All things Pegula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Bulldog intimated pretty heavily today that the Pegulas have meddled in player personnel decisions, I suppose we all knew that already. Hoping the stories come out one day, maybe we get some pissed off scouts that speak up

rtfirefly

Nov 13, 2013
Perhaps it would be to better to have a team president who actually attends the games, and who operates from the city in which the team plays, rather than one who generally exercises power long distance from her Florida mansion, or from her (soon to be upgraded) yacht. But, you know, it's so . . . disagreeable in Buffalo in the winter, and the people there are so . . . declasse.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Chris Taylor

"Our family grew up here, our kids were 3 and 5 when we moved here and we never left,” said Taylor. “Even when I had different stops, we maintained our house here — it’s 20 years now. What a great community, everything about the city. It’s special to us so it’s hard right now. All of a sudden, I don’t have a paycheck in two weeks, no health care for my special needs’ child in two weeks. Everything is just sad. Usually you recognize when something is going to happen, you have a little inkling, but this was nothing at all.”

She is a ****ing *****. And he's a god damn idiot.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
So I'm guessing Botterill was fired because he didn't have the heart to fire everyone. Kim Pegula probably said he doesn't have the balls to do it, I'll do it.

Anyone else believe Kim convinced Terry Pegula that this is just a move towards using more technology? I honestly don't think he knows what's happening.

I just want honest owners. I understand it's tough times. I know how much the Pegulas have done for Buffalo. Just tell us they are firing people to cut costs. Don't try to make it about technology and getting leaner.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
When GM's get fired it's because the team sucks, which ours does but the Pegulas have now fired TWO GM's for refusing to carry out their orders - Murray refused to fire Bylsma and got fired himself and now Botterill refused to fire people and refused and got fired. That's crazy, off the top of my head I can't think of a GM firing for not following orders.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
When GM's get fired it's because the team sucks, which ours does but the Pegulas have now fired TWO GM's for refusing to carry out their orders - Murray refused to fire Bylsma and got fired himself and now Botterill refused to fire people and refused and got fired. That's crazy, off the top of my head I can't think of a GM firing for not following orders.
Ralph did the same thing all the time. Ralph fired good GM's though.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'm just about done with the Pegulas.

They've had a lot of goodwill from me for a very long time, because of buying the team and promising to keep it in town, because of changing the logo and colors back, because of all the money they invested in downtown.

But all that goodwill's gone now.

There's also always been a lot about the Pegulas that has always made me personally uncomfortable: their politics, their religiosity, and most of all the fact that they made their fortune in the fossil fuel industry. Stuff I was able to overlook before, but their mismanagement of the team has just brought all of that personal distaste to the forefront.

They have the classic rich person delusion: they think that just because they were successful in one particular thing, that means they are an expert at everything. (As if it required any great genius in the first place to think up digging holes in the ground and collecting oil and gas). Even so, just because they achieved success and money in that one area, doesn't mean they know squat about running a sports franchise - as the mismangement that has resulted from their continual interventions has repeatedly demonstrated.
Were you conflicted prior to the Pegula's ownership? Not clear to me hockey is the favored sport of the proletariat.

Reactions: sabremike

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I can’t square the Taylor firing. No matter how I turn this over in my head, I can’t make it make sense except that they think there no point in paying an AHL coach during the extended COVID shutdown. And I find it pretty trashy. They aren’t required to not to be trash. They didn’t break the law, which is a pretty low bar. They have every right to do it, but it’s trash. They’re trash.

Reactions: AustonsNostrils

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Chris Taylor

She is a ****ing *****. And he's a god damn idiot.

Obviously its not an ideal situation, but let's stop slandering the Pegula's.

The world is upside down. Taylor is now one of 40 million people in the same boat. I just don't understand when wealthy people have become expected to be everyone's charity.

Taylor has been trending down for months now. The results were not there, I don't know why he can't see that himself. Too many players that have been in Rochester were not becoming impact NHL players. The only one I can really think of that worked was Olofsson and he had a lengthy European career. Taylor seemed to care more about veteran players with zero NHL future, than he did prospects. I remember watching the games and wondering why guys like Asplund, Mittelstadt, Malone, Bryson, Borgen, and Fitzgerald were not getting the most ice time.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Were you conflicted prior to the Pegula's ownership? Not clear to me hockey is the favored sport of the proletariat.

Look man, I'm no Communist, but you don't have to be one to feel uneasy about someone who made their fortune in fracking - in an age when climate change is now a clear fact and getting worse.

I'd feel much the same if the team were bought by CEO of a tobacco company or a gun manufacturer. Sure they made their money doing something legal, but they still have a lot of blood on their hands.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Some people like myself believe Krueger will be in a management role soon in Buffalo, maybe even next year. Is it possible Taylor was let go because the next coach has an AHL coach in mind?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Jesus, I didn't know about his kids. Taylor did nothing but used what he had to work with and succeed. Where was there fault in his ability to coach. I'm still baffled he was let go.
I'm not a big follower of AHL hockey and he's had decent success but I remember stating how successful Botterill made Rochester and people argued back that the team was full of veterans and they should be good.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Taylor had done nothing for Rochester-nice guy and all. Who did he develop? What did he win--he certainly had a moneyed lineup with veterans. But that said what was his contract? Who with term left on contract gets fired and only gets 2 weeks pay and benefits ? Or was the term of his contract ended and he was not resigned? The last 3 months when he had no job to do I would expect he got pay and benefits at least I hope so-but were there promises to extend if term ending? Was Botterill making promises he did not have authority to make? Was Taylor misled somehow-not that any pro team was looking to hire-they were all cost cutting. Does this matter? As a matter of transparency and honesty this should be part of the discussion. Still the right thing to do with a faithful if non performing employee is to give him notice of what is to come and give him a decent severance and benefit package to assist while he looks for another job.

Jim Carr's Rug

Jan 16, 2006
Denver
It’s still hard for me to square the Bills recent progression versus the Sabres.

I don’t understand why this has to be so difficult.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Obviously its not an ideal situation, but let's stop slandering the Pegula's.

The world is upside down. Taylor is now one of 40 million people in the same boat. I just don't understand when wealthy people have become expected to be everyone's charity.

Taylor has been trending down for months now. The results were not there, I don't know why he can't see that himself. Too many players that have been in Rochester were not becoming impact NHL players. The only one I can really think of that worked was Olofsson and he had a lengthy European career. Taylor seemed to care more about veteran players with zero NHL future, than he did prospects. I remember watching the games and wondering why guys like Asplund, Mittelstadt, Malone, Bryson, Borgen, and Fitzgerald were not getting the most ice time.

Care to explain how he was trending down for months when there hasn't been any hockey?

The results were there, but Taylor's worth goes further than wins/losses. It's about the development of guys. By all accounts Thompson's game improved. Mittelstadt showed improvement.

Every coach leans on vets no matter the level of play. The reason why the team had so many vets is because of the development paths from the drafts of Murray and Botterill. Guys were developing in other leagues. There were also quite a few guys from Murray's drafting not kept by Botterill so you lost those bodies as well. Asplund seemed to be getting the quality offensive minutes. Same with Mittelstadt. Malone had his best year of his career this past season but he was always going to be a AHL/NHL fringe player. This was Bryson's 1st professional season after 3 years of college. There's nothing wrong with bringing defenseman along, who develop slower than forwards, slowly. Borgen is 23 years old, nothing wrong with taking it slowly as well, but he should get an uptick in responsibilities. This was Fitzgerald first "full" professional season in Rochester. Bringing him along slowly is the right call.

If you have an issue with the AMOUNT of players that were blocking guys from getting more minutes, well that's where Sexton and management came into play. Sabres/Amerks management designed it that way. If you take issue with the speed at which players develop, you may want to have a little more patience.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
It’s still hard for me to square the Bills recent progression versus the Sabres.

I don’t understand why this has to be so difficult.

When Terry Pegula bought the Bills the team he purchased from Ralph Wilson's estate finished 9 and 7 under Doug Marrone. They had the 4th rated defense and the 18th ranked offense.

After almost 6 years of Pegula ownership the Buffalo Bills finished 10-6 under Sean McDermott. They had the 2nd rated defense and the 24th ranked offense.

Most of the perceived progress is simply adding actual NFL bodies back to a team where they had been stripped away for 2 years. There is a lot of hope in this town but no actual huge progress..yet.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
So I'm guessing Botterill was fired because he didn't have the heart to fire everyone. Kim Pegula probably said he doesn't have the balls to do it, I'll do it.

Anyone else believe Kim convinced Terry Pegula that this is just a move towards using more technology? I honestly don't think he knows what's happening.

I just want honest owners. I understand it's tough times. I know how much the Pegulas have done for Buffalo. Just tell us they are firing people to cut costs. Don't try to make it about technology and getting leaner.

Except Kim didn't even fire these people, Adams did.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Most firings are for not following the owners wishes. This is nothing new, you just don’t hear about it every time. Harry Neale said in the early 80s the owner called him in in Vancouver and told him to fire the coach. Neale didn’t agree and the owner said, “ We can have one firing or two firings today, your decision.”

owners are more involved now then ever. The new term the insiders use is “managing up” which means the GMs ability to handle the ownership.

I’m not trying to let the Pegulas off the hook here, just stating that ownership in every sport is highly involved. Their team, their money, they want a voice.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Bulldog intimated pretty heavily today that the Pegulas have meddled in player personnel decisions, I suppose we all knew that already. Hoping the stories come out one day, maybe we get some pissed off scouts that speak up

This jibes with Elliotte Friedman's comments in his recent podcast. He asserts that Botterill is not a "term guy" and did not want to give the huge term to Skinner or even Jack.

Friedman seems to think Botterill was overruled by the Pegulas regarding those 2 Ks, as just one example of ownership meddling.

The Pegulas aren't new anymore. It is quite clear they are meddling owners. That's their thing. They have a fortune and can live out pretty much any fantasy they have. Their idea of the good life, apparently, is running a pro sports team.

They want to be involved, it's their money doing the talking, and by golly, they are GOING to be involved.

We are screwed as a fanbase!

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Most firings are for not following the owners wishes. This is nothing new, you just don’t hear about it every time. Harry Neale said in the early 80s the owner called him in in Vancouver and told him to fire the coach. Neale didn’t agree and the owner said, “ We can have one firing or two firings today, your decision.”

owners are more involved now then ever. The new term the insiders use is “managing up” which means the GMs ability to handle the ownership.

I’m not trying to let the Pegulas off the hook here, just stating that ownership in every sport is highly involved. Their team, their money, they want a voice.

That's not true, though it is becoming more commonly that way all the time. But there are plenty of owners who put their people in place and then step out of the way and let them do their jobs.

John Henry of the Red Sox is a great example. He hires top people, let's them work, and stays in the shadows. He shows up every few years when it's time to hand him the world championship trophy for another WS victory.

That's how it should be done.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
What the Pegulas did will reverberate for the Sabres for a very long time. Their whining about 'hockey people', the mass firings during a terrible time for everybody, good luck when things go back to normal attracting quality people to come work for you. You will get people who will take any job because they aren't highly regarded. They have done long term serious damage to the franchise.

For now we can hope that a new regime under Kevyn Adams could be the right formula but looking at this entire thing objectively - it is a complete sh*tshow, hiring a GM with zero experience who will manage the team by committee with 2 owners as part of the committee.

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
What the Pegulas did will reverberate for the Sabres for a very long time. Their whining about 'hockey people', the mass firings during a terrible time for everybody, good luck when things go back to normal attracting quality people to come work for you. You will get people who will take any job because they aren't highly regarded. They have done long term serious damage to the franchise.

For now we can hope that a new regime under Kevyn Adams could be the right formula but looking at this entire thing objectively - it is a complete sh*tshow, hiring a GM with zero experience who will manage the team by committee with 2 owners as part of the committee.
Dead right about “rule by committee” setting up to be a disaster. In fact, this is all the Kim and Terry Show moving forward. They’re not even pretending to be passive owners. The Great Hockey Purge just solidified their absolute power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad