TSN: Allvin to be named Canucks next GM

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Ron Hextall hired Ron Hextall to be his assistant GM. Hextall also names Ronald Hextall as head scout and head of analytics.

Last edited:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
...which those are terrific players. Particularly Hughes, I think.

You CAN build a winner on that. But I feel like maybe some Vancouver fans start getting visions of Cups dancing in their heads when they look at JR. But I think it's going to require a lot of work and at least one more legit core piece. I'm not 100% convinced that Pettersson will match his promise from a couple years back, for instance. Demko is 26.

I'm just saying that while GMs here had plenty to do with all the success... I think we all know who the real needle-movers on this team have always been.
trust me we are not expecting a stanley cup after 50 years of failure, we are simply excited that the people in charge have an average iq above 100

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pettersson, Demko, Hughes is the core.

They have nice young pieces in Hoglander, Podkozlin, Klimovich and Rathbone.

Yeah, I think that's a solid foundation. Honestly, this - plus Miller, Horvat, Garland, Boeser - shouldn't have too many problems making the Pacific playoffs. Which lines up with what is happening with Boudreau.

On paper it looks like they need acquire another core member, and find a way to sweep away as much of the smegma surrounding the good players as possible, which means taking a step back. But we'll see what happens. There's potential to retool and be playoff competitive quickly though, that's for sure.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
trust me we are not expecting a stanley cup after 50 years of failure, we are simply excited that the people in charge have an average iq above 100

And honestly I hope Vancouver has nothing but success under JR. Maybe I have my doubts but even if I basically have no use for any other team outside of the Penguins I've always kinda had a soft spot for Vancouver. Probably going back to the Naslund, Mogilny and Bure days. I always admired Linden as a great leader, too. And your fanbase and myself share a burning, everlasting hatred for Messier so that's cool, too.

Reactions: God

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah, I think that's a solid foundation. Honestly, this - plus Miller, Horvat, Garland, Boeser - shouldn't have too many problems making the Pacific playoffs. Which lines up with what is happening with Boudreau.

On paper it looks like they need acquire another core member, and find a way to sweep away as much of the smegma surrounding the good players as possible, which means taking a step back. But we'll see what happens. There's potential to retool and be playoff competitive quickly though, that's for sure.

Well yeah, that looks fine, but then you add in OEL, Myers, Poolman, Holtby but out etc and you have no cap flexibility.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And you assume JR has that?

I presume you understand this is the same bloke that traded Hagelin retained, then tried to get him back without understanding he can't because he retained. Then signed Jack Johnson to his contract and made many other suspect moves that are still being fixed.

Shero started something and lost the plot. JR came in and saw what was done and fixed it just enough to win cups.

JR is coming in with his yes man trying to fix a team in cap hell. There's no decent ground work, outside of drafting talent and paying them a ton and now having to fix the holes while having no cap and those big contracts to move to fix said holes during a time the cap isn't moving much at all in the right way.

I think McFarland was the better call and someone else as the mentor would have been the right move.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Well yeah, that looks fine, but then you add in OEL, Myers, Poolman, Holtby but out etc and you have no cap flexibility.

I did say they needed to find a way to sweep away as much of the smegma as possible - that and score a hit or two from super cheap free agents, NCAA signings, Euros, etc.etc.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
100 is the average IQ. I think we can all agree that he's around there at the very least.

Have you heard Jim Benning speak?
Has Jim Benning made a retained deal and then tried to get that player back not knowing he couldn't do that?

His whole job would be to know the rules in which he makes his moves in.

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
And you assume JR has that?

I presume you understand this is the same bloke that traded Hagelin retained, then tried to get him back without understanding he can't because he retained. Then signed Jack Johnson to his contract and made many other suspect moves that are still being fixed.

I'm assuming one of the other AGM's snuck that in there so he couldn't.:laugh:

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Has Jim Benning made a retained deal and then tried to get that player back not knowing he couldn't do that?

His whole job would be to know the rules in which he makes his moves in.

Not necessarily - a front office structure has specific people for specific roles - some for vision, some for cap, some for pro scouting, etc. I don't know which situation you're talking about but IIRC Botterill would've been the cap/legal guy who should've known something like that. It's an embarassing mistake that doesn't necessarily fall on his shoulders (though it could have if for some reason the Pens didn't have a cap/legal guy at the time for whatever reason).

On that note, Benning *didn't* have a guy like that after they fired Gilman and proceeded to try and sign Tryamkin to an illegal deal (I think they gave him a 3-year deal when he was only allowed 2), resulting in the league sending a sternly worded email to Jim and CCing every single general manager in the league about the rules.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not necessarily - a front office structure has specific people for specific roles - some for vision, some for cap, some for pro scouting, etc. I don't know which situation you're talking about but IIRC Botterill would've been the cap/legal guy who should've known something like that. It's an embarassing mistake that doesn't necessarily fall on his shoulders (though it could have if for some reason the Pens didn't have a cap/legal guy at the time for whatever reason).

On that note, Benning *didn't* have a guy like that after they fired Gilman and proceeded to try and sign Tryamkin to an illegal deal (I think they gave him a 3-year deal when he was only allowed 2), resulting in the league sending a sternly worded email to Jim and CCing every single general manager in the league about the rules.
You don't remember correctly.

Botterill wasn't the AGM.

Also that move destroyed the dressing room. I like how you canucks fans justify JR when we've dealt with his bs and still are, yet you're trashing Benning and not seeing the irony in that at all. You lot will never learn.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
My favorite is the Hornqvist trade that JR made, announced, and then the whole team front office had to squelch it and walk it back for like 72 hours until they actually figured out how it could be done.

And I say this as a Matheson fan.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
My favorite is the Hornqvist trade that JR made, announced, and then the whole team front office had to squelch it and walk it back for like 72 hours until they actually figured out how it could be done.

And I say this as a Matheson fan.

Well the important thing is he got to announce something and everyone was looking at him.

My favorite though was when he completely biffed the cap and the team had to play with an incomplete roster for a few games.

Or maybe trying to re-acquire Hagelin a month after he traded him?

Ahhhh memories.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
You don't remember correctly.

Botterill wasn't the AGM.

Also that move destroyed the dressing room. I like how you canucks fans justify JR when we've dealt with his bs and still are, yet you're trashing Benning and not seeing the irony in that at all. You lot will never learn.
I'm not sure why you're being so hostile - I'm just pointing out that front offices are most often structured to disseminate roles to ensure things like the Hagelin retention scenario don't happen. It almost for sure wasn't JR's role to know the specifics of the CBA, but he certainly needed to have someone who did know that.

From what I read about potential GM candidates, Botterill was that guy in Pittsburgh for a while, but he may have been gone at that point - so it would fall on JR to replace him. If he didn't replace him, that falls on him. It's not really an IQ thing at all.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm not sure why you're being so hostile - I'm just pointing out that front offices are most often structured to disseminate roles to ensure things like the Hagelin retention scenario don't happen. It almost for sure wasn't JR's role to know the specifics of the CBA, but he certainly needed to have someone who did know that.

From what I read about potential GM candidates, Botterill was that guy in Pittsburgh for a while, but he may have been gone at that point - so it would fall on JR to replace him. If he didn't replace him, that falls on him. It's not really an IQ thing at all.
JR has the bare minimum of IQ is what we're saying based on years of his service here.

You lot have months and know better apparently.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
JR has the bare minimum of IQ is what we're saying based on years of his service here.

You lot have months and know better apparently.
I mean, the only thing I said was that JR is smarter than Benning. He has 3 Stanley Cups as a GM. Benning was a GM once and has a team near the cap that's at the bottom of the league. I don't really think I'm being that controversial here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad