GDT: All things Baseball

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Anyone have any thoughts on what the odds are that the Carolinas get an MLB team in the next decade? Either relocation or expansion and whether it’s triangle are or Charlotte or other? Have never gotten into baseball but maybe could a little bit if we got a team at some point.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Anyone have any thoughts on what the odds are that the Carolinas get an MLB team in the next decade? Either relocation or expansion and whether it’s triangle are or Charlotte or other? Have never gotten into baseball but maybe could a little bit if we got a team at some point.

Switch the Rays and the Bulls. Add 20k seats to the DBAP. Done.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
Being from Cleveland I can tell you fans have hated the current owner since he took over the team. His perceived lack of spending has driven away a lot of butts in the seats. With the name change which did not go over well and the resurgence of the Browns it a good chance we hear that the Dolans move the club.

Which would be ironic because Jacob's field being built and the Indians being one of the best clubs in the 90's is a good part of why Model moved the Browns

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

It could happen but I wouldn't hold my breath. Unfortunately for me if it does happen it's likely going to be here which means I will be helping footing the bill for a stadium.

Being from Cleveland I can tell you fans have hated the current owner since he took over the team. His perceived lack of spending has driven away a lot of butts in the seats. With the name change which did not go over well and the resurgence of the Browns it a good chance we hear that the Dolans move the club.

Which would be ironic because Jacob's field being built and the Indians being one of the best clubs in the 90's is a good part of why Model moved the Browns

Isn't there some kind of state law to prevent such a thing from happening? I seem to remember fans of the MLS Crew referred to it during their save the Crew rallys when the franchise was on the verge of relocating to Austin.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
It could happen but I wouldn't hold my breath. Unfortunately for me if it does happen it's likely going to be here which means I will be helping footing the bill for a stadium.

Isn't there some kind of state law to prevent such a thing from happening? I seem to remember fans of the MLS Crew referred to it during their save the Crew rallys when the franchise was on the verge of relocating to Austin.

I dont live there anymore but that the first I've heard of it

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I'd rather other lucky recipients like Nashville and Montreal receive these teams personally. A team in NC will very likely end up in Charlotte which means my tax dollars will be used to help build a stadium, not terribly long after they were used to build the new Knights Stadium, and soon will be used for David Teppers toys.

I'm fine with MiLB here, but I'm prepared for MLB even though I think it wouldn't be any better here than Tampa or Miami.

Also for @Derailed75

The Columbus Crew has been saved

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
I'd rather other lucky recipients like Nashville and Montreal receive these teams personally. A team in NC will very likely end up in Charlotte which means my tax dollars will be used to help build a stadium, not terribly long after they were used to build the new Knights Stadium, and soon will be used for David Teppers toys.

I'm fine with MiLB here, but I'm prepared for MLB even though I think it wouldn't be any better here than Tampa or Miami.

Also for @Derailed75

The Columbus Crew has been saved

I'm by no means a lawyer but I dont know if that will apply. First The Jake was built with about 60% of the money coming from the owners at the time the Jacobs, secondly the remaining money was from tax payers but it was a 15 year tax. So the stadium is no longer supported by taxes in any way and originally less than half the cost was from tax dollars.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
I'm sure this will hold up!

upload_2021-4-8_4-20-55.png

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Me and some fellow vaccinated family members are going to an Orioles game next week. I'll be cheering on the Mariners though.

Reactions: surfzone365

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
cbs sports has projected wins in their standings - the al east is in exact reverse order of expected finish right now. i'm cool with that holding up.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
There's always 1 or 2 teams that seem to come out of nowhere, so that very well could be the Reds. They have a lot of talent so I wouldn't be surprised.

Either way I don't think it matters much, this is Dodgers or Yankees szn barring injuries IMO.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
a lot of people didn't like the reds offseason, but their offense was also pretty unsustainably unlucky last year. this is just reversion to the mean, i guess lol

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Glad baseball is back in full swing. Hoping the White Sox can live up to the hype after their active offseason, and hoping an almost 80 year old Tony LaRussa (why the Sox hired him I have no clue) can stay awake during most games.

I do like the Nationals since they are here in my backyard. It is the only Washington I can bring myself to root for. Fun venue to catch games with the boys, even if they are Caps fans.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Me and some fellow vaccinated family members are going to an Orioles game next week. I'll be cheering on the Mariners though.
Camden Yards is another great venue. Im not really an Orioles fan but I love going to the games. Crab cakes and Old Bay fries with a Natty Boh’ is as Maryland as it gets.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Camden Yards is another great venue. Im not really an Orioles fan but I love going to the games. Crab cakes and Old Bay fries with a Natty Boh’ is as Maryland as it gets.
Yeah, I've always liked going there. My aunt is an O's fan and we had a Sunday season ticket plan during the dark years around Tejada. The team sucked, but it was still fun. The food there is definitely solid most of the time. Nice to visit the harbor too sometimes.

Reactions: surfzone365

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Yeah, I've always liked going there. My aunt is an O's fan and we had a Sunday season ticket plan during the dark years around Tejada. The team sucked, but it was still fun. The food there is definitely solid most of the time. Nice to visit the harbor too sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad