Waived: Alz-ner Well That Ends Well (Cleared waivers, reported to Laval)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Alzner has too much pride, he will go play in the KHL and won't attend the AHL team.

That would be the best because if he refuses to report and wants to go play in Europe, then it's contract termination and his entire cap hit comes off the book instead of just $1.25M if he goes to Laval. Which is still over a million on the cap.

Reactions: ForrestHabsGump

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Weber back on Tuesday seems unreal. Now with Alzner waved, Juulsen hopefully back soon, Mete needs to grow up and play better. His first goal should help him if he ever gets it. The D will be 100% better. Still need to replace Ben and Schlemko, but that'll come eventually.

Mete had a great game agaisnt Boston - playing with Alzner, no less :amazed:

Reactions: Rapala

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not surprised, had to be done, mistake made mistake corrected let's move on

Unless someone claims him (which I very highly doubt) the mistake will still be around on the Habs cap hit for another 6 years after this season if the Habs do buy him out this summer.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Flashback to the summer of 2017:

DUB86CAXcAANSgG.jpg

Too soon? :sarcasm:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
so my guess is : No other GM wanted Schlemko, Alzner and Benn.

This just prove how freaking bad they are seen in the league.

Nobody wanted Shclemko when we got him. We paid a 5th round pick for him. No reason to believe his value is any higher today. It's probably lower the way he is playing right now. If i'm a team i would take a chance with a guy like Kulak way before getting Schlemko.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nice! We should of waived Alzner and not lost DLR for nothing. A move made a bit too late IMO. But it's encouraging to see Bergevin getting away from being pro Alzner types. He made a mistake by signing Alzner. Now the measure of how good of a GM he is is his ability to admit to that mistake and move on from it learning something

Sorry Alzner, you deserve it! A wake up call for you! Go down and help Lindgren and the GAA. Show us you are better than what you have been showing and you might get another shot. Until then, enjoy the bus rides or retire. Your choice.

So if Alzner retires (premature but might happen), he don't count on the cap right?

Fenwick McCorsi

Not impress.
Mar 3, 2013
Montreal, QC
Most moves that seem off to fans usually have some nuance, something we may not see and some value we may not perceive. Not with Alzner: everyone in the NHL, fans to owners, had to know taking anything but a very short term gamble on him was absolutely insane. Only Bergevin and friends thought he needed to be locked up quick and that they'd "won the sweepstakes" that no one else was participating in.

Just remember, the GM said this off-season we'd not seen the real Karl Alzner, that he was so much better. What made him think this? Why did those words come out of his mouth? I know he has to back his move but ultimately it just makes him look more stubborn and stupid. I really hope Bergevin doesn't see this team as "a couple gritty moves from the playoffs". The Canadiens motto of "Perpetual mediocrity and reminiscing is fun" needs to stop and now's the time to do it.

I wish Karl the best, had a nice time chatting with him during the Habs season ticket holder event to start the year, super chill guy, but my goodness what a ridiculous signing.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I'm positive he will be...either with the Habs or some other team.

This isn't the last we've heard from him.

This wont last for long. Yeah another team maybe will try him but i give him a season or two max before he is officially out of the league (in fact retires cause he's too slow for decent European leagues). This is if someone is willing to give him a shot with this salary.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
Alzner has too much pride, he will go play in the KHL and won't attend the AHL team.

That would be the best because if he refuses to report and wants to go play in Europe, then it's contract termination and his entire cap hit comes off the book instead of just $1.25M if he goes to Laval. Which is still over a million on the cap.

Russia says nyet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad