All Time NHL Psycho

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
This has been discussed before and sooner or later Link Gaetz gets a note. He was hardly a regular NHLer, though.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
Gino Odjick was nuts.

In early and mid 90's, Odjick indeed had some reputation as a mentally unstable goon.

If we are counting off-ice antics too as a proof of being dangerously insane, then the likes of Link Gaetz, Krystof Oliwa and Enrico Ciccone are "good" candidates.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
In early and mid 90's, Odjick indeed had some reputation as a mentally unstable goon.

If we are counting off-ice antics too as a proof of being dangerously insane, then likes of Gaetz and Oliwa are "good" candidates.

Yeah. I've posted some stories about Oliwa that I got from the bouncers at Cowboys nightclub in Calgary, they can probably be found by searching the board. Basically about him beating up his girlfriend and threatening to kill the bouncers when they threw him out.

Slapshooter

Apr 25, 2007
Yeah. I've posted some stories about Oliwa that I got from the bouncers at Cowboys nightclub in Calgary, they can probably be found by searching the board. Basically about him beating up his girlfriend and threatening to kill the bouncers when they threw him out.

And after his NHL career Oliwa beat his GF almost fatally with a hockey stick.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Steve Durbano was a classic loose nut.

If Brian Spencer wasn't completely unhinged, then his dad sure was.

From what I've read here, Sprague Cleghorn would probably be in jail or an asylum rather than playing hockey if he was around these days.

A couple of years back, Ryan VandenBussche, for some post-hockey run in with the law was declared to have been a "non-insane automaton"... which, while technically not crazy, still sounds ****ing scary.

As for the minor leagues, no one got weirder than Kerry Toporowski or Garry Coupal.

Link Gaetz certainly deserves mention here too, although I always felt that without the car accident and the rampant alcoholism, he was on his way to being a pretty good NHL defenseman. He had skills beyond the gooning... and he was damn good at gooning. Ehhh, water under the bridge now, I guess.

Oh yeah, and Bill Goldthorpe (my avatar)... who was the inspiration for Ogie Oglethorpe.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Say what you want about recent goons but to my mind the list begins and ends with Sprague Cleghorn.

Derick*

Let's make a full lineup of psychos.

Starting goaltender: Ron Hextall.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010

If we are counting off-ice antics too as a proof of being dangerously insane, then the likes of Link Gaetz, Krystof Oliwa and Enrico Ciccone are "good" candidates.

And after his NHL career Oliwa beat his GF almost fatally with a hockey stick.

Oliwa was a friggen nut.......when he was with the Devils, he just wanted to fight and couldn't careless about much else

He was great to have on your side, but he was just a beast on skates.......that story about the nightclub in Calgary doesn't suprise me :laugh: it's just Oliwa being Oliwa

051119_nhl_fighting_hmed8p.hmedium.jpg

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
My rule of thumb is to fill in the blank in this story:

"Did you see _________________? Yeah, in the game tonight, he broke his stick, then tried to impale an opponent with the pieces. And these weren't taps either, he was going for the neck with a stabbing motion."

The only two guys I can think of in the last 25 years who would fit in there are both minor leaguers....Gary Coupal and Andy Bezeau.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
No one comes close to Jimmy "Sucker Punch" Mann

The Gardner Incident: The NHL suspended Mann 10 games during the 1981-82 season for leaving the bench to join an on-ice brawl during Winnipeg's Jan. 13, 1982, game vs. Pittsburgh. Mann came onto the ice and sucker-punched Paul Gardner, breaking Gardner's jaw in two places. Pittsburgh coach Eddie Johnston complained Mann had been ordered into the brawl by Winnipeg coach Tom Watt. The violence was so severe that the province of Manitoba charged Mann with assault and convicted him, although he was given a suspended sentence.

This too:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Depends on how you are defining the term in the original post but Gilles Gratton:

http://nyrangerslegends.blogspot.com/2006/05/gilles-gratton.html

In one interview with Marv Albert, Marv asked him about one of his many nicknames - the Count.

"Well, I've got something to tell you," Gratton began to explain. "In my last life I was a Spanish Count and one of the things I loved to do when I was a count in Spain was take all the commoners, line them up against a wall and throw rocks at them."

Can you imagine the look on Marv's face?!

But this wasn't the only past life that Gratton claimed to have stoned people to death. He also claimed he did similar things in a life during the biblical times.

Gratton once claimed that maybe being a professional hockey goalie was punishment for his bad habits in past lives. After all, having frozen pieces of rubber coming at you at 90 miles an hour is probably as close as you can get to getting stoned to death in today's day and age.

In his only full NHL season, Gratton split the New York Rangers schedule with fellow goalie John Davidson. "J.D." remembers Gratton well.

"He was a pretty good goalie, a pretty talented player. But he was a piece of work all right. A real piece of work" said Davidson.

While living with Gratton, Davidson pointed out to an incident that makes you wonder if Gratton really does have past lives.

"He'd just walk in, drop his coat on the floor and go right over to the piano. He could play classical piano and had never taken a lesson in his life! And I mean heavy classical music!"

Some other weird things about the man they called "Grattoony the Loony," among other things:

- Gilles once refused to play goal because the moon was in the wrong place in the sky.

- Gilles had a habit of hanging out naked after practices. He often threatened to do a complete strip show in the last game of the 1976-77 season. Despite his teammates yelling at him to actually do it, Gilles fortunately didn't!

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
No one comes close to Jimmy "Sucker Punch" Mann

The Gardner Incident: The NHL suspended Mann 10 games during the 1981-82 season for leaving the bench to join an on-ice brawl during Winnipeg's Jan. 13, 1982, game vs. Pittsburgh. Mann came onto the ice and sucker-punched Paul Gardner, breaking Gardner's jaw in two places. Pittsburgh coach Eddie Johnston complained Mann had been ordered into the brawl by Winnipeg coach Tom Watt. The violence was so severe that the province of Manitoba charged Mann with assault and convicted him, although he was given a suspended sentence.

This too:

The sucker punch reference brings to mind john ferguson. He usually punched his opponent 2 or 3 times before they realized there was going to be a fight.

Loto68

Aug 12, 2006
Boston
The sucker punch reference brings to mind john ferguson. He usually punched his opponent 2 or 3 times before they realized there was going to be a fight.

When ever I think of sucker punches, I think of Matt Johnson punching Jeff Beukeboom in the back of the head as hard as he could, just because. Ended Beuk's career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad