All-Time Draft #10, Part 4

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
breaking news out of kenora...

as the all-time draft regular season nears, kenora management have heard the concerns regarding the potential locker-room tension with imlach at the helm.

kenora has every intention of maintaining imlach - four stanley cups, a winning record, and the ability to get the job done (despite controversies) is too strong a resume to send a coach packing.

therefore, to mend the situation, thistles management has decided to drop darren mccarty and place an assistant coach behind the bench with a motivational attitude and a strong rapport with the players on the thistles roster (particularly marcel dionne).

kenora fans, please welcome to the thistles coaching staff...

bob pulford -- assistant coach​

hockey hall of fame said:
Bob's coaching style was nurturing and supportive. "In the old days, motivation came from fear -- like Conn Smythe handing you a ticket to the minor leagues," he says, shaking his head. He learned things about coaching from Fred Shero, including training drills and philosophy, but it is surprising to discover that football coach George Allen, who was behind the bench for the Los Angeles Rams while Pulford was with the Kings, also assisted Bob. "Allen helped me a lot my first year in things like handling people, motivation and discipline. Those are things that are hard to get when players know their jobs are relatively safe. What I tried to do, and this is a thing Shero did, was always explain why I was asking something. Like, if I figured we needed a tough practice, I'd tell the players why I figured it. They're mature — they shouldn't just be told things without a reason."

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
What? McCarty was a good pick, if this draft was 20 years in the future no one would be questioning it. His playoff numbers are very good for a 4th liner and he comes up huge in the big games and unlike many 4th liners in this draft you don't have to skew his numbers down because they were put up when the player was getting top minutes. He adds toughness and can do a decent job checking, and he fills out the Grind line. You can't drop him, nooo.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
good move papershoes

What? McCarty was a good pick, if this draft was 20 years in the future no one would be questioning it. His playoff numbers are very good for a 4th liner and he comes up huge in the big games and unlike many 4th liners in this draft you don't have to skew his numbers down because they were put up when the player was getting top minutes. He adds toughness and can do a decent job checking, and he fills out the Grind line. You can't drop him, nooo.
says a diehard Red Wings fan

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
breaking news out of kenora...

as the all-time draft regular season nears, kenora management have heard the concerns regarding the potential locker-room tension with imlach at the helm.

kenora has every intention of maintaining imlach - four stanley cups, a winning record, and the ability to get the job done (despite controversies) is too strong a resume to send a coach packing.

therefore, to mend the situation, thistles management has decided to drop darren mccarty and place an assistant coach behind the bench with a motivational attitude and a strong rapport with the players on the thistles roster (particularly marcel dionne).

kenora fans, please welcome to the thistles coaching staff...

bob pulford -- assistant coach​
Don't think this move has any impact at all. IMO, Mccarty is not a legit ATD pick as a player & Pulford is not a legit ATD pick as a coach.

papershoes

Dec 28, 2007
Kenora, Ontario
Don't think this move has any impact at all. IMO, Mccarty is not a legit ATD pick as a player & Pulford is not a legit ATD pick as a coach.

pulford may not be a legit choice as a head coach but, with imlach at the helm, pulford brings the balance needed (motivational coaching tactics) to keep the team focused and driven (despite imlachs antics).

i like mccarty, and he certainly looked nice as a grind-liner, but, had i not selected both draper and maltby, mccarty wouldn't have been on the radar (even though i have respect for him after resurrecting his career)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
When did we all agree as a group that adding and dropping players was allowed?

I for one do not want to see the MLD pool shrunk down. In this case I don't think Pulford was on anyone's radar, but still.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
When did we all agree as a group that adding and dropping players was allowed?

I for one do not want to see the MLD pool shrunk down. In this case I don't think Pulford was on anyone's radar, but still.
It's been an accepted practice in the last three or four drafts now, but I think BlueBleeder is the only guy to actually make use of it, until now.

It doesn't really shrink the talent pool for the MLD, since you have to let a guy go to pick someone up. I'm not sure McCarty is MLD-calibre, but I think someone will nab him in the late rounds.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
It doesn't really shrink the talent pool for the MLD, since you have to let a guy go to pick someone up. I'm not sure McCarty is MLD-calibre, but I think someone will nab him in the late rounds.
McCarty breaks hip in car crash

He won't be available to play until the ATD11/MLD11 season at the earliest.

(That's the way dropped players should be treated.)

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
because it's mickey mouse to add, drop, add the same player

he was picked in the atd and thereby recognized

extend the melodrama of re-picking him in the MLD. what for? he is already on record as a atd pick.

the MLD isn't for silliness but for picking players OVERLOOKED in the atd and the NEXT BEST.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Who's inventing this rule? (add/drops are stupid, by the way)

So McCarty's incapacitated? Any chance Kharlamov, Konstantinov or Heatley suffer the same fate?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
ATD silliness? Is drafting Darren McCarty "silly"?
re-drafting him to simply assert he shouldn't have been dropped in the atd, to defend his virtues as an all-time great, to carryover *beep* from the atd

that is mickey mouse

distasteful

at the very least... silly

MCCARTY WAS DRAFTED IN ATD10 AND THAT WILL ALWAYS BE ON RECORD. that he was add/dropped to fix an ass. coach perceived problem is beside the point

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
re-drafting him to simply assert he shouldn't have been dropped in the atd, to defend his virtues as an all-time great, to carryover *beep* from the atd

that is mickey mouse

distasteful

MCCARTY WAS DRAFTED IN ATD10 AND THAT WILL ALWAYS BE ON RECORD. that he was add/dropped to fix an ass. coach perceived problem is beside the point

Wouldn't the record show that Pulford was drafted and not ******? As far as I'm concerned ******* wasn't drafted in anything and shouldn't be ineligible for the MLD. What's mickey mouse is pretending he's injured or whatever. It's not like no one would have him in the back of their minds during the MLD for a checking line, and the MLD is quite some time away. I see no problem in having him eligible for it.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I'm strongly against adding and dropping, BUT if it is here to stay, I would handle it the way VI says. McCarty has been mentioned and recognized; therefore, he is a drafted player.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would suggest to still make him available. The point is : in the MLD, GM's will look toward putting up the best team with the players who does not appear on an ATD roster, and McCarthy would be an upgrade (in a specific role) over several guys to be picked as 3rd/4th liners.

If a player is cut from a team and sent to a lower league, he's obviously allowed to play in that lower league, and I don't think it should be different. Of course, this is VI's ship, and he can decide how he wants to run it, but I just my views as a young veteran could be useful. We won an MLD because we picked guys that should have been in the ATD to begin with, at least, we thought they should have been.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
waiting for the other shoe to drop... :( don't wanna ... like throwing a party but anticipating an alcoholic uncle to drop by

seventieslord said:
I would handle it the way VI says.
MXD said:
this is VI's ship, and he can decide how he wants to run it

One more GM to back me please so I don't look like a complete *beep*

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS

that is mickey mouse

distasteful

Huh? How about something as simple as Darren McCarty showed up to ATD training camp out of shape. He's cleared waivers.

Murphy

Apr 2, 2005
Edmonton
If teams want to fine tune their lineup by adding/dropping players I'm fine with it.

So, I have started the process of ranking teams and let me tell you, its a process!

Do we have a gm ready yet to accept rankings?

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
I finally took the time to check out the hockey book section at my university library and there are a ton of good old ones in there. It's very interesting reading the books from the 50's and 60's, especially the ones on the Silver7 and earlier players. King Clancy thought Eddie Gerrard was just as good as Shore and Harvey, and there's a coach I've taken before I don't think I will again after reading some quotes. Also managed to find some more info on a few players there isn't a lot about such as Mortson and Young. Read that Marty Barry could actually fight and Adams thought Aurie was the best 2-way player in the league too. Unfortunately my ID card hasn't been updated in a few years and I wasn't able to take any out.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
King Clancy thought Eddie Gerrard was just as good as Shore and Harvey, and there's a coach I've taken before I don't think I will again after reading some quotes.

During the HOH Top-100 I posted a quote from a hockey writer who thought Gerard was as good as Cleghorn and Shore (before Harvey's time) but just wasn't as violent/physical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad