Winnipeg
A fun “copycat” recipe… Crunchwraps
13B77677-B12C-42F8-AB50-97A24F0C2A90.jpeg
53AAAB8C-219F-464E-85A0-7CE891A5DC2D.jpeg

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Wonderful fruity hot sauce recipe. Although personally I skip the apple juice and sugar as I like a less sweet sauce.

Reactions: UFO

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I've been looking for a good book for smoothies, more fruit based smoothies. Seen some on Amazon, but they are either all health crazy eat grass smoothies or no pictures and I look pictures to see what it should look like before I make something

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Winnipeg Winter Steak a la Kanadalainen's youngest offspring

~ 4cm Tenderloin steaks over high natural gas flame, outside at -18*C. Buy 'em, and fork them over to youngest offspring.

- Brush snow off BBQ. Flame on. Relinquish all control to the kid line.

- Heat grill hard for 10 min.

- Prep meat by seasoning with whatever you've got

Sear, then give about 4 min per side for a medium rare. 45 min prior, cook some other stuff high in carbohydrates to go with all this saturated fat and delicious semi-denatured protein. Potatoes work, mashed. Some green stuff is also a good plan.

rare-rare-steak.gif

- eat, while watching the Rangers get smashed and slowly ground to dust. 80 inch smart TV is recommended, so that you can see the tears coursing down Shesterkin's face, and watch Gallant stare agast/dumbfounded/in befuddlement with each Jets' goal.

(6 hours prior to eating, ingest something to control liver-borne HMG Co-A reductase to modulate yer plasma LDL conc).

The End

Up next - cabbage rolls a la somebody's Grandma.

grandmas-cabbage-rolls-paleo-low-carb-gluten-free-dairy-free-2-of-4.jpg
We need more recipes; yours sounds good

There’s only three so far and the rest is how to make pizza without a recipe

Looks like they’re striking up a committee on how to make a crust :laugh:

And I’m still waiting on my Springsteen tickets by the way…….:sarcasm:

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
We need more recipes;
ok, well here’s one…

Does anyone remember Amici/Bombolini on Broadway? One of my favourite pastas there was this one which I guessed at the recipe and believe it’s pretty close. Let me know if you try it.

Linguine Gamberetti

2 T Butter

2/3 cup sliced mushrooms

2 T chopped red onion

1 chopped scallion

1 sliced jalapeno - seeds and pulp removed

2 t minced garlic

2 t minced ginger

2 t curry powder

1/2 cup chopped tomato or drained canned diced tomato

1/2 cup frozen peas

8-12 oz peeled and deveined raw shrimp (I like the 16-20 size)

2 cups whipping cream

1/2 cup freshly grated Regianno plus more for serving

Saute the mushrooms in the butter in a large skillet until soft and starting to brown.

Add the red onion and jalapeno and saute over medium high heat for a minute.

Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another minute.

Add the curry powder and continue to saute for a minute,

Add the peas and tomatoes and saute for a minute.

Add the shrimp and saute and toss until they are coated in the spice and just beginning to turn pink.

Remove pan from heat and with tongs remove the shrimp to a cold plate leaving everything else in the pan.

Add the cream and bring to a good simmer.

In the meantime, cook 12oz to a pound of linguine until al dente and drain - save a cup of the cooking water.

Add the linguine, shrimp and 1/2 cup of Regianno to the pan and toss until thoroughly mixed and heated through. While tossing and heating, add hot cooking water (or more cream) a tablespoon at a time ONLY if sauce is too thick.

Serve garnished with a little chopped fresh grape tomato, chopped cilantro, grated Regianno and fresh ground pepper. Allow guests to add more Regianno at the table as they wish
63CEDF75-C5A8-4A96-97AC-6AD562EC34CD.jpeg

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
My first Latam-Spanish cuisine recipe was Camarones con Queso -- fry up onions, garlic to season, then fry some shrimp, then put them on top of a bed of black beans, cover with oaxaca queso, cook for N minutes.

I'd cook that 24/7 if it got Sergio Castillo back to the Bombers >.<

RabidOne

Drinking all the beers
Apr 15, 2014
Kelowna
ok, well here’s one…

Does anyone remember Amici/Bombolini on Broadway? One of my favourite pastas there was this one which I guessed at the recipe and believe it’s pretty close. Let me know if you try it.

Linguine Gamberetti

2 T Butter

2/3 cup sliced mushrooms

2 T chopped red onion

1 chopped scallion

1 sliced jalapeno - seeds and pulp removed

2 t minced garlic

2 t minced ginger

2 t curry powder

1/2 cup chopped tomato or drained canned diced tomato

1/2 cup frozen peas

8-12 oz peeled and deveined raw shrimp (I like the 16-20 size)

2 cups whipping cream

1/2 cup freshly grated Regianno plus more for serving

Saute the mushrooms in the butter in a large skillet until soft and starting to brown.

Add the red onion and jalapeno and saute over medium high heat for a minute.

Add the garlic and ginger and saute for another minute.

Add the curry powder and continue to saute for a minute,

Add the peas and tomatoes and saute for a minute.

Add the shrimp and saute and toss until they are coated in the spice and just beginning to turn pink.

Remove pan from heat and with tongs remove the shrimp to a cold plate leaving everything else in the pan.

Add the cream and bring to a good simmer.

In the meantime, cook 12oz to a pound of linguine until al dente and drain - save a cup of the cooking water.

Add the linguine, shrimp and 1/2 cup of Regianno to the pan and toss until thoroughly mixed and heated through. While tossing and heating, add hot cooking water (or more cream) a tablespoon at a time ONLY if sauce is too thick.

Serve garnished with a little chopped fresh grape tomato, chopped cilantro, grated Regianno and fresh ground pepper. Allow guests to add more Regianno at the table as they wishView attachment 658207
Loved Bombolini’s.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
I made Chicken Doria last night for the family.

Doria is a ramekin, a true Japanese fusion concoction - eg, Yoshoku (Western inspired). It was the first trial and everyone liked it. The cooking is in three parts: 1. Dicing and folding in shiitake mushrooms and onions while frying the chicken 2. making the sauce and simmering the chicken in that, and then 3. Broil the entire thing, au gratin.

If I can do this anyone can.

Chicken doria.jpg

Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 11.31.47 AM.png

You can sub in almost any protein for the chicken. Shrimp, beef, fish. However the chicken turned out great.

***Major change to keep it simple: Sub out the Dashi for Chicken Stock.

Other notes: Japanese hot mustard = Wasabi (any grocery store has this).
I used Sushi rice.
Tonkatsu sauce - picked this up at the Korean market on pembina highway.
Shiitake mushrooms - see Tonkastsu sauce.
I broiled the concoction in a pyrex cassarole dish for 7 min @ 500*F.

The final result is kind of like a Chicken pizza, Japanese style - really tasty.

Methodology:
Screenshot 2023-03-10 at 11.37.38 AM.png

Enjoy, its lovely stuff.

Last edited:

imec

Sponsor
Aug 29, 2013
Winnipeg
Pizza Buns.

0B5DE108-F136-4595-9C5B-2D922B547454.jpeg

mix 550 grams strong white (bread) flour with 3t ID yeast, 1t salt, 370ml luke warm water in a stand mixer with dough hook for about 3 minutes. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place until double (about an hour). Dump dough out onto a well floured surface and roll out to a 10"X20" rectangle. Brush with your favourite pizza sauce. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella, brick, jack, provolone... whatever white cheese you have on hand (cup and a half t two cups at most). Roll into a 20" long cylinder, cut into 12 pieces, and place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Cover with a tea towell and let rise i a warm place for 30 mins or so - they should increase in size by about 50%. Remove tea towel, brush with a little sauce and sprinkle with a little cheese and some thinly sliced grape tomato. Place on the middle shelf in a 400 degree F oven (I keep a pan on the bottom of my oven and pour in a half cup of boiling water to create steam after placing the buns in). Bake for about 17-20 mins or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the middle of a bun reads above 205F. Let cool on a rack.

I use this basic recipe and approach and vary the filling/topping.

Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese, Bacon

24E9EEA6-7DE5-4479-B5D1-47454318A244_1_201_a.jpeg

Cheddar/Jalapeno, Cheese/Herbs Garlic... use your imagination

8A221F2B-989A-4261-B927-CBDCFC42282E_1_201_a.jpeg

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Pizza Buns.

View attachment 666702

mix 550 grams strong white (bread) flour with 3t ID yeast, 1t salt, 370ml luke warm water in a stand mixer with dough hook for about 3 minutes. Cover and let the dough rise in a warm place until double (about an hour). Dump dough out onto a well floured surface and roll out to a 10"X20" rectangle. Brush with your favourite pizza sauce. Sprinkle with grated mozzarella, brick, jack, provolone... whatever white cheese you have on hand (cup and a half t two cups at most). Roll into a 20" long cylinder, cut into 12 pieces, and place on a parchment lined sheet pan. Cover with a tea towell and let rise i a warm place for 30 mins or so - they should increase in size by about 50%. Remove tea towel, brush with a little sauce and sprinkle with a little cheese and some thinly sliced grape tomato. Place on the middle shelf in a 400 degree F oven (I keep a pan on the bottom of my oven and pour in a half cup of boiling water to create steam after placing the buns in). Bake for about 17-20 mins or until an instant read thermometer inserted into the middle of a bun reads above 205F. Let cool on a rack.

I use this basic recipe and approach and vary the filling/topping.

Sauerkraut, Swiss Cheese, Bacon

View attachment 666703

Cheddar/Jalapeno, Cheese/Herbs Garlic... use your imagination

View attachment 666704
yum!

Reactions: imec

SSCBLUEJET

Jul 23, 2022
Way back there was a little convenience store on the corner of Oakview Ave. and Brazier St. in E.K. It made some killer Corned Beef. The store has been gone for ages but I'd love to get that recipe. If anyone knows please share it with me.
Thanks.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Made brownies, optional toppings are vanilla ice cream, blueberries and whipping cream.

Supper tonight is Brussel sprouts, rice, onions and seasoned chicken.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Planning to air fry a pork tenderloin, and I'm looking for some of the tastiest homemade rubs or marinades/sauces. Any recommendations?

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Planning to air fry a pork tenderloin, and I'm looking for some of the tastiest homemade rubs or marinades/sauces. Any recommendations?

I have a new air fryer but haven't tried it since I got a couple months ago. I'm curious how it is

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad