All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XX - CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The states decide how their delegates are spent.
If someone has a problem with how their state spends them, take it up at the state level.
It was specifically designed to avoid control at the federal level.

I'm well versed in what the electoral college is and how it works. And it's an inherently flawed system that is exploited at the Federal level every presidential election.

5Jack0

Mar 6, 2012
Somewhere out there
You saw the murder of Mr Floyd and you end up concluding that?

Protest and Riots are different.

Rioters may indeed be criminals. From right or left or indifferent. Surely there need to be arrests.

Protesting the police killings of handcuffed people is surely not something you'd be opposed to. Derek Chauvin is indeed a violent criminal and officers like him who rule by violence and corruption are indeed terrors to these neighborhoods.

You've got to be capable of making a distinction between a rioter and a protester.... right?

Protests and riots are different. Which one do you think is happening right now across the country? The cop who murdered George Floyd was fired from his job, arrested, and charged with murder within 4 days of the incident. For those asking for justice, that’s how the justice system works. Convict the scum, send him away for life, and cops like him should start to get the message.

winterwill

Apr 13, 2006
Bear Island
I'm well versed in what the electoral college is and how it works. And it's an inherently flawed system that is exploited at the Federal level every presidential election.

That wasn't mean specifically toward you. Your post was last in the chain.
Sorry if you thought it was.

How do you see it as being exploited at the federal level, tho?

Reactions: LSCII

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
One thing I would like to see is mandatory video cams for all law enforcement. To me that should offer a level of protection of officers and civilian people. Everything captured. If I was a cop I would want one.
And without the ability to ‘turn it off’ . If it goes dead a signal is sent as well as a visual or audible alarm.
It may not be an end all but to me it would be a step.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
While he can cry that CA will select the president every 8 years, it's simply not true. As a person that generally flows counter to the state he lives in, my vote for most Presidential elections during my voting eligibility, hasn't mattered. They typically give away MA's electoral votes with only 1% of the votes counted, because they know it's going to be overwhelmingly liberal. By definition, any vote counter to the liberal choice is irrelevant. Same with all the other hardcore red or blue states. So essentially, the president is selected by a small number of random swing votes in fringe states. And that's what's not really fair. Popular vote needs to happen to give everyone in this country the same voice when voting.

Exactly. In 2016, the difference was 200,000 voters in FL, WI, PA, MI (0.15% of the total voters). In 2012, it was 525,000 voters in FL, OH, VA, and CO (0.4% of the total voters). 2008 was a blowout, but it was still just 1,150,000 voters in NC, IN, FL, OH, VA, CO, and IA (0.9% of the total voters). In 2004, it was 135,000 voters in IA, NM, and OH (0.1% of total voters). In 2000, it was 500 voters in FL.

We all might as well just move to Ohio or Florida because those are the only two states whose votes seem to matter every election. We shouldn't be surprised that only 50-55% of the population votes in every presidential election when most know that their vote doesn't matter.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
That wasn't mean specifically toward you. Your post was last in the chain.
Sorry if you thought it was.

How do you see it as being exploited at the federal level, tho?

Ha! No worries, I didn't take any offense to your post. I was a history major in college, so I find it really interesting how it's been used and abused for political gain over the years.

The biggest way they play this game is via Gerrymandering. They go back and forth and redistrict random zones in a county every so often to make it more likely said swing state ends in a result they were looking for. And while that happens at the state level, it's easy to see the party and people at the Federal level being involved in the re-carving of the voting precincts. It's a little game they play and it's sickening.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Salem police captain suspended for inappropriate tweet - The Boston Globe

A Salem police captain has been placed on leave for sending a tweet Monday from the official department account that authorities later called “wildly inappropriate.”
In a statement Tuesday, Salem police Chief Mary E. Butler said the employee who sent the tweet, Captain Kate Stephens, immediately deleted the message.
However, a screen shot of the message showed it was addressed to Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh, with the author, now identified as Stephens, writing “@marty_walsh so you issued a permit for 10 of thousands of people to protest but I can’t go to a restaurant? You are ridiculous. You and Too Tall Deval are killing this State.”

Butler said Tuesday that Stephens has been “placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation to determine the facts and circumstances surrounding the incident.” Once the probe’s completed, Butler said, “a hearing, as required by Massachusetts Civil Service, will be held and a decision will be made as the appropriate disciplinary action to be taken.”

Such postings, Butler said, undermine “the public trust and confidence that we, as a Police Department, have worked so hard to achieve here in Salem. It is even more concerning that these comments come from someone in a leadership position within the Department. These comments are uncalled for at any time, but they are particularly egregious at this time when the public is questioning the fairness, equity and legitimacy of the police and their actions.”
The chief vowed that her officers will continue to patrol Salem with dedication.
“We in law enforcement are held to the highest standards of professional conduct,” Butler said. “However, as evidenced by the unauthorized tweet, we, at time, fail to meet those standards. Although I am disheartened that this incident occurred, it will not keep us from providing the highest quality of police service to our community.”

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Exactly. In 2016, the difference was 200,000 voters in FL, WI, PA, MI (0.15% of the total voters). In 2012, it was 525,000 voters in FL, OH, VA, and CO (0.4% of the total voters). 2008 was a blowout, but it was still just 1,150,000 voters in NC, IN, FL, OH, VA, CO, and IA (0.9% of the total voters). In 2004, it was 135,000 voters in IA, NM, and OH (0.1% of total voters). In 2000, it was 500 voters in FL.

We all might as well just move to Ohio or Florida because those are the only two states whose votes seem to matter every election. We shouldn't be surprised that only 50-55% of the population votes in every presidential election when most know that their vote doesn't matter.

That's exactly right, sadly. Why go out and vote if you know before you've even cast your ballot that it doesn't matter? Hard to get mad that so many people don't bother when so few votes actually count.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Perhaps. But I don’t want a country where California and New York select our President every 8 years.

This is such a myth.

California and New York had around 13 million Democratic votes in 2016. Out of around 127 million votes.

Even if every single one of the Top 10 cities in the United States voted 100% one way, that's still only 25 million people. In a country of 328 million.

But not everyone in a city votes the same way.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
You saw the murder of Mr Floyd and you end up concluding that?

Protest and Riots are different.

Rioters may indeed be criminals. From right or left or indifferent. Surely there need to be arrests.

Protesting the police killings of handcuffed people is surely not something you'd be opposed to. Derek Chauvin is indeed a violent criminal and officers like him who rule by violence and corruption are indeed terrors to these neighborhoods.

You've got to be capable of making a distinction between a rioter and a protester.... right?
I agree with all you wrote here, but.......will anyone hold the Peaceful Protesters accountable if there's a spike in Covid 19 cases over the next 2 weeks?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
All at the same time Trump and the minions are talking about Antifa...
Screenshot_20200529-154838_Twitter.jpg

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
That's exactly right, sadly. Why go out and vote if you know before you've even cast your ballot that it doesn't matter? Hard to get mad that so many people don't bother when so few votes actually count.
Yes, but there are also state and local elections at the same time as Presidential elections, so your vote does actually count, at least in some ways.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yes, but there are also state and local elections at the same time as Presidential elections, so your vote does actually count, at least in some ways.

Possibly in local or state elections, depending on the candidate. But not for the Presidential election.

winterwill

Apr 13, 2006
Bear Island
Ha! No worries, I didn't take any offense to your post. I was a history major in college, so I find it really interesting how it's been used and abused for political gain over the years.

The biggest way they play this game is via Gerrymandering. They go back and forth and redistrict random zones in a county every so often to make it more likely said swing state ends in a result they were looking for. And while that happens at the state level, it's easy to see the party and people at the Federal level being involved in the re-carving of the voting precincts. It's a little game they play and it's sickening.

OK. Cool. Don't want to make enemies of my fellow Bruins fans. =)

I agree gerrymandering can be a problem. Having honest politicians at the state level would go a long way to fix that, but honesty and politics don't go hand-in-hand very often, unfortunately.
Although, I don't see that so much as a problem with the system, especially considering how many states go "all-in" with their delegates.
Maybe in a state that splits it's delegates based on how the district voted you can make that case, but I don't see that as that big of a concern to scrap the whole system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad