All Time NHL Psycho

pirate94

Mar 18, 2010
I kind of like Hextall as my fav looney. The whole tongue sticking out incident with the Habs was priceless.
I remember him challenging Roy to come fight him and Roy just stood at the other end of the ice definitely not interested.

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I gather they mean nuts as in fighters. But wasn't there a goalie in the 70s who was certifiably nuts? Seems to me he played a couple years for the Rangers and once begged off a game based on a wound he claimed to have received in a past life during the American Revolution. His name escapes me though.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
I gather they mean nuts as in fighters. But wasn't there a goalie in the 70s who was certifiably nuts? Seems to me he played a couple years for the Rangers and once begged off a game based on a wound he claimed to have received in a past life during the American Revolution. His name escapes me though.

I was thinking of the same, but could not remember the name. Some other thread of similar subject included discussion about that looney. He would make a better substitute for Ron Hextall in the All Time Psycho starting lineup. (Sprague Cleghorn and Link Gaetz* would make the D-pair for sure.) edit: Gilles Gratton is the one: http://nyrangerslegends.blogspot.com/2006/05/gilles-gratton.html
Only more or less genuinely insane players should apply here. Off ice craziness counting as a big bonus.

*) Only thing against Gaetz would be that his infamous antics happened mostly in minor and beer leagues. No NHL GM dared to sign him after the car accident which made him even more nuts. Even though he could still play some serious hockey.

Btw, here is the older thread of the same subject: (top nuts of all time)
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=420224

Last edited:

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
I heard Billy Smith would slash anyone... Including teammates if they were in his crease and in his way

I remember a Billy Smith story that Mike Bossy shared on Off the Record quite some time ago...

He said he was taking some shots on Billy Smith in practice 1 day and he kept scoring on em in the same spot. After a few, Billy got pissed off and told Mike if he did it again he was gonna be sorry (I'm sure that was cleaned up for TV). Naturally, next time up Bossy did it again and Smith flipped his lid and went after Bossy with his stick. Teammates stepped in between before it got ugly.

I always got a kick out of that story.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I think that would be Giles Gratton

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
I wonder if steroids played a factor in some if not most of these.

No doubt some players abused them, but I think most hockey players with this "skill set" found that alcohol, coke and amphetamines were more than sufficient to fuel this kind of insanity, especially in the 70's and 80's.

Not to glamorize or advocate substance abuse in any way, but I enjoyed the hell out of watching these dudes go off.

Some of these guys I'm sure would say they did what they had to do to get up for games, but there are a few that you can tell just flat out enjoyed indulging themselves within that aspect of their psyche's, and I liked paying them to do it.
Unfortunately, like steroids, I think drugs and alcohol were viewed as a tool or some kind of performance enhancer for some guys. Talk about the perfect breeding grounds for criminal activity and mental instability. I'm surprised nobody died (at least I never heard of anybody getting killed).

God love em, every single one of these crazy arseholes past, present and future.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
Unfortunately, like steroids, I think drugs and alcohol were viewed as a tool or some kind of performance enhancer for some guys. Talk about the perfect breeding grounds for criminal activity and mental instability. I'm surprised nobody died (at least I never heard of anybody getting killed).

God love em, every single one of these crazy arseholes past, present and future.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!

Agreed about nuts being entertaining, but IIRC John Kordic did die because of substance abusing at age of 27. Death of Bob Probet may had it's roots in cocaine and alcohol abusing as well.

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Agreed about nuts being entertaining, but IIRC John Kordic did die because of substance abusing at age of 27. Death of Bob Probet may had it's roots in cocaine and alcohol abusing as well.

Absolutely right. I suppose what I meant is that I can't believe these guys didn't kill eachother on the ice doing this crazy ****.

You watch a guy like Probert, and you can say on an average night, he could get a little worked up. Then there are definitely on ice instances (incidents) where he's barely in control, if at all.

Pretty dangerous game within the game to playing, even if there are people paid to step in before it gets really ugly. I wonder what linesman were making in the day? I'm sure it was no where near enough some nights lol!

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Eddie Shack was a bit of a loose cannon...and could play too.

Saw him get two separate penalties on the same shift when he played for the Bruins. Boarded one guy in the offensive zone. During the delayed penalty the play went down into the Bruins zone where he boarded another guy. Then looks at the ref and says, "Who? Me?"

Guess which one he is.
Eddie%20Shack%20signed%203.jpg

Eddie+Shack+action.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad