GDT: All things Baseball

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Braves up 2-0 in the series allow 11 runs in the 1st inning. If they lose game 4 expect the Dodgers to take the series.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Braves up 2-0 in the series allow 11 runs in the 1st inning. When they lose game 4 expect the Dodgers to take the series.
Kershaw vs another rookie pitcher that can barely throw strikes and when he does, the pitches get creamed. Not liking our chances unless Kershaw has one of his postseason meltdowns.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I wouldn't say Kershaw had a meltdown but to be outpitched by a rookie who has looked bad more often than not in the big leagues, ooof. For the best pitcher of his generation he certainly leaves a lot to be desired with his postseason performances or lack thereof.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It took Atlanta having a handful of Hall of Fame players to win just one during their streak. They don't and probably won't have that type of talent on one team again so expect typical Georgia/Atlanta sports things out of them. Clown franchise if they choke this one away. Had two separate 2 game leads.

Reactions: Bunch of Jurcos

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Atlanta should get on the ball getting an NHL franchise back, this time with a Jeff Vinnik or a Mark Cuban as owner, or even a Dundon-type. They couldn't be any worse than the Falcons, or the Hawks who have to be the most mediocre franchise in a long line of mediocre North American sports franchises. They might be like the Braves and be underachievers but you can build a Stanley Cup contender through competent management, and hey we've seen it before you just gotta get in the playoffs and all bets are off.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Atlanta should get on the ball getting an NHL franchise back, this time with a Jeff Vinnik or a Mark Cuban as owner, or even a Dundon-type. They couldn't be any worse than the Falcons, or the Hawks who have to be the most mediocre franchise in a long line of mediocre North American sports franchises. They might be like the Braves and be underachievers but you can build a Stanley Cup contender through competent management, and hey we've seen it before you just gotta get in the playoffs and all bets are off.
They'd have to build their own arena, one they wouldn't share with the Hawks ownership otherwise the NHL will rightfully never go back. Since there's like .00001% of that happening, NHL hockey isn't happening in Atlanta again for several decades at least.

Reactions: cptjeff

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I guess I should have mentioned it as more as a fun thought since ATL sports are so terrible. I know it's pretty much a long shot.

That said, someone within the news media there did mention that State Farm Arena can still fit an NHL-sized rink and not lose any seating when they did their big renovation 2 years ago. They'd probably be better off in the 'Burbs since that's where most of the Hockey fans would be though.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Glad the Rays didn’t choke this away. Astros in the WS would have looked really bad for baseball
MLB deserves to look bad given their non-punishment. I was still low key hoping for an Astros win because I'm pretty sure the Braves will win the choke battle tomorrow allowing the Dodgers to advance. Astros-Dodgers would really reignite the conversation about how big of a joke the MLB and their lack of punishment is/was

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Also fun fact, the Carolina Hurricanes have the exact same number of championships as the city of Atlanta (not counting MLS).
Glad you didn't count the MLS because now that their soccer team sucks they have about as many fans as the Georgia State Panthers football team. Bandwagon team.

Not much difference from 1990s ECHL teams going from selling out their building in the first season or two because of the novelty to going bankrupt and having to move/fold a few seasons later. Only Arthur Blank is footing the bill for this endeavor.

Reactions: DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Sorry for all the Braves fans. My uncle is a Braves fan and I used to go to a fair number of games in Atlanta. I was rooting for them.

I do hope one day the Mariners get to the point where I can be so disgusted over an LCS loss and frequent trips to the playoffs.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I've mentioned this before. I remember watching at 7 y/o the night the Braves won the 1995 WS, and since then it's just been disappointment. I sort of fell off their wagon during the Gonzalez era and thought they would be f***ed from Coppolella, but to my surprise they broke through, only to disappoint in typical Braves fashion.

It was fun in the days of TBS because it felt "special" I guess that they had national appeal. Now I'm not even sure they have regional appeal anymore. Most baseball fans here are transplants who support the Cubs or Red Sox, a lot of the kids who grew up as Braves fans are kind of like me, still root for them but not die-hard anymore and/or their own kids don't care. My last trip to Atlanta the Braves didn't even get mentioned on the local sports talk radio shows, it was all Falcons and SEC Football. Oh well, such is life.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Sorry for all the Braves fans. My uncle is a Braves fan and I used to go to a fair number of games in Atlanta. I was rooting for them.

I do hope one day the Mariners get to the point where I can be so disgusted over an LCS loss and frequent trips to the playoffs.
I don’t know man it was arguably easier to be a Canes fan with no expectations in our drought than to watch my teams like the Panthers and Braves choke year after year. But hold up you’re a Canes, Mariners and Patriots fan? How does that even happen or am I confusing you with someone else

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don’t know man it was arguably easier to be a Canes fan with no expectations in our drought than to watch my teams like the Panthers and Braves choke year after year. But hold up you’re a Canes, Mariners and Patriots fan? How does that even happen or am I confusing you with someone else
I grew up in a part of VA where I wasn't particularly close to any sports teams. So I just chose based on weird things or circumstances at the time I became a fan of various sports.

I got into baseball first and became a Mariners fan because I loved Griffey.

I became a football fan next and chose the Patriots cause an older friend outgrew his Pats jerseys and I got free Bledsoe and Terry Glenn jerseys.

Finally, I was a casual Avs fan for a bit from a friend (still my #2 team). But around the second year of the Canes, when I was actually really wanting to get into the NHL, I got one of the NHL Faceoff games for PS1. I was so casual I didn't even know the Whalers had moved, but I instantly fell in love with the concept of the Canes and had been looking to connect to my birth state (born in NC, but lived most my life in VA).

From there I liked the NC thing and adopted Panthers as my #2, Blue Devils (honestly only because I saw they were on tv a lot, didn't know they were good), and Hornets the little I follow the NBA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad