Allowing NHLers to show their personalities

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
See, this is actually where you are so wrong.

If the Leafs had Marner, Matthews, Nylander and whoever livestream themselves playing a game of fortnite one night that would literally be the only thing kids in Toronto would talk about.

I'd bet college kids would even be talking about it. I mean I was in sitting in class the day after Drake was streaming with a Fortnite player and its all anyone wanted to talk about that morning.

You might not understand or want it but that doesn't mean others don't.
Lol sorry bad example.

Having ass hats land their helicopter at training camp isn’t going to make the league more appealing

snag

Feb 22, 2014
:laugh:

How does players expressing themselves and having a personality lead to not winning or not being a good teammate?

Jeez, you really do sound like a grumpy old fart. Your words, not mine.

Wow....I was making an observation based on what I read. I never said one thing or another. But thanks for making my point....quick to jump. That a Leafs/Oilers thing there?

ANYWAY.... now that you called me out on complete bull shit premise...

Personally...I like the guys dressing up. It shows class and style. But I also think they can have fun with it. Do I want them showing up in torn jeans and a concert tee? No. They are supposed to be professionals afterall. They have the means to be extravagant, flamboyant AND stylish...if that is what they want to do in a tasteful and respectful way.....do it up!

BUT if the NHL ever goes this way...well I am going 100% strictly junior. LOL

Last edited:

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
Every player can go on social media and show off their cool cars, flashy chains, and expensive clothes. Every team does fun/stupid player video segments where they take the guys away from the rink and let them show how they're just regular guys who laugh at regular jokes. There's ample opportunities for them to capture attention if they want it. There's ample means for them to "show their personalities."

These guys aren't being repressed just because they're asked to wear a suit to the game.

Reactions: easton117

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Pretty sure players walk on egg-shells during those "look, we're like normal people" video segments as well.

I kind of see both sides of it.

On the one hand, it's annoying how hockey players just speak in cliches and are too afraid to be honest about anything. Every decision feels rehearsed.

On the other hand, the glamor and personality of the NBA & NFL are for the most part laughable side-shows that I would hate for the NHL to emulate.

Add to that, I fear that if you open those floodgates, you would get more obnoxious and annoying d**che-y frat-boy "bro" hockey players than interesting personalities. My sanity can only take so much cringe, and I can imagine it making me hate the game.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
A lot of these guys aren't comfortable being themselves in front of the camera, they are just regular guys not reality tv stars. And the guys that do love the camera seem to put on an act which doesn't seem genuine to me.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I like how "personality" is often made synonymous with "acting like an egotistical prick".
I’d say it’s just a fine line you only get to walk for so long.

Not trying to pile on Antonio Brown again, but he’s front and centre now for all the wrong reasons.

I’d say his ego has made him, in part, the player he is. It has drawn fans to him. It’s made him a lot of money.

However, when that ego starts crossing paths with what is good for the team ie pouting off to the sidelines while your team mates are celebrating a td, that is when us grumpy old guys start having s problem with it.

That is also when fan bases start pining for your banishment which is happening as we speak.

Every team puts up with guys like that for a different period of time, but nhl franchises I just can’t see having much patience for it.

Anyway, interesting topic! For the record I turned 40 last month. Not sure when I became an old guy. But stay off my grass. And kids your music sucks these days.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
It would be in the NHL's best interest to get away from their conservative culture.

Why would that be in the NHL's best interest?

And what should they do exactly? :laugh: Please list 5 things you'd like to see the NHL do that are more "liberal." (whatever that means to a professional sport)

Remember that the vast majority of NHL team owners are rich businessmen that wear suits everyday to their jobs.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Why would that be in the NHL's best interest?

And what should they do exactly? :laugh: Please list 5 things you'd like to see the NHL do that are more "liberal." (whatever that means to a professional sport)

Remember that the vast majority of NHL team owners are rich businessmen that wear suits everyday to their jobs.
Because its entertainment. If you can add good entertainment, you should.

I dont care what they do, just let these guys showcase their personalities. Not everyone in the league is some boring guy that likes to stay in the back and wear his suit. Encourage these guys to show out.

They already have the rich white kids, maybe its time to start doing something a little different to get other demographics interested too.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
giphy.gif

Look personality :scared:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity

I dont care what they do, just let these guys showcase their personalities. Not everyone in the league is some boring guy that likes to stay in the back and wear his suit. Encourage these guys to show out.

They already have the rich white kids, maybe its time to start doing something a little different to get other demographics interested too.

So you have no ideas. nice.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I feel like this personality stuff is more of a systematic thing than anything else,these guys are trained to be this way from a very young age long before they hit the NHL

if people want to see it change it needs to start from the bottom not the top

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY

Believe it or not, some of us are actually entertained by watching the game and don't require the players to act like buffoons off the ice.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Arguably the best WR in the NFL needs to concentrate on his route running according to folks here in the thread...L.O.L.
Pretty sure the best WR in football isn’t ranked 23rd in rec yards. In the running for a 10 man tie for 16th in tds.

Antonio isn’t even the best receiver on his team right now. And Antonio don’t like that.

And that is the gist of this whole thread.

I’m a fan of his. But he needs to shut his yip and get to work. Which is what a hockey team mate would say to him. Politely. Behind the scenes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad