Goaltenders

Starter - Vladislav Tretiak
Backup - Martin Brodeur
3rd Goalie - Patrick Roy

Coaches:
Head Coach - Scotty Bowman
Asst. - Viktor Tikhonov
Asst. - Toe Blake

I think the biggest problem people with find with this list is the high number of Soviet players, but the Soviet National team regularly defeated NHL squads and All-Star teams , and never receives the credit they deserve.

P.S. Ok, I seriously tried to come up with someone better than Sakic but I just couldn't do it.

Honourable Mentions
CHM - Frank Mahovlich
LWHM - Stan Mikita
RWHM - Jaromir Jagr
DHM - Eddie Shore
DHM - Red Kelly
GHM - Dominik Hasek

Last edited by a moderator:

Gilles Meloche

I Moe I Moe
Feb 18, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Forwards:
C1 - Wayne Gretzky
LW1 - Alexander Ovechkin
RW1 - Mike Bossy

C2 - Mario Lemieux
LW2 - Bobby Hull
RW2 - Gordie Howe

C3 - Cyclone Taylor
LW3 - Valeri Kharlamov
RW3 - Guy Lafleur

C4 - Bobby Clarke
LW4 - Ted Lindsay
RW4 - Maurice Richard

Defensive Pairings

D1 - Bobby Orr + Eddie Shore
D2 - Doug Harvey + Nicklas Lidstrom
D3 - Sprague Cleghorn + Viacheslav Fetisov

Goaltenders

Starter - Patrick Roy
Backup - Dominik Hasek
3rd Goalie - Vladislav Tretiak

hockeymaneeak*

Forwards:
C1 - Wayne Gretzky
LW1 - Alexander Ovechkin
RW1 - Mike Bossy

C2 - Mario Lemieux
LW2 - Bobby Hull
RW2 - Gordie Howe

C3 - Cyclone Taylor
LW3 - Valeri Kharlamov
RW3 - Guy Lafleur

C4 - Bobby Clarke
LW4 - Ted Lindsay
RW4 - Maurice Richard

Defensive Pairings

D1 - Bobby Orr + Eddie Shore
D3 - Sprague Cleghorn + Viacheslav Fetisov

Goaltenders

Starter - Patrick Roy
Backup - Dominik Hasek
3rd Goalie - Vladislav Tretiak

My only major problem is Ovechkin and Bossy, otherwise a formidable list.

KingJoyal

Feb 4, 2010
Yes, the greatest players to ever play.

In their prime of course.

My Roster

Forwards:
C1 - Wayne Gretzky
LW1 - Valeri Kharlamov
RW1 - Gordie Howe

C2 - Mario Lemieux
LW2 - Anatoli Firsov/Bobby Hull
RW2 - Maurice Richard

C3 - Jean Beliveau
LW3 - Bobby Hull/Anatoli Firsov
RW3 - Sergei Makarov

C4 - Joe Sakic
LW4 - Luc Robataille
RW4 - Guy Lafleur

Defensive Pairings

D1 - Bobby Orr + Viacheslav Fetisov
D3 - Ray Bourque + Borje Salming

Goaltenders

Starter - Vladislav Tretiak
Backup - Martin Brodeur
3rd Goalie - Patrick Roy

I think the biggest problem people with find with this list is the high number of Soviet players, but the Soviet National team regularly defeated NHL squads and All-Star teams , and never receives the credit they deserve.

P.S. Ok, I seriously tried to come up with someone better than Sakic but I just couldn't do it.

If the midsixties Bobby Hull played against the Soviet team in 1972 and 1974, I don't think you would have Valeri Kharlamov ahead of him. How about Stan Mikita and Frank Mahovlich in place of Joe Sakic and Luc Robitaille? I'll replace Borje Salming with a larger and nastier version of Pierre Pilote, no. 5 with the Islanders.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I'm having a few players not play their natural positions because that would be ridiculous to have situations like Luc Robitaille but not Jaromir Jagr.

LW1 - Bobby Hull
C1 - Wayne Gretzky
RW1 - Gordie Howe

LW2 - Valeri Kharlamov
C2 - Mario Lemieux
RW2 - Maurice Richard

LW3 - Mark Messier
C3 - Jean Beliveau
RW3 - Jaromir Jagr

LW4 - Stan Mikita
C4 - Bobby Clarke
RW4 - Bryan Trottier

D1 - Bobby Orr + Nicklas Lidstrom
D2 - Doug Harvey + Ray Bourque
D3 - Eddie Shore + Denis Potvin

G1 - Dominik Hasek
G2 - Patrick Roy
G3 - Jacques Plante

Coach - Scotty Bowman (who else?)

hockeymaneeak*

If the midsixties Bobby Hull played against the Soviet team in 1972 and 1974, I don't think you would have Valeri Kharlamov ahead of him. How about Stan Mikita and Frank Mahovlich in place of Joe Sakic and Luc Robitaille? I'll replace Borje Salming with a larger and nastier version of Pierre Pilote, no. 5 with the Islanders.

I just can't justify changing Kharlamov, just because of his impact on Soviet hockey. Kharlamov died at the ripe age of 33 and had many years ahead of him, he inspired players like Ilya Kovalchuk and Evgeni Malkin to play hockey (Kovalchuk wears his #17 and Malkin his #17 reversed), I'm keeping Kharlamov.

Stan Mikita ahead of Luc Robataille makes perfect sense. Embarrassingly enough I all but forgot of Mikita.

Mahovlich ahead of Sakic is reasonable, though once Sakic fades away I think he'll settle nicely into the slot I gave him, I just gave it to him prematurely.

I struggled between Salming and Eddie Shore. In the end I chose Salming because he essentially destroyed the image of the "Chicken Swede" and what he did for young Swedish players. Pierre Pilote is very, very interesting there. I'll have to do more research on him.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I struggled between Salming and Eddie Shore. In the end I chose Salming because he essentially destroyed the image of the "Chicken Swede" and what he did for young Swedish players. Pierre Pilote is very, very interesting there. I'll have to do more research on him.

I'd argue shore on the basis that this is "Best" and not "Most influential".

If I were to pick a 7th, I'd take Red Kelly over either of Pilote/Salming. I'd even take Larry Robinson over those two. Maybe even Coffey, Stevens, Park, Fetisov or Chelios.

hockeymaneeak*

I'd argue shore on the basis that this is "Best" and not "Most influential".

If I were to pick a 7th, I'd take Red Kelly over either of Pilote/Salming. I'd even take Larry Robinson over those two. Maybe even Coffey, Stevens, Park, Fetisov or Chelios.

I'll have Salming ahead of all those guys, besides Shore.

KingJoyal

Feb 4, 2010

My choice to replace Borje Salming was not actually Pierre Pilote. It was the former Islander, Denis Potvin, who I consider a larger and nastier version of Pierre Pilote. The original Pierre Pilote wasn't bad either.

Last edited:

hockeymaneeak*

My choice to replace was not actually Pierre Pilote. It was the former Islander, Denis Potvin, who I consider a larger and nastier version of Pierre Pilote. The original Pierre Pilote wasn't bad either.

Now it makes more sense!

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Instead of jotting down the names of the greatest talents and/or highest scorers, I chose to build my team a different way. I'm going to build a winning team. A team that can compete against any opponent and win. A team with little-to-no-weakness. My plan: to build a team with two main scoring lines, a shutdown line, and a checking line that is both relentless and tenacious. I am creating a complete team here, not just a historic all-star team.

Scoring line #1
M. Lemieux - Gretzky - Kurri

Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri were perhaps the greatest offensive duo in hockey history, at least to play in the NHL. Simply put, Gretzky and Kurri were pure magic. And, not only could Kurri score, but he was responsible defensively as well. Now, add to that line one of the greatest offensive threats ever in Mario Lemieux. We all know how dominant 99 & 66 were in the ‘87 Canada Cup. Picture all three of these guys playing together and Wayne dishing to both Kurri and Lemieux. Wow. Chemistry is a big factor when building my team and I am convinced Gretzky would challenge Lemieux to be the very best night in and night out. A motivated Lemieux could possibly be the greatest physical specimen in hockey history, certainly the most talented. This line has a bit of everything, but most of all, chemistry. Gretzky is precisely unselfish and gifted with wizard-like hockey sense and vision. Kurri is fantastic all-around. Lemieux is an elite giant who could score from anywhere and is a bear to defend against, due to his slick finesse and 6-4, 230 pound frame.

Scoring line #2
Howe - Forsberg - Bossy

Some may question my choice of Peter Forsberg on this line. However, when he was “on”, there weren't many better than Forsberg, ever. Especially in terms of playmaking and dishing the puck. Forsberg is a versatile monster who is one of the most creative players of all-time. Picture him setting up one of the greatest snipers of all-time in Mike Bossy and a big, power forward with gifted hands like Gordie Howe. For this line I was looking for a magical passer in the middle and Forsberg fit the bill perfectly. While there are many other great pivots who could have easily centered this line (including Jean Beliveau, Mark Messier or Steve Yzerman), Forsberg’s package includes many of the intangibles that turn great teams into champions. On the wings I had some real thinking to do. It was difficult, but I chose Bossy over Rocket Richard, Guy Lafleur and Alexander Ovechkin, because the way this line is constructed, Forsberg will be the focal point, carrying the puck and orchestrating the plays. Bossy was a master at “getting open” and had the best pure release I’ve ever seen. Maurice Richard was maybe the best from the offensive blue line in, but I have Howe to crash the net and Forsberg to send a perfect saucer over to Bossy who will blow one top-shelf past any goaltender to ever have strapped on pads. Lafleur was a great choice but he was a tad too fickle for my liking. Ovechkin, wow. Even in his short career, it is hard to keep Ovechkin off this line, let alone team. The same with Bobby Hull, Jaromir Jagr and Valeri Kharlamov. There were some tough decisions to be made indeed. But Bossy was my guy – a brilliant shooter who would never hurt my team’s chances to succeed by taking an undisciplined penalty at a crucial time.

Shutdown line #3
Gainey - Messier - Carbonneau

When the opposition has their best scorers on the ice, I wanted to roll out a line that would keep them off the score sheet, but also have enough skill to bury chances and capitalize offensively. Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau own seven Selke Trophies between them. In the ‘70s, when the well coached Russian Red Army team was an authority in the game, they considered Gainey the most complete player in the world. His accomplishments speak volumes. And I chose Mark Messier to center the line, over a player like Bryan Trottier, but it was an extremely close decision. While someone like Trottier or even Dave Keon, Sergei Fedorov, Doug Jarvis or Pavel Datsyuk may be better suited in a “shutdown role”, Messier adds some bite to the line and glue in the lockeroom. I am a believer that leadership, drive and the ability to rise to the occasion are paramount when building a winning team. Messier has answered the bell in spades throughout his illustrious career. If some sticks need to be broken or a table needs to be flipped in the lockeroom, Messier will be the one to do it. If my opponent takes liberties with my point-producers, Messier will put an end to such nonsense. Messier always sets the tone with his leadership, and has brilliant timing, which is why he made my all-time team. Leaving him off any all-time team would simply be foolish if not criminal. If I wanted to, I could easily interchange Messier and Forsberg on my 2nd and 3rd lines without missing a step.

Checking/Tenacious line #4
Tikkanen - Clarke - C. Lemieux

How would you like to go up against this line in a seven game series, where all the marbles are on the table? Not only are these guys great forecheckers, tireless workers and villainous, they all have great skills and score in the clutch. Bobby Clarke is one of the (if not the) greatest leaders in the history of the game and would do anything it takes to win (ask Valeri Kharlamov). I want that element on my team, plain and simple. Clarke is joined by Stanley Cup warriors Esa Tikkanen and Claude Lemieux. Teams would lose sleep knowing they will be grinding it out with these guys in the alley shift after shift. My only concern with Lemieux would be him recklessly thinking of himself before the team when tensions rise. But under Clarke’s guidance, I believe this problem could be curtailed. Plus, Lemieux’s uncanny ability to clinch a series is worth a few potentially damaging penalties if you ask me. As for Tikkanen, let’s not forget this guy is a pest that knows how to play with stars (he flanked Gretzky for years). He is a beloved teammate and can play on virtually any line, on any team. I gave much consideration to “better” players such as Ted Lindsay, Rick Tocchet, Johnny Buyck and Clark Gillies, but chose Tikkanen over them for two reasons – speed and smarts. Tikkanen is the perfect soldier to initiate a forecheck or cover ground backchecking because of his blazing speed. He also knows when to instigate and when to just cover his man.

Defense pairing #1
Orr - Shore

The greatest player in NHL history (Bobby Orr) paired with one of the meanest and talented hombres who ever laced up a pair of skates (Eddie Shore). NHL coach Pat Burns once said, “Chris Chelios is a junkyard dog who makes a million bucks.” Well, if that's the case, what should be said about Shore? That he is a hungry pit bull foaming from the mouth with the skills of a superstar? No matter how you slice it, this would be a dominant pair every way possible: Puck possession, checking, defensive awareness, strength, shutdown ability, scoring and charisma. This pairing has no weakness whatsoever. Try to exploit them, especially with Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux owning the puck and Kurri backchecking like a devil. The opposition will be hard-pressed to succeed. It has been said, “The only way to stop Orr is with a gun”, which is why opponents would often take runs at his knees – with the intent to injure. The presence of Shore aside him would eliminate much of that foolish behavior.

Defense pairing #2
Potvin - Bourque

Rock solid. Period. Two of the most complete defenders in history paired together as a 2nd pairing, no less. Both are excellent at taking the body, especially Denis Potvin, who looks to decapitate opponents with his hits. Both legends are capable of providing tons of offense from the points and Potvin owned one of the best homerun outlet passes of all-time. Raymond Bourque is a pure thoroughbred, whose shift recovery time has been considered “unreal”. In addition, Potvin is well-known as one of the most competitive players ever. He openly admitted that he “hated losing, more than he liked winning.” This spirit is contagious, which is why Potvin was the leader of the great Isles dynasty in the early-80s (considered one of the best teams in NHL history). And just like my top pairing, there is zero weakness with this combo. They will be rolled out in any situation: powerplay, penalty kill, or overtime, it doesn’t matter.

Defense pairing #3

Lidstrom - Robinson

Technically, Nicklas Lidstrom is among the all-time elite at the defense position. He is a master, and easily could have made the 1st pairing with Orr. But on my team, he anchors the 3rd pairing with the big, multi-dimensional Larry Robinson. If there is any knock on Lidstrom, it is his non-violent approach to the position. That's why I chose Robinson as his partner over Doug Harvey. Scott Stevens was also a strong consideration, but Robinson was slightly all-around better than Scotty and would be a better partner for Lidstrom. There were times when Stevens thought of the big hit first, whereas Robinson was extremely intelligent when deciding the best way to defend a play. Harvey was one of the best ever at controlling the tempo of a game, but I have Orr, and every player on my team serves a purpose. Robinson’s purpose is to round out a pairing and compliment Lidstrom. He could do that better than anyone and is willing to drop the mitts with the toughest of opponents (such as Dave Schultz). Viatcheslav Fetisov, Red Kelly and Brad Park were also considerations, but they just missed the cut.

Goalies
Roy - Brodeur - Hasek

I’m not naming a starter just yet, but these are my three guys. Depending on my opponent, each one of them could get the nod on any given night. All things considered, I feel these guys are the three best of all-time. Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur are 1-2 on my list, and Dominik Hasek edged out Vladislav Tretiak, Terry Sawchuk, Jacques Plante, Glenn Hall and Ken Dryden to make my team in the 3 slot. Tretiak was the toughie to not include, but I went with the unorthodox Euro Hasek because of his success both in International play and the NHL. All of these masked men have different styles and mannerisms. The thing they all have in common is their passion for the game. Dryden gave up a golden career in the NHL to pursue a law degree. Sawchuk and Hall both loathed playing professional hockey to the point where the stress inflicted physical damage to their being. When choosing my team, I wanted the goalies that were maniacally driven to be considered the all-time best at their position; marvels like Roy and Brodeur.

Coaching staff
Bowman - Tarasov - Shero
Designing a philosophy and game plan for my team is the greatest hockey mind of all-time, Scotty Bowman. He is my head coach. Assisting Bowman on the bench and in the coach’s room, are savvy tacticians and blessed motivators – Anatoly Tarasov and Fred Shero. Tarasov and Shero are both innovators who are well-versed in various hockey genres. Historically, the most successful coaches are masters of preparation, decision making, and motivation. The way my team is built, a verbally intense coach or taskmaster (like Mike Keenan) is not the best fit because of the personalities of my players like Messier, Shore and Potvin. Out of my three coaches, Tarasov is the most verbal, but due to the language barrier, most of his critiquing would be offered to Bowman and Shero during meetings and not to the players on the bench. Tarasov was a master of fitness, on/off-ice training, drills and systems. The Russian strategist was also a mastermind at exploiting the weakness of his opponent, and is directly responsible for turning the former Soviet Union into an International hockey powerhouse, practically overnight. Shero is the most cerebral of the bunch, which should allow him to connect well with a thinker like Gretzky. Shero is also known as a clever motivator, using unique methods which inspire his players to perform for the betterment of the team. As a head coach, Bowman was the greatest ever at player matchups and making sure all 60 minutes are utilized to the max. Before the games started, Bowman was notorious for knowing exactly when all the TV commercial timeouts were taking place, so he would know when extra breathers were coming for his players. It was progressive thinking like this that helped Bowman standout amongst the rest of his peers. He was a hockey genius who never missed a trick. One thing is certain – my team will never be unprepared, outsmarted or outcoached.

Last edited:

Rzeznik

Apr 6, 2008
Nova Scotia
Bobby Hull-Wayne Gretzky-Gordie Howe
Ted Lindsay-Mario Lemieux-Maurice Richard
Valeri Kharlamov-Jean Beliveau-Guy Lafleur
Frank Mahovlich-Stan Mikita-Jaromir Jagr
Howie Morenz

Bobby Orr-Doug Harvey
Eddie Shore-Ray Bourque
Denis Potvin-Nick Lidstrom
Red Kelly

Dominik Hasek
Jacques Plante
Patrick Roy

hockeymaneeak*

Instead of jotting down the names of the greatest talents and/or highest scorers, I chose to build my team a different way. I'm going to build a winning team. A team that can compete against any opponent and win. A team with little-to-no-weakness. My plan: to build a team with two main scoring lines, a shutdown line, and a checking line that is both relentless and tenacious. I am creating a complete team here, not just a historic all-star team.

Scoring line #1
M. Lemieux - Gretzky - Kurri

Wayne Gretzky and Jari Kurri were perhaps the greatest offensive duo in hockey history, at least to play in the NHL. Simply put, Gretzky and Kurri were pure magic. And, not only could Kurri score, but he was responsible defensively as well. Now, add to that line one of the greatest offensive threats ever in Mario Lemieux. We all know how dominant 99 & 66 were in the ‘87 Canada Cup. Picture all three of these guys playing together and Wayne dishing to both Kurri and Lemieux. Wow. Chemistry is a big factor when building my team and I am convinced Gretzky would challenge Lemieux to be the very best night in and night out. A motivated Lemieux could possibly be the greatest physical specimen in hockey history, certainly the most talented. This line has a bit of everything, but most of all, chemistry. Gretzky is precisely unselfish and gifted with wizard-like hockey sense and vision. Kurri is fantastic all-around. Lemieux is an elite giant who could score from anywhere and is a bear to defend against, due to his slick finesse and 6-4, 230 pound frame.

Scoring line #2
Howe - Forsberg - Bossy

Some may question my choice of Peter Forsberg on this line. However, when he was “on”, there weren't many better than Forsberg, ever. Especially in terms of playmaking and dishing the puck. Forsberg is a versatile monster who is one of the most creative players of all-time. Picture him setting up one of the greatest snipers of all-time in Mike Bossy and a big, power forward with gifted hands like Gordie Howe. For this line I was looking for a magical passer in the middle and Forsberg fit the bill perfectly. While there are many other great pivots who could have easily centered this line (including Jean Beliveau, Mark Messier or Steve Yzerman), Forsberg’s package includes many of the intangibles that turn great teams into champions. On the wings I had some real thinking to do. It was difficult, but I chose Bossy over Rocket Richard, Guy Lafleur and Alexander Ovechkin, because the way this line is constructed, Forsberg will be the focal point, carrying the puck and orchestrating the plays. Bossy was a master at “getting open” and had the best pure release I’ve ever seen. Maurice Richard was maybe the best from the offensive blue line in, but I have Howe to crash the net and Forsberg to send a perfect saucer over to Bossy who will blow one top-shelf past any goaltender to ever have strapped on pads. Lafleur was a great choice but he was a tad too fickle for my liking. Ovechkin, wow. Even in his short career, it is hard to keep Ovechkin off this line, let alone team. The same with Bobby Hull, Jaromir Jagr and Valeri Kharlamov. There were some tough decisions to be made indeed. But Bossy was my guy – a brilliant shooter who would never hurt my team’s chances to succeed by taking an undisciplined penalty at a crucial time.

Shutdown line #3
Gainey - Messier - Carbonneau

When the opposition has their best scorers on the ice, I wanted to roll out a line that would keep them off the score sheet, but also have enough skill to bury chances and capitalize offensively. Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau own seven Selke Trophies between them. In the ‘70s, when the well coached Russian Red Army team was an authority in the game, they considered Gainey the most complete player in the world. His accomplishments speak volumes. And I chose Mark Messier to center the line, over a player like Bryan Trottier, but it was an extremely close decision. While someone like Trottier or even Dave Keon, Sergei Fedorov, Doug Jarvis or Pavel Datsyuk may be better suited in a “shutdown role”, Messier adds some bite to the line and glue in the lockeroom. I am a believer that leadership, drive and the ability to rise to the occasion are paramount when building a winning team. Messier has answered the bell in spades throughout his illustrious career. If some sticks need to be broken or a table needs to be flipped in the lockeroom, Messier will be the one to do it. If my opponent takes liberties with my point-producers, Messier will put an end to such nonsense. Messier always sets the tone with his leadership, and has brilliant timing, which is why he made my all-time team. Leaving him off any all-time team would simply be foolish if not criminal. If I wanted to, I could easily interchange Messier and Forsberg on my 2nd and 3rd lines without missing a step.

Checking/Tenacious line #4
Tikkanen - Clarke - C. Lemieux

How would you like to go up against this line in a seven game series, where all the marbles are on the table? Not only are these guys great forecheckers, tireless workers and villainous, they all have great skills and score in the clutch. Bobby Clarke is one of the (if not the) greatest leaders in the history of the game and would do anything it takes to win (ask Valeri Kharlamov). I want that element on my team, plain and simple. Clarke is joined by Stanley Cup warriors Esa Tikkanen and Claude Lemieux. Teams would lose sleep knowing they will be grinding it out with these guys in the alley shift after shift. My only concern with Lemieux would be him recklessly thinking of himself before the team when tensions rise. But under Clarke’s guidance, I believe this problem could be curtailed. Plus, Lemieux’s uncanny ability to clinch a series is worth a few potentially damaging penalties if you ask me. As for Tikkanen, let’s not forget this guy is a pest that knows how to play with stars (he flanked Gretzky for years). He is a beloved teammate and can play on virtually any line, on any team. I gave much consideration to “better” players such as Ted Lindsay, Rick Tocchet, Johnny Buyck and Clark Gillies, but chose Tikkanen over them for two reasons – speed and smarts. Tikkanen is the perfect soldier to initiate a forecheck or cover ground backchecking because of his blazing speed. He also knows when to instigate and when to just cover his man.

Defenseman

Defense pairing #1
Orr - Shore

The greatest player in NHL history (Bobby Orr) paired with one of the meanest and talented hombres who ever laced up a pair of skates (Eddie Shore). NHL coach Pat Burns once said, “Chris Chelios is a junkyard dog who makes a million bucks.” Well, if that's the case, what should be said about Shore? That he is a hungry pit bull foaming from the mouth with the skills of a superstar? No matter how you slice it, this would be a dominant pair every way possible: Puck possession, checking, defensive awareness, strength, shutdown ability, scoring and charisma. This pairing has no weakness whatsoever. Try to exploit them, especially with Orr, Gretzky and Lemieux owning the puck and Kurri backchecking like a devil. The opposition will be hard-pressed to succeed. It has been said, “The only way to stop Orr is with a gun”, which is why opponents would often take runs at his knees – with the intent to injure. The presence of Shore aside him would eliminate much of that foolish behavior.

Defense pairing #2
Potvin - Bourque

Rock solid. Period. Two of the most complete defenders in history paired together as a 2nd pairing, no less. Both are excellent at taking the body, especially Denis Potvin, who looks to decapitate opponents with his hits. Both legends are capable of providing tons of offense from the points and Potvin owned one of the best homerun outlet passes of all-time. Raymond Bourque is a pure thoroughbred, whose shift recovery time has been considered “unreal”. In addition, Potvin is well-known as one of the most competitive players ever. He openly admitted that he “hated losing, more than he liked winning.” This spirit is contagious, which is why Potvin was the leader of the great Isles dynasty in the early-80s (considered one of the best teams in NHL history). And just like my top pairing, there is zero weakness with this combo. They will be rolled out in any situation: powerplay, penalty kill, or overtime, it doesn’t matter.

Defense pairing #3

Lidstrom - Robinson

Technically, Nicklas Lidstrom is among the all-time elite at the defense position. He is a master, and easily could have made the 1st pairing with Orr. But on my team, he anchors the 3rd pairing with the big, multi-dimensional Larry Robinson. If there is any knock on Lidstrom, it is his non-violent approach to the position. That's why I chose Robinson as his partner over Doug Harvey. Scott Stevens was also a strong consideration, but Robinson was slightly all-around better than Scotty and would be a better partner for Lidstrom. There were times when Stevens thought of the big hit first, whereas Robinson was extremely intelligent when deciding the best way to defend a play. Harvey was one of the best ever at controlling the tempo of a game, but I have Orr, and every player on my team serves a purpose. Robinson’s purpose is to round out a pairing and compliment Lidstrom. He could do that better than anyone and is willing to drop the mitts with the toughest of opponents (such as Dave Schultz). Viatcheslav Fetisov, Red Kelly and Brad Park were also considerations, but they just missed the cut.

Goalies
Roy - Brodeur - Hasek

I’m not naming a starter just yet, but these are my three guys. Depending on my opponent, each one of them could get the nod on any given night. All things considered, I feel these guys are the three best of all-time. Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur are 1-2 on my list, and Dominik Hasek edged out Vladislav Tretiak, Terry Sawchuk, Jacques Plante, Glenn Hall and Ken Dryden to make my team in the 3 slot. Tretiak was the toughie to not include, but I went with the unorthodox Euro Hasek because of his success both in International play and the NHL. All of these masked men have different styles and mannerisms. The thing they all have in common is their passion for the game. Dryden gave up a golden career in the NHL to pursue a law degree. Sawchuk and Hall both loathed playing professional hockey to the point where the stress inflicted physical damage to their being. When choosing my team, I wanted the goalies that were maniacally driven to be considered the all-time best at their position; marvels like Roy and Brodeur.

Coaching staff
Bowman - Tarasov - Shero
Designing a philosophy and game plan for my team is the greatest hockey mind of all-time, Scotty Bowman. He is my head coach. Assisting Bowman on the bench and in the coach’s room, are savvy tacticians and blessed motivators – Anatoly Tarasov and Fred Shero. Tarasov and Shero are both innovators who are well-versed in various hockey genres. Historically, the most successful coaches are masters of preparation, decision making, and motivation. The way my team is built, a verbally intense coach or taskmaster (like Mike Keenan) is not the best fit because of the personalities of my players like Messier, Shore and Potvin. Out of my three coaches, Tarasov is the most verbal, but due to the language barrier, most of his critiquing would be offered to Bowman and Shero during meetings and not to the players on the bench. Tarasov was a master of fitness, on/off-ice training, drills and systems. The Russian strategist was also a mastermind at exploiting the weakness of his opponent, and is directly responsible for turning the former Soviet Union into an International hockey powerhouse, practically overnight. Shero is the most cerebral of the bunch, which should allow him to connect well with a thinker like Gretzky. Shero is also known as a clever motivator, using unique methods which inspire his players to perform for the betterment of the team. As a head coach, Bowman was the greatest ever at player matchups and making sure all 60 minutes are utilized to the max. Before the games started, Bowman was notorious for knowing exactly when all the TV commercial timeouts were taking place, so he would know when extra breathers were coming for his players. It was progressive thinking like this that helped Bowman standout amongst the rest of his peers. He was a hockey genius who never missed a trick. One thing is certain – my team will never be unprepared, outsmarted or outcoached.

First off, I hope you understand my team was assembled off of star power, the best available. We'll start off with Kurri. My answer? An excellent list, but I can not agree with Kurri. We have to remember, this team is being created from whatcould have been not what was. Kurri prospered because of Gretzky. His stats speak for themselves. The year Gretzky left (89-90 was his last season in EDM.) Kurri went and played in an Italian league. When Kurri returned to the NHL, suprise suprise it was in LA. I choose Valeri Kharlamhov. Pardon my French, but it just sucks that never got to see him play in the NHL. What he did in game 1 of the Summit Series shocked a nation. It only took a slash to the ankle by Bob Clarke and a fracture to slow him down. We must remember, if Clarke doesn't do that the Soviets may win game 6 and thats the end of it.
I choose Kharlamov at Gretzky's wing.

Forsberg. Very insightful. I completely understand why you chose Forsberg, and it makes sense, I just disagree with it. For this line's centre I choose Anatoli Firsov, I can't justify Jean Bealiveau on the second line of a real team, preventing his inclusion. Firsov was a leader. He was the original Soviet hockey player, he trained under your proposed coach, Anatoli Tarasov. Firsov competed in three Olympic games, Firsov won three Olympic games. Firsov was originally penciled in as a wing, but he can be moved to centre. I keep Howe on Firsov's side, and I'm fine with putting Mike Bossy ahead of Bobby Hull there as well.

For your 3rd line, I make literally no changes. Perfection, if a 3rd line can be called such. Absolutely nothing I would definitively change. Two Selke winners on either side with Messier in the middle, I'll take that any day.

The 4th line. Again, no definite problems. My only change is Claude Lemieux. I believe the proper amount of goal scoring will come from Tikkanen and Clarke, leading to my inclusion of *drum roll*
Bob Probert! Yup, you want a scrapper? Proberts you're guy. I can guarantee no one messes with all the HOF's on this squad.

The Defense

In my original list I included Fetisov much too high, I'll drop Robinson, add Fetisov and we'll call it fair.

Tretiak. I'm not having him anywhere but #1. Aside from the National team, what Fetisov did in the Soviet league is remarkable. 13 of 14 league titles. Imagine Brodeur winning 13 of the past 14 Stanley Cups. Granted, it's not the same but still. Tretiak won 3 gold medals (We'll talk about '80 a different day), 10 WC's and a Canada Cup. I wish we could have seen him in the NHL, so he could get the respect he deserves.

All in all, a great list. Just a few disagreements here and there. I didn't like you un-bias towards Soviets, but oh well.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Any, Any, Any all-time which doesn't include Maurice Richard and Gordie Howe at 1st and 2nd RW spot (any order, and it might depend with whom they're playing) fails miserably.

Especially if the concept is star power - in such a case, Richard should be, at worst, the 2nd pick, with only Gretzky having a claim at being ahead of him.

hockeymaneeak*

Any, Any, Any all-time which doesn't include Maurice Richard and Gordie Howe at 1st and 2nd RW spot (any order, and it might depend with whom they're playing) fails miserably.

Especially if the concept is star power - in such a case, Richard should be, at worst, the 2nd pick, with only Gretzky having a claim at being ahead of him.

You need to consider Valeri Kharlamov. Richard and Howe are both somewhat overrated IMO.

KingJoyal

Feb 4, 2010
The various posts here have inspired me to spell out my team. The first three lines are not necessarily listed in order of competence.

Hull (not Dennis) - Gretzky - Howe
- imagine Gretzky in his office behind the net, Howe performing surgery on the defenseman in front of the net, and Hull a little further back waiting to wind up

Kharlamov - Lemieux - Jagr
- folks in the stands would get whiplash watching these three and the puck movement

Messier - Forsberg - Richard (not Henri or Jacques)
- would these three be fun to defend against

Gainey - Federov - Carbonneau
- a checking line which occasionally would score

Orr - Shore

Potvin - Bourque

Lidstrom - Harvey

Plante - Hasek - Roy

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You need to consider Valeri Kharlamov. Richard and Howe are both somewhat overrated IMO.

Why the heck would I consider Kharlamov for a RW spot?

Howe and Richard are CERTAINLY not overrated. And Richard is probably underrated around these parts.

Star power? Richard drew more people at this funeral than most NHL teams do in a month. I think that's ... starpower.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Bobby Hull-Wayne Gretzky-Gordie Howe
Ted Lindsay-Mario Lemieux-Maurice Richard
Valeri Kharlamov-Jean Beliveau-Guy Lafleur
Frank Mahovlich-Stan Mikita-Jaromir Jagr
Howie Morenz

Bobby Orr-Doug Harvey
Eddie Shore-Ray Bourque
Denis Potvin-Nick Lidstrom
Red Kelly

Dominik Hasek
Jacques Plante
Patrick Roy

I like this one a lot.

Although I think Ted Lindsay is way overrated and I'd like to find a way to get Mike Bossy in there.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The team was assembled as if it was a legitimate 2nd line. Jean Beliveau never played on a second line. Ever.

Euh, not a 2nd line per se.

But if looking from an all-time perspective, a

Olmstead - Beliveau - Geoffrion

is probably weaker than a

Moore - Richard - Richard line.

It's even weaker if you take Olmstead away and replace him with Marcel Bonin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad