Post-Game Talk: ALL TIED UP! Jets win 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I know this type of discussion is frowned on but it is important. I hate to see people passionate about the Jets not have passion to fight for their forums.

I am not a great spokesman for this. I admit that I can be abrasive and enjoy a heated discussion. I am no angel.

What I do recommend is that if this does bother you, reach out to some mods that you respect and express your concerns. I just did so recently.

Don’t leave the forums because you feel the environment is toxic. Fight to make it better or if you don’t want to, know that others are fighting behind the scenes for you (but maybe more respectable posters should do this ha!)

Anyways, that’s all I want to say on this for now. Try to enjoy the playoffs! I find chatting with the Blues fans to be enjoyable and respectful in the playoffs section. It’s a viable alternative to our GDT imo.

Sad that the important stuff is frowned upon. I would certainly agree with your last paragraph. I've gotten into many exchanges with Blues folks and I'm impressed with their civility, thoughtfulness and friendly nature. But when it comes to recognizing missed calls by the refs, they're just as …… well, we're all fans.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Sad that the important stuff is frowned upon. I would certainly agree with your last paragraph. I've gotten into many exchanges with Blues folks and I'm impressed with their civility, thoughtfulness and friendly nature. But when it comes to recognizing missed calls by the refs, they're just as …… well, we're all fans.

It's similar to how each and every one of us drives at exactly the right speed, and everyone who drives faster is a maniac, and everyone who drives slower is an idiot ;)

Yes, when assessing the competency of the referees, a little.. "partisan bias" is to be expected.

Thanks, by the way, for the suggestion of just going to the league-wide playoff threads.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I know this type of discussion is frowned on but it is important. I hate to see people passionate about the Jets not have passion to fight for their forums.

I am not a great spokesman for this. I admit that I can be abrasive and enjoy a heated discussion. I am no angel.

What I do recommend is that if this does bother you, reach out to some mods that you respect and express your concerns. I just did so recently.

Don’t leave the forums because you feel the environment is toxic. Fight to make it better or if you don’t want to, know that others are fighting behind the scenes for you (but maybe more respectable posters should do this ha!)

Anyways, that’s all I want to say on this for now. Try to enjoy the playoffs! I find chatting with the Blues fans to be enjoyable and respectful in the playoffs section. It’s a viable alternative to our GDT imo.

Reactions: Guffman

iannn

Jan 7, 2010
Perreault can still get some greasy goals. BTW everyone, Mark Schiefele was as many penalties/PIM as Perreault does this playoffs.

Scheif has 81min TOI and Perreault has 28. And I think you'll find many here have issues with the penalties Scheif has taken as well.

Reactions: Jets 31

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Scheif has 81min TOI and Perreault has 28. And I think you'll find many here have issues with the penalties Scheif has taken as well.

Yeah just saying it was getting a little bit blown out of proportion about the amount of penalties Perreault had taken and he isn't the only one who has been undisciplined

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Perreault can still get some greasy goals. BTW everyone, Mark Schiefele was as many penalties/PIM as Perreault does this playoffs.
But Scheif is playing waaaay more minutes . I like Perreault but he has to sit at least one game to get his head together , for him to have as many penalties as he has in the limited playing time , to me it's unacceptable .

It's also the type of penalties he's taking , if they were to help prevent a goal from happening , those i could handle . But he is taking stupid penalties and that has to stop .

Last edited by a moderator:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Buff and Morrissey mean so much to this team and you can see that both of them are slowly getting back up to game speed , brilliant . :nod: We were without one of them basically from January 1 to the end of the season , that played a big part in our less than stellar second half of the season big time .

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG
They were bad penalties to take, but I don't think Perreault has a long history of taking dumb penalties.

Sometimes you're trying to play on the edge and you and up on the wrong end of the calls. No need to make Perreault the whipping boy here.

A couple bad penalties is probably the only negative to take away from a top to bottom solid performance by the Jets and first ever OT winner.

Go Jets Go!

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just a general post about “The Switch”.

The NHL is a bit different than other leagues when it comes to differences in play between the regular season and the playoffs. The intensity, physicality and style of play is simply different. Playoff hockey is REAL hockey.

This simply cannot be emulated in the regular season. There are too many games. Any particular result isn’t meaningful. Teams would wear down considerably if they tried to implement a playoff pace to the regular season.

If you look at other sports, each game in the NFL is meaningful and that’s why you don’t see many differences from the regular season to the playoffs.

Baseball doesn’t seem to be as physically demanding. The notable changes might be in pitcher utilization but generally, the game plays similarly in the playoffs.

Getting back to the NHL, the coach talks about the regular season grind and trying to manage the season. It is a grind and the payoff for a high seed isn’t worth killing your team over.

I can see up and coming teams hustling or the 15/16 Jets busting at a high level to scrape into the playoffs. Then I hear about a team like Tampa drilling the details throughout the season in practices and they had a successful regular season. Playoffs? Not so much.

The Jets proved what they were capable of last year and the team largely remained the same. Were the Jets simply “managing the season”, comfortable with their playoff seeding? I’d say yes. Performance in largely meaningless regular season games in the second half just doesn’t dictate what the Jets are capable of doing in the postseason.

So far in Round 1, my philosophy is bearing out successfully.
I posted similar arguments on the run up to the playoffs. I looked at the cup winners over the last decade not counting the lockout season ant the average regular season point total was 103 points usually well off the President cup winner pace. What is important is dialling up your game when needed, staying healthy and good goaltending. Winning the regular season is virtually meaningless.

Reactions: Guffman

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You have that absolutely and 100% completely backwards.

The only blind faith is the ignorant defeatism that would suggest, earnestly and legitimately, that we were destined to lose the whole series after being down ONE GOAL midway through GAME TWO after being down ONE NOTHING in the series.

The ignorant defeatism to suggest that we were destined to lose game three despite being down one goal early in the third.

The ignorant defeatism to suggest that we were destined to lose game four despite being down one goal midway through the third.

LUCK. LUCK IS A REAL ****ING THING. I can't believe that after witnessing Columbus SWEEP THE ****ING LIGHTNING that people still can't "get it" that luck plays a BIG ASS ROLE in the sample sizes that people are kvetching about.

You want your evidence?

Yes, our record when leading after two, a "mere" 26-5-4, was among the worst in the regular season.

Yet our record when TIED after two, 15-1-1, was better than most teams' "leading after two" rate!

How is this possible?!?!

Are we such a sick and twisted mess of a team that we're worse with a lead than when tied, in the same reality-bending way that a two-goal lead can somehow be less tenable than a one-goal lead?

Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, in sample sizes measured in a dozen or two periods, there is a MASSIVE AMOUNT OF VARIANCE and in a series with two VERY EVENLY MATCHED TEAMS, those little amounts of variance are going to have MASSIVELY over-sized impacts because a team can't win 48% to 52% of one game?

And maybe, just maybe, the difference between the Jets in games 3 and 4 and the Jets in games 1 and 2 is that they just got the right breaks at the right times in games 3 and 4 (that Game 3 Hellebuyck gaffe that he got very lucky to save, followed by Tanev's very lucky breakaway goal, that ring a bell?)

Variance measured in fractions of an inch beyond human muscle control, in chaos and natural phenomena that are unpredictable and the reason why the best bowlers in the world don't all have 300 averages. Variance in human reflexes, in games we watch in sixty frames per second but the human athlete cannot react to at even a tenth that speed?

I mean, look at the ****ing narratives.

"Schiefele and Wheeler gave up on the game five minutes in".

Seriously. This one's my favorite. And judging by how often it gets trotted out by Team Apocalypse, it's their favorite too.

But ask yourself, which is likelier:

Two highly competitive superstar-level players "aren't trying" in the most important game of the year, just like they haven't been trying all series?

OR,

these two elite players are trying their absolute best, just as the elite players they are matched up against are trying their best, and for a while, in those little ways beyond their control, things weren't panning out their way; now, things ARE panning out their way.

No, that's not what will happen. The Doomsayers convention will simply move on to the next moment of adversity, and continue to ignore one failed prediction after another until one finally comes true.

Haven't you noticed the progression?

"We aren't going to make the playoffs"
"We're likely to be a wild card team"
"We're likely to finish third"
"We'll be lucky to win a game"

now we're up to "there's no way we'll win the series". A series where we've still got that same about 50-50 chance to win that we started with.

And if we win that? "There's no way we'll win [insert every game where we're either behind or being outplayed for any length in a tied game]", followed by "there's no way we'll win round two".

Almost certainly, it will come to an end with us not winning the cup. As I said repeatedly at the start, even the Tampa Bay Lightning are almost certainly not going to win the Cup. Only once you get to the finals is one team "likely to win the cup".

There exists a mainstream Judeo-Christian sect who are literally 0-for-13 in prophesying Armageddon. Like I mean, they named the year, the month, and the day of the literal end of the world. The actual ****ing eschaton, down to the day. And they're 0-for-13.

Now, you think that after going, say, 0-for-12, people would start to question if such predictions were just negativity for negativity's sake.

But sure as ****, they prophesied again, and unless this forum is an *actual* eternal agony-filled Hell from which there is no escape (and not just a figurative one), they were wrong again.

And someday they'll go for their 14th crack at at. It's inevitable.

Just as it's inevitable that the Doomsaying here will continue unabated. No amount of success will stop it.

So no, @larmex99 is absolutely right. There is no salvation to be found; GDTs are a festering cesspit, and that's just the culture here, an inevitable consequence of difficult-to-enforce standards on what constitutes "trolling the fanbase you're ostensibly a fan of" and "trolling another team's fanbase".
Amen and amen
Great post

Reactions: kanadalainen

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Buff and Morrissey mean so much to this team and you can see that both of them are slowly getting back up to game speed , brilliant . :nod: We were without one of them basically from January 1 to the end of the season , that played a big part in our less than stellar second half of the season big time .

we had a thread earlier in the year asking who the top three most important players for the jets were.

i was shocked some people didn't have buff or jojo on their list.

Reactions: Jets 31

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Although I agree with you -- be a mistake taking him out, as the lines now have great chemistry. I wouldn't keep him around next year though at $ 4mil--too expensive, and undisciplined hockey. His penalties could have costed us the game.
Ship MP and Kuli out and don't re-sign Myers and you have an extra 13.7m to put towards signing Copper, Laine, Tanev and KC.

Trade Ehlers (Vaseline takes his place as 2LW) for Lindholm and trade Trouba for Point or Trochek.

Scheif Little Trochek/Point Lowry as centers...
Laine Wheeler Copper KC Appleseed Vaseline Roslo Tanev as wingers...
JMo Lindholm Niku Chiarot Buff Samberg? and Poolman for D men...

Helle and Brossoit in goal.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
Pav was super human at the end of the regular season to get us in. Yep, better goaltending would have extended the series but the team didn’t have much more to give. That’s why they rebooted the team with a youth movement.

I'm pretty sure JetfaninFlorida's just jerking your chain a bit. The 15/16 Jets missed the playoffs. You're thinking of the 14/15 Jets. ;) I totally agree with your assessment of that Ducks series, though. We were gassed and beaten up from playing for our playoff lives for over a month.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
You have that absolutely and 100% completely backwards.

The only blind faith is the ignorant defeatism that would suggest, earnestly and legitimately, that we were destined to lose the whole series after being down ONE GOAL midway through GAME TWO after being down ONE NOTHING in the series.

The ignorant defeatism to suggest that we were destined to lose game three despite being down one goal early in the third.

The ignorant defeatism to suggest that we were destined to lose game four despite being down one goal midway through the third.

LUCK. LUCK IS A REAL ****ING THING. I can't believe that after witnessing Columbus SWEEP THE ****ING LIGHTNING that people still can't "get it" that luck plays a BIG ASS ROLE in the sample sizes that people are kvetching about.

You want your evidence?

Yes, our record when leading after two, a "mere" 26-5-4, was among the worst in the regular season.

Yet our record when TIED after two, 15-1-1, was better than most teams' "leading after two" rate!

How is this possible?!?!

Are we such a sick and twisted mess of a team that we're worse with a lead than when tied, in the same reality-bending way that a two-goal lead can somehow be less tenable than a one-goal lead?

Or MAYBE, just MAYBE, in sample sizes measured in a dozen or two periods, there is a MASSIVE AMOUNT OF VARIANCE and in a series with two VERY EVENLY MATCHED TEAMS, those little amounts of variance are going to have MASSIVELY over-sized impacts because a team can't win 48% to 52% of one game?

And maybe, just maybe, the difference between the Jets in games 3 and 4 and the Jets in games 1 and 2 is that they just got the right breaks at the right times in games 3 and 4 (that Game 3 Hellebuyck gaffe that he got very lucky to save, followed by Tanev's very lucky breakaway goal, that ring a bell?)

Variance measured in fractions of an inch beyond human muscle control, in chaos and natural phenomena that are unpredictable and the reason why the best bowlers in the world don't all have 300 averages. Variance in human reflexes, in games we watch in sixty frames per second but the human athlete cannot react to at even a tenth that speed?

I mean, look at the ****ing narratives.

"Schiefele and Wheeler gave up on the game five minutes in".

Seriously. This one's my favorite. And judging by how often it gets trotted out by Team Apocalypse, it's their favorite too.

But ask yourself, which is likelier:

Two highly competitive superstar-level players "aren't trying" in the most important game of the year, just like they haven't been trying all series?

OR,

these two elite players are trying their absolute best, just as the elite players they are matched up against are trying their best, and for a while, in those little ways beyond their control, things weren't panning out their way; now, things ARE panning out their way.

No, that's not what will happen. The Doomsayers convention will simply move on to the next moment of adversity, and continue to ignore one failed prediction after another until one finally comes true.

Haven't you noticed the progression?

"We aren't going to make the playoffs"
"We're likely to be a wild card team"
"We're likely to finish third"
"We'll be lucky to win a game"

now we're up to "there's no way we'll win the series". A series where we've still got that same about 50-50 chance to win that we started with.

And if we win that? "There's no way we'll win [insert every game where we're either behind or being outplayed for any length in a tied game]", followed by "there's no way we'll win round two".

Almost certainly, it will come to an end with us not winning the cup. As I said repeatedly at the start, even the Tampa Bay Lightning are almost certainly not going to win the Cup. Only once you get to the finals is one team "likely to win the cup".

There exists a mainstream Judeo-Christian sect who are literally 0-for-13 in prophesying Armageddon. Like I mean, they named the year, the month, and the day of the literal end of the world. The actual ****ing eschaton, down to the day. And they're 0-for-13.

Now, you think that after going, say, 0-for-12, people would start to question if such predictions were just negativity for negativity's sake.

But sure as ****, they prophesied again, and unless this forum is an *actual* eternal agony-filled Hell from which there is no escape (and not just a figurative one), they were wrong again.

And someday they'll go for their 14th crack at at. It's inevitable.

Just as it's inevitable that the Doomsaying here will continue unabated. No amount of success will stop it.

So no, @larmex99 is absolutely right. There is no salvation to be found; GDTs are a festering cesspit, and that's just the culture here, an inevitable consequence of difficult-to-enforce standards on what constitutes "trolling the fanbase you're ostensibly a fan of" and "trolling another team's fanbase".
I almost missed this post until I saw it replied to by someone else. That would have been a real shame as this is maybe the best post this board has seen in a long time. Not only bang on, but pretty damn funny. Had to put you on follow Lackey to not risk missing a similar type lay of the land post in the future. :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: Guffman and Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad