All-Time Nemesis team?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Pretty straightforward topic here. I was thinking about this the other night when the Alumni Game was going on. If you could have a team of Canes alumni play against a team of players that could be considered our all-time nemesis who would you pick our guys to play against? Could range from guys that just simply killed us to guys that were once Canes (or Canes property for that matter) that really irked us, to just simply great players that we consistently ran in to back when we actually did make the playoffs.

Here's some of my nominees:

Nathan Horton
Olli Jokinen
Ed Belfour
Marty Brodeur
Scott Stevens
Marty St Louis
Keith Primeau
Brooks Orpik

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
How do you not include John Tavares? Guy has to be close to a 2.00 PPG against the Canes

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Karri Ramo - when he was with Tampa it was impossible to score on the guy.

Brian Little ALWAYS seemed to light us up, especially in his Atlanta days
Evander Kane

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Used to seem like Tampa could throw anyone in nets and they'd stonewall us. I remember Johan Holmqvist giving us a really hard time, too.

Yep, would swear his GAA/Save% against the rest of the league was basically beer league level ****, and yet any time he'd play us all of a sudden he's the second coming of Tretiak.

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
If it was a game vs 18 skaters with no career nhl goals and a goalie with his first career start, the score line would be 18-0 with 50 saves for numbnuts.

bluedevil58*

I can tell that almost all of you are bandwagon / fair weather fans that only followed the Canes after they won the cup.

Want to know why? None of you agree that it's Scott Stevens. The player that took out both Shane Willis and Ron Francis in consecutive playoff games.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I think there might be more living dinosaurs in existence than current bandwagon Hurricanes fans.

At any rate, I'd nominate the entire early-'00s Devils back end (Stevens, White, Daneyko & Co.), simply because it was a street fight every time we got the puck into their end. They obviously were more comfortable with that than we were; aside from the trap, their game plan basically was to just beat us up until we went away. Also from that era, Gary Roberts left a few months before I started following the team, so I'm not sure what his departure was like, but I remember him being such a PITA during the '02 ECF that I wondered if he had a grudge.

More recently, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin were both annoying in their younger years, but that seemed to fade over time. Semin ate us alive until we signed him. Seems like Backstrom does pretty well against us too.

The last few years, we've been so awful that there's not really any bad blood with anybody. Boston hated it when we kept pushing their buttons and beating them that one season, but otherwise, it's been pretty quiet.

Last edited:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I can tell that almost all of you are bandwagon / fair weather fans that only followed the Canes after they won the cup.

Want to know why? None of you agree that it's Scott Stevens. The player that took out both Shane Willis and Ron Francis in consecutive playoff games.

i am not bandwagon u r bandwagon

bluedevil58*

#bandwagonfan found. Seriously. Why did nobody mentioned Stevens until now?

#fairweatherfans
:sarcasm:

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
#bandwagonfan found. Seriously. Why did nobody mentioned Stevens until now?

#fairweatherfans
:sarcasm:

Pretty straightforward topic here. I was thinking about this the other night when the Alumni Game was going on. If you could have a team of Canes alumni play against a team of players that could be considered our all-time nemesis who would you pick our guys to play against? Could range from guys that just simply killed us to guys that were once Canes (or Canes property for that matter) that really irked us, to just simply great players that we consistently ran in to back when we actually did make the playoffs.

Here's some of my nominees:

Nathan Horton
Olli Jokinen
Ed Belfour
Marty Brodeur
Scott Stevens
Marty St Louis
Keith Primeau
Brooks Orpik

stevens was mentioned in the op.

bluedevil58*

stevens was mentioned in the op.

By the OP yes. But you guys failed to mention him due to not following the team during the time period where he did what I mentioned. I was at the one game when Francis went down. I saw first hand the horror.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00