All Things AHL Part IV

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Copley really won over my confidence these season in the A. He took strides to separate himself from Binnington. Oh well, I guess Washington saw the same in him.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Copley failed to progress after coming to the Blues from the Capitals and prospect Ville Husso passed him on the organization's pecking order. Husso is now the Blues' No. 3 goaltender.

The Post Dispatch should stop letting people with no hockey experience write about hockey like they know what they're talking about. Gordon's usually an exception, but that quote makes it pretty clear that he's oblivious.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
While I agree with your main point, this isn't a good example of it.

Copley is the guy who got called up when Allen was sitting on the toilet. Binnington going backwards is probably the biggest story out of the AHL goalies. Husso has done well, but he had not passed Copley, though he seemed poised to do so and has the higher upside.

The acquisition of Copley was confusing when it happened, it created a logjam of 3 AHL guys which was a disservice to all 3 of them, and looks even more ridiculous now that Copley was sent back to where he came from after finally starting to look like he had a future with this team. But the story that Husso had passed him and therefore Copley was jettisoned as a failed prospect is fallacious.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
15/16: 37gp, 15-16-3, 2.79GAA, .909sv%
16/17: 25gp, 15-6-2, 2.31GAA, .920sv%

... how is that not progress?

Maybe they didn't like how certain aspects of his game was developing. He didn't look to have good rebound control and that is an issue in the NHL. Stats aren't everything, especially in the minors.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I would say that Husso got himself on equal footing with Copley, since he is also 3 years younger, you could say that he passed him in the sense that he has a brighter future, and he's ahead on the development ladder.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Copley is the guy who got called up when Allen was sitting on the toilet. Binnington going backwards is probably the biggest story out of the AHL goalies. Husso has done well, but he had not passed Copley, though he seemed poised to do so and has the higher upside.

The acquisition of Copley was confusing when it happened, it created a logjam of 3 AHL guys which was a disservice to all 3 of them, and looks even more ridiculous now that Copley was sent back to where he came from after finally starting to look like he had a future with this team. But the story that Husso had passed him and therefore Copley was jettisoned as a failed prospect is fallacious.
Husso is playing roughly about the same as Copley on The NHL level. Copley will be available to Las Vegas in the Expansion Draft. They have to take one player from each team. The Blues have little chance to get rid of Jori Lehterä's bad contract, and get him out of the way. They MIGHT be able to entice Las Vegas to draft Lehterä now, if given some extra asset, where, otherwise they'd just draft Copley, to be their back-up NHL goaltender.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Husso is playing roughly about the same as Copley on The NHL level. Copley will be available to Las Vegas in the Expansion Draft. They have to take one player from each team. The Blues have little chance to get rid of Jori Lehterä's bad contract, and get him out of the way. They MIGHT be able to entice Las Vegas to draft Lehterä now, if given some extra asset, where, otherwise they'd just draft Copley, to be their back-up NHL goaltender.

It's an interesting idea, and it would explain why Armstrong thought it would be a good idea to trade Copley for Brad Malone...the only issue is that I believe Copley will be an UFA after this season.

Why would Vegas waste a draft pick on a player they could simply sign?

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I agree with all that. I wondered if that were part of the reason Armstrong pretty much gave awake Copley. He WANTS Vegas to draft someone in particular as a way to offload a bad contract. Sure seems that way anyway.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It's an interesting idea, and it would explain why Armstrong thought it would be a good idea to trade Copley for Brad Malone...the only issue is that I believe Copley will be an UFA after this season.

Why would Vegas waste a draft pick on a player they could simply sign?
If all that is so, why would Washington trade for him? Malone is worthless, too. Why would 2 NHL teams bother with that trade, at all?

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
If all that is so, why would Washington trade for him? Malone is worthless, too. Why would 2 NHL teams bother with that trade, at all?

Washington would trade for him because there is a very good chance that Grubauer is selected by Vegas, and they think Copley >/= their current 3rd goalie. The fact that Copley is a UFA after this season means that there is almost zero chance that Vegas would select him (especially when they could take Grubauer). Therefore, Copley can be re-signed by them to back up Holtby next season, assuming they think he is good enough, or at the very least compete for the spot. Plus they already know him well.

Now, why would the Blues trade for Malone? I honestly have no ****ing idea.

Last edited:

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Washington would trade for him because there is a very good chance that Grubauer is selected by Vegas, and they think Copley >/= their current 3rd goalie. The fact that Copley is a UFA after this season means that there is almost zero chance that Vegas would select him (especially when they could take Grubauer). Therefore, Copley can be re-signed by them to back up Holtby next season, assuming they think he is good enough, or at the very least compete for the spot. Plus they already know him well.

Now, why would the Blues trade for Malone? I honestly have no ****ing idea.
Washington, already having a good relationship with Copley, could have just signed him after losing Grubauer in the draft. Why give up an asset for him now? The trade makes no sense for EITHER team. It would have made more sense for Thew Blues to trade Binnington for a player who could actually help them in the future, or a draft choice.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Washington, already having a good relationship with Copley, could have just signed him after losing Grubauer in the draft. Why give up an asset for him now? The trade makes no sense for EITHER team. It would have made more sense for Thew Blues to trade Binnington for a player who could actually help them in the future, or a draft choice.

Ahh I see what you mean. Guess Washington wanted Copley for their AHL team this season/playoffs? :dunno:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think Finland recalled him for the impending invasion of Karelia.

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad