All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part XX - CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
also definitely fair

we’re at a weird crossroads as country. Everybody is convinced the system is broken, they’re just convinced of it in different ways
Seems like every electoral system has some flaws that glaringly stand out.

Win two of Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal here and you’re well on your way to being in charge.

I don’t live near any of those places. Not sure how they’d know what my issues might be or if they truly even give a damn.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
yeah, that's way more problematic than empty land in Wyoming and South Dakota selecting the president

While he can cry that CA will select the president every 8 years, it's simply not true. As a person that generally flows counter to the state he lives in, my vote for most Presidential elections during my voting eligibility, hasn't mattered. They typically give away MA's electoral votes with only 1% of the votes counted, because they know it's going to be overwhelmingly liberal. By definition, any vote counter to the liberal choice is irrelevant. Same with all the other hardcore red or blue states. So essentially, the president is selected by a small number of random swing votes in fringe states. And that's what's not really fair. Popular vote needs to happen to give everyone in this country the same voice when voting.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
While he can cry that CA will select the president every 8 years, it's simply not true. As a person that generally flows counter to the state he lives in, my vote for most Presidential elections during my voting eligibility, hasn't mattered. They typically give away MA's electoral votes with only 1% of the votes counted, because they know it's going to be overwhelmingly liberal. By definition, any vote counter to the liberal choice is irrelevant. Same with all the other hardcore red or blue states. So essentially, the president is selected by a small number of random swing votes in fringe states. And that's what's not really fair. Popular vote needs to happen to give everyone in this country the same voice when voting.

Exactly. Even if you vote *with* a state that's overwhelmingly one color or the other, your vote essentially doesn't mean a thing in the end.

The only places votes have any weight is in the swing states, which gives a disproportionate amount of voting power to those swing states.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013

Is there any reform needed for the Senate and House voting process?

As an outsider, this seems like a real quirk in your process. On one hand, a party holding all 3 levels could seemingly accomplish a lot. On the other, it also allows them to go unchecked as the world has seen with this current regime.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

As an outsider, this seems like a real quirk in your process. On one hand, a party holding all 3 levels could seemingly accomplish a lot. On the other, it also allows them to go unchecked as the world has seen with this current regime.

I'm sure there is, especially when you consider most of those involved don't read the shit they're voting on. But the biggest single thing they can do to fix these issues that have been going on in Washington is term limits for the house and senate. Once someone gets in, it's really hard to get them out. There needs to be limits on all of those seats.

Reactions: Gee Wally

5Jack0

Mar 6, 2012
Somewhere out there
Are the rioters going to be labeled with the “ they have blood on their hands” stigma in 2 weeks when everyone starts dying from Covid again? Not withstanding the blood they already have on their hands from the people they’ve killed. I feel terrible for the honest hard working citizens of NY, their “ leadership “ has completely failed them. They unleash Covid into their parents care facilities, can barely be bothered to arrest violent criminals and if they do some celebrities will bail them out.All the while doing everything they can to try and disarm the law abiding citizens while terrorists destroy their city. Clown World

Reactions: LSCII

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I don’t know what it would take but I think that no matter what house votes on a bill that passes the other house must also vote on it. It should be mandatory. Regardless of what side of the aisle. At least the public would know who stands on what.
Otherwise why are any of them there?

also agree that there must be term limits.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Are the rioters going to be labeled with the “ they have blood on their hands” stigma in 2 weeks when everyone starts dying from Covid again? Not withstanding the blood they already have on their hands from the people they’ve killed. I feel terrible for the honest hard working citizens of NY, their “ leadership “ has completely failed them. They unleash Covid into their parents care facilities, can barely be bothered to arrest violent criminals and if they do some celebrities will bail them out.All the while doing everything they can to try and disarm the law abiding citizens while terrorists destroy their city. Clown World

You saw the murder of Mr Floyd and you end up concluding that?

Protest and Riots are different.

Rioters may indeed be criminals. From right or left or indifferent. Surely there need to be arrests.

Protesting the police killings of handcuffed people is surely not something you'd be opposed to. Derek Chauvin is indeed a violent criminal and officers like him who rule by violence and corruption are indeed terrors to these neighborhoods.

You've got to be capable of making a distinction between a rioter and a protester.... right?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Exactly. Even if you vote *with* a state that's overwhelmingly one color or the other, your vote essentially doesn't mean a thing in the end.

The only places votes have any weight is in the swing states, which gives a disproportionate amount of voting power to those swing states.

Yep. Sad but true.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I don’t know what it would take but I think that no matter what house votes on a bill that passes the other house must also vote on it. It should be mandatory. Regardless of what side of the aisle. At least the public would know who stands on what.
Otherwise why are any of them there?

also agree that there must be term limits.
Term limits would solve a lot of issues IMO. I've been saying it for year.

Term limits would force sides to work together. Term limits would prevent career politicians who are totally out of touch with modern society.

It needs to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad