Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2020-4-21_16-38-32.png

This is a trying time for all of us no matter where you live.

Right now politics should be set aside. We all have government leaders at the Federal and State/Provincial levels telling us what we must do to get through this.

Adhere to the rules below regarding discussion that is political in nature or you will be warned and permanently removed from this series of threads.

Considering we are relaxing forum rules regarding political discussion, what steps "over the line" is completely at the discretion of the moderation team. Examples of what constitutes appropriate discourse are listed below. When in doubt, don't post it.

Do not wish harm or infection on members of the public, including the press, be it an individual or network/outlet/newspaper, etc.[/B]

It is becoming apparent that threadbans/infractions aren't enough for some people. The next step is a forum ban until hockey season starts.
We are going to follow similar rules for this thread that exist in the COVID-19 forum.

You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.

Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.

Examples:

Allowed: "Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the response was too little too late"

Not Allowed: "The only reason the response was so slow was to keep the stock prices high so he can get reelected"

Allowed: "The media is over-reporting this and it's going to make things worse"

Not Allowed: "The liberal media is over-reporting this because they're trying to bring down Trump"

Miracle cures, home remedies, and medical advice should not be posted.

Please add a link to any news story

Continued from

OT: - All Things Coronavirus Covid-19 - Part VIII - MOD ADVISORY POST 1

Coronavirus Dashboard

Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center

STAT Coronavirus Coverage — STAT

89623758_10220250846634048_664307170107457536_n-jpg.338111

Last edited:

Salem13

Feb 6, 2008
Salem,Mass
New Jersey's nursing home has 1% of the NJ population but 40% of the deaths due to this virus. The death numbers are understated, along with the testing positive numbers.

This gets scarier every day.

Where is the Mass National testing?

We hope for national testing but I doubt we will see anything until ... if there is one ... the next Covid/Sars/whathaveyou comes around.

For now testing is done for high risk and around identified clusters to stop the spread.

Equipment, training and mobilization on this scale is just nuts, especially during an active pandemic.

We need to get through this wave, build up our PPE and social habits and come back at it hard.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
@caz16 this is the research related to your video about mountain altitude vs Covid-19.

Doctors Suspect Mystery COVID-19 Lung Problems, Plea for New Approach - MedicineNet Health News

Proposing an 'Oxygen First' Strategy

Dr. Kyle-Sidell was influenced to treat his patients differently after reading Dr. Gattinoni's letter.

He described what he found in the letter was a description of two different types of patient with severe lung problems from COVID-19.

"If you think of the lungs as a balloon, typically when people have ARDS or pneumonia, the balloon gets thicker," Dr. Kyle-Sidell told Medscape. "So not only do you lack oxygen, but the pressure and the work to blow up the balloon becomes greater.

So one's respiratory muscles become tired as they struggle to breathe. And patients need pressure. What Gattinoni is saying is that there are essentially two different phenotypes, one in which the balloon is thicker. (But) imagine if the balloon is not actually thicker but thinner, so they'd suffer from a lack of oxygen. But it is not that they suffer from too much work to blow up the balloon."

In other words, some COVID-19 patients have little trouble "blowing up the balloon" of their lungs, yet still suffer from low oxygen.

For patients of COVID-19 who show these symptoms, Dr. Kyle-Sidell began to apply an "oxygen first" treatment method.

This means getting patients' blood-oxygen levels as high as possible, and doing so using the lowest air pressure possible, he said.

And for him, that meant stepping down from his role in the intensive care unit.

"These didn't fit the protocol, and the protocol is what the hospital runs on," he told Medscape. "We ran into an impasse where I could not morally, in a patient-doctor relationship, continue the current protocols which, again, are the protocols of the top hospitals in the country. I could not continue those. You can't have one doctor just doing their own protocol. So I had to step down."

The role switch may be good news for the doctor and his 'oxygen first' strategy; in his new emergency room role at Maimonides in Brooklyn, Dr. Kyle-Sidell is setting up to use a new ventilation strategy based on Dr. Gattinoni's latest recommendations.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The Governor of New York explained why he said he needed 40,000 ventilators to a Rochester radio station. He said I knew if I asked for 40,000 I would get 10,000 which is what I needed - If I had asked for 10,000 I would have gotten 2,500 and then we would have been in trouble.

I saw the clip on NBC this morning but it is not online yet but what he said makes sense.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There really is no defense for trump or his protesters at this point

Simply put they are a danger to this country. Sad that some people can’t see this simple fact. And that’s what it is, a fact. Sometimes it takes your grandmother dying I guess. Sad but is what it is

Hopefully the worst things in life happen to these protesting white trash morons.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
There really is no defense for trump or his protesters at this point

Simply put they are a danger to this country. Sad that some people can’t see this simple fact. And that’s what it is, a fact. Sometimes it takes your grandmother dying I guess. Sad but is what it is

Hopefully the worst things in life happen to these protesting white trash morons.
In the Twittersphere some are really twisting it. Somehow the Dems are blocking the help for the small businesses... not the 20 millions to franchises that had a profit of 42M. Among those wise decisions.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
@caz16 this is the research related to your video about mountain altitude vs Covid-19.

Doctors Suspect Mystery COVID-19 Lung Problems, Plea for New Approach - MedicineNet Health News

Proposing an 'Oxygen First' Strategy

Dr. Kyle-Sidell was influenced to treat his patients differently after reading Dr. Gattinoni's letter.

He described what he found in the letter was a description of two different types of patient with severe lung problems from COVID-19.

"If you think of the lungs as a balloon, typically when people have ARDS or pneumonia, the balloon gets thicker," Dr. Kyle-Sidell told Medscape. "So not only do you lack oxygen, but the pressure and the work to blow up the balloon becomes greater.

So one's respiratory muscles become tired as they struggle to breathe. And patients need pressure. What Gattinoni is saying is that there are essentially two different phenotypes, one in which the balloon is thicker. (But) imagine if the balloon is not actually thicker but thinner, so they'd suffer from a lack of oxygen. But it is not that they suffer from too much work to blow up the balloon."

In other words, some COVID-19 patients have little trouble "blowing up the balloon" of their lungs, yet still suffer from low oxygen.

For patients of COVID-19 who show these symptoms, Dr. Kyle-Sidell began to apply an "oxygen first" treatment method.

This means getting patients' blood-oxygen levels as high as possible, and doing so using the lowest air pressure possible, he said.

And for him, that meant stepping down from his role in the intensive care unit.

"These didn't fit the protocol, and the protocol is what the hospital runs on," he told Medscape. "We ran into an impasse where I could not morally, in a patient-doctor relationship, continue the current protocols which, again, are the protocols of the top hospitals in the country. I could not continue those. You can't have one doctor just doing their own protocol. So I had to step down."

The role switch may be good news for the doctor and his 'oxygen first' strategy; in his new emergency room role at Maimonides in Brooklyn, Dr. Kyle-Sidell is setting up to use a new ventilation strategy based on Dr. Gattinoni's latest recommendations.

Thank you for posting that. It is very interesting and I hope we get some follow-up on how it is working out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad