All things Pegula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Over the past 30 years has there been a worse more sad ridiculous and incompetent owner in the NHL than Terry? He has done virtually nothing right, has completely destroyed a market that was so strong to the point that they can't even give tickets away and took what was once the 3rd most successful franchise by record in history and turned them into a historic laughingstock. Only Rich Gordon compares to him IMO.
The sens, NY Jets, and Washington football team all have worse current owners off the top of my head. Arizona looks pretty bad right now.

Sabres aren't doing well but, that's just dramatic

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The sens, NY Jets, and Washington football team all have worse current owners off the top of my head. Arizona looks pretty bad right now.

Sabres aren't doing well but, that's just dramatic
Two of those are gridball teams and are thus irrelevant to the conversation. Arizona has had multiple different owners and have at least had seasons where the team was competitive. In terms of on ice success the Melnyk Sens blow the Pegula Sabres out of the water: a few years back they were a goal away from reaching a cup final, we haven't had a season where we weren't dead and buried well before it concluded in the 9 seasons that bumbling fool has owned us.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Two of those are gridball teams and are thus irrelevant to the conversation. Arizona has had multiple different owners and have at least had seasons where the team was competitive. In terms of on ice success the Melnyk Sens blow the Pegula Sabres out of the water: a few years back they were a goal away from reaching a cup final, we haven't had a season where we weren't dead and buried well before it concluded in the 9 seasons that bumbling fool has owned us.

One owner has been sued for financial fraud by governments in two different countries. The other one is Terry Pegula.

I'm fine with that trade.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
One owner has been sued for financial fraud by governments in two different countries. The other one is Terry Pegula.

I'm fine with that trade.
One owner is the single least successful hockey owner in living memory. The other one is Eugene Melnyk.

Nobody is worse than Pegula. NOBODY.

Nine seasons. NINE GODDAMNED SEASONS OF HISTORIC FAILURE.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Just because a single share is affordable doesn't mean its worth the investment

Scared money don't make money.

I put some money in risky stocks just in case. Also, investing in energy right now would be smart. It's on the low end.

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
Vincent Viola Panthers

Daryll Katz Oilers

Atlanta Spirit group

If we're talking about on ice results there have been other Owners who have been as bad or worse then the Pegulas.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Vincent Viola Panthers

Daryll Katz Oilers

Atlanta Spirit group

If we're talking about on ice results there have been other Owners who have been as bad or worse then the Pegulas.
A single owner missing the playoffs 9 consecutive seasons without even coming close to making the playoffs is unprecedented in league history. Even those horrid owners had seasons where their team was competitive, the Pegulas are a historic level of garbage owners.

Reactions: Buffaloed

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
A single owner missing the playoffs 9 consecutive seasons without even coming close to making the playoffs is unprecedented in league history. Even those horrid owners had seasons where their team was competitive, the Pegulas are a historic level of garbage owners.

Not even close?

2011-12 we missed the Playoffs by 3 points.

12-13 probably would've been the same had not for the Lockout. Although Regier decided to tank and go through "suffering."

Then 13-14 and 14-15 they were supposed to be bad.

My point is the Pegulas aren't the 1st Owners to miss the Playoffs 9 years in a row. Karmanos with the Hurricanes too.

If they miss the Playoffs the next 2 years then yes, I'll echo your statement.

Reactions: jc17

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Not even close?

2011-12 we missed the Playoffs by 3 points.

12-13 probably would've been the same had not for the Lockout. Although Regier decided to tank and go through "suffering."

Then 13-14 and 14-15 they were supposed to be bad.

My point is the Pegulas aren't the 1st Owners to miss the Playoffs 9 years in a row. Karmanos with the Hurricanes too.

If they miss the Playoffs the next 2 years then yes, I'll echo your statement.
Karmanos is a man I hate more than anyone on planet Earth and on the blessed day he leaves this mortal coil I will dance on his grave to the tune of the Brass Bonanza. But that human slime mold managed to win a cup before he started losing so much freaking money he had to raid his kid's trust funds to keep things afloat. And those Carolina teams were never the diseased laughingstock the Pegula Sabres have been and still are. I mean we literally just missed out on a TWENTY FOUR TEAM PLAYOFF.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The only thing that Karmanos has done better than the Pegulas is that he understood he needed to put hockey people in charge of hockey and got better advice on who to hire.

KeyserSoze81

Mar 1, 2007
Rochester, NY
The only thing that Karmanos has done better than the Pegulas is that he understood he needed to put hockey people in charge of hockey and got better advice on who to hire.

Yup, the Pegulas have gotten progressively worse in this regard, and their only answer is to pull management further under their control. They are a textbook case of the Kruger-Dunning effect. I follow sports for team building and management, and I have abandoned all hope for this organization with them at the helm.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Yup, the Pegulas have gotten progressively worse in this regard, and their only answer is to pull management further under their control. They are a textbook case of the Kruger-Dunning effect. I follow sports for team building and management, and I have abandoned all hope for this organization with them at the helm.

Yup. They are unfortunately a great example of below average businesspeople who got one thing right, and then decide they are automatically always the smartest people about everything else they might do.

PegulasSportsEmpire

Mar 24, 2007
BUFFALO
Yeah I have come to terms that the Pegulas are awful Owners. But sometimes awful Owners can get lucky and win Championships.

Bottom line is we still want the Pegulas to own the Bills.

Not just because of Beane and McDermott but because they have stability. Without the Pegulas they would be in Toronto under Bon Jovi. Or under Donald Trump.

They have no clue how to build a successful Football team. They got lucky hiring those 2. But whatever.

But the NHL is a gate driven league. They need that Playoff revenue. They cannot afford to keep screwing up. They are losing millions of dollars and will continue to lose money the longer this drought goes. I fully expect Key Bank Center to look like what it did during the 2002-03 season.

Now maybe they'll get lucky. Maybe they get lucky and find a hot goalie. If they keep screwing up they'll keep accumulating top 10 draft picks and keep drafting players like Dylan Cozens and Rasmus Dahlin. They wouldn't get good because they got it right with management but because the NHL is designed that way.

But maybe I'm wrong and they send the Sabres on a historicaly long Playoff drought. And if that happens then the Sabres will go bankrupt. Then it'll be time for "One Buffalo" to end.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Yeah I have come to terms that the Pegulas are awful Owners. But sometimes awful Owners can get lucky and win Championships.

Bottom line is we still want the Pegulas to own the Bills.

Not just because of Beane and McDermott but because they have stability. Without the Pegulas they would be in Toronto under Bon Jovi. Or under Donald Trump.

They have no clue how to build a successful Football team. They got lucky hiring those 2. But whatever.

But the NHL is a gate driven league. They need that Playoff revenue. They cannot afford to keep screwing up. They are losing millions of dollars and will continue to lose money the longer this drought goes. I fully expect Key Bank Center to look like what it did during the 2002-03 season.

Now maybe they'll get lucky. Maybe they get lucky and find a hot goalie. If they keep screwing up they'll keep accumulating top 10 draft picks and keep drafting players like Dylan Cozens and Rasmus Dahlin. They wouldn't get good because they got it right with management but because the NHL is designed that way.

But maybe I'm wrong and they send the Sabres on a historicaly long Playoff drought. And if that happens then the Sabres will go bankrupt. Then it'll be time for "One Buffalo" to end.

If Sabres fans have learned anything by now I would've thought it's that having high draft picks doesn't build a winner. You can have a top 5 pick in every single draft and it's not going to mean anything when the organization itself is garbage.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If Sabres fans have learned anything by now I would've thought it's that having high draft picks doesn't build a winner. You can have a top 5 pick in every single draft and it's not going to mean anything when the organization itself is garbage.
Like when we had last years #31 OA pick and like half a dozen great forward prospects to choose from and then...

High draft picks cannot overcome top to bottom organizational stupidity and incompetence. You can take a top 10 pick and if you throw the poor kid out to get murdered on a nightly basis at a level they absolutely aren't ready for you'll kill his career before it can even begin.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
The number of nepotism hires mentioned in that article is disappointing, but not surprising.
The Jacobs and Rich families hire a lot of relatives. But if you want to join the family business you have to get the education for it and prove yourself. A lot can happen to change things, but as it currently stands PS&E isn't built to survive long term. Enjoy all those Cups while you can. :laugh: When Terry and Kim are gone the Sabres will be sold.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Ever read about those people who win millions in the lottery and then are broke in 5-10 years? That's the Pegulas. They spent money recklessly just to show they had it. Look at the idiotic contracts they gave out and had to buy out over the years. All the people they fired and still had to pay. They wasted millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad