OT: Almost 70% want baseball back in Montreal

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Obviously if a team ever came back it would be conditional on a new stadium being built. Not anywhere near the pie ix location, that whole area is wayyyyyy too ghetto.

If the stadium was built with a bit of entertainment surrounding it, bars, restos, movie theatre. You can bet it could get 20k+ a game. After 3 years, the team would have to be competitive though. There's no point to bringing back a team with owners who plan to have a 70m payroll. Montreal would need a rich owner who could put out a 100m team, otherwise there's no point to bringing a team here. I hate soccer, I think watching grass grow is probably 10 times more exciting than soccer. The ALS are ok, but you are talking about a handful of games. The habs haven't done anything in 20 years, squat. I would like another professional team, montreal has the population to support it. Why wouldn't you guys support a team? Your tax dollars currently pay the office de la langue francaise. At least an MLB team will bring in tourists and tax dollars from players and civic pride if we win.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Listen people with the exception of Tampa Bay a owner has to spend 100million a year to have a competive team.In Montreal is there a billionaire who loves baseball and is willing to spend coin.I know the Brofmans like baseball along with hockey but is there more.Desmarais family have coin but have no interest

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
The Expos would do fine with a downtown baseball stadium. The big O is pathetic inside, depressing, and who the hell wants to go there way at pie IX

Look at the Alouettes they were about to go bankrupt again drawing like 8,000 average in 1997 at the big o. In 1998 they went to Percival and it immediately doubled to 16,000.

Now the key is there needs to be some significant private money to push for the stadium/team, I think some investors would need to put up at least 100$ million for a share of stadium construction it before the city/province look to get involved.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
The Expos would do fine with a downtown baseball stadium. The big O is pathetic inside, depressing, and who the hell wants to go there way at pie IX

Look at the Alouettes they were about to go bankrupt again drawing like 8,000 average in 1997 at the big o. In 1998 they went to Percival and it immediately doubled to 16,000.

Now the key is there needs to be some significant private money to push for the stadium/team, I think some investors would need to put up at least 100$ million for a share of stadium construction it before the city/province look to get involved.

First off, football in the Big O is terrible compared to baseball.

Secondly, why do you want the government to get involved at all? If the MLB can come back to Montreal, it better be without government money.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009

Is there even land DT to build a stadium? I know the Decarie/Blue Bonnets location would have been perfect, they wanted to build restaurants, sports bars all around it. I think if you build a good base of entertainment options all around the stadium people will fill it up. Montreal is seriously lacking anything exciting aside from crescent/st-laurent. Unfortunately I just don't see the land available dt.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Secondly, why do you want the government to get involved at all? If the MLB can come back to Montreal, it better be without government money.

This is Quebec lol... of course govt will be involved. The city of QC and provincial govt spent $400 million on the new arena there.

Is there even land DT to build a stadium? I know the Decarie/Blue Bonnets location would have been perfect, they wanted to build restaurants, sports bars all around it. I think if you build a good base of entertainment options all around the stadium people will fill it up. Montreal is seriously lacking anything exciting aside from crescent/st-laurent. Unfortunately I just don't see the land available dt.

There's some spots. Where the old planetarium is, the waterfront by the bonaventure expressway. You could build it on the Meadowbrooke golf course in mo west too. That's right by the 20.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
There's some spots. Where the old planetarium is, the waterfront by the bonaventure expressway. You could build it on the Meadowbrooke golf course in mo west too. That's right by the 20.
OK relax. Right now people are complaining it's not downtown enough and too far east, you know that is gonna be too far west for people. Not even a metro line there.

The Korean*

Has any current MLB stadium been built with private money? Any new stadiums I mean.

Which already rules out Miami.

Apr 6, 2011
Polls in general is such a Pejorative Slured concept.

Q: Do you want the expos back in Montreal ?
A: Yea, I mean, sure, whatever, why not ?

*check yes*

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
A new MLB team? Why, so that it can relocate, like the Expos? Better a second NHL team, perhaps in Laval.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
The poll should ask ''would you regularly attend MLB games if they were back in montreal?''

I mean I'd vote yes if asked if I want baseball back in Montreal even tho I couldn't care less. It means nothing. Ask people in Paris if they want a NHL team and a lot would likely say ''what ze hell iz zis? bah why note!''

The Korean*

A new MLB team? Why, so that it can relocate, like the Expos? Better a second NHL team, perhaps in Laval.

I assume if Montreal gets another team they have a new stadium, so they wouldnt relocate.

Good news folks, Bud Selig is retiring Jan 15!

HabsByTheBay

Dec 3, 2010
London
With 2 TV Stations vying for the rights, and the new way wealth is distributed in the MLB, attendance isn't THAT important anymore. I think the MLB is aware of this, and would enjoy more TV and AD revenue from an 8 million people province that's largely untapped, and that's why Cromartie is getting good vibes with MLB management.

Note, MLB management. Selig, I don't know.

But a new stadium is required, like for the Nordiques, except the O was always a bad baseball field. That's the big problem right there. Not many billion dollars flying around in QC right now.

Attendance is still important, but a new ballpark would be required (as you note) and that would go a long way towards fixing the attendance problem. People coo over Jarry Park but Steve Rogers had it right - the place was a dump. Same with the Big O.

Think about AT&T Park or Camden Yards in Montreal. Would people go? Almost certainly.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
First off, football in the Big O is terrible compared to baseball.

haha, post of the day.

Baseball in the big-o is awful.

The venue is more important in baseball than in hockey (or maybe football). baseball stadiums are all unique, and there layout can be different. No sport venue is better than a beautiful ball park. This alone is a huge factor to why people go to games.

Build a nice stadium just like what every other team in the league (hell, even the ''dump'' rogers centre has a retractable roof and is downtown) and fans will show up.

Mathradio

Drive for 25
Oct 11, 2010
consanguinephysics.wordpress.com
At this stage I'd see the NBA in this city before baseball ever comes back. Less capital expenditures required, all we really need at this point is competent management and a competent owner capable of bankrolling the entire basketball thing.

The Korean*

haha, post of the day.

Baseball in the big-o is awful.

The venue is more important in baseball than in hockey (or maybe football). baseball stadiums are all unique, and there layout can be different. No sport venue is better than a beautiful ball park. This alone is a huge factor to why people go to games.

Build a nice stadium just like what every other team in the league (hell, even the ''dump'' rogers centre has a retractable roof and is downtown) and fans will show up.
The problem is this, who will build the stadium? If that hurdle is overcome and theres a willing owner, Expos will return.

attachetatuque

un gros bonhomme!
Feb 1, 2013
who's going to pay for that new stadium? no way its public money cause we don't have it. this is hyped up by TSN 990. the last 20 years of their existence the big 0 was empty! It's just nostalgia hitting.

Honestly, not a huge fan of the MLB, simply because I don't like watching the sport. I'd never say no to playing though! But if this was to happen, they need to build this new stadium downtown, make sure they get a solid management (that's partially the reason why they failed on and off the field), and WIN (which was the other reason). Baseball is just not that entertaining enough to stand watching a losing team for a long period of time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad