All-Time Draft 2011 - now accepting applications

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
The All-Time Draft, the most prestigious of all drafts found on this board, is now accepting applications for the final two teams.

The ATD is in its 14th instalment and is now an annual event (as opposed to semi-annually) so if you pass on this one, you're waiting a while for the next.

The ATD is a fun, competitive, and educational endeavor started many years ago by some members from this section to appreciate the all-time greats. Your goal is to draft the best all-time team while keeping the usual roster-building idologies in mind. (i.e. draft players in their proper positions, consider toughness and defense, consider the importance of both passers and finishers, beware of focusing too much on one position at the expense of another, etc.)

The criteria for best all-time players are as you yourself see them, but keep in mind that you want to build a team to impress your fellow GMs. You should try to convince them to see things your way, while at the same time being flexible to the strongest arguments put forward by others. When drafting is complete, regular season standings are voted upon by all 40 teams, and playoffs begin. At voting time you get to apply your all-time criteria as you see them and give credit to the teams built the way you like. The playoffs is where it gets really fun as you compare every little aspect of your team to your opponent's, and hopefully convince more than half of the GMs that your team is the one that should advance. Eventually a winner is crowned!

We aren't just looking for know-it-alls, so don't be intimidated by the "all-star cast" that has signed up here. Knowledge of hockey history is not a prerequisite. Just be willing to learn. Yes, there is a competitive twist to this draft, but we are really just a very big hockey history study group whose members push eachother to research harder and analyze more efficiently. The ATD section is a goldmine of information already - take a look at previously profiled players, old draft lists, which players won out in past comparisons to others, and so on. With some cursory draft research, you can ice a competitive team on your first try. But don't rely too much on canon - you need to challenge convention too! We get closer to the truth every draft, but never quite there.

This year's draft is bound to be the best ever, with 40 teams and 25 rounds for a total of 1000 drafted players! All the usual suspects are there, plus a few familiar faces from the past, and the usual assortment of newbies.

Please see this section: http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=181

I always find it hard to come up with the perfect wording when describing the ATD. All I can add is, you won't regret joining. If any other ATD GMs have anything else to add or can explain it better than me, please do.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have been considering joining this for a while now; however, I have just started a new job and I am pretty busy. How much time do you think needs to be committed in order to at least be competitive?

Also, when a player's "weakness" is longevity (i.e. Bobby Orr) how does this factor in or is the ATD more focused on peak and prime?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I have been considering joining this for a while now; however, I have just started a new job and I am pretty busy. How much time do you think needs to be committed in order to at least be competitive?

Also, when a player's "weakness" is longevity (i.e. Bobby Orr) how does this factor in or is the ATD more focused on peak and prime?

I'm not going to lie and say it takes no time just to get you to join (though I'd love to have you there) - it does take some time. How much is really up to you. Bare minimum would be a few hours a week, as you'll definitely find yourself going back and forth between a few players before your selection, and inevitably you'll scramble when the guy you wanted gets taken. You'll also want to pay attention to the draft thread, see how the teams are coming along and see how some picks are received.

Putting together player bios is, for me, the biggest time consumer. In my peak (which was ATD2010, when I only had a pregnant wife and not a daughter), I was likely spending 20 hours a week on the draft, putting together incredibly detailed bios. I'm not in my prime now and I'll have to tone it down, but that's the absolute max a guy could spend on this thing.

To be a competitive, contributing GM, 3-5 hours a week is reasonable.

as for peak/prime vs. longevity - that's all up to you. Orr is generally the #1 pick, so peak seems to be a major consideration.

Last edited:

overpass

Jun 7, 2007

Factoring in longevity can be a challenge. I think it can be a benefit in that players with more longevity have better demonstrated the ability to adapt to changes in the game and are more likely to have played in different roles and situations over their career. So they are more likely to be able to adapt to the ATD. You could make the argument, for example, that Eric Lindros would have a harder time adapting than Steve Yzerman, even if they were equally good at their peak. And you could also use Yzerman in more roles.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

A few hours per draft selection, I'd say. Since there are 40 teams now, the amount of time between selections is going to be pretty high, you're probably only looking at a few hours per week.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm up for this hard core.

then go join!!

we just got our 40th, though I don't know the two newbies that well and don't know if they found it due to this thread or not. You should reach out and see if anyone new wants a co-GM. At least two experienced GMs are looking for one, too.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It's a trade-off. Bobby Orr is usually drafted first overall because of the value to a team of having such an elite defenseman when there are more elite centers.

Some of us are busy and would like co-GMs to share a team. Post your interest on the ATD subforum and we will offer to share teams with you.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
We have a new opening and are currently looking for one more team- so people who want to participate and run their own team can still do so if they hurry and grab the last spot.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Anyone who was considering joining and saw that we are now full, take note - we are NOT full! We have one spot open, thanks to two solo GMs teaming up.

Head on over and take that free spot while you can.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
ATD2011 is now going strong! We have 40 strong, competitive teams and we are through two rounds of selections already.

We have one longtime GM, arrbez, who is going to be working aborad for a month and would best be served by having a co-GM. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in this, to get their feet wet short-term and see what it's all about. And once arrbez is back to full capacity, you could fade into the background if you wanted, or keep strategizing with him and build a team.

arrbez is a great guy who's been to two ATD finals recently.

Send him a PM to offer, or post in the ATD thread that you are interested. He has posted a message there indicating his interest in having a co-GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad