All time number 2 Duck

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
Do you guys think they would consider retiring 24 for Salei?

The number was taken out of circulation after the crash, and I could see it happening possibly.

Other than that its Teemu and Jiggy for me, only. Neids has a special role here, but it was 5 seasons at the end of his career. That's not worthy of a retirement. If we have a Hall of Fame or something, he shold be honored, especially because he's remained with the organization.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think Jiggy deserves to have his number retired if we are shifting the question to that. Not only did he have a hugely successful career here, but he literally dragged this team to their first Cup finals ever as well as later helping to win their first Cup. In the history of a team there can only be one first for everything. Not to mention he was a class act the whole time he was here and a big plus in the community. He absolutely deserves the honor.

I'd love to see him come back in some capacity after he retires.

Ted Brautigan

Dec 16, 2011
I think Jiggy deserves to have his number retired if we are shifting the question to that. Not only did he have a hugely successful career here, but he literally dragged this team to their first Cup finals ever as well as later helping to win their first Cup. In the history of a team there can only be one first for everything. Not to mention he was a class act the whole time he was here and a big plus in the community. He absolutely deserves the honor.

I'd love to see him come back in some capacity after he retires.

Yep. And he is all time best goalie. If someone goes up after Teemu, it must be Jiggy. But i'm waiting that Getzlaf brings the second Cup, then he goes up :)

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Getzlaf is a lock if he wins another cup for us. He's already the best center in franchise history. Just needs to play here 5-10 more years, hopefully win another cup, and score a lot of points

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Agree with AD. It's really hard for me to choose between Jiggy and Kariya. Maybe slightly towards Jiggy.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
What records does Kariya own? The only one I can think of is short handed goals(16)

Amount of shots and short handed goals. And in most other categories he is second. (except for penalty minutes and points by defenseman)

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Wow this is a hard one. Teemu is the clear number one of course but there are few players who could be number 2. The players I think about are Kariya, Giguere and Niedermayer. Kariya was a star player and the first pick, but his departure angered many. Niedermayer joined the Ducks to play with his brother and now after retiring, he's still connected with the team. He was the captain. However, I have to go with Giguere, he played for the Ducks so long and was there when they lost to the Devils and also when they won the cup. He's been with the team with it's ups and downs, while Kariya was only during the bad times and Niedermayer during the good times (mostly).

So Giguere is my pick.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Jiggy almost won us a cup and then DID win us a cup, and he was instrumental in getting us to 3 western conference championships. Giguere without even a second thought.

:huh:

Are you predicting the future? Hiller for Giguere, after we signed Fasth :sarcasm:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
He must have meant three Western Conference finals.

Right. My bad. Felt it more impressive than saying 2 SCF appearances. Because he did get us that far (WCF) 3 times.

Kariya helped get us to one SCF appearance. Jiggy did much more than that.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Who's this Kariya -person people keep talking about? I can't remember ever seeing him in Ducks.

No.2 should be Giggy. No.3 Nieds.

Did someone actually say Sykora?? Dear god.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Never mind. Brainfart. Whatever. Jiggy took us to two SCF's. Kariya took us to one and wasn't even the best guy on the team in that series.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Kariya didn't take us to the Cup Finals. Giguere did. Even in the most generous terms I can't give Kariya much credit for Anaheim going as far as they did that year. That was really all Giguere, with a shout out to some really committed players in the D zone.

GermanRocket7

Fire Newell Brown yesteryear!
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2008
Düsseldorf
Giguere, obviously. But I do agree that some time in the near future, probably even the same night Teemu's number will be hanging up in the rafters, Ruslan Salei's #24 should be hanging up there, too. He was with us for what, a decade? He may not have been the most skillful defenseman we ever had, but that man worked his ass off night in and night out for this franchise. Plus, iirc, he married a woman from the OC area, so he definitely grew some ties to the community as well.

#8, then #35 and #24. Other than that, I'm sorry for Scotty, because I absolutely loved him both as a player and as a human being, but he just wasn't here long enough to justify his number being retired.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I think Salei should get honored in some way somewhere in the Honda Center (maybe a memorial), but...number hanging from the rafters? I don't know about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad