OT: All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part X - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

member 96824

New CDC, NY Data Confirm Low COVID-19 Risk for Healthy Individuals | Coronavirus Bell Curve

“Get us all killed”. Have some actual facts to interrupt your daily orange man bad echo chamber.
With the initial estimates of1.5 to 2.2 million deaths from this, did Trump saves millions of lives? Or was this not as bad as it seems? Pick one

Just looked at your facts from this website coronavirusbellcurve.com. Some good data there but if we’re focused on facts and not “echo chambers” we should probably fill your post with a major disclosure, no?

“Low risk” = low risk of dying. Not contracting, not passing, not having serious complications..just low risk of losing their lives.

It shows that people under 44 make up the largest percentage of cases though. Found that interesting.

Maybe I’m wrong, but I have a sneaky suspicion you’re pretty familiar with echo chambers.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
This isn't a political thing for me though. I hate the idea of having my civil liberties taken away just as much as you.

But to me, it's the fact that you're putting your faith in people to do the right thing. They won't. People are stupid. People are selfish.

You might personally adhere to guidelines, but a great many don't, or flat out refuse to. Maybe I'm making a massive assumption here, but I'm going to go ahead and say that most of the people that choose to go to a beach right don't, fall into that category.

I have a 14 week old baby, who hasn't seen his grandparents in 6 weeks. He hasn't met all of his family or our friends. I'm not working because I was out of work prior to this happening

Trust me, I want nothing more than to be able to get out of the house and work, and see friends and family. But staying the course with this for the next few weeks is the best course of action in the long run, not opening f***ing beaches

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I`m not getting into the politics of everything but I get a very bad feeling about opening the country up as I am reading/hearing about in both the USA and Canada. I totally agree that at some point, relaxing some of the restrictions might be ok but my bigger problem is, far too many will see this and go hog wild. I already have numerous examples of people here in Victoria not taking this nearly as serious as they should have and that was smack dab in the middle of the Pandemic

As much as I enjoy working, if my boss at the restaurant called me and said she`s cranking the doors open again in say a week or so, I`d have to tell her hard pass on my end. I just believe if we relax restrictions, we might be back to where we were in February, with the virus spreading Part 2

I'm in the same business and I agree totally. If I was called back to work at this time it would a hard no for me too. I think arenas,movie theaters, restaurants and bars should be among the last businesses to reopen. There is just no way for these businesses to function safely in this present environment .

Reactions: Estlin

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm in the same business and I agree totally. If I was called back to work at this time it would a hard no for me too. I think arenas,movie theaters, restaurants and bars should be among the last businesses to reopen. There is just no way for these businesses to function safely in this present environment .
Many local restaurants ae doing take out/ delivery. This is good for everybody.

Reactions: hrdpuk

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This isn't a political thing for me though. I hate the idea of having my civil liberties taken away just as much as you.

But to me, it's the fact that you're putting your faith in people to do the right thing. They won't. People are stupid. People are selfish.

You might personally adhere to guidelines, but a great many don't, or flat out refuse to. Maybe I'm making a massive assumption here, but I'm going to go ahead and say that most of the people that choose to go to a beach right don't, fall into that category.

I have a 14 week old baby, who hasn't seen his grandparents in 6 weeks. He hasn't met all of his family or our friends. I'm not working because I was out of work prior to this happening

Trust me, I want nothing more than to be able to get out of the house and work, and see friends and family. But staying the course with this for the next few weeks is the best course of action in the long run, not opening f***ing beaches
Well obviously there’s lots of grey around this situation and people’s opinions are going to differ.

However, I would say that the one thing we know for sure is that even the “experts” that we need to trust right now, and the people who make policy, can’t agree on what’s right, and clearly don’t know all they need to know at this stage. Theyve proven that. So as average dummies in this country, I’m not sure how any of us can be certain that any action or inaction taken by these people is clearly “wrong”.

When Governor Baker starts to loosen restrictions in the coming weeks, will he be right to do it then because he was still cautious on April 19th? Or will it still be too soon? Truth is I’m not sure how any of us could know more than him at any point, so I’m wondering why we think we’d know more than the FL governor today? Just because the FL governor was wrong a few weeks ago? Should we go back and find all the times Baker has been wrong too?

Last edited:

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
Well obviously there’s lots of grey around this situation and people’s opinions are going to differ.

However, I would say that the one thing we know for sure is that even the “experts” that we need to trust right now, and the people who make policy, can’t agree on what’s right, and clearly don’t know all they need to know at this stage. Theyve proven that. So as average dummies in this country, I’m not sure how any of us can be certain that any action or inaction taken by these people is clearly “wrong”.
There are two things that are clear and haven't changed since this thing started: it's highly contagious and kills people. We also know that people can have it and not show any symptoms. That makes gathering with other people a really bad idea right now.

You make it sound like the experts don't know what they're doing and that we shouldn't listen to them. The reality is that scientists are still trying to figure this thing out and are doing the best they can to recommend action based on the current data, which changes day to day.

I think the biggest problem we face right now is lack of testing. There is a huge chunk of missing data that would help us understand the full scope of this virus. If we could test every human on the planet (including those of have died since this started), we'd have a really good picture of exactly how infectious and deadly it is.

Reactions: sooshii and hrdpuk

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

When Governor Baker starts to loosen restrictions in the coming weeks, will he be right to do it then because he was still cautious on April 19th? Or will it still be too soon? Truth is I’m not sure how any of us could know more than him at any point, so I’m wondering why we think we’d know more than the FL governor today? Just because the FL governor was wrong a few weeks ago? Should we go back and find all the times Baker has been wrong too?

I think how it rolls out is paramount. It has to happen. But needs a strong phased plan IMO.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

We know that this spreads, quite easily and quickly, person to person. People that are not partaking in proper social distancing are clearly wrong, forget all of the other recommended measures. That is a fact.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
We know that this spreads, quite easily and quickly, person to person. People that are not partaking in proper social distancing are clearly wrong, forget all of the other recommended measures. That is a fact.
I would agree. People do need to practice social distancing. But opening beaches shouldn’t change that.

The grey area obviously is that there are places where people are more easily tempted or inclined to get too close, but they don’t have to anymore than they do walking along the Charles River or in dog parks around my area. All of which are open and have plenty of people.

So again my point would be that officials in charge of these decisions have more to lose and access to the most info. I’m not sure how we are in a position to tell any of them in real time that they are “wrong” about their decisions, whatever they might be.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
There are two things that are clear and haven't changed since this thing started: it's highly contagious and kills people. We also know that people can have it and not show any symptoms. That makes gathering with other people a really bad idea right now.

You make it sound like the experts don't know what they're doing and that we shouldn't listen to them. The reality is that scientists are still trying to figure this thing out and are doing the best they can to recommend action based on the current data, which changes day to day.

I think the biggest problem we face right now is lack of testing. There is a huge chunk of missing data that would help us understand the full scope of this virus. If we could test every human on the planet (including those of have died since this started), we'd have a really good picture of exactly how infectious and deadly it is.
I think that’s actually the opposite of what I wrote. I was noting that the governors, virologists, etc are in constant contact and have access to the most recent data and expertise. And I don’t see how any of us are in a position to label them as “wrong” in real time.

17of26

Sep 9, 2008
I think that’s actually the opposite of what I wrote. I was noting that the governors, virologists, etc are in constant contact and have access to the most recent data and expertise. And I don’t see how any of us are in a position to label them as “wrong” in real time.
Sorry, I misunderstood you.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

imo I think where he (and I) are hung up is when you bring up this “gray area”. There really is no gray area...sure people can have a different opinion that it’s ok to congregate right now but they would be decidedly wrong

this is perhaps the most black and white situation of all time

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I would agree. People do need to practice social distancing. But opening beaches shouldn’t change that.

The grey area obviously is that there are places where people are more easily tempted or inclined to get too close, but they don’t have to anymore than they do walking along the Charles River or in dog parks around my area. All of which are open and have plenty of people.

So again my point would be that officials in charge of these decisions have more to lose and access to the most info. I’m not sure how we are in a position to tell any of them in real time that they are “wrong” about their decisions, whatever they might be.

I wouldn't exactly call it a grey area... that's downplaying the issue. There are a wide spectrum of people in this country, many intelligent and many not. The latter will absolutely pounce on any chance to exercise their 'freedoms' such as the idiotic college kids who just wanted to get drunk on a beach at the start of this.

Reactions: Bocephus86 and CDJ

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Maybe global warming will subside also.

Nature's way of dealing with the enemy, mankind.

saw this on line and it really spoke to me.

upload_2020-4-18_15-51-59.jpeg

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City

Yeah, about that: The planet's climate scorched in the first 3 months of 2020

"It's already likely that 2020 will end up as one of the warmest years on record. After an exceptionally warm January, NOAA says there's a 98 percent chance of 2020 becoming one of the top five warmest years ever recorded. What's more, there's not even expected to be an El Niño event this year, which is a large-scale warming of the equatorial Pacific Ocean — which adds warmth to the atmosphere.

"Even as the pandemic grips the globe, the climate crisis remains unrelenting, with recent record or near-record temperatures signaling the onset of what might turn out to be the warmest year ever without the extra warming boost of an El Niño," said Jon Overpeck, a climate scientist at the University of Michigan."

Reactions: Spooner st

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario

Not a chance - the scale has tipped on this one and a year or two is not going to make an iota of difference when glaciers are melting and oceans are warming up. Mother Nature will slap us all even harder than this in the next couple of decades. This hurricane season is supposed to be more active than usual, it will be salt in the wounds along the US coastline.

Reactions: Estlin

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yeah, about that: The planet's climate scorched in the first 3 months of 2020

"It's already likely that 2020 will end up as one of the warmest years on record. After an exceptionally warm January, NOAA says there's a 98 percent chance of 2020 becoming one of the top five warmest years ever recorded. What's more, there's not even expected to be an El Niño event this year, which is a large-scale warming of the equatorial Pacific Ocean — which adds warmth to the atmosphere.

"Even as the pandemic grips the globe, the climate crisis remains unrelenting, with recent record or near-record temperatures signaling the onset of what might turn out to be the warmest year ever without the extra warming boost of an El Niño," said Jon Overpeck, a climate scientist at the University of Michigan."

It was just a thought.

member 96824

Not a chance - the scale has tipped on this one and a year or two is not going to make an iota of difference when glaciers are melting and oceans are warming up. Mother Nature will slap us all even harder than this in the next couple of decades. This hurricane season is supposed to be more active than usual, it will be salt in the wounds along the US coastline.

I’m not worried about that. Little do you know all of today’s Facebook epidemiologists double as climatologists when they’re not on the steps of city hall practicing their expertise on constitutional law so we’ll be fine.

Reactions: missingchicklet

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
anyone elses hands look like this??
At nite i have to lather them with vasoline and sleep with rubber gloves.
This cold air isnt helping.
20200418_142752.jpg

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston

Did you completely ignore my other post about what happens when you open up destinations (like beaches)? People flock in from far & wide, where as parks/dog parks are wide spread and serve local communities due to their abundancy. No reason for me to drive even 20 minutes to a dog park, but plenty off people 'off beach' will drive to one if it's open since there isnt one every mile in land.

@CDJ & @PatriceBergeronFan re-addressed my point in a different way so I'll stop here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad