NFL: All Time Draft I

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
If my team hadn't committed to a 3-4 defense (after getting LT & Ray Lewis) I would CERTAINLY HAVE selected Buchanan several rounds ago!

But a 3-4 defense doesn't need a typical DT but instead a great nose tackle: a different kind of player. So, I had to pass the Buck. :)

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
49ers select TE, Shannon Sharpe, Savannah State

1360072_original.jpg

@VanIslander

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Seattle selects the greatest offensive tackle of all time, as determined by the football hall of fame committee in 1969,... Cal Hubbard! (no post-WWII bias here)

To be 6'2, 253 lbs. in the 1930's was incredible given the average height was 5'8.

In 1931 the NFL listed its first all-league team and Hubbard was on it at tackle. Again the next two years. In Green Bay, coach Lambeau considered him a key to their three consecutive championships.

Since players back then played both sides of the ball, he is also credited for defining the role of run-stopping linebacker.

Last edited:

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
The Falcons take Greg Olsen

giphy.gif

And Jack Youngblood. When he was done sacking your quarterback, he stole your girl, sorry.

2018-07-03_15-47-05.jpg

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Those guys were all great but imo Gonzalez had the best career while Gronk was the most dominant tight end of alltime.
Different strokes for different folks.

I picked Gonzalez during his draft year in a dynasty draft and have been a fan of his since day 1 in the NFL. He is a great RECEIVING TE. But he is less physical. He and Winslow were basketball players in college, and Winslow seems the stronger and faster of the two, the groundbreaker he is known to be for TEs as receiver during a run-obsessed era. Of course the modern game lends itself to better stats, but I am not sure how much of a gap if any is between Gonzalez and Winslow.

Gronkowski and Ditka are strong at blocking and catching. One had Brady and the other had legendary yards after catch ability. Trophy counting, modern era tendency to pass and recency bias favors Gronk. But the gap should not be big if one respects history.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Dolphins select John Elway
Thank you!

There were three gunslingers and my guy left. You took one of the gunslingers.

My team needs to AVOID making turnovers, so risky interception-rich hot dogs make no sense. I have a defensively dominant speedy squad, built on a 3-4 linebacker-strong alignment. The offense has a bell cow in Emmitt, a slotback/motion TE in Winslow, a dual threat Ditka, and two pairs of the best hands at wide out (Largent, Carter) to catch and not fumble the ball.

I will select the QB in the last round, but I will get one of the four guys my team needs (only Montana, Brady, Manning and my guy could do the job). Funny thing is: my guy I ranked 2nd out of the four, so i'm pleased as punch!

Anyways,... I have a center to profile now, as i'm on the clock.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Seattle selects something you don't see often: a center who was the NFL MVP one year: Mel Hein, a top-75 and top-100 NFL list selection who was a college star center on an undefeated team, going on to eight consecutive all-pro seasons in the NFL. "Old Indestructible" was his nickname. The Giants retired his #7 and the NFL Network has repeatedly listed him as one of the top 100 football players of all time.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
QB Watch 2020

VI "wins" the battle of chicken.

The picks are:

2. @Bogart - PHI - QB Tom Brady
3. @CHGoalie27 - NYG - QB Dan Marino
4. @mymerlincat - SF - QB Joe Montana
17. @Trap Jesus - MN - QB Peyton Manning
40. @spintheblackcircle - ATL - QB Drew Brees
106. @DaaaaB's - DET - QB Steve Young
139. @Kent Nilsson - MIA - QB John Elway
Unless there's action during add/drop on this front, gunslingers Johnny Unitas and Brett Favre won't be selected. Sad. Next time we need a few more participants to make sure all the contenders for best of the best are drafted.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Detroit selects RB Marshall Faulk.
I was really close to taking him over AP but I think it would have been overkill for the passing game with Rice/Moss/AB/Gates. Manning is so good off play action so helps to have a more prototypical rushing-talent RB.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I was really close to taking him over AP but I think it would have been overkill for the passing game with Rice/Moss/AB/Gates. Manning is so good off play action so helps to have a more prototypical rushing-talent RB.
I would've done the same as you with that lineup of guys. Peterson was definitely a better runner than Faulk. I wanted Faulk to help my passing game as much as anything. He was a good runner too and a surprisingly good blocker but definitely not your prototypical running back.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
330px-Darrelle_Revis_2014.jpg

CB Darrelle Revis

Revis is considered one of the best cornerbacks to play in the NFL, and was named to the NFL's 2010s All-Decade Team.

Trap Jesus takes LB Terrell Suggs, DE Willie Davis

330px-Darren_Sharper_in_2011.jpg

S Darren Sharper

Sharper was a five-time Pro Bowl selection, and was named to the NFL's 2000s All-Decade Team. He finished his career with 63 interceptions, sixth on the NFL's all-time leader list at the time of his retirement. His 13 defensive touchdowns are tied for the most all-time. @CHGoalie27 is up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad