Prospect Info: "All Things AHL" Part III...

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Several close San Jose observers felt he was a borderline NHL player and were baffled at the ECHL assignment. It's not a trivial development that he is being released, and I don't think it's odd to be a bit surprised. There were indications that he was just in need of a fresh start...but the Blues are a defensive prospect group that is pretty tough to break into.

Exactly. Abeltshauser getting sent to the ECHL sounded more like a political thing at the time. ECHL for defensemen and goalies is not the same death sentence as it is for forwards anyways. I thought we robbed the Sharks when we signed this guy. Clearly... not so much.

Just goes to show how important mobility/speed are.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Several close San Jose observers felt he was a borderline NHL player and were baffled at the ECHL assignment. It's not a trivial development that he is being released, and I don't think it's odd to be a bit surprised. There were indications that he was just in need of a fresh start...but the Blues are a defensive prospect group that is pretty tough to break into.
Observers meaning fans? Yeah they can think what they want but management obviously thought he sucked enough to trade him for nothing.

He might have had potential at one point (and also has size) so they might have liked that, but I think I'll side with management, coaching and scouts over the fanbase on this one given how they handled him. If he was that close to being NHL ready, the Sharks of all teams - who could use another good defenseman - would not have moved him. Their defense outside their top 4 is pretty horrible, when you have the likes of Matt Tennyson and Dylan DeMelo playing (yeah, who?)

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Observers meaning fans? Yeah they can think what they want but management obviously thought he sucked enough to trade him for nothing.

He might have had potential at one point (and also has size) so they might have liked that, but I think I'll side with management, coaching and scouts over the fanbase on this one given how they handled him. If he was that close to being NHL ready, the Sharks of all teams - who could use another good defenseman - would not have moved him. Their defense outside their top 4 is pretty horrible, when you have the likes of Matt Tennyson and Dylan DeMelo playing (yeah, who?)

I seem to remember a lot of his scouting reports being mostly positive. A few press folks were surprised too, so it wasn't all fan speculation. There were some stories about there being some drama when he got sent down, I'm on my phone or else I'd hunt it down.

Nobody expected him to be the first call up, but to be outright waived, when *our* AHL depth isn't exactly impressive these days, was a little surprising.

I think the lesson in all of this is that it's extremely hard to assess defensive talent. Not a whole lot of stats that can help you out there, especially with junior/AHL-level players where you don't necessarly have any of the fancy stats that can be used to assess defensive talent in the NHL.

Anyways, good luck to Konrad, I hope he makes it somewhere. Seems to be a really good guy. Got a lot of press for taking part in team charity activities and stuff like that.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

You are free to dismiss the reports from the time of the trade. I'm not sure what motivates that agenda, but whatever. Why would the Blues even bother to acquire him if he was so hopeless?

Regardless, Things didn't go well for Konrad and his career in North America is probably over.

execwrite

May 4, 2002
Peekskill, NY
Visit site
Seems the Wolves aren't planning on getting any of the call-ups to St. Louis back soon.

WOLVES SIGN DANIELS, NIGHTINGALE AND CHOUINARD

January 17, 2016

The Chicago Wolves announced Sunday they have signed defensemen Drew Daniels, Jared Nightingale and Joel Chouinard to Professional Tryout Contracts (PTO). In addition, Wolves defenseman Andre Benoit has been reassigned to St. Louis (NHL) and defenseman Konrad Abeltshauser’s contract has been terminated.

Daniels, 26, has spent most of the 2015-16 season with the Fort Wayne Komets (ECHL), where he has notched 4 goals, 15 assists and a +13 plus/minus rating in 25 games. The Suffern, N.Y., native also made his American Hockey League debut this season as he appeared in three games for the Utica Comets.

Nightingale, 33, has produced 7 assists and a +6 plus/minus rating in 35 games for the Toledo Walleye (ECHL). This marks the Jackson, Mich., native’s second tour with the Wolves as he appeared in five games for the 2007-08 squad that captured the Calder Cup.

Chouinard, 25, owns 5 goals and 15 assists in 30 games for Toledo. The Sherbrooke, Quebec, native started his professional career in 2010-11 with the Lake Erie Monsters and has 15 goals and 31 assists in 167 AHL games.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This still makes very little sense to me unless we know we're trading a guy or two.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Do you have any input? I never expected Andre Benoit to even come close to the ice for the Blues. I fully regarded him as a Wolves player.

:laugh:

When I read that, I immediately thought of Lydia Rodarte-Quayle. She was a character on Breaking Bad who asked Mike to kill eleven men in prison by saying "I'd love to hear your input."

Anyway...

Benoit is well-known for his high hockey IQ and terrific passing, shot, vision. The knock on him is his skating. Kinda slow. Otherwise, he is very good.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
:laugh:

When I read that, I immediately thought of Lydia Rodarte-Quayle. She was a character on Breaking Bad who asked Mike to kill eleven men in prison by saying "I'd love to hear your input."

Anyway...

Benoit is well-known for his high hockey IQ and terrific passing, shot, vision. The knock on him is his skating. Kinda slow. Otherwise, he is very good.
I would agree with that assessment. He is a pretty solid AHL D and one I wouldn't mind filling in at times like these.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I would agree with that assessment. He is a pretty solid AHL D and one I wouldn't mind filling in at times like these.

Isn't he too slow to defend well on The NHL level? EVEN if there is a trade in the works that reduces The Blues' NHL single-contract defencemen by one, I don't think The Blues plan to use Benoit in an NHL game. He's probably just called up to be the scratched D-man for a game or 2 until Bouwmeester is ready and Bortuzzo returns (he's also been injured).

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Nope. He's still up.

Maybe Gunnar isn't going to be back as soon as we thought or Bouwmeester isn't going to be ready tomorrow.

Bertuzzo is out with lower body injury. It maybe just being unhappy with Butlers play and sending him a message.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad