All time teams - dream teams

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I know but I can´t imagine Nedomansky fitting well with Jagr. A lot of ego at the expense of defense :). Novy - despite his advantages - wasn´t strong puck possesion player IMO, and he actually played with & mentored Jagr in Kladno in late 80s...

Hmm, I actually think they would be quite devastating together... Jagr more as a playmaker/scorer and Nedomansky as the finisher; they would score tons. And you could always put Jiri Holik with them to help the unit defensively - if necessary.

Yeah, fair point about Bobby Hull. Putting the team together I found that we were comparatively weaker on the left side (which is why I had Lemieux and Yzerman out of position....though definitely not a stretch to assume they could do so) and Hull would help out in that regard. He'd look good on a line with Gretzky and Mario. I thought he was probably our best forward in 1976 also (Perreault would be the other), though in my (admittedly) brief analysis I focused more on guys who had represented Canada numerous time, whereas Hull only had the one tournament in 1976. It was a fun exercise looking back at the old rosters and the composition of the teams under different managers and coaches.

He also played for the WHA's Team Canada in the 1974 Summit Series vs the Soviet national team and was easily the best player in the games played in Canada. In Moscow he wasn't as good, but I think he was not quite 100 % healthy (and maybe the Soviets/Tretiak learnt how to defend against him a little better?).

I've always considered Perreault Canada's best forward (and maybe even player) in the 1976 CC, but Hull is certainly in the mix too.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, fair point about Bobby Hull. Putting the team together I found that we were comparatively weaker on the left side (which is why I had Lemieux and Yzerman out of position....though definitely not a stretch to assume they could do so) and Hull would help out in that regard. He'd look good on a line with Gretzky and Mario. I thought he was probably our best forward in 1976 also (Perreault would be the other), though in my (admittedly) brief analysis I focused more on guys who had represented Canada numerous time, whereas Hull only had the one tournament in 1976. It was a fun exercise looking back at the old rosters and the composition of the teams under different managers and coaches.

Lemieux is no problem at LW. Played there with Gretzky in 1987, and played most of the 1997 NHL season at LW, possibly 1996 as well. I think he may have played some LW at the 2004 World Cup as well.

It's difficult to base a team mostly on play in international tournaments because the vast majority of the best players only lay in a handful of tournaments, and often times outside of their primes.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Czech

Elias - Hlinka - Jagr
Jiri Holik - Novy - Matinec
Ruzicka - Nedomansky - Hejduk
Straka - Lala - Krejci
Lang

Suchy - Bubla
Machac - Pospishil
Svoboda - Hamrlic
Tomas Kaberle

Hasek
Holecek
Kralik

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
8 teams. World Cup format.

Canada
Czech
Finland
Sweden
Slovakia
Swiss
Russia
USA

Everyone in their prime.

How would the tournament end?

My tip:

1: Canada
2: Russia
3: Sweden
4: Finland
5: USA
6: Slovakia
7: Czech
8: Swiss

Make you own rosters and speculate who would win a tournament like this.

How on earth do you put Forsberg on a 3rd line wing????!!

Sundin - Forsberg - Zetterberg (Yes Sundin and Forsberg played on the same line occasionally with big success)
Loob - Nilsson - Markus Näslund
Sedin - Sedin - Alfredsson
Mats Näslund - "Tumba" Johansson - Sandström

Lidström - Karlsson
Salming - Tomas Jonsson
Nordström - Calle Johansson

Lindbergh
Lundqvist
Tommy Söderström

MrOT

Roenick / Modano / Hull
Jan 5, 2016
Sweden:

Markus Naslund - Forsberg - Sundin
D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Kent Nilsson
Zetterberg - Backstrom - Alfredsson
Mats Naslund - Sven Tumba - Sandstrom
Loob, Steen

Lidstrom - Karlsson
Salming - Kronwall
Hedman - Ulf Samuelsson
OEL

Lundqvist
Salo

I like that one

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
USA

Tkachuk - Modano - Brett Hull
Leclair - Roenick - Amonte
Parise - Lafontaine - Kane
Pacioretty- Weight - Guerin
Pavelski

Housley - Chelios
Leetch - Rafalski
Mark Howe - Gary Suter
Mathieu Schneider

Thomas
Miller
Quick

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Finland:

Tikkanen - Saku Koivu - Selanne
Skriko - Olli Jokinen - Kurri
Sinisalo - Mikko Koivu - Lehtinen
Jussi Jokinen - Christian Ruuttu - Sami Kapanen
Filppula, Barkov

Timonen - Numminen
Lumme - Sami Salo
Nummelin - Niinimaa
Siltanen

Rask
Kiprusoff
Rinne

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
All the teams are good. On paper I'd say there is little Canada/USSR advantage, but every team can make some damage and every game between these teams should be exciting.
But if we take 2-nd teams, it will be between Canada and USSR/Russia only.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Russia-2:

Ovechkin - Starshinov - Balderis
Kapustin - Shepelev - Shalimov
Kamenskiy - Bykov - Khomutov
Yakushev - Zhamnov - Kovalev
Bobrov, Drozdetsky

Lutchenko - Ragulin
Davydov - Kuzkin
Zhytnik - Yushkevich
Gusarov

Myshkin
Konovalenko
Bobrovskiy

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
All the teams are good. On paper I'd say there is little Canada/USSR advantage, but every team can make some damage and every game between these teams should be exciting.
But if we take 2-nd teams, it will be between Canada and USSR/Russia only.

I disagree. Taking Canada and USA for example, no American would make an all time team Canada. It looks like Canada, big gap, USSR/Russia, big gap, the rest. Given how long each country has been playing hockey at the top level it makes sense.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
no American would make an all time team Canada.
I wouldn't be that categorical. At least Brett Hull and Chelios may do that.

It looks like Canada, big gap, USSR/Russia, big gap, the rest.
You wanna see big gap and you see it. You think that team with Lemieux and Gretzky is much better than any other team just because? Hockey doesn't work that way. Any team has great goalies and at least 2 great lines and 4 great defensemen. That's enough, considering that other 2 lines are at least good ones.

By the way, Czechoslovakian team may be considered as top force also. But being separated they look lesser than Russia/Canada.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I wouldn't be that categorical. At least Brett Hull and Chelios may do that.

I wouldn't even include Brett Hull among Americans since he was mainly raised in Canada and was interested in representing Canada first, but regardless he would have no chance to make the Canadian team. Canada's best RWs (Howe,Richard, Bossy, Lafleur) are a class above him. Chelios has an outside chance at being the bottom defenceman on the Canadian team, but that's pretty unlikely. Odds remain very high that no American would make an all time team Canada.

You wanna see big gap and you see it. You think that team with Lemieux and Gretzky is much better than any other team just because? Hockey doesn't work that way. Any team has great goalies and at least 2 great lines and 4 great defensemen. That's enough, considering that other 2 lines are at least good ones.

By the way, Czechoslovakian team may be considered as top force also. But being separated they look lesser than Russia/Canada.

I see a big gap because it is there. Russia isn't all that close to Canada, but that's reasonable given that Canada had a huge head start with hockey and Russia had to deal with the collapse of the USSR. The other countries are decently behind Russia, but I do agree that the Czechs might be the next best.

Doesn't mean that the Canadian team is guaranteed to walk all over everyone else. We see in international hockey all the time when far less talented teams compete with the better teams. The gap on paper is very big though.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Canada's best RWs (Howe,Richard, Bossy, Lafleur) are a class above him.
Brett Hull at his peak is better than Bossy and Richard (and, probably Lafleur too). This is exactly what I meant when said that you see what you want to see.

Chelios has an outside chance at being the bottom defenceman on the Canadian team, but that's pretty unlikely. Odds remain very high that no American would make an all time team Canada.
C'mon :) Bourque and Orr are better without questions, but after them it is the question of taste :) You may not take Chelios and take other D's and no one will question it, but you may also include him and no one will doubt it too.

I see a big gap because it is there.
What gap exactly? And based on what do you see it?

but I do agree that the Czechs might be the next best.
Not Czechs. Czechoslovakian.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Brett Hull at his peak is better than Bossy and Richard (and, probably Lafleur too). This is exactly what I meant when said that you see what you want to see.

You meant what? [MOD] No one who has watched the NHL for a long time, and thus seen them play, puts Hull ahead of Richard or Lafleur. No one. Bossy is maybe arguable, but consensus is that Bossy is better (similar goal scoring, better playmaker, better away from the puck, clutch).

C'mon :) Bourque and Orr are better without questions, but after them it is the question of taste :) You may not take Chelios and take other D's and no one will question it, but you may also include him and no one will doubt it too.

No real way to put Chelios ahead of Harvey or Potvin. When it comes to Coffey/Kelly/Robinson etc. then I agree that preference plays a big part. As you say, it's not a big deal if Chelios is there or not. If the best American player is a player that could comfortably be left out of team Canada, that conveys the main point though.

What gap exactly? And based on what do you see it?

The gap in players. Using your roster as an example. I would say that Roy was better than Tretiak, but it's very difficult to differentiate between goaltenders. Call them even. Canada has backups who are at that level as well though. Russia does not.

Defence is a huge edge to Canada. Fetisov might make the Canadian defence, might not. I would probably take him. Basically no chance for the others though. You even picked players like Markov/Konstantinov/Gonchar/Zubov who all played in the NHL and would have literally no chance to come close to making an all time team Canada.

The forwards are Russia's strength, and the team is quite strong here. Especially the chemistry of the top two lines. The depth just isn't great though. Mogilny, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk wouldn't be considered for spots on an all time Canadian team. For example, recent forwards like Yzerman, Sakic or Crosby are all forwards who aren't a given to make Canada (though I would pick them). Russia's team is great overall, but it's not that close to Canada's, especially due to the weak defence. It's not all that surprising since Canada has more players and has been playing hockey for so much longer.

Not Czechs. Czechoslovakian.

A combined team would be good. Probably third best, without having really thought of the comparison with Sweden.

Last edited by a moderator:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
too many non-NHL guys on the other european countries that i don't know enough about to make a good list. but here are my picks for three countries. canada would murder the other two, of course.

esposito gretzky lafleur
hull beliveau howe
lindsay mikita rocket richard
messier trottier claude lemieux
sakic

orr harvey
potvin bourque
savard coffey
robinson

roy
sawchuk
plante

markus naslund forsberg alfredsson
mats naslund ulf nilsson hedberg
sedin sedin zetterberg
sterner tumba sundin
steen

lidstrom karlsson
salming svedberg
ulf samuelsson ohlund
sjoberg

lundqvist
lindbergh
honken

kevin stevens lafontaine kane
pavelski modano mullen
leclair roenick wheeler
drury otto kesler
broten

chelios howe
langway leetch
ryan suter derian hatcher
housley

brimsek
thomas
richter

Last edited:

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
You meant what? [MOD] No one who has watched the NHL for a long time, and thus seen them play, puts Hull ahead of Richard or Lafleur. No one. Bossy is maybe arguable, but consensus is that Bossy is better (similar goal scoring, better playmaker, better away from the puck, clutch).
TS said that players should be at their peaks. Hull had much higher peak than Bossy and Richard. His 90-91 season is the best season by any goalscorer by a huge margin.

No real way to put Chelios ahead of Harvey or Potvin.
There is real way. Time. Both Harvey and Potvin played in the league with less competition, Harvey especially, and Harvey played hockey then hockey was not the game we used to now.

When it comes to Coffey/Kelly/Robinson etc. then I agree that preference plays a big part. As you say, it's not a big deal if Chelios is there or not. If the best American player is a player that could comfortably be left out of team Canada, that conveys the main point though.
When you have so many great players, you'll have to leave smone. Yes, Canada has some leaders, that must be in the roster, but it's not as uniquely as you try to convince me.

The gap in players. Using your roster as an example. I would say that Roy was better than Tretiak, but it's very difficult to differentiate between goaltenders. Call them even. Canada has backups who are at that level as well though. Russia does not.
Backups are backups. They are hardly play.
As for Tretiak, he is the only person, who was indicted into the NHL Hall of Fame not playing single game in the NHL and while living. He hold an ultimate record of Soviet all-stars (14) and MVP (5). And just think about it - he won his MVPs playing in the team with Mikhailov, Petrov, Kharlamov, Makarov, Krutov, Fetisov. He was more valuable than any of these stars. And if you still doubt - just watch him playing :)

Defence is a huge edge to Canada. Fetisov might make the Canadian defence, might not. I would probably take him. Basically no chance for the others though.
I like Vasiliev more than Fetisov.
As for others - the same question as with Chelios. You prefer your players, which is normal:) I agree, that there is an edge here, though, but it's not that huge, as you think. Look at Canada cup at 1981 - you had 3 D's of your all-time team in the roster - did it help?

The forwards are Russia's strength, and the team is quite strong here. Especially the chemistry of the top two lines. The depth just isn't great though. Mogilny, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk wouldn't be considered for spots on an all time Canadian team.
Datsyuk - probably not, cause you have Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier and crazy C depth overall. But it doesn't mean he can't play against the best. As for Kovalchuk and Mogilny - see above :) Which your LW you consider as better players, outside of Bobby Hull? And don't forget - I didn't include Ovi for the chemistry reasons only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
Czechoslovakian

Elias - Peter Stastny - Jagr
Jiri Holik - Novy - Matinec
Demitra - Nedomansky - Marian Hossa
Palffy - Hlinka - Bondra
Liba, Hejduk

Suchy - Bubla
Chara - Hamrlic
Machac - Pospishil
Tomas Kaberle

Hasek
Holecek
Kralik

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
TS said that players should be at their peaks. Hull had much higher peak than Bossy and Richard. His 90-91 season is the best season by any goalscorer by a huge margin.

In no way did Hull have a much higher peak than Bossy or Richard. Higher is we just consider goal scoring? Possibly, especially with regard to Bossy. Hull brought nothing outside of goal scoring though. Richard and Bossy are two of the greatest clutch scorers in history, are better skaters, Boss contributes defensively, and are better playmakers. There is still a reason that pretty much no one picks Hull over Bossy (despite Bossy's short career) or especially Richard.

There is real way. Time. Both Harvey and Potvin played in the league with less competition, Harvey especially, and Harvey played hockey then hockey was not the game we used to now.

Potvin and Chelios are only nine years apart - they are pretty easy to compare No one who watched both picks Chelios ahead of Potvin. I agree that Chelios likely faced more competition, but both Potvin and Harvey dominated their competition to a higher degree than Chelios did. I do not agree that Harvey played some alien game to what we see today. Hockey had been played in Canada for 80 years by the time Harvey hit his prime.. it wasn't a new concept. Harvey played and thrived against plenty of players who would go on to succeed against the best Soviet players when top level international competition really began in the 1970s.

As for Tretiak, he is the only person, who was indicted into the NHL Hall of Fame not playing single game in the NHL and while living. He hold an ultimate record of Soviet all-stars (14) and MVP (5). And just think about it - he won his MVPs playing in the team with Mikhailov, Petrov, Kharlamov, Makarov, Krutov, Fetisov. He was more valuable than any of these stars. And if you still doubt - just watch him playing :)

I like Tretiak, and as I said I will just accept him at face value as equal to Roy. I am a bit skeptical of some of his accolades (kin of easy to stand out as USSR's best goaltender when Russia historically is not good at producing goaltenders) but as you say, he looks good upon watching. For instance he is much better than Dryden (and possibly Esposito as well) in the Summit Series.

I like Vasiliev more than Fetisov.
As for others - the same question as with Chelios. You prefer your players, which is normal:) I agree, that there is an edge here, though, but it's not that huge, as you think. Look at Canada cup at 1981 - you had 3 D's of your all-time team in the roster - did it help?

It's not about preference... it's easy to have seen the NHLers you listed. Those players would have struggled most years to make Canadian Olympic teams, better yet an all time team. They just aren't at a high enough level. As for the 1981 Canada Cup, Canada got a well deserved spanking. No question.

Datsyuk - probably not, cause you have Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier and crazy C depth overall. But it doesn't mean he can't play against the best. As for Kovalchuk and Mogilny - see above :) Which your LW you consider as better players, outside of Bobby Hull? And don't forget - I didn't include Ovi for the chemistry reasons only.

LW is Canada's weakest position (outside of Hull/Lindsay) which is why I put centres in those positions, and those centres are much better than players like Mogilny and Kovalchuk. Those guys are at a similar level to someone like Iginla, and no one in their right mind would consider Iginla for an all time Canadian team if all players are available. Russia just doesn't have the depth to compete in the all time sense yet. Canada started playing hockey decades before Russia did and even today still has a larger number of players. Give it a few decades, especially if some elite defencemen come along, and it will probably be closer.

Namba 17

May 9, 2011
In no way did Hull have a much higher peak than Bossy or Richard. Higher is we just consider goal scoring? Possibly, especially with regard to Bossy. Hull brought nothing outside of goal scoring though. Richard and Bossy are two of the greatest clutch scorers in history, are better skaters, Boss contributes defensively, and are better playmakers.
It depends on the way you create your team. I didn't find a place for Ovi - I tried to make a team for competition, not just all-stars. If you have, for example, Sakic on the LW and Yzerman on the C - you need the best finisher for them and this guy will be Brett Hull'90-91, but not Richard or Bossy, or Lafleur. Hull brought nothing outside of goal scoring? But it was the best goal-scoring in history and all you need is to make a team, that can use this strength.

There is still a reason that pretty much no one picks Hull over Bossy (despite Bossy's short career) or especially Richard.
Whom do you speak about when say "no one picks"?

Potvin and Chelios are only nine years apart - they are pretty easy to compare No one who watched both picks Chelios ahead of Potvin. I agree that Chelios likely faced more competition, but both Potvin and Harvey dominated their competition to a higher degree than Chelios did.
Probably, that was because competition was lesser?:) You know, Bobrov at 1947-1948 scored 52 goals in 18 games. Is he better than Gretzky or Lemieux? :)

I do not agree that Harvey played some alien game to what we see today. Hockey had been played in Canada for 80 years by the time Harvey hit his prime..
C'mon:) nobody deny Canada's priority. But the modern hockey began at 1972, after the SS. Just look at the games of 1940-th, 1950-th - they are not the same as now, or even 20 years later.

It's not about preference... it's easy to have seen the NHLers you listed. Those players would have struggled most years to make Canadian Olympic teams, better yet an all time team. They just aren't at a high enough level. As for the 1981 Canada Cup, Canada got a well deserved spanking. No question.
The Soviet victory itself was not my point. You took your revenge later. My point was that big names on paper doesn't make great team, or doesn't guarantee you a thing. That's why it's very hard to say that this team is much better than that. You may speak about some advantage, though.

Anyway, I appreciate your input to the discussion. You love hockey and you understand it very well and you know it very well and it's always interesting to read your opinion, even if I don't agree with it. The more fans like you - the better for the hockey:) Cheers :)

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
It's hard to predict how would such s tournament go. I would even say that teams who pick guys from just a several successful generations would have quite an advantage. For example slovaks, despite quite a terrible defense for this level, whould have most players from 90/00 generation + Stastny brothers, that would make make super high quality compact offense. Considering that Russia would be coached by Tikhonov in his prime, which means that even Guys like Malkin and Ovechkin would drill 7 hours every day somewhere in base camp for three months, I would say Russia will be my favourite. Than Canada who would probably win it even if they would look like a bunch of individuals. Czech Rep would be third (they also picking +- just from 70s and 90/00, that defence with Suchy and Pospisil is a dream) even if Sweden might look better on paper. Slovakia would be dark horse and Finnland would probably play bronze medal game as they ussually do.

Good think is that some of the players already proved on int. stage what they are capable of when they were in their prime. Thats why czechs must be medal contender with Hasek in his prime and thats also reason I dont trust too much to US team. Switzerland will be last imo. EA sports should make it....

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It depends on the way you create your team. I didn't find a place for Ovi - I tried to make a team for competition, not just all-stars. If you have, for example, Sakic on the LW and Yzerman on the C - you need the best finisher for them and this guy will be Brett Hull'90-91, but not Richard or Bossy, or Lafleur. Hull brought nothing outside of goal scoring? But it was the best goal-scoring in history and all you need is to make a team, that can use this strength.

I suppose it's about player valuation. I don't give Hull an edge over Richard in goal scoring and I'm not sure that I would give him an edge over Bossy in that area either, focusing on peaks or not. He's just a strange pick for such a team.

Whom do you speak about when say "no one picks"?

Fans, experts. Whenever there is a big ranking of NHL players released (input from coaches, players from various eras) it is a given that Bossy is ahead of Hull. Anytime the history section here oes research and ranks players, Bossy is ahead.Talking to fans who have actually seen both, it is pretty much a given that Bossy is ahead of Hull. I do agree that peak makes it closer at least.

Probably, that was because competition was lesser?:) You know, Bobrov at 1947-1948 scored 52 goals in 18 games. Is he better than Gretzky or Lemieux? :)

I agree that competition was lesser for Harvey, but only marginally so for Potvin. Potvin competed against the greatest crop of Canadian defencemen ever. The Bobrov comparison is off - he played when Soviet hockey was in its infancy. A good comparison for him would be Joe Malone for Canada, and I wouldn't consider Joe Malone. As I said, by the time Harvey played hockey had been in Canada for nearly a century and was quite developed.

C'mon:) nobody deny Canada's priority. But the modern hockey began at 1972, after the SS. Just look at the games of 1940-th, 1950-th - they are not the same as now, or even 20 years later.

It's not the same, but I find it a bit convenient that hockey only became modern once the Soviets rose to a level where they could challenge Canada. Canada didn't suddenly improve in 1972 - the players had been a that level for quite some time. In fact, most people considered the previous generation (Howe, Richard, Hull, Harvey, Plante etc.) to have been quite a bit stronger than the early 1970s players. That is actually borne out by how successful the players from the 1950s and 1960s were even when they faced the players who rose to prominence in the 1970s.

The Soviet victory itself was not my point. You took your revenge later. My point was that big names on paper doesn't make great team, or doesn't guarantee you a thing. That's why it's very hard to say that this team is much better than that. You may speak about some advantage, though.

Anyway, I appreciate your input to the discussion. You love hockey and you understand it very well and you know it very well and it's always interesting to read your opinion, even if I don't agree with it. The more fans like you - the better for the hockey:) Cheers :)

It's all about on paper talk. I agree that any team can lose, and the gap is not so big that any team is unbeatable among the top nations. We saw Sweden lose to Belarus and USSR lose at the 1980 Olympics. Anyway, the discussion is all in good fun. Enjoy your hockey.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
This is the USA Hockey National Dream Team by NHL.com :thumbu:

Best all-United States teams debated

upload_2020-7-5_12-6-46.png

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
That Canadian team is terrible.

Canada probably wins comfortably - too many decades of top level hockey, and even today produces more great players than any other country. Russia/Soviets easily second. Then a very interesting competition between Czechs, Swedes and Americans.

Agree with your assessment of that Canadian roster. Many better defencemen available. Harvey, Park, Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, etc.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
I made some teams with 25 players, just like the Olympics. The World Cup usually features 23 players but 25 is better and the NHL should do like in Europe and add 2 players for every game.

Canada
Forwards
Gordie Howe – Wayne Gretzky – Mario Lemieux
2. Bobby Hull – Jean Beliveau – Maurice Richard
3. Mike Bossy – Mark Messier – Guy Lafleur
4. Phil Esposito – Sidney Crosby – Steve Yzerman
5. Stan Mikita/Ted Lindsay

Defensemen
Bobby Orr – Doug Harvey
2. Ray Bourque – Eddie Shore
3. Paul Coffey – Denis Potvin
4. Red Kelly – Larry Robinson