OT: Alternate things to do for 2nd tier fans.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Oil Kings!

This, and there are plenty of great NHL teams to follow. As mentioned, Calgary is a gritty, solid team. Watch the Kings - Toffoli is something special. LA is a dynasty in the making.

I've been basically rubbernecking at the Oilers for years now. So many of the threads/posts about callups/senddowns/line combos/etc are utterly pointless to me. This team was built to fail until the kids are in their prime. This org doesn't deserve my time until then.

Other things I've been into, besides more time with family:

- NFL, NCAA football
- Comic books
- More TV (so many great shows out right now)

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
pretty much have bailed, myself. The team bailed when they entered the season with 2 NHL centres, so why shouldn't we?

1. will go to Varscona and Citadel at least twice this winter
2. ESO at the Winspear at least once
3. Oilkings, Golden Bears and Rush all the way
4 Saturday nites watch more NBA and UFC. Also, hold a few Monopoly game nites and Crib tournaments.
5. took up Cross country skiing last winter. Continue. maybe join a club

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
How sad is this, right? When I think of all the years and all the enjoyment this team has given me. Wednesday nights watching the games on ITV with my dad. Stanley Cup parades. Hockey pools. Playoff parties. And the hundred other things that make being a fan so special, and make me feel just a little sorry for people who have never understood the appeal of sports.

I hate that I'm losing that. I hate that this organization has taken that away from us.

same here. I pretty much can barely stand watching the NHL. KLowe has ruined it for me. I just get depressed.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
No offense but I find it odd that some of you said that you're bailing on the team yet still post religiously on an Oilers message board about the Oilers.

I don't really blame you if you want to bail on the team (I wish i could drop the Oilers as well but i can't) but lets be honest here, it seems like a lot of big talk.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
No offense but I find it odd that some of you said that you're bailing on the team yet still post religiously on an Oilers message board about the Oilers.

I don't really blame you if you want to bail on the team (I wish i could drop the Oilers as well but i can't) but lets be honest here, it seems like a lot of big talk.

You're only kidding yourself if you think that the activity by veteran posters on this board is any more than a minute fraction of what it was several years ago.

Posting religiously, maybe like a C&E Christian.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
Sadly... I find myself agreeing with you.

Burke/Brad Treliving >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lowe/MacT

Bob Hartley >>>>>>>>>>>>>~Eakins

Giordano >>>>>>>>> Entire Oilers defensive corps

Oilers are a joke in this league now for an entire generation! :help:

Lets rephrase that:
Giordano, Brodie, Wideman & Russell >>>>>>>>>>> Entire Oilers Defensive Corps

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

You're only kidding yourself if you think that the activity by veteran posters on this board is any more than a minute fraction of what it was several years ago.

To respond to both of these a messageboard starts to take on a form of a community of sorts and one gets a chance to talk to other people about various topics for a long period of time. Including yourselves. So theres that interaction, then I also post here on OT topics, Eskimos, arena topics etc.

For those not familiar this is the biggest Edmonton themed board on the internet, of any type. C2E, other boards don't come close. That's part of the appeal for me at least is its grassroots breadth and occasional knowledge bases on various topics.

I never stated I would stop following the club altogether or stop posting or anything so its not that, just that i'm again looking for other things to do. Similar to a lockout year as I stated. The only difference being a particular team that I don't have a lot of want to currently watch is playing.

The change has already occurred btw. I'm an avid viewer of games typically. Being that I discuss hockey a lot and plays a lot it was also typical for me to sometimes watch games, periods, sequences over and over. This year theres complete games that I haven't watched AT ALL. For instance the Nucks game.

So a pretty significant disconnect is already occurring. To the point where I'm even avoiding watching a game when I have the time. To that end discussing other activities with posters gives me more ideas in which to avoid the present product.

REally with a team this outright miserable I consider a thread like this a public service if anything.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Oh i know and it's a shame that some of those veteran posters don't post much anymore but i've seen the rhetoric from some saying that they are dropping the team yet they are in various Oiler threads discussing the Oilers.

Again, not saying that i blame them for souring on the team. I've lost some of my passion as well, but I don't see how you can say that you're giving up on the team yet still continue to post about the Oilers. JMO
If i ever make a clean break from the team (which i know will never happen), i'll be done with everything Oilers related.

In any event, i have enjoyed watching out of town hockey this season. As much as i hate to admit it, the Flames are a fun team to watch. The Islanders (the Oilers of the east so to speak, or at least used to be) are another team that i quite enjoy watching. It's a nice break from the Oilers to see good hockey being played.

Edit: Fair enough Replacement, i see where you're coming from. I think most of us are losing passion for the team in some way shape or form.
However, any outside of hockey activities that i do aren't contingent on the Oilers success or lack thereof. I always find time to have a life outside of the Oilers.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
How sad is this, right? When I think of all the years and all the enjoyment this team has given me. Wednesday nights watching the games on ITV with my dad. Stanley Cup parades. Hockey pools. Playoff parties. And the hundred other things that make being a fan so special, and make me feel just a little sorry for people who have never understood the appeal of sports.

I hate that I'm losing that. I hate that this organization has taken that away from us.

This comes the closest to capturing some of my feelings. I did inherit my love of sports from Dad, RIP, and with the Oilers particularly there seems like less reason every week to continue to engage in this product which only ends up being an unpleasant experience. I've caught myself watching games thinking why am I doing this. Frankly I look at that as a positive as it is essentially wasting time. But on something not enjoyable.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
I got netflix a couple months ago and am enjoying it immensely. If you have never tried it, I definitely recommend it.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
im stuck in the crap zone, i am done watching for the most part, my nights dont revolve around when the oilers are playing anymore. On the flip side my 8 year old loves hockey and wants to watch as much as we can when we arent at hockey or shooting pucks in the garage. so this week especially cause the games are on earlier i am going to watch them with him.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
my second passion is golfing.. and well I can't even enjoy that now until next April/May. FML.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Oh i know and it's a shame that some of those veteran posters don't post much anymore but i've seen the rhetoric from some saying that they are dropping the team yet they are in various Oiler threads discussing the Oilers.

Again, not saying that i blame them for souring on the team. I've lost some of my passion as well, but it don't see how you can say that you're giving up on the team yet still continue to post about the Oilers. JMO

In any event, i have enjoyed watching out of town hockey this season. As much as i hate to admit it, the Flames are a fun team to watch. The Islanders (the Oilers of the east so to speak, or at least used to be) are another team that i quite enjoy watching. It's a nice break from the Oilers to see good hockey being played.

It's in the blood. I can't kill my thirst for a return to the glory days. But I'm really good at missing periods, games, and debates over which AHL player should be benched for which other AHL player to help us win NHL games. Although some posters may still post about what interests them, I'd bet that they spend less time reading (sitting in church, as it were).

I haven't watched the Isles much, as my free time tends to be in the late evening. I'll be watching a few more Yotes games and fuelling the Gagner love from all HF Oil posters in the future. Because the reactions here are usually far more entertaining than the product itself here in Edmonton. :laugh:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
On Sunday the Just For Laughs Comedy Tour is at the Winspear, I believe there's still tickets available.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
if i were to stop watching some of the games, (i don't go to more than 1 per year due to the cost!!) i would just spend more time on the 'net as well as TV. i have lots of shows PVR'd and enjoy them all. there is also NFL when available. for the first time in years, i stopped watching an Oilers game after the Preds got their 3-0 goal just 24 seconds into the 3rd period when we played Nashville because sometimes you can see how things are going to end up. i just started watching TV instead. as it turns out, i didn't miss anything. :(

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
if i were to stop watching some of the games, (i don't go to more than 1 per year due to the cost!!) i would just spend more time on the 'net as well as TV. i have lots of shows PVR'd and enjoy them all. there is also NFL when available. for the first time in years, i stopped watching an Oilers game after the Preds got their 3-0 goal just 24 seconds into the 3rd period when we played Nashville because sometimes you can see how things are going to end up. i just started watching TV instead. as it turns out, i didn't miss anything. :(

I've started watching Gotham and The Flash, in addition to The Walking Dead, Homeland, The Americans, all the cartoons, and a host of others. Always looking for new suggestions.

Hall is usually the reason that I might stick around with a 2-goal deficit. The next month feels like a forced vacation.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
^HGTV , History Channel, and AMC is where i get most of my shows from. for movies, i get vintage ones from TMC channel 49, The Americans on FX 156, some good shows and movies from APTN channel 229, and of course the sport channels with hockey/baseball/football. add the internet and i find that if the Oilers depress me this year as much as they did last year, and i forced myself to watch EVERY game, then i WILL NOT put myself through that again and will turn to the above mentioned entertainment as an alternative.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
^HGTV , History Channel, and AMC is where i get most of my shows from. for movies, i get vintage ones from TMC channel 49, The Americans on FX 156, some good shows and movies from APTN channel 229, and of course the sport channels with hockey/baseball/football. add the internet and i find that if the Oilers depress me this year as much as they did last year, and i forced myself to watch EVERY game, then i WILL NOT put myself through that again and will turn to the above mentioned entertainment as an alternative.

I helped my wife kick her HGTV habit by cancelling our tv package. That stuff is really addictive. Not to mention the cost of unnecessary home renos.

BackhandToeyJoey

Jan 16, 2013
my second passion is golfing.. and well I can't even enjoy that now until next April/May. FML.

Aren't there indoor golfing ranges in Edmonton? Not even close to the same thing but at least you could work on your drive.

Also going to the gym helped me a lot to steer away from the Oilers when I'm not feeling the game. I'm a young guy so I still skate and even work on my fastball when I find the time.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I watch the NBA, I find it relaxing to watch sport that I'm not particularly emotionally invested in. It's the only other pro sport that's usually on when the Oilers play, so if the Oilers game gets ugly or I'm bored out of my mind, I'll just PVR the Oilers game in case something interesting happens and switch over to watch some NBA.

There's not much on network TV I like. I'm a Batman fan so I guess I could check out Gotham, but otherwise ... meh.

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013

It depends what you mean by "bailing on the team".

I will never stop following this organization. I will read the news articles and check the scores. I'll browse the message boards. I'll keep up to date on trades and signings. The Oilers are just too ingrained as a part of my connection to the city I grew up in and will always call home. It's a part of my identity.

But that identity is changing. For 30 years, an Oilers game got my undivided attention. It was not unlike going to church. "Keep the kids upstairs, honey, the Oilers are playing." And on any given night, whether we won or lost, there was still a reason to look forward to the next game, and it still felt good to wear any piece of clothing that had the logo on it. Even in recent years as we've been wallowing at the bottom of the standings, that loyalty and hope never really waned too much.

This year, for the first time I can remember, I've almost entirely stopped watching the games. I don't buy the teeshirts and ball caps anymore. I don't get as happy after a win, or as upset after a loss. It's not like I'm actively boycotting the organization, I've just stopped caring the way I used to.

I've always believed a sporting franchise survives by selling hope. When that's no longer part of the package, the fans don't "bail" so much as they just lose interest. And that's where I'm at, finally, this season. It's been a long time building, but it's finally happened.

And so when game day rolls around, I just find I have other things I'd rather be doing. And I can't remember ever saying that.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada

coming on here is part of the soap opera/gong show. it's not really about watching hockey. If the Oiler were like Detroit or LA, there'd be far less traffic on here.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
It depends what you mean by "bailing on the team".

I will never stop following this organization. I will read the news articles and check the scores. I'll browse the message boards. I'll keep up to date on trades and signings. The Oilers are just too ingrained as a part of my connection to the city I grew up in and will always call home. It's a part of my identity.

But that identity is changing. For 30 years, an Oilers game got my undivided attention. It was not unlike going to church. "Keep the kids upstairs, honey, the Oilers are playing." And on any given night, whether we won or lost, there was still a reason to look forward to the next game, and it still felt good to wear any piece of clothing that had the logo on it. Even in recent years as we've been wallowing at the bottom of the standings, that loyalty and hope never really waned too much.

This year, for the first time I can remember, I've almost entirely stopped watching the games. I don't buy the teeshirts and ball caps anymore. I don't get as happy after a win, or as upset after a loss. It's not like I'm actively boycotting the organization, I've just stopped caring the way I used to.

I've always believed a sporting franchise survives by selling hope. When that's no longer part of the package, the fans don't "bail" so much as they just lose interest. And that's where I'm at, finally, this season. It's been a long time building, but it's finally happened.

And so when game day rolls around, I just find I have other things I'd rather be doing. And I can't remember ever saying that.

well said. that's pretty much where I am at, too. just no hope, anymore. I don't believe the guys running the team have the answers. i don't believe the guys running the team have the right philosophy for winning.

I am officially a fair weather fan. when they are good, I'll be back. until then, they can bite me.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
coming on here is part of the soap opera/gong show. it's not really about watching hockey. If the Oiler were like Detroit or LA, there'd be far less traffic on here.

I doubt it. During the 2006 SCF run this board was fun to be around and a lot busier. Those GDTs were epic because of how well the team was playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad