OT: Alternate things to do for 2nd tier fans.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
With Hall out the season is guaranteed to be another gong show not that it isn't already.

Already kind of bailed out on even bothering to watch some of the games.

First timer for this. I've never balied on the Oilers before and been a fan since 72. I feel time spent following/watching this club is wasted and not particularly valuable. Connection with this team and org is eroding.

Wondering if we could have an Edmonton based kind of list of alternate things to do.

Stuff I'm getting into more lately;

Concerts, Eskimos, Golden Bears, Home improvement projects, Got Citadel Seasons tickets which is MUCH MUCH better entertainment for fraction of the price.

Via Rail also having their express specials makes riding the rails an attractive option when you get some days off work. Saskatoon 51bucks on sale. Vancouver costs 130bucks. Jasper around 50bucks on sale.

I'll probably go down to Vancouver for GC week. Via Rail has a pretty good party atmosphere if going to a GC anywhere in Canada.

Plan on putting my Showshoes to more use this winter. Do some more finishing in the basement, already redid the Garage. I'm working out more and getting outside for long nature walks. Lots of nice places to do that in Edmonton. Recommend Snow valley hike any time of year. Also hiking around Fort Edmonton and across foot bridge is nice all year activity.

I'm going to try to pretend this is a lockout or relegation year and anybody can do the same if anybody is with me. I'll Try to minimize Oiler watching unless I'm in need of comic relief which tbh is the only reason I watch at all by now.

Anybody got some activity ideas?

Last edited:

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Hopefully cycling season lasts for a while longer. It's a bit chilly out but still very nice riding weather.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hopefully cycling season lasts for a while longer. It's a bit chilly out but still very nice riding weather.

Haven't replaced my bike yet after I blew out a rim..don't ask.. heh.

It was time to go out back and shoot the old mountain bike anyway. Got +dozen years (stopped counting) out of a Costco bike special.

Looking forward to Meadows Rec center opening soon. Plan on hitting that one up regularly.

New Library there too.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Don't, outside of the Stampede there's nothing to do here. And even then when you've seen the Stampede once you've seen it every time. Calgary is a very boring city, but maybe that's just because I've spent almost 25 years here.

CFF is pretty good down there. Good venue too. River valley, Kensington is nice enough.

But year Calgary in winter pretty much bites for a road trip.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Don't, outside of the Stampede there's nothing to do here. And even then when you've seen the Stampede once you've seen it every time. Calgary is a very boring city, but maybe that's just because I've spent almost 25 years here.

There's a lot to do here, but I suppose that depends on how active you are.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Well when the snow falls (which it just did) that severely limits your options.

Again, depends on what you consider to be entertaining. Sure, it's not exactly in Calgary, but if you enjoy winter sports, the mountains are very close. Yes, once again, subjective to what your interests happen to be.

If you don't agree with that assessment, because of the location, there's COP, which has a very good park, which is again snowboard/skiing related. Then there's tonnes of ODRs available around the city which are open for use. Hockey Canada is up there as well, and we usually see a lot of the training camps for our u17/18 teams up there.

The nightlife in and around Calgary isn't bad if you know where to go and where to stay away from, and being one of the fastest growing metropolitan cities in Canada, we're seeing expanding interest of musical tours and general shows towards our city.

I was born and was brought up in Edmonton, and have lived in Calgary for several years. IMO, there's a lot more to do here than up in Edmonton.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I was planning on going to see the Oilers and Blackhawks on November 22. However, after watching that tire fire to start the season and now Hall being out (as you mentioned) I decided to use my usual fall Edmonton trip to go see Sam Roberts Band play at the Jubilee on November 15. Half the price and 100% more entertaining for me since I enjoy that kind of music.

Sorry Oilers you don't get my money this year. No Soup for you!

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
The past few years I have taken a month off and traveled the south west US and Hawaii.

Even just taking a short trip and going to Vegas, LA, or San Fran would be a nice break.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Got NHL Gamecentre Live for $75 per season. First year getting it, and it's awesome. The Penguins are my favorite team to watch. They usually blow out the opposition.

How does gamecentre work? I got it for free from my "myrogers" account for the season, but it uses data on my plan when streaming? Does it use data even if I'm connected to wifi?

sportsdynasty

Mar 31, 2011
www.nhltraderumors.me
How does gamecentre work? I got it for free from my "myrogers" account for the season, but it uses data on my plan when streaming? Does it use data even if I'm connected to wifi?

Disable mobile data, enable wifi if you don't want to use data. I purchased regular Gamecentre with a VPN. Found it for $75 in Russia. Watch it on my Xbox, which is hooked up to a big screen TV.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Disable mobile data, enable wifi if you don't want to use data. I purchased regular Gamecentre with a VPN. Found it for $75 in Russia. Watch it on my Xbox, which is hooked up to a big screen TV.

Yeah, I want to watch it on my ps4, but was a little worried after reading this:
About 1GB per game if you're streaming Rogers NHL GameCentre Liveâ„¢ and GamePlusâ„¢ to a smartphone or approximately 2 to 5GB per game if you're streaming to a tablet, computer, gaming console or TV. This also applies to classic games, or games of lesser picture quality (games not in HD).

Data usage exceeding your plan allotment (overage) is charged in increments, rounded up to the next MB or GB (as applicable based on your plan). Standard roaming charges apply when not on the Rogers wireless network.

How can one use data, especially that much data through a gaming console?

Kinibo

Apr 11, 2013
First timer for this. I've never balied on the Oilers before and been a fan since 72. I feel time spent following/watching this club is wasted and not particularly valuable. Connection with this team and org is eroding.

How sad is this, right? When I think of all the years and all the enjoyment this team has given me. Wednesday nights watching the games on ITV with my dad. Stanley Cup parades. Hockey pools. Playoff parties. And the hundred other things that make being a fan so special, and make me feel just a little sorry for people who have never understood the appeal of sports.

I hate that I'm losing that. I hate that this organization has taken that away from us.

Gambl0r83*

Your posting on the Oilers board, on ways to ignore them. Have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yeah, I want to watch it on my ps4, but was a little worried after reading this:

How can one use data, especially that much data through a gaming console?

Streaming uses data. Even streamed, 3'ish hours of HD video will take a few gigs. Streaming is just a download that you don't get to keep.

This is only really an issue due to Canada having third world bandwidth caps.

In related news Taylor Hall's absence seems like it will perfectly match the remainder of the semester, so at the very least my GPA should benefit from gaining 9-10 hours a week to spend on writing.

Last edited:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Watch the Flames, seriously. They have a pretty compelling combination of youth, skill and defense. Brodie and Giordano could be one of the top D pairs in hockey. Johnny Hockey is slick. Plus they are doing it with most of their centers out. Their depth of young skill is impressive. This is one rebuild going the right direction. Plus they have some of the best management in the game.

Does anyone really feel the rivalry that was there years ago. When they play the Oil it seems more like we are playing an eastern conference team than the Flames.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Watch the Flames, seriously. They have a pretty compelling combination of youth, skill and defense. Brodie and Giordano could be one of the top D pairs in hockey. Johnny Hockey is slick. Plus they are doing it with most of their centers out. Their depth of young skill is impressive. This is one rebuild going the right direction. Plus they have some of the best management in the game.

Does anyone really feel the rivalry that was there years ago. When they play the Oil it seems more like we are playing an eastern conference team than the Flames.

Sadly... I find myself agreeing with you.

Burke/Brad Treliving >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lowe/MacT

Bob Hartley >>>>>>>>>>>>>~Eakins

Giordano >>>>>>>>> Entire Oilers defensive corps

Oilers are a joke in this league now for an entire generation! :help:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad