All-Time Draft #5

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Gentlemen,

I just want to take this time to thank/commend all of you for your efforts during this all-time draft. We've managed to complete it in roughly two months (first pick was made April 5). To BM, LL and Spit, you run a very tight ship. It's good to know that I'll usually have, at the most, a four or five day wait during picks. It's been a pleasure matching wits/knowledge of the game's history with some of HF Boards' finest, and easily the most enjoyable experience I've had in two years on HF Boards.

When will we start the farm draft? And when will we determine the draft order?

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
God Bless Canada said:
Gentlemen,

I just want to take this time to thank/commend all of you for your efforts during this all-time draft. We've managed to complete it in roughly two months (first pick was made April 5). To BM, LL and Spit, you run a very tight ship. It's good to know that I'll usually have, at the most, a four or five day wait during picks. It's been a pleasure matching wits/knowledge of the game's history with some of HF Boards' finest, and easily the most enjoyable experience I've had in two years on HF Boards.

I guess the question is if we would want to start it before the NHL Entry Draft. That's probably the peak traffic time here, but of course waiting for then would move us more into vacation/summer time, which would cause it's own problems.

Here are the guys that said they would be interested:
God Bless Canada
jtuzzi
Murphy2
Leaf Lander
Hedberg
BM67
raleh
Spitfire11
reckoning

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The Montreal Canadiens are pleased to select RW Anton Stastny, a skilled, creative forward who will be useful on the powerplay.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
God Bless Canada said:
Gentlemen,

I'd like to echo this sentiment, this was the best All Time draft yet, and I wish I had the time to participate in the minor league draft again this time around, but I think I will sit this one out and hopefully be back again in the next All Time draft if you all will have me again.

Also, is anybody going to rate how these teams turned out in any official sort of way? Should we get some voting about it going on?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
kruezer said:
I'd like to echo this sentiment, this was the best All Time draft yet, and I wish I had the time to participate in the minor league draft again this time around, but I think I will sit this one out and hopefully be back again in the next All Time draft if you all will have me again.

Also, is anybody going to rate how these teams turned out in any official sort of way? Should we get some voting about it going on?
I'm going to send out a strengths/weaknesses of my team tomorrow. I'll also be noting my steals and players picked too soon. I'd be willing to do this for any other team who want my honest praise or critiques. I also plan on issuing lists for the entire draft of the biggest steals, as well as the players who went way too early. (Clint Benedict and Ed Jovanovski are in a dead heat for the latter).

Zetterberg4Captain*

He was picked 379th overall last time and he has played more now. My seventh Dman will be Dion Phaneuf.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
God Bless Canada said:
I'm going to send out a strengths/weaknesses of my team tomorrow. I'll also be noting my steals and players picked too soon. I'd be willing to do this for any other team who want my honest praise or critiques. I also plan on issuing lists for the entire draft of the biggest steals, as well as the players who went way too early. (Clint Benedict and Ed Jovanovski are in a dead heat for the latter).
Excellent, I would definetaly like to hear your views on my team, it would be good to have an outside perspective, since I built this team much differently than the previous drafts I've been in.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
God Bless Canada said:
I'd be open to some critique of my team.

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
:leafs Select Power Forward

Charlie Simmer,LW

For a man of his size, he had a surprising, powerful burst in his stride. A resilient power forward and talented sniper, Charlie Simmer scored 342 times in 712 regular-season games. Charlie was part of the Triple Crown Line along with Marcel Dionne and Dave Taylor, one of the best NHL lines in hockey history and it was respected by every NHL opponent.

In his first full season he scored over 40 goals a feat that woudl keep him emplyed for rest of the 1980's decade.

That year Simmer also scored at least one goal in each of 13 straight games to become the first player to threaten Punch Broadbent's record of 16 that dated back over five decades. After the season, he was named to the NHL's First All-Star Team.

The year he yallied a 56-goal output he suffered a devastating compound fracture of his leg, toward the end of the season during a game at Maple Leaf Gardens. His regular-season excellence still garnered him a spot on the NHL First All-Star Team for the second year running.

He was traded to a defensive Boston Bruins club where he continued to score over a point a game clip.He inccured numerous injuries which hammpered his game but not his greatness.He over came injuries to win The Masterton Trophy

He had two 50 goal season and one 40 goal season.

Simmer also just missed being a 50 goal man in 50 games by scoring 50 goals in 51 games. Charlie Simmer had established himself as one of the most prolific scorers of his time

Charlie still ranks eighth on the Kings’ all-time leading scorers list with 222-224-466 totals in 384 games.

Last edited:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Smoke Eaters evaluation.

Strengths:
*Winning attitude. Only one player on the team, Fernie Flaman, doesn't have a Stanley Cup ring. The players combined to win 49 Cups during their playing careers, and the coach brings the team total to 50.
*Flexibility. Many of the players on the team are capable of playing more than one position - Tikannen, Otto, Abel, Smith, Taylor - and others are capable of filling multiple roles.
*Defence. Believing that defence wins championships, a concerted effort was made to focus on the back end, and to draft well-rounded forwards. The result: a goalie with six first-team all-star selections in eight years, two of the winningest eligible goalies in the HHOF, six Hall-of-Fame defencemen and another defenceman who's one of the best not in the Hall, and several scoring forwards who don't need a road map to the defensive zone.

Weaknesses:
*Size. There's plenty of players willing to get physically involved. The problem is, players like Clarke, Fleury, Larmer, Clancy and Flaman weren't known for their size. Will they be able to consistently play their style against larger opponents? Even the goalies are small.
*Goal scoring. Yes, there are plenty of Art Ross trophies and high-scoring seasons on the team, but this team wasn't exactly built to win games 6-5. They're an all-round, versatile bunch who prefer tough battles in the trenches and 3-2 contests.

Steals:
*King Clancy, 5th round, 80th overall
*Busher Jackson, 8th round, 125th overall
*Ace Bailey, 23rd round, 386th overall

Too soon:
*Cecil Babe Dye, 7th round, 114th overall
*Kent Nilsson, 17th round, 284th overall

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
Alberta Oilers Evaluation

I started out with Bobby Orr and with that pick I figured I'd put together the greatest defensive corps ever seen. My second pick with Coffey had me salivating at the prospect of those two playing together. By the time my third pick came, most of the truly elite defenseman were already scooped up and I was sweating not having a forward yet.

The plan after grabbing Perreault was to have the fastest team out there, but by the time my fourth pick came I started to panic a bit not having a goalie selected yet so I grabbed Fuhr. I was still sticking to the plan of having a real fast team until my eight pick when I selected Sittler, not a slouch by any means but not exactly a speedster.

From that point on I pretty much grabbed the best guy available until my 11th pick with O'Reilly. At that point my team was lacking grit after Gainey and I made a point selecting gritty guys after that.

I shake my head a bit because I pretty much always picked guys I've actually seen. I hummed and hawed a bit but the deciding factor most always ended up being guys I've seen. I probably could have put together a better team had I put more weight on the history books.

Strengths:
* Bobby Orr & Paul Coffey, While having Orr and Coffey together would be something else but it would have left my second pairing a little weak. Those two would man the powerplay though. No team as ever has two rushing defenseman of this caliber before so I can't really draw comparisons but I'd bet it would be an awesome sight and hard to defend.
*Flexible, like the Trail Smoke Eaters, I think my team is pretty adaptable, want to skate? I can do that with guys like Perreault, Cournoyer, Kovalchuk or Middleton. Want to play physical? I can do that also with Gainey, Clark and O'Reilly. Get in a shootout? Goulet, Sittler and Broadbent can score in bunches.
*Shutdown line, Gainey, Madden and O'Reilly would be pretty tough to break through. I think they'd be awesome protecting a lead. If only Outsider wouldn't have picked Peca just before me........ :madfire:

Weaknesses:
*Goaltending, hard to imagine Fuhr, Richter and Luongo as a weakness but compared to some in this draft they don't quite stack up.
*Lack of game breaker winger, My team needs a Howe, Richard, Lafleur or Hull on the wing. Not that I think mine are chopped liver but in an all-time draft I'm missing a truly great top 10 all-time winger.

Steals:
Punch Broadbent, 20th round, 332nd Overall - The man lead the league in points and penalty mins in one season and owned a 16 game goal scoring streak record until Gretzky came along.

Yvan Cournoyer, 7th round, 111th Overall - I was pretty surprised one of the fastest guys ever, Conn Smyth winner and 10 time cup winner would fall out of the top 100

Darryl Sittler, 8th round, 128th Overall - I was surprised to see him fall out of top 100 also.

Too Soon:

Paul Coffey, 2nd round, 33rd Overall - He might have fallen but the temptation to have Orr and Coffey was to much.

Terry O'Reilly, 11th round, 179th Overall, A lot of better players went after him, might have dropped a few more rounds but I was looking to toughen up my team at this point.

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
The The New Jersey Devils are pleased to select the first defenseman credited with scoring a goal

Lester Patrick

As a player, he was one of the top rushing defensemen of his day and a team leader.

He returned to Montreal to play a year with the Westmount club before joining the powerful Montreal Wanderers in 1905-06. He was an instant success and helped his new club dethrone the Senators as Cup holders that same season. Patrick helped the Wanderers repeat as champions the next year. His exceptional passes benefited the likes of Ernie Russell and Cecil Blanchford.
- HHoF Bio

If anyone did more to advance the game of hockey than Lester Patrick, he must be hiding somewhere. And that is precisely why The Silver Fox and his contributions as a player have been overlooked by many talent appraisers.

It is fascinating to note that a number of Patrick's most glorious moments as a player occurred at a time when most observers figured him for washed-up. He decided to retire and concentrate on frnot office duties in Victoria in 1921, but a year later two defensemen on his Cougars' club were seriously injured so Lester retrieved his skates and took his position on right defense.

"From the start," one of his opponents commented, "he was a sensation."

The Cougars, who had not won a game in seven starts, won 19-5 and Patrick was never better. He personally won two games, scoring a goal to win an overtime game against the Saskatoon Sheiks and scoring the only goal in a 1-0 win over the Vancouver Maroons.
- The All-New Hockey's 100

"He was a perennial All-star rover and defender for 21 seasons... Patrick played in 205 top-level games during a career that spanned from 1904 to 1928. He captained eight clubs and was on the Cup-winning side as a player, coach, or GM six times." - Ultimate Hockey

"Born in Drummondville, Quebec, Patrick was one of the first true superstars of the game. As a rushing defenceman, he won Stanley Cups in 1906 and 1907 with the Montreal Wanderers. He was a pioneer—before Patrick, no defenceman ever regularly joined the offensive rushes and attempted to become a threat to the oppositions goalie. He grandfathered the role of offensive defenceman that would make the likes of Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey famous." - Oilers Heritage

and of course

[IMAGE]http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nhl/nyr/LesterPNYR.JPG[/IMAGE]

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
murray said:
GBC, surprised you missed this as you are usually very thorough but fern flaman did win a Stanley cup in 1951 with the Leafs.
Thanks murray. That's great to know. I can now proudly say that everyone on my team has won a Stanley Cup. (To any of the veteran GMs: has anyone ever assembled a team in which all of their players won a Stanley Cup?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad