All-Time Draft #5

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
A Self Critique Of the Teepees

My self Critique. Other Critiques welcome.

St Catherines Teepees

Head Coach: Tommy Ivan
:
Anders Hedberg – Ulf Nilsson – Bobby Hull
Bill Mosienko – Max Bentley – Doug Bentley
Eddie Litzenberger – Milt Schmidt – Paul Thompson
Andy Bathgate – Alex Delvecchio – Dean Prentice
Todd Sloan

Dit Clapper – Gus Mortson
Lionel Conacher –Lars Erik Sjoberg
Elmer Vasko-Babe Pratt
Bob Goldham

Chuck Gardiner
Al Rollins
Roger Crozier

General

-Love this team
-I tended to pick players from the golden age 1942-1967 because this is the era I am most familiar with. I was a kid in the 50’s & early 60’s & then was when I was most devoted to the game.. Also there where only 6 teams and you could recognize every player. I watch today but not as much & there are so many teams.
-IMO, I picked the best player available regardless of position.

Strengths

-I picked set lines where I could with the Hull hot line from the 70’s & the Bentley Pony line from the 40’s. These are two incredibly speedy & skilled lines.
- Bathgate & Prentice are together again on the fourth line with the great Alex Delvecchio as center.
-The only line that mixes eras is my third line of :Litzenberger, Schmidt & Thompson.
-Some may consider most of my players as stronger offensively but in the era they played in, you had to be a two way player to stick. Players like Schmidt & Doug Bentley were considered very strong backcheckers..
-Big strong defense-- 5 of my 7 defensemen were 6’2†or more. Big for their eras.
-Tough defense. Guys like Conacher & Mortson were as tough as they come.
-In goal, Vexina, Hart. and Conn smythe winners.

Weaknesses

-No grinder defensive type forwards. This was on purpose. If you have the skill, IMO you can play both ways. Also most of these guys are from the era where you had to play both ways.
-Other than Sjoberg & Pratt defense is not that mobile..
-Maybe should have looked closer at more current players.

Steals

-Bobby Hull at #10 even though I paid dearly. IMO Bobby is in the top 5, no question.

Too early
-Hedberg, Nilsson, hedberg, Mosienko, litzenberger maybe too early but these are players I really wanted.
-Ivan as a coach (round 20). Probably could have got him last round even though he coached 3 Cup winners.

Regets

Was poised to pick, Roy conacher, Busher Jackson, Stapelton. Gadsby & Flaman but beat to it in the same round.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
How does this read

If you think the bio thread is coming together slowly let me tell you that I have spent thousands of hours here on this thread and it's two predecessors.(Which have been Deleted)

These are the players selected in the all time hockey drafts 1,2,3,4 4b AND 5
I plan on linking each player to their player bio on the legend of hockey website.
If you know of a better online bio source please let me know. When a bio is scarce with player info I will try and find a better source to bring the memory of the former great back to life. If you have info on a player and would like for me to use it please send me a pm. I'll give you credit for your work if you wish.

If you write and want to do some bios (Some bios on the HHOF website are vague)
I would love to have some help!

Thanks to BM67 Murphy2 HockeyOutsider #66 Vanislander Raleh for helping with the bios

These are the players who have been selected in at leats one draft. Most players are selections are based on 5 prime seasons. There have been a few rare exceptions as generational talents are getting picked in this draft rather early in there careers.We as a league won't stop that as each GM has freedom to select any player who has played in organized hockey over the last 130 yrs.

Risky Picks

If you pick a player who is a rookie in Draft #1 because this player has a phenomal Inaugerial season you are making a risky pick that could jeapordize your over all record as a GM by the time we get to 10 or 20 drafts. If the rookie player gets a career ending injury then that will lessen his career status.Though I think most will agree some recent rookie players are too tempting not to select.

OldTime Players

Todays players are well conditioned high performace athletes who make millions of dollars during there careers. These players have there lifestyle and trade because of the efforts of every generation who played the game before them. They owe a debt of graditude to the for fathers who started the game. Players from a long past era played for the love of the game. Many were amateurs others made amateur wages had had to have a offseason job.

If the game we love had a lifetime simular to man. We would firstly characterize the game and the baby steps it took to grow the game as the infancy of our beloved sport. The memories of many of those players from the pre-nhl era are lost in time. The game and the athletes who played the game have evolved far beyond from there origins. It is unfair to compare atheltes from different eras.No one wants to undermind the greatness of players from various eras. No doubt todays players are better conditioned then players just a generation ago.Great modern players can play 20 years if they don't suffer a career ending injury. The game and the players have evolved from the beggings. Some may argue that players from another time may not be able to compete with the monster players of the modern era.

If we can magically select great players from different eras and place them onto teams that would compete today then we could also sumerize that they would use todays modern conditioning and training techniques. The drive and desire to be the best would take over and they would compete like all great players do.

After the lockout the nhl has experinced a re-birth of sorts. They have a new american TV deal with a broadcasting partner that presents the game within a culture that will grow the game and broaden awareness.The game has a multitude of new rules that has allowed the skilled speedy players to break away from the clutching and grabing of the pre lockout nhl.

Truely todays nhl and todays players represent the age of a young adult with a future that will be unparraled. The game and players have evolved but they all should bow and thank those who came before them. This draft is a time machine to re-visit and thank the great players from the past.

I been trying to come up with something to write as a introduction to the draft
What do you think ? any suggestions?

Ill do another re-write later today.

Last edited:

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The New Jersey Devils

Coach: Lester Patrick

#27 John Tonelli - #10 Syl Apps - #9 Charlie Conacher
#6 Frank Nighbor - #88 Eric Lindros - #14 Vaclav Nedomansky
#7 Keith Tkachuk - #17 Rod Brind'Amour - #22 Rick Tocchet
#10 Craig Ramsay - #21 Brent Sutter - #8 Joe Klukay
#16 Vladimir Petrov

#77 Ray Bourque - #2 Mark Howe
#2 Viacheslav Fetisov - #7 Alexei Kasatonov
#2 Bill White - #19 Doug Mohns
Lester Patrick

#1 Jacques Plante
#1 Chuck Rayner
#2 Jiri Holecek

Player - Hgt. - Wgt. - Shot
Ray Bourque - 5'11", 219 lbs, Shoots: left
Jacques Plante - 6'0", 175 lbs, Catches: left
Viacheslav Fetisov - 6'1", 220 lbs, Shoots: left
Charlie Conacher - 6'1", 202 lbs, Shoots: right
Syl Apps - 6'0", 185 lbs, Shoots: right
Alexei Kasatonov - 6'1", 215 lbs, Shoots: left
Mark Howe - 5'11", 185 lbs, Shoots: left
Vaclav Nedomansky - 6'2", 205 lbs, Shoots: left
Eric Lindros - 6'4", 240 lbs, Shoots: right
John Tonelli - 6'1", 200 lbs, Shoots: left
Craig Ramsay - 5'10", 175 lbs, Shoots: left
Rod Brind'Amour - 6'1", 203 lbs, Shoots: left
Bill White - 6'2", 195 lbs, Shoots: right
Brent Sutter – 6’0â€, 188 lbs, Shoots: right
Rick Tocchet – 6’0â€, 210 lbs, Shoots: right
Keith Tkachuk – 6’2â€, 220 lbs, Shoots: left
Chuck Rayner - 5'11", 190 lbs, Catches: left
Doug Mohns - 6’0â€, 185 lbs, Shoots: left
Joe Klukay - 6'0", 175 lbs, Shoots: left
Frank Nighbor - 5'9", 160 lbs, Shoots: right
Vladimir Petrov - 6'0", 198 lbs, Shoots: right
Jiri Holecek – 5’11â€, 165 lbs, Catches: left
Lester Patrick - 6’1â€, 180lbs, Shoots: left
Goaltenders: 5'11.3", 176.7 lbs, r-l: 0-3
Defense: 6'0.4", 199.9 lbs, r-l: 1-6
Forwards: 6'0.5", 197 lbs, r-l: 7-6

Is this the team I wanted?
No, I got about half the guys I went in to the draft hoping for, which isn't too bad considering, but really I only missed on 3 "players". I wanted a playmaking LW, I got Tkachuk instead of Olmstead. I wanted one more righty defender, but kept just missing out on the good ones, but got good value for my picks in Mohns and Patrick. I wanted a little more pop on the checking line RW, but Gare goes early as do several others and I'm left with "settling for" the top notch defense of Klukay, who went to the top of my draft list when I noted he was previously undrafted.

Was trading down in the first round worth it?
I went from Orr to Harvey to Bourque in my first round trading, while moving up 10 spots on 3 of my next 4 picks. I got Plante in the 2nd round, who would not have been there for my pick, so that worked well. The next two picks aren't as clear cut. I got Charlie Conacher and Syl Apps, who might have been there at my picks 10 spots later, but I had hopes somebody would fall to me at 57 and Conacher wouldn't have been there at 70. So I probably didn't make any gain out of the trade, but Orr and ??? for Bourque and Plante is good value.

Team strengths
1 - Goaltending - I have the guy I rate #1 all-time, and two strong skating goalies that like to play the puck to help out the D. Two Hart winning goalies (both were also picked as retro Conn Smythe winners, making them the only goalies with both a Hart and a Conn Smythe) and a spare that was named top goalie at the World Championships more times than Tretiak.

2 - Defense - With 2 of the top 10 defensemen of all-time, and a strong supporting cast of all-around talents, all I lack is a true monster body like a Pronger or Chara. With the steady play of Bourque and Howe, the "Green Unit" defense pairing, the under-rated defense of White, the speedy and versatile Mohns, and the intelligence and smoothness of the "Silver Fox", I have the option to move Howe or Mohns to forward without creating a "weakness".

3 - Forward versatility - With some speed, size, grit, defense and offense on all 4 lines, line matching will not be as key as it will be for some other teams, but still each line fills a designed role. With a number of players fit for all situations, the team wont be crippled by a key player being penalized or injured at a bad time.

Weaknesses
1 - No killer top offensive line - While not lacking in offensive punch, I do not have the lineup to throw out a "killer" unit to try to get that key goal late in a game. Having a Mikita/Jagr or Orr/Coffey, to offer that concentrated offensive punch at the right time would have made the team just about unbeatable. Still looking at other teams, I might still be average in this regard.

2 - Lack of options on the right side - I have 9 guys to throw on LW, and 8 at center, but only 2 players were fulltime RWs, and I only have 1 righty shot on D, and he is the least offensive of my D. I do have 5 righty centers that could slide over, but I'd rather have hade 1 more RW "regular".

3 - Over abundance of crease crashers/slotmen - I have a lot of guys that want to go to the front of the net/down low to score. There's only so much room, and you only really need one at a time, so a line of Tkachuk/Lindros/Conacher just wouldn't work. At least Nedomansky only became a "slot machine" after his speed started to go. Combined with the fact that I have an "extra" in Tkachuk in place of the "playmaker" I wanted and there is a little inbalance to the team.

Steals/Too soon
This is hard. Half my team were selected lower than they've ever gone in these drafts, but that doesn't really mean they're steals.

Tkachuk, Tocchet and Petrov took huge drops from past drafts, but I'd probably rate only Petrov as a "true" steal.

I'll single out Frank Nighbor as my steal of the draft. Nighbor was Frank Boucher's boyhood idol, and the man whom he couldn't get any playing time behind in Ottawa, causing him to go out west. Boucher went over 250 picks earlier than Nighbor. Boucher was great, but he was never considered the "best hockey player in the world" like Nighbor. To get a multiple Hart and Selke winner (as selected by the writers of Ultimate Hockey) in the 20th round is a steal for sure.

Honourable mention to Vladimir Krutov who I traded away to complete the KLM line.

Steals is a little harder as very few of the players I drafted would have made it through another round to be selected later.

I'll go with White and Rayner as the only reason I picked them when I did is because I wanted them later, and couldn't decide between a couple of other players, so I let the rest of you make my choices for me.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I think all of these teams have already been “reviewed†by somebody else, but here’s my take on some of the teams. I will try my best to discuss a few more.

MURPHY2: ALBERTA OILERS HOCKEY CLUB

Strengths
- Outstanding top defense pairing. Nothing more needs to be said about Orr, who could do everything at an elite level. Pronovost is an excellent pick. I think he’d be the ideal complement to Orr because he’s so steady and consistent. Pronovost is a tough defensive blueliner with bit of a mean streak and was an excellent skater. He’ll be able to shut down most forwards with his speed and physical player.
- Your bottom two defense pairings are very good since you have a nice balance between fast, skilled offense-minded players (Coffey and Ragulin) and steady, defenders (Ragulin, Lowe).
- Very strong down the left-wing. Good mix with two dangerous, highly skilled goal-scorers, a gritty power forward, and an elite shutdown winger.
- You have arguably the best fourth line in the draft. Teams will have a very hard time scoring facing Gainey, Madden and O’Reilly at the same time. Only complaint is that they may get eventually worn down by bigger, tougher players (there’s only so much O’Reilly could do).
- Penalty killing should be very strong with Gainey/Madedn/Orr and one of Pronovost or Lutchenko.
- Excellent speed and skating on top two lines and defense pairs, though it drops off a bit after that.

Weaknesses
- Biggest flaw: the lack of an elite offensive forward (as in, somebody who’s led the league in goals, assists or points multiple times). Every player on your top two lines are very talented offensively… but I feel you’re missing a true game-breaker that many other teams have.
- Your goaltending is weak in comparison to many teams. I don’t see Fuhr being a difference-maker in close, low-scoring games. Richter’s a mediocre backup, he was never one of the best goalies in the league for any significant stretch of time.
- Minor point, but I think your team would be stronger with Beck rather than Lowe. While I value Lowe’s experience, a healthy Beck could do almost everything better than Lowe.

GOD BLESS CANADA: TRAIL SMOKE EATERS

Strengths
- Outstanding group of well-rounded defensemen. Taylor, Clancy and the very underrated Cameron are elite skaters, excellent stickhandlers, and played 50+ minutes per game. They’ll do a great job starting rushes and making breakout passes. Brewer and Harvey are also quite skilled. You have many good defensive blueliners, too. Harvey, Flaman, Mantha and Brewer can shut down anyone.
- Great goaltending. Durnan was one of the most dominant goaltenders in NHL and completely dominated his position for seven years. He has extensive postseason success. Apparently he was ambidextrous, which will definitely confuse the opposition. (Vachon is an average to above-average backup; Moog is good in the third spot.)
- Extensive playoff success. Most of your players made major contributions to Cup-winning teams.
- Love your third line. Great combination of two-way players.

Weaknesses
- Your defensemen are very small. Harvey’s the biggest defenseman on your team, and he’s just 5’11â€, 190. Cameron and Clancy are 155 lbs., and I’d imagine Taylor is around there as well. I think this defense corps would be weak against a team with a lot of power forwards and/or one that plays an aggressive, grinding game. Your defensemen are NOT soft (Brewer, Harvey and Flaman are all elite shut-down players and are fairly tough) but fatigue/injury is a legitimate concern.
- The same criticism applies to your top six forwards: none of them are over 5’11†or 185 lbs. Again, they’re a fairly tough bunch and some like Clarke and Jackson relished physical play. But they’d be vulnerable against large, aggressive defenses.
- Drop-off in scoring after the top line. If a team can contain your top line you’ll have trouble scoring. As much as I like Abel (as an all-around player) and Savard (for being so fun to watch), they aren’t game-breakers. This will allow opponents to put their biggest, toughest defenders against your top line, which is a particular concern because they’re fairly small, and could get worn down easily.

LEAF LANDER: TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS

Strenghts:
- Your top line would be amazing to watch. I think Kariya, Gretzky and Bure would get along extremely well together. All three players have the rare ability to out-think the opposition and will undoubtedly come up with a lot clever plays in the offensive zone. I think that if they played together in the 80’s Bure would’ve routinely scored 100 goals and Gretzky could approach 250 pts.
- Incredible top-end talent on defense. Lidstrom, Chelios and Sologubov provide excellent defense, significant offensive talent and big-game experience.
- Great third line. Carbonneau can shut down almost anyone while Roberts and Foligno provide a good two-way presence with a lot of toughness.
- Broda is a solid #1 goalie.

Weaknesses:
- As much as I’ve praised your top line earlier, all three players are soft defensively and don’t play a physical game. They could get shut down by an aggressive, physical team and will be responsible for a ton of goals against.
- Lack of elite scoring talent beyond the top line. True, Barber, Richard, Iginla and Bertuzzi each had 1-3 big offensive seasons, but they never consistently challenged for the league lead in goals, assists or points. Your team won’t win a lot of games if the top line is shut down.
- You’re somewhat lacking in depth on defense. Baun and Day are solid but I don’t think either of them are good enough for a spot on the second pair. I don’t think Jovanovski should have been drafted at all

RALEH: SPRINGFIELD INDIANS

Strengths:
- Outstanding group of physical defensive defensemen. Any team will have a tough time trying to get through Horton, Horner and Johnson. You probably have the best purely defensive blueline in the draft.
- Good top line. Offensive is average compared to other teams’ top lines, but you make up for it with good playoff performances, strong defense and a solid two-way presence.
- Almost certainly the toughest team in the draft.
- Can’t believe you got those Bruins on your second line. Obviously they have great chemistry and excellent offensive talent. Opponents will have a tough time with Espo in front of the net and Cashman in the corners.

Weaknesses:
- As great as your defensemen are defensively, they severely lack offensive talent. Savard is your best offensively and while he’s a good puckmover and playmaker, he’s not in the same class as most #1 offensive defensemen. Desjardins is solid but nobody else on your blueline moved the puck really well. None were big goal-scorers either.
- Too much emphasis on goons. I know Probert and Williams had a bit of offensive skill, but you already had enough tough fighters on your roster who could actually play. Probert and Williams added nothing and wasted two roster spots on what could have been two fairly good players.

RECKONING: OTTAWA 67’s

Strenghts:
- Well-rounded defense corps. All of your top four defensemen are tough, mean, and great defensively. Shore/Gadsby would be hell to play against—you can’t outskate them and both were capable (and willing) of unleashing a devastating hit. Shore, Gadsby and Duchense will provide a solid offensive punch.
- Excellent offensive depth. Ratelle, Elias and Vaive could play on the second line on most teams in the draft.
- Good speed. Morenz, Shore, Gadsby, Stapleton, Pavelich and Elias could all skate extremely well.
- Good checking line. Nice mix of speed, size and physical play.
- Great goaltending. Smith will give the team a lot of confidence as a veteran #1 netminder and Hainsworth could be a #1 goalie on some teams here.

Weaknesses:
- Your top line is tiny; they all weight between 165 and 175 lbs. and none of them were very physical. How would they do facing Pronger, Stevens, Konstantinov, etc? Same criticism applies to second line.
- Defense could have used a pure rusher/powerplay specialist like Housley, Gonchar, etc.

I'll try to review some more teams later.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Hockey Outsider,

Agree almost entirely with your statements. As stated before, I wanted a team that would thrive in the playoffs, and I think I succeeded in doing that in two regards:
1) Selecting players with a history of thriving and winning in the playoffs. (You guys have no idea how great of a feeling it is to know that everyone on my team has a Cup ring). No greater compliment that I can pay than to say "he was the best player on the best team in hockey."
2) Building my team from the back-end out. That's one of the reasons I went with a goalie in the third round (IMO, the top 10 goalies are very close, that's why I wanted my ace defenceman and my captain with my first two picks) and defencemen in rounds 1, 4 and 5. (I actually had Clancy rated right after Taylor, and couldn't believe my good fortune when Clancy dropped to my fifth round pick). There are lots of great forwards available (witness Nighbour and Bailey going in the final rounds).

As for my third line, I went into the draft wanting strong defensive players who were capable of producing offensively. I think I got it. I'm a big fan of all three players. Tikannen was a dominant shutdown defensive forward who could get you 70 points a year. He also won five Cups. When I drafted Larmer, I did it hoping to unite him and Savard, but also knowing that he could admirably play the checking line right wing role. (It's that versatility I crave so much). When I didn't get the checking line right winger I was hoping for, I moved Larm's to that role. As for Joel Otto, it's this simple: I don't think we've seen a centre combine size, physical play, defensive awareness and faceoff acumen since Otto was at his peak in the late 1980s/first half of the 1990s.

I agree that size is a weakness. That's not by design. I don't believe size is that big of a deal for forwards - I'm not concerned about size as much as how they played the game. Size on defence is a much bigger concern. When I pulled the trade with Spit in Round 10, I was ready to take Lionel Conacher, who would have given me that big, rough-and-tumble shutdown defenceman that I'm lacking. I make the trade, cross my fingers that The Big Train will drop to my pick late in the round, and watch murray proceed to take him. (I guess that was payback for my selection of Busher Jackson.)

I will disagree with your statement that I don't have game-breakers beyond my first line. I think Savard is a game-breaker. Top 25 in all-time scoring. Over a point-per-game for career playoff scoring. A gifted stick-handler and playmaker. I don't think there's any difference between Savard and Hawerchuk's place in the history of the game. And even though I said I drafted him a little early, I think Kent Nilsson is a game-breaker offensively.

I know scoring is going to be a challenge, but I think they only need to get me three goals per game for me to succeed.

BTW, BM, Frank Nighbor was not only your biggest steal, but one of the biggest steals of the draft. Krutov was an exceptionally shrewd selection. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why he's the commish.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Hap day was the top defenceman on the leas during his long career
He and ace bailey were the pilar which the leafs were built around

Bobby Buan was # 2 or 3 on a championship leafs squad in teh origional 6 days.

Ed Jovanovski,D 3 time all star and playd for canada in teh olympics and was invited but injured for the 06 olympics.

my top line would have puck control and superio hockey sense and great defenceman to help my team defeat any opponet.Course this is all for not if superman starts playing hockey

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
#66 - Quebec Aces
Mario Lemieux - 6’4â€, 225 r
Red Kelly - 6'0", 195
Brad Park - 6’0â€, 200
Bill Cook - 5'10", 175 r
Dickie Moore - 5’10â€, 185
Aurel Joliat – 5’7â€, 136
Teemu Selanne - 6’0â€, 200 r
Frank Brimsek – 5’9â€, 170
Joe Thornton 6'4", 223
Butch Goring – 5’9â€, 170
J.C. Tremblay – 5’11â€, 170
Danny Gare – 5’9â€, 175 r
Tiny Thompson – 5’10â€, 160
Bobby Nystrom – 6’1â€, 200 r
Jean-Guy Talbot – 5’11â€, 170
Mark Tinordi – 6’4â€, 213
Billy Coutu – 5’11â€, 190
Herbie Lewis - 5’9â€, 163
Sidney Crosby – 5’11â€, 193
Glen Sather, coach
Craig Hartsburg – 6’1â€, 200
Bob Bourne – 6’3â€, 200
Dave Kerr – 5’10â€, 160 r
Wayne Merrick – 6’1â€, 195

Team averages (with spares) shots
G: 5’9.5â€, 165 (5’9.7â€, 163.3) r-l 1-2
D: 6’0.2â€, 189.7 (6’0.3â€, 191.1) r-l 0-7
F: 5’11.4â€, 187.1 (5’11.5â€, 187.7) r-l 5-8

BM67 – New Jersey Devils
Raymond Bourque – 5’11â€, 219
Jacques Plante - 6'0", 175
Viacheslav Fetisov - 6'1", 220
Charlie Conacher - 6'1", 202 r
Syl Apps Sr. - 6'0", 185 r
Alexei Kasatonov - 6’1â€, 215
Mark Howe - 5’11, 185
Vaclav Nedomansky - 6’2â€, 210
Eric Lindros - 6’4â€, 236 r
John Tonelli - 6'1", 200
Craig Ramsay – 5’10â€, 185
Rod Brind'amour 6’1â€, 202
Bill White - 6'2", 185 r
Brent Sutter – 6’0â€, 188 r
Rick Tocchet – 6’0â€, 210 r
Keith Tkachuk – 6’2â€, 220
Chuck Rayner – 5’11â€, 190
Doug Mohns – 6’0â€, 185
Lester Patrick, coach
Frank Nighbor - 5'9", 160 r
Joe Klukay – 6’0â€, 182
Vladimir Petrov - 6'0", 198 r
Jiri Holecek – 5’11â€, 165
Lester Patrick – 6’1â€, 180

G: 5’11.5â€, 182.5 (5’11.3â€, 176.7) r-l 0-3
D: 6’0.3â€, 201.5 (6’0.4â€, 198.4) r-l 1-6
F: 6’0.5â€, 198.3 (6’0.5â€, 198.3) r-l 7-6

Spitfire11 - Detroit Red Wings
Gordie Howe - 6’0â€, 205 r
Ken Dryden – 6’4â€, 205
Joe Sakic – 5’11â€, 192
Sergei Fedorov – 6’1â€, 200
Sergei Makarov - 5’11â€, 185
Jacques Laperriere – 6’2â€, 180
Igor Larionov – 5’9â€, 170
Vladimir Konstantinov – 5’11â€, 190 r
Butch Bouchard - 6’2â€, 205 r
Toe Blake - 5’10â€, 165
Jere Lehtinen – 6’0â€, 200 r
Alexander Ovechkin – 6’2â€, 212 r
Vladimir Krutov – 5’9â€, 195
Bob Pulford – 5’11â€, 188
Toe Blake, coach
Gerry Cheevers - 5’11â€, 185
Mike Ramsey – 6’3â€, 195
Brad Richards – 6’1â€, 198
Art Coulter – 5’11â€, 185 r
Jim Schoenfeld – 6’2â€, 200
Harry Lumley – 6’0â€, 195
Ralph Backstrom – 5’10â€, 165
Ron Greschner – 6’2â€, 205
Don Marcotte – 5’11â€, 183

G: 6’1.5â€, 190 (6’1â€, 191.7) r-l 0-3
D: 6’0.8â€, 201.5 (6’1â€, 198.4) r-l 3-4
F: 5’11.2â€, 189.6 (5’11.2â€, 189.1) r-l 3-10

Leaf Lander - Toronto Maple Leafs
Wayne Gretzky - 6’0â€, 185
Nicklas Lidstrom - 6’2â€, 185
Chris Chelios – 6’1â€, 190 r
Henri Richard – 5’7â€, 160 r
Turk Broda - 5’9â€, 180
Pavel Bure – 5’10â€, 189
Guy Carbonneau - 5’11, 186 r
Jerome Iginla - 6'1", 207 r
Ed Jovanovski - 6’2â€, 210
Bill Barber – 6’0â€, 195
Paul Kariya – 5’11â€, 180
Gary Roberts - 6'1", 190
Hap Day - 5’11â€, 175
Tom Barrasso – 6’3â€, 211 r
Hooley Smith – 5’10â€, 155 r
Todd Bertuzzi – 6’3â€, 224
Alex Connell – 5’9â€, 150 r
Nikolai Sologubov – 5’10â€, 176
Bobby Baun – 5’9â€, 182 r
Hap Day, coach
Tumba Johansson – 6’2â€, 191
Mike Foligno – 6’2â€, 195 r
Frantisek Pospisil – 5’11â€, 198
Charlie Simmer – 6’3â€, 210

G: 6’0â€, 195.5 (5’11â€, 180.3) r-l 2-1
D: 5’11.8â€, 186.3 (5’11.7â€, 188) r-l 2-5
F: 5’11.8â€, 188.1 (6’0.1â€, 189.8) r-l 5-8

go kim johnsson 514 - Hartford Whalers
Jean Beliveau – 6’3â€, 205
Steve Yzerman - 5’11â€, 185 r
Marcel Dionne - 5’9â€, 190 r
Tony Esposito - 5’11â€, 185 r
Rod Langway – 6’3â€, 218
Rob Blake - 6’4â€, 227 r
Doug Wilson – 6’1â€, 187
Alexander Maltsev - 5’9â€, 174
Steve Shutt – 5’11â€, 185
Scotty Bowman, coach
Joe Nieuwendyk - 6’1â€, 205
Markus Naslund – 5’11â€, 195
Doug Jarvis – 5’9â€, 170
Mats Naslund - 5’7â€, 170
Ulf Samuelsson – 6’1â€, 205
Derian Hatcher – 6’5â€, 230
Reggie Leach – 6’0â€, 180 r
Hakan Loob – 5’9â€, 170 r
Doug Weight – 5’11â€, 200
Mattias Norstrom – 6’2â€, 210
John Vanbiesbrouck – 5’8â€, 176
Owen Nolan – 6’1â€, 215 r
Petr Svoboda – 6’1â€, 180
Sean Burke – 6’4â€, 211

G: 5’9.5â€, 180.5 (5’11.7â€, 190.7) r-l 1-2
D: 6’2.7â€, 212.8 (6’2.4â€, 208.1) r-l 1-6
F: 5’10.6â€, 185.8 (5’10.8â€, 188) r-l 5-8

Evil Sather - New York Rangers
Mark Messier - 6’1â€, 205
Bryan Trottier – 5’11â€, 195
Bernie Parent - 5’10â€, 180
Borje Salming – 6’1â€, 193
Chris Pronger - 6’6â€, 220
Cam Neely - 6’1â€, 218 r
Brendan Shanahan - 6’3â€, 218 r
Brian Propp – 5’10â€, 195
Ed Belfour - 5’11â€, 192
Sergei Zubov - 6’1â€, 200 r
Rod Gilbert – 5’9â€, 180 r
Ching Johnson – 5’11â€, 210
Don Luce - 6'2", 185
Peter Bondra - 6’1â€, 205
Brad McCrimmon - 5’11â€, 197
Reijo Ruotsalainen – 5’8â€, 170 r
Dany Heatley – 6’3â€, 215
Craig MacTavish – 6’1â€, 195
Ken Morrow – 6’4â€, 210 r
Dirk Graham – 5’11â€, 198 r
Mike Liut – 6’2â€, 195
Edgar Laprade – 5’8â€, 160 r
Mike Keenan, coach
Kevin Dineen – 5’11â€, 195 r

G: 5’10.5â€, 186 (5’11.7â€, 189) r-l 0-3
D: 6’0.3â€, 198.3 (6’0.9â€, 200) r-l 3-4
F: 6’0.1â€, 197.4 (6’0â€, 197.2) r-l 6-7

Hockey Outsider - Montreal Canadiens
Maurice Richard - 5’10â€, 170
Glenn Hall – 5’11â€, 180
Pierre Pilote - 5’10â€, 178
Scott Stevens - 6’1â€, 215
Newsy Lalonde - 5’9â€, 168 r
Nels Stewart – 6’1â€, 195
Teeder Kennedy - 5’10â€, 180 r
Bill Quackenbush - 5'11", 190
Clark Gillies – 6’3â€, 215
Sweeney Schriner – 6’0â€, 185
Zdeno Chara – 6’9â€, 255
Mark Recchi – 5’10â€, 185
Michael Peca – 5’11â€, 181 r
Claude Lemieux - 6’1â€, 215
Woody Dumart - 6'1", 200
Al Arbour, coach
Gump Worsley – 5’7â€, 180
Stefan Persson – 6’1â€, 189
Sergei Gonchar - 6’2â€, 212
Vincent Damphousse – 6’1â€, 191
Steve Thomas – 5’11â€, 185
Ken Daneyko – 6’1â€, 215
Lorne Chabot – 6’1â€, 185
Anton Stastny – 6’0â€, 188

G: 5’9â€, 180 (5’10.3â€, 181.7) r-l 0-3
D: 6’1.7â€, 206.5 (6’1.6â€, 207.7) r-l 0-7
F: 5’11.7â€, 189.2 (5’11.7â€, 189.1) r-l 3-10

reckoning- Ottawa 67s
Eddie Shore – 5’11â€, 190 r
Howie Morenz – 5’9â€, 165
Billy Smith – 5’10â€, 185
Bernie Geoffrion - 5’9â€, 166 r
Bill Gadsby – 6’0â€, 185
Jean Ratelle - 6’1â€, 180
Harry Howell - 6’1â€, 195
Adam Oates – 5’11â€, 180 r
Patrick Elias – 6’1â€, 200
Bert Olmstead - 6'2", 183
Pat Stapleton – 5’8â€, 185
Bryan Hextall Sr. – 5’10â€, 180
George Hainsworth - 5’6â€, 150
Rick Martin – 5’11â€, 179
Rick Vaive – 6’1â€, 198 r
Terry Harper – 6’1â€, 197 r
Marty Pavelich – 5’10â€, 170
Steve Duchesne – 5’11â€, 195
Walt Tkaczuk – 6’0â€, 190
Ed Westfall – 6’1â€, 197 r
Jacques Demers, coach
Sid Smith – 5’10â€, 177
Kevin Hatcher – 6’4â€, 225 r
Glenn Resch – 5’9â€, 165

G: 5’8â€, 167.5 (5’8.3â€, 166.7) r-l 0-3
D: 5’11.3â€, 191.2 (6’0â€, 196) r-l 3-4
F: 5’11.5â€, 182.3 (5’11.4â€, 181.9) r-l 4-9

Murphy2 - Alberta Oilers
Bobby Orr – 6’0â€, 197
Paul Coffey - 6’0â€, 195
Gilbert Perreault - 6’1â€, 180
Grant Fuhr - 5’10â€, 201 r
Bob Gainey – 6’2â€, 200
Dale Hawerchuk – 5’11â€, 190
Yvan Cournoyer – 5’7â€, 178
Darryl Sittler - 6’0â€, 190
Michel Goulet - 6’1â€, 195
Marcel Pronovost - 6'0", 190
Terry O'Reilly - 6’1â€, 200 r
Rick Middleton – 5’11â€, 170 r
Kevin Lowe - 6’2â€, 200
Wendel Clark – 5’11â€, 194
John Madden – 5’11â€, 190
Alexander Ragulin – 6’1â€, 220
Vladimir Lutchenko – 6’1â€, 205
Ilya Kovalchuk – 6’2â€, 220 r
Mike Richter – 5’11â€, 187
Harry "Punch" Broadbent – 5’7â€, 183 r
Brian Sutter – 5’11â€, 173
Barry Beck – 6’3â€, 216
Roberto Luongo – 6’3â€, 205
Ted Nolan, coach

G: 5’10.5â€, 194 (6’0â€, 197.7) r-l 1-2
D: 6’0.7â€, 201.2 (6’1â€, 203.3) r-l 0-7
F: 5’11.4â€, 190.8 (5’11.4â€, 189.5) r-l 4-9

AG - Saskatoon Blues
Guy Lafleur - 6’0â€, 185 r
Martin Brodeur – 6’2â€, 205
Larry Robinson – 6’4â€, 225
Ron Francis - 6’3â€, 200
Guy Lapointe - 6’0â€, 205
Mike Gartner - 6’0â€, 187 r
Doug Gilmour - 5’11â€, 175
Phil Housley - 5’10â€, 185
Mike Modano - 6’3â€, 205
Glenn Anderson – 6’1â€, 190
Allan Stanley - 6’1â€, 170
Pat Verbeek – 5’9â€, 192 r
John Leclair – 6’3â€, 226
Bernie Federko – 6’0â€, 178
Al Iafrate – 6’3â€, 235
Pierre Turgeon – 6’1â€, 199
Bobby Bauer – 5’6â€, 160 r
Kirk Muller – 6’0â€, 205
Curtis Joseph – 5’11â€, 190
Luke Richardson – 6’4â€, 210
Pat Burns, coach
Eric Staal – 6’3â€, 200
Bill Randford – 5’10â€, 170
Dion Phaneuf – 6’3â€, 213

G: 6’0.5â€, 197.5 (5’11.7â€, 188.3) r-l 0-3
D: 6’1.7â€, 205 (6’1.9â€, 206.1) r-l 0-7
F: 6’0.1â€, 191.8 (6’0.3â€, 192.5) r-l 4-9

murray - St. Catherines Teepees
Bobby Hull – 5’10â€, 195
Milt Schmidt – 6’0â€, 185
Max Bentley – 5’10â€, 155
Dit Clapper - 6’2â€, 195 r
Andy Bathgate – 6’0â€, 180 r
Doug Bentley – 5’8â€, 145
Alex Delvecchio - 6’0†195
Chuck Gardiner - 6'0", 176 r
Walter "Babe" Pratt - 6’3â€, 212
Lionel Conacher – 6’2â€, 195
Anders Hedberg – 5’11â€, 175 r
Eddie Litzenberger – 6’3â€, 174 r
Ulf Nilsson – 5’11â€, 175 r
Bill Mosienko – 5’8â€, 160 r
Lars Erik Sjoberg – 5’8â€, 179
Dean Prentice – 5’11â€, 180
Moose Vasko – 6’3â€, 220
Gus Mortson – 5’11â€, 190
Paul Thompson – 5’11â€, 180
Tommy Ivan, coach
Al Rollins – 6’2â€, 175
Roger Crozier – 5’8â€, 140 r
Tod Sloan – 5’10â€, 175 r
Bob Goldham – 6’1â€, 195 r

G: 6’1â€, 175.5 (5’11.3â€, 163.7) r-l 2-1
D: 6’0.8â€, 198.5 (6’0.9â€, 198) r-l 2-5
F: 5’10.9â€, 174.9 (5’10.8â€, 174.9) r-l 6-7

God Bless Canada - Trail Smoke Eaters
Doug Harvey – 5’11â€, 187
Bobby Clarke – 5’10â€, 185
Bill Durnan – 6’0â€, 190 r
Cyclone Taylor - 5'8", 165
King Clancy – 5’7â€, 155
Sid Abel – 5’11â€, 170
Cecil "Babe" Dye – 5’8â€, 180 r
Busher Jackson – 5’11â€, 195
Denis Savard – 5’10â€, 175 r
Carl Brewer – 5’9â€, 180
Theo Fleury – 5’6â€, 180 r
Steve Larmer – 5’11â€, 195
Esa Tikkanen – 6’1â€, 190
Harry Cameron – 5’10â€, 155 r
Kevin Stevens - 6’3â€, 230
Joel Otto – 6’4â€, 220 r
Kent Nilsson – 6’1â€, 195
Fern Flaman – 5’10â€, 190 r
Rogie Vachon – 5’7â€, 170
Bobby Smith – 6’4â€, 210
Harry Sinden, coach
Andy Moog – 5’8â€, 175
Ace Bailey – 5’10â€, 160 r
Sylvio Mantha – 5’10â€, 178 r

G: 5’9.5â€, 180 (5’9â€, 178.3) r-l 1-2
D: 5’9.2â€, 172 (5’9.3â€, 172.9) r-l 3-4
F: 5’11.7â€, 193.8 (5’11.5â€, 191.2) r-l 5-8

raleh - springfield Indians
Phil Esposito – 6’1â€, 205
Ted Lindsay – 5’8â€, 163
Tim Horton - 5’10â€, 180 r
Vladislav Tretiak - 6’1â€, 202
Serge Savard - 6’3â€, 210
Elmer Lach - 5’10â€, 165
Tom Johnson – 6’0â€, 180
Alexander Yakushev – 6’3â€, 198
Lanny McDonald – 6’0â€, 185 r
Red Horner - 6’0â€, 190 r
George Armstrong – 6’1â€, 184 r
Wayne Cashman – 6’1â€, 208 r
Buddy O'Connor – 5’7â€, 145
Eric Desjardins - 6’1â€, 200 r
Fred Shero, coach
Ken Hodge – 6’2â€, 210 r
Tiger Williams – 5’11â€, 190
Bob Probert – 6’3â€, 225
Doug Risebrough – 5’11â€, 180
Bill Barilko – 5’11â€, 180 r
George Vezina – 5’6â€, 185
Pete Mahovlich – 6’5â€, 210
Reed Larson – 6’0â€, 195 r
Hugh Lehman – 5’8â€, 168

G: 5’9.5â€, 193.5 (5’9â€, 185) r-l 0-3
D: 6’0.2â€, 190 (6’0.1â€, 190.7) r-l 5-2
F: 5’11.8â€, 188.2 (6’0.2â€, 189.8) r-l 4-9

Hedberg - Manitoba Moose
Patrick Roy - 6’0â€, 192
Valeri Kharlamov - 5’8â€, 165
Jari Kurri - 6’1â€, 195 r
Scott Niedermayer – 6’1â€, 200
Joe Malone – 5’10â€, 150
Luc Robitaille - 6’1â€, 215
Sprague Cleghorn – 5’10â€, 190
Mats Sundin - 6’4â€, 228 r
Adam Foote – 6’1â€, 212 r
Jacques Lemaire - 5’10â€, 180
Alexander Mogilny - 5’11â€, 200
Dale Hunter – 5’10â€, 198
Jan Suchy – 5’8â€, 161
Dave Andreychuk - 6’4â€, 220 r
Stan Smyl – 5’8â€, 185 r
Ron Ellis – 5’9â€, 195 r
Ken Linseman - 5’11â€, 180
Mike Vernon – 5’9â€, 180
Teppo Numminen – 6’1â€, 195 r
Pat Quinn, coach
Brian Engblom – 6’2â€, 200
Mattias Ohlund – 6’2â€, 220
Arturs Irbe – 5’8â€, 190
Adam Graves – 6’0â€, 205

G: 5’10.5â€, 186 (5’9.7â€, 187.3) r-l 0-3
D: 5’11.8â€, 193 (6’0.1â€, 196.9) r-l 2-5
F: 5’11.2â€, 192.6 (5’11.3â€, 193.5) r-l 5-8

jtuzzi -Minnesota North Stars
Mike Bossy – 6’0â€, 186 r
Terry Sawchuk – 5’11â€, 195
Brett Hull - 5’11â€, 203 r
Brian Leetch – 6’1â€, 190
Peter Stastny - 6’1â€, 200
Larry Murphy - 6’2â€, 210
Valeri Vasiliev - 5’11â€, 187
Pat Lafontaine – 5’10â€, 182 r
Dave Keon – 5’9â€, 165
Gary Suter - 6’0â€, 205
Tim Kerr – 6’3â€, 230 r
Dino Ciccarelli – 5’10â€, 185 r
Kenny Reardon – 5’10â€, 180
Syd Howe – 5’9â€, 165
Rick MacLeish – 5’11â€, 185
Trevor Linden – 6’4â€, 220 r
Craig Ludwig – 6’3â€, 220
John Ferguson – 5’11â€, 190
Valeri Kamensky – 6’2â€, 198 r
Bob Johnson, coach
Ed Giacomin – 5’11â€, 180
Jiri Holik – 5’10â€, 183
Dave Babych – 6’2â€, 215
Ron Hextall – 6’3â€, 192

G: 5’11â€, 187.5 (6’0.3â€, 189) r-l 0-3
D: 6’0.5â€, 198.7 (6’0.7â€, 201) r-l 0-7
F: 5’11.8â€, 192.4 (5’11.6â€, 191.7) r-l 7-6

kruezer - Seattle Metropolitans
Dominik Hasek – 5’11â€, 168
Denis Potvin – 6’0â€, 205
Frank Mahovlich – 6’0â€, 205
Peter Forsberg - 6’0â€, 205
Earl Seibert - 6’2â€, 198 r
Cy Denneny – 5’7â€, 168
Boris Mikhailov - 5’9â€, 169
Bill Cowley – 5’10â€, 165
Joe Primeau – 5’11â€, 153
Randy Carlyle - 5’10â€, 200
Anatoly Firsov - 5’9â€, 154 r
Vladimir Martinec – 5’8â€, 178
Leo Boivin - 5’8â€, 183
Dave Taylor - 6’0â€, 190 r
Vsevolod Bobrov – 5’11â€, 176 r
Brian Bellows – 5’11â€, 210 r
Rob Ramage - 6’2â€, 200 r
Pelle Lindbergh - 5’9â€, 165
Barclay Plager – 5’11â€cNab – 6’3â€, 210
Victor Kuzkin – 5’11â€, 194
Mikka Kiprusoff – 6’2â€, 190
Stan Jonathan – 5’8â€, 175

G: 5’10â€, 166.5 (5’11.3â€, 174.3) r-l 0-3
D: 5’11.5â€, 193.5 (5’11.4â€, 193.6) r-l 2-5
F: 5’10.6â€, 181.9 (5’10.4â€, 181.4) r-l 4-9

pnep - San Jose Sharks
Stan Mikita – 5’9â€, 169 r
Jaromir Jagr – 6’2â€, 230
Clint Benedict – 6’0â€, 165
Al MacInnis - 6’2â€, 209 r
Frank Boucher - 5’9â€, 185
John Bucyk – 6’0â€, 215
George Boucher – 5’9â€, 169
"Black Jack" Stewart - 5'10", 190
Johnny Bower - 5'11", 189
Gordie Drillon – 6’2â€, 178 r
Norm Ullman – 5’10â€, 175
Claude Provost - 5’9â€, 168 r
Ebbie Goodfellow – 6’0â€, 175
Joe Mullen – 5’9â€, 180 r
Roy Conacher – 6’2â€, 175
Dick Irvin, coach
Babe Siebert – 5’10â€, 200
Flash Hollett – 6’0â€, 180
Jeremy Roenick – 6’0â€, 192 r
Bill Guerin – 6’2â€, 210 r
Jim Thomson – 5’11, 175 r
Roy Worters – 5’3â€, 135
Bobby Rousseau – 5’10â€, 178 r
Larry Hillman – 6’0â€, 185

G: 5’11.5â€, 177 (5’8.7â€, 163) r-l 0-3
D: 5’11â€, 187.2 (5’11.1â€, 186.9) r-l 2-5
F: 5’11.5â€, 187.7 (5’11.4â€, 186.9) r-l 6-7

Goalie averages (with spares) shots
Wings: 6’1.5â€, 190 (6’1â€, 191.7) r-l 0-3
Teepees: 6’1â€, 175.5 (5’11.3â€, 163.7) r-l 2-1
Blues: 6’0.5â€, 197.5 (5’11.7â€, 188.3) r-l 0-3
Leafs: 6’0â€, 195.5 (5’11â€, 180.3) r-l 2-1
Devils: 5’11.5â€, 182.5 (5’11.3â€, 176.7) r-l 0-3
Sharks: 5’11.5â€, 177 (5’8.7â€, 163) r-l 0-3
Stars: 5’11â€, 187.5 (6’0.3â€, 189) r-l 0-3
Oilers: 5’10.5â€, 194 (6’0â€, 197.7) r-l 1-2
Rangers: 5’10.5â€, 186 (5’11.7â€, 189) r-l 0-3
Moose: 5’10.5â€, 186 (5’9.7â€, 187.3) r-l 0-3
Metropolitans: 5’10â€, 166.5 (5’11.3â€, 174.3) r-l 0-3
Indians: 5’9.5â€, 193.5 (5’9â€, 185) r-l 0-3
Whalers: 5’9.5â€, 180.5 (5’11.7â€, 190.7) r-l 1-2
Smoke: 5’9.5â€, 180 (5’9â€, 178.3) r-l 1-2
Aces: 5’9.5â€, 165 (5’9.7â€, 163.3) r-l 1-2
Canadiens: 5’9â€, 180 (5’10.3â€, 181.7) r-l 0-3
67s: 5’8â€, 167.5 (5’8.3â€, 166.7) r-l 0-3

Defense averages (with spares) shots
Whalers: 6’2.7â€, 212.8 (6’2.4â€, 208.1) r-l 1-6
Canadiens: 6’1.7â€, 206.5 (6’1.6â€, 207.7) r-l 0-7
Blues: 6’1.7â€, 205 (6’1.9â€, 206.1) r-l 0-7
Wings: 6’0.8â€, 201.5 (6’1â€, 198.4) r-l 3-4
Teepees: 6’0.8â€, 198.5 (6’0.9â€, 198) r-l 2-5
Oilers: 6’0.7â€, 201.2 (6’1â€, 203.3) r-l 0-7
Stars: 6’0.5â€, 198.7 (6’0.7â€, 201) r-l 0-7
Devils: 6’0.3â€, 201.5 (6’0.4â€, 198.4) r-l 1-6
Rangers: 6’0.3â€, 198.3 (6’0.9â€, 200) r-l 3-4
Indians: 6’0.2â€, 190 (6’0.1â€, 190.7) r-l 5-2
Aces: 6’0.2â€, 189.7 (6’0.3â€, 191.1) r-l 0-7
Moose: 5’11.8â€, 193 (6’0.1â€, 196.9) r-l 2-5
Leafs: 5’11.8â€, 186.3 (5’11.7â€, 188) r-l 2-5
Metropolitans: 5’11.5â€, 193.5 (5’11.4â€, 193.6) r-l 2-5
67s: 5’11.3â€, 191.2 (6’0â€, 196) r-l 3-4
Sharks: 5’11â€, 187.2 (5’11.1â€, 186.9) r-l 2-5
Smoke: 5’9.2â€, 172 (5’9.3â€, 172.9) r-l 3-4

Forwards averages (with spares) shots
Devils: 6’0.5â€, 198.3 (6’0.5â€, 198.3) r-l 7-6
Rangers: 6’0.1â€, 197.4 (6’0â€, 197.2) r-l 6-7
Blues: 6’0.1â€, 191.8 (6’0.3â€, 192.5) r-l 4-9
Stars: 5’11.8â€, 192.4 (5’11.6â€, 191.7) r-l 7-6
Indians: 5’11.8â€, 188.2 (6’0.2â€, 189.8) r-l 4-9
Leafs: 5’11.8â€, 188.1 (6’0.1â€, 189.8) r-l 5-8
Smoke: 5’11.7â€, 193.8 (5’11.5â€, 191.2) r-l 5-8
Canadiens: 5’11.7â€, 189.2 (5’11.7â€, 189.1) r-l 3-10
Sharks: 5’11.5â€, 187.7 (5’11.4â€, 186.9) r-l 6-7
67s: 5’11.5â€, 182.3 (5’11.4â€, 181.9) r-l 4-9
Oilers: 5’11.4â€, 190.8 (5’11.4â€, 189.5) r-l 4-9
Aces: 5’11.4â€, 187.1 (5’11.5â€, 187.7) r-l 5-8
Moose: 5’11.2â€, 192.6 (5’11.3â€, 193.5) r-l 5-8
Wings: 5’11.2â€, 189.6 (5’11.2â€, 189.1) r-l 3-10
Teepees: 5’10.9â€, 174.9 (5’10.8â€, 174.9) r-l 6-7
Whalers: 5’10.6â€, 185.8 (5’10.8â€, 188) r-l 5-8
Metropolitans: 5’10.6â€, 181.9 (5’10.4â€, 181.4) r-l 4-9

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Excellent compilation work, boss. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but there's no way I'd spend hours upon end, sitting in front of a computer and a calculator, tallying the average heights and weights for 17 teams, during the middle of the summer. So a definite tip of the cap.

I knew that my defence is small. I knew they'd be the smallest in the league. I didn't think they were THAT small, and that they'd be the smallest in the league by a healthy two inches and 13 pounds. I still like my defence, I love their tenacity, mobility and edge, but next time I will definitely be going for a couple bigger blue-liners. (I think that realization was reflected in my minor league team, with guys like McSorley and Smith. Macoun isn't big, but he would be the biggest defenceman on the TSE, and he was tough and even dirty).

It's hard to pick out any trends. murray and I both went with old-timers on defence (I have one defenceman who's still alive). Yet Murray was fifth in average defenceman size, I was 17th. Dit Clapper, Babe Pratt and Lionel Conacher certainly helped in that regard. murray was 15th in forward size with his veteran squad.

If there's one surprise, it's that the average goalie size was higher than the average defenceman size.

Last edited:

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
Excellent compilation work, boss. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but there's no way I'd spend hours upon end, sitting in front of a computer and a calculator, tallying the average heights and weights for 17 teams, during the middle of the summer. So a definite tip of the cap.

I knew that my defence is small. I knew they'd be the smallest in the league. I didn't think they were THAT small, and that they'd be the smallest in the league by a healthy two inches and 13 pounds. I still like my defence, I love their tenacity, mobility and edge, but next time I will definitely be going for a couple bigger blue-liners. (I think that realization was reflected in my minor league team, with guys like McSorley and Smith. Macoun isn't big, but he would be the biggest defenceman on the TSE, and he was tough and even dirty).

It's hard to pick out any trends. murray and I both went with old-timers on defence (I have one defenceman who's still alive). Yet Murray was fifth in average defenceman size, I was 17th. Dit Clapper, Babe Pratt and Lionel Conacher certainly helped in that regard. murray was 15th in forward size with his veteran squad.

If there's one surprise, it's that the average goalie size was higher than the average defenceman size.
GBC,

I actually like your defense despite their small size. I am surprised that some of these guys were that small. Players like Flaman & Brewer may not have been huge but they were tough. Harvey, of course, was not big but is arguably the best D man ever after Orr. My defense would have been somewhat smaller as I was poised to pick Brewer, Flaman, & Stapelton but was beaten to the punch.

My forwards were small primarily because of the pony Line. Mosienko, Bentley & Bentley. Never saw any of them play but love reading about their speed & ability.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
GBC,

I actually like your defense despite their small size. I am surprised that some of these guys were that small. Players like Flaman & Brewer may not have been huge but they were tough. Harvey, of course, was not big but is arguably the best D man ever after Orr. My defense would have been somewhat smaller as I was poised to pick Brewer, Flaman, & Stapelton but was beaten to the punch.

My forwards were small primarily because of the pony Line. Mosienko, Bentley & Bentley. Never saw any of them play but love reading about their speed & ability.
I've been meaning to tell you this, since you nabbed the Bentleys (both great picks for when you nabbed them, BTW). My grandma grew up watching the Bentley's play in Moose Jaw, and my great grandma was best friends with Doug and Max's sister. So I've heard all about their great play.

It's funny you mention Brewer. I was primed to pick Conacher, then I made the trade with Spitfire, and you nabbed him with the next pick. I'll take it as slight revenge that I snatched Brewer away from you. I think Conacher is horribly underrated, and I think it was a shame that it took so long for him to be inducted into the HHOF. (When he finally got inducted by the Veteran's Committee, many remarked that they thought he was already there).

I'm not complaining about the size of my defence, I'd rather have a smaller defenceman like Clancy, who was double-tough and played big (he once said "shoulder pads are for boys), than a bigger defenceman who played small. Defence was a priority from the outset, that's why I picked three defencemen with my first five picks. (And three in the first four rounds in the minor league draft). It just would have been nice to have a big, skilled, physical defenceman.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Some goalie numbers to consider. NHL only.

Player - RSGP - POGP - RSW - POW - RSW% - POW% - Dif - RSGAA - POGAA - Dif – Cups
Brimsek – 514 _ 68 _ 252 _ 32 _ .568 _ .471 _ -.097 _ 2.70 _ 2.54 _ -0.16 _ 2
Thompson - 553 _ 44 _ 284 _ 20 _ .581 _ .455 _ -.126 _ 2.08 _ 1.88 _ -0.20 _ 1
Kerr – 427 _ 40 _ 203 _ 18 _ .565 _ .488 _ -.077 _ 2.15 _1.74 _ -0.41 _ 1
Plante - 837 _ 112 _ 435 _ 71 _ .614 _ .664 _ +.050 _ 2.38 _ 2.14 _ -0.24 _ 6
Rayner – 424 _ 18 _ 138 _ 9 _ .417 _ .500 _ +.083 _ 3.05 _ 2.43 _ -0.62 _ 0
Dryden - 397 _ 112 _ 258 _ 80 _ .758 _ .714 _ -.044 _ 2.24 _ 2.40 _ +0.16 _ 6
Cheevers - 418 _ 88 _ 230 _ 53 _ .658 _ .609 _ -.059 _ 2.89 _ 2.69 _ -0.20 _ 2
Lumley – 804 _ 76 _ 330 _ 29 _ .501 _ .382 _ -.119 _ 2.76 _ 2.50 _ -0.26 _ 1
Broda - 629 _ 101 _ 302 _ 60 _ .562 _ .606 _ +.044 _ 2.53 _ 1.98 _ -0.55 _ 5
Barrasso – 777 _ 119 _ 369 _ 61 _ .563 _ .530 _ -.033 _ 3.24 _ 3.01 _ -0.23 _ 2
Connell – 417 _ 21 _ 193 _ 8 _ .544 _ .571 _ +.027 _ 1.91 _ 1.19 _ -0.72 _ 2
Esposito - 886 _ 99 _ 423 _ 45 _ .566 _ .459 _ -.107 _ 2.92 _ 3.07 _ +0.15 _ 0/1
Vanbiesbrouck – 882 _ 71 _ 374 _ 28 _ .517 _ .424 _ -.093 _ 2.98 _ 2.68 _ -0.30 _ 0
Burke – 797 _ 38 _ 318 _ 12 _ .491 _ .343 _ -148 _ 2.95 _ 3.31 _ +0.36 _ 0
Parent - 608 _ 71 _ 271 _ 38 _ .562 _ .535 _ -.027 _ 2.55 _ 2.43 _ -0.12 _ 2
Belfour - 904 _ 161 _ 457 _ 88 _ .588 _ .564 _ -.024 _ 2.48 _ 2.17 _ -0.31 _ 1
Liut – 664 _ 67 _ 294 _ 29 _ .518 _ .475 _ -.043 _ 3.49 _ 3.38 _ -0.11 _ 0
Hall - 906 _ 115 _ 407 _ 49 _ .545 _ .430 _ -.115 _ 2.49 _ 2.78 _ +0.29 _ 1
Worsley – 861 _ 70 _ 335 _ 40 _ .490 _ .606 _ +.116 _ 2.88 _ 2.78 _ -0.10 _ 4
Chabot – 411 _ 37 _ 201 _ 13 _ .564 _ .444 _ -.120 _ 2.04 _ 1.54 _ -0.50 _ 2
Smith - 680 _ 132 _ 305 _ 88 _ .556 _ .710 _ +.154 _ 3.17 _ 2.73 _ -0.44 _ 4
Hainsworth - 465 _ 52 _ 246 _ 22 _ .609 _ .471 _ -.138 _ 1.93 _ 1.93 _ 0.00 _ 2
Resch – 571 _ 41 _ 231 _ 17 _ .507 _ .500 _ -.007 _ 3.27 _ 2.50 _ -0.77 _ 1
Fuhr - 868 _ 150 _ 403 _ 92 _ .567 _ .648 _ +.081 _ 3.38 _ 2.92 _ -0.46 _ 4/5
Richter - 666 _ 76 _ 301 _ 41 _ .534 _ .554 _ +.020 _ 2.89 _ 2.68 _ -0.21 _ 1
Luongo – 341 _ 6 _ 115 _ 3_ .418 _ .500 _ +.082 _ 2.72 _ 3.01 _ +0.29 _ 0
Brodeur – 813 _ 153 _ 446 _ 89 _ .629 _ .582 _ -.047 _ 2.21 _ 1.89 _ -0.32 _ 3
Joseph – 858 _ 131 _ 428 _ 62 _ .571 _ .484 _ -.087 _ 2.76 _ 2.44 _ -0.32 _ 0
Ranford – 647 _ 53 _ 240 _ 28 _ .467 _ .528 _ +061 _ 3.41 _ 3.07 _ -0.34 _ 2
Gardiner – 316 _ 21 _ 112 _ 12 _ .437 _ .643 _ +.206 _ 2.02 _ 1.43 _ -0.59 _ 1
Rollins – 430 _ 13 _ 141 _ 6 _ .425 _ .462 _ +.037 _ 2.78 _ 2.38 _ -0.40_ 1
Crozier – 518 _ 32 _ 206 _ 14 _ .510 _ .467 _ -.043 _ 3.04 _ 2.75 _ -0.29 _ 0
Durnan - 383 _ 45 _ 208 _ 27 _ .626 _ .600 _ -.026 _ 2.36 _ 2.07 _ -0.29 _ 2
Vachon – 795 _ 48 _ 355 _ 23 _ .541 _ .500 _ -.041 _ 2.99 _ 2.77 _ -0.22 _ 3
Moog – 713 _ 132 _ 372 _ 68 _ .622 _ .544 _ -.078 _ 3.13 _3.04 _ -0.09 _ 3
Vezina* - 190 _ 26 _ 103 _ 16 _ .558 _ .654 _ +.096 _ 3.28 _ 2.78 _ -0.50 _ 1(2**)
Lehman – 48 _ 2 _ 20 _ 0 _ .458 _ .250 _ -.208 _ 2.68 _ 5.00 _ +2.32 _ 0(1***)
Roy - 1029 _ 247 _ 551 _ 151 _ .618 _ .616 _ -.002 _ 2.54 _ 2.30 _ -0.24 _ 4
Vernon - 781 _ 138 _ 385 _ 77 _ .575 _ .579 _ +.004 _ 2.98 _ 2.68 _ -0.30 _ 2
Irbe – 568 _ 51 _ 218 _ 23 _ .483 _ .460 _ -.023 _ 2.83 _ 2.86 _ +0.03 _ 0
Sawchuck - 972 _ 106 _ 446 _ 54 _ .560 _ .529 _ -.031 _ 2.51 _ 2.54 _ +0.03 _ 4
Giacomin – 610 _ 65 _ 289 _ 29 _ .568 _ .453 _ -.115 _ 2.82 _ 2.81 _ -0.01 _ 0
Hextall – 608 _ 93 _ 296 _ 47 _ .571 _ .522 _ -.049 _ 2.97 _ 3.04 _ +0.07 _ 0
Hasek - 638 _ 97 _ 324 _ 53 _ .600 _ .576 _ -.024 _ 2.22 _ 2.03 _ -0.19 _ 1
Lindbergh - 157 _ 23 _ 87 _ 12 _ .626 _ .545 _ -.081 _ 3.30 _ 3.11 _ -0.19 _ 0
Kiprusoff – 159 _ 37 _ 80 _ 19 _ .597 _ .543 _ -.054 _ 2.18 _ 1.93 _ -0.25 _ 0
Benedict* – 3620 _ 48 _ 191 _ 26 _ .568 _ .598 _ +.030 _ 2.30 _ 1.80 _ -0.50 _ 4
Bower - 552 _ 74 _ 250 _ 35 _ .551 _ .507 _ -.044 _ 2.51 _ 2.47 _ -0.04 _ 4
Worters - 484 _ 11 _ 171 _ 3 _ .440 _ .364 _ -.076 _ 2.27 _ 2.09 _ -0.18 _ 0

Fuhr/Esposito both won Cups without playing in that years playoffs
*Includes Stanley Cup Playoff Round in Playoff totals
** Won Cup while playing in NHA
*** Won Cup while playing in PCHA

Player – GAADif
1. Resch –0.77
2. Connell -0.72
3. Rayner –0.62
4. Gardiner -0.59
5. Broda -0.55
6. Benedict -0.50
6. Chabot -0.50
6. Vezina -0.50
9. Fuhr -0.46
10. Smith -0.44
11. Kerr -0.41
12. Rollins –0.40
13. Ranford –0.34
14. Joseph -0.32
15. Belfour -0.31
16. Brodeur -0.30
16. Vanbiesbrouck -0.30
16. Vernon -0.30
19. Crozier –0.29
19. Durnan -0.29
21. Lumley -0.26
22. Kiprusoff –0.25
23. Plante -0.24
23. Roy -0.24
25. Barrasso -0.23
26. Vachon -0.22
27. Richter -0.21
28. Cheevers -0.20
28. Thompson -0.20
30. Hasek –0.19
30. Lindbergh -0.19
32. Worters -0.18
33, Brimsek -0.16
34. Parent -0.12
35. Liut –0.11
36. Worsley -0.10
37. Moog -0.09
38. Bower -0.04
39. Giacomin -0.01
40. Hainsworth 0.00
41. Irbe +0.03
41. Sawchuk +0.03
43. Hextall +0.07
44. Esposito +0.15
45. Dryden +0.16
46. Hall +0.29
46. Luongo +0.29
48. Burke +0.36
49. Lehman +2.32

Player - W%Dif
1. Gardiner +.206
2. Smith +.154
3. Worsley +.116
4. Vezina +.096
5. Rayner +.083
6. Luongo +.082
7. Fuhr +.081
8. Ranford +.061
9. Plante +.050
10. Broda +.044
11. Rollins +.037
12. Benedict +.030
13. Connell +.027
14. Richter +.020
15. Vernon +.004
16. Roy -.002
17. Resch -.007
18. Irbe -.023
19. Belfour -.024
19. Hasek -.024
21. Durnan -.026
22. Parent -.027
23. Sawchuk -.031
24. Barrasso -.033
25. Vachon -.041
26. Crozier -.043
26. Liut -.043
28. Bower -.044
28. Dryden -.044
30. Brodeur -.047
31. Hextall -.049
32. Kiprusoff –.054
33. Cheevers -.059
34. Worters -.076
35. Kerr -.077
36. Moog -.078
37. Lindbergh -.081
38. Joseph -.087
39. Vanbiesbrouck -.093
40. Brimsek -.097
41. Esposito -.107
42. Giacomin -.115
42. Hall -.115
44. Lumley -.119
45. Chabot -.120
46. Thompson -.126
47. Hainsworth -.138
48. Burke -.148
49. Lehman -.208

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
when do u guys wnat to do Draft 6 ?

oct?
The Trail Smoke Eaters will definitely be back for All-Time Draft #6. Most fun I've had on HF Boards. Always nice to put my knowledge to the test against the best.

I think late September/early October would be a reasonable starting time. Even with a record number of GMs, we were done in two months, which I believe was record time. You don't want to leave it too late, and then run into the December rush, with Christmas shopping, Christmas parties, friends and family visiting, and travelling. If we start it in late September, and have the same GMs, or news GMs with similar commitment, we can be done before the Christmas rush.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
I'm good for anytime in September. Like GBG says, its the most fun here by far.

I'm going to start researching now. lol

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I would be down with Late September/Early October, things are gonna be a little hectic for me for a bit here, but by then I should be settled.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I'm definitely looking forward to the next draft. Mid-September would be ideal for me, but I'll be in regardless of when it starts.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
I'd definitely be interested..

I go back to school in September but can always find time for hockey drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad