All Teams Since 05-06 Lockout with 1 or Fewer Wins Through 8 Games and Season Results

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
How many of these teams had that much talent though... it's a really bad start, but if the team wakes up, it's not too late yet. Still 74 games to go.

RJ8812*

we'll be lucky to get a 1st for one of them. Doubt Simmonds or Hartnell (NMC and a brutal contract) are traded. Grossmann won't get traded either because by the time the trade deadline comes around, he'll be injured. We might be able to get one for Coburn, depending on how many teams are interested. Timonen will be on life support by the end of the season

flybynite77

Mar 1, 2003
Visit site
How many of these teams had that much talent though... it's a really bad start, but if the team wakes up, it's not too late yet. Still 74 games to go.

The 2005-2006 Flyers are on that list and definitely had talent. Gagne, Richards, Carter, Pitkanen, Umberger all 26 or younger.

Had 101 pts the season before and then 95 points the season after. 2005-2006 saw 56 points for the team. Moves Homer made definitely set the team up to rebound the following season with acquisitions made during the season and then in the off-season...but I still think on paper that team should have been at worst a 75-80 point team.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If you think you are getting 1sts for most of those players you are crazy

Historically players as crappy as Paul Gaustad fetch 1sts. GM's generally don't value them as much as fans do.

All of those players are capable of fetching a 1st.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Yeah, my post about obtaining firsts for all those players wasn't necessarily serious, but I think if GMs think their team has a real shot to contend, they'll do whatever to improve the team while they can. Like Garbage Goal said, 4th liner Paul Gaustad and a 4th round pick returned a first.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Teams are desperate at the deadline. If those players are available, I could see getting firsts for most, if not all of those players. They won't be high first rounders, because it will be teams looking for that final piece to the Stanley Cup puzzle, but you better believe teams would be interested in going after these players.

In my opinion those guys would probably be able to bring, in the right circumstances (ie all healthy, teams that can fit them, teams that need them, did not have a completely abysmal year):

Hartnell: If he is scoring at .45+ PPG by the deadline (so heading for around 40 points) and fit:

a low 1st... as a proven 45-55 points scorer (8 seasons) at the deadline, who still has years left in him the going rate is usually around a 1st + (mid prospect, 3rd-5th rounder).

But there are more strings attached with Hartnell due to the NMC, contract length and injury... (his contract itself is actually very fair now in the NHL compared to when he signed it), but still, I imagine a low first is what could probably be prised off a playoff team for him.

Gaustad and a 4th got a 1st round pick from a Nashville team desperate to go deep in the playoffs. People may say about him being a FA after, and the contract implications... but they resigned him to a bigger deal after the playoffs!

Coburn: a 1st... people may say that he was not worth a 2nd over summer, but teams pay up at the deadline once they know they could compete. Kyle Quincey got a 1st + at the deadline, and I imagine they are valued quite similarly around the league for the different aspects they bring as 3-4 D men. Coburn would not get a + though, as he is a year or two older, and maybe 500k overpaid.

Kimmo: I imagine a 2nd, as even though he is a UFA, proven player who a lot of teams will want they know they will effectively be blowing a 2nd round pick, (which no-one will probably be willing to do with a first) as most teams with the UFA and RFAs trade rights over summer for a similar pick if they don't intend to resign... but there is a very large chance Kimmo retires.

Grossmann: Similar to what we got him for... a 2nd + a later pick. Look at 4-5 d men at the deadline over the last few years... they almost always get 2nds + a later round pick. I doubt we get a 2nd + a 3rd though, more likely a 2nd + a 4th. People may say about his contract... but the Flyers only gave him a 250K increase after trading for him and resigning.

Mez: At the deadline probably a 6th, 7th or a conditional if they are lucky in perfect circumstances. Ie a team with D crisis/lack of depth.

kolankosf

Jul 5, 2013
Red Deer, Alberta
You know when you're playing the "Be A GM Mode" on NHL14/NHL13 , and you make all these trades to get some guys you want, to shake things up, clear cap space to go after a UFA or some guys want outrageous money. Then you realize you have no prospects ready to fill the holes, or draft picks, made bad trades and you've really screwed the team bad.... so you just start a new game?

Just wish Holmgren knew that you can't just open a new profile.

*Atleast we got a slew of prospects who could be ready in 2-3 years

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
we'll be last in the league for a while and then we'll get on a hot stretch for the last 10 games and wind up getting the 8th overall pick

Dirty but Good

but mostly dirty
Jan 26, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Seems like a relevant fact from NHL.com (full article here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=688353&navid=nhl:topheads )

Shows instead how teams that have scored 13 or fewer goals through 8 games over the past 40 years have fared in making the playoffs.

Also the fun fact: "Only one other team since 1970-71 has scored 11 goals or fewer in its first eight games (the Chicago Blackhawks in 1997-98), though the Flyers and the Buffalo Sabres did it this season."

So we are witnessing some historically bad offense right now.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
the flyers

have so,many good records and bad records, in the nhl history books. but look at things like this, after being down 3-0 in a 2010 playoff series v boston bruins, the flyers were one of how many teams to win that series in 7 games. not many what 2 or 3 in the history of the nhl. and with 71 games to go, its gonna be difficult to project how many wins and points this team will end up with. is thinking claude giroux has a pretty good chance of being right.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I think the important thing to consider right now is the fact that the Flyers are only 5 points out of a guaranteed playoff spot with 72 games to go. We could be looking at an entirely different situation in as little as three weeks (Flyers have 5 of the 9 games in that span against metro teams).

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Yeah, the Flyers chances aren't great, however, comparing this year to prior years is kind of moot with the new division set up. If they were in any other division in the league, I'd agree that the chances of coming back are almost non-existent, but there's not really a good team in the Metropolitan division outside of Pittsburgh and to a much lesser extent, the Islanders. They still have a lot of games against the Devils, Rangers, Blue Jackets, Hurricanes, and Capitals. If they can do very well in division play, they can get the third seed in the division.

Yes, definitely. I'm not optimistic that it happens anyways, but last time they snuck in the playoffs, they were two games away from winning it all. The Kings barely made it the year they won a cup. Not saying that this team compares to those teams, but I'd rather they get playoff experience and see what happens. I'd rather they not turn into a loser franchise and miss the playoffs in consecutive years if they don't have to.

I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we saw a team make the playoffs with the worst record since the beginning of the shootout this year. However, it's a bit disingenuous to say teams with 8 points in 7 games and 9 points in 8 games are on pace to only reach 83 points. They are on pace to reach 93 and 92 points respectively, however, that doesn't account for them playing each other. Furthermore, it's really way too early to extrapolate that far.

Best case scenario, they come back from this week break and get out of this offensive slump. If they can start scoring and keep playing the way they have defensively, they may not finish with much more than 90 points, but I think that they'd still be a dangerous team in the playoffs.

Worst case scenario, they do what they did last year.

Yeah, I can't disagree with any of that.

All of this talk about top 5 picks though is way premature at this point. I think this team has a better shot of making the playoffs than they do of picking top 5, unless they suffer massive amounts of injuries.

I think the most likely case scenario is they finish right around where they finished last year, unfortunately.

This guy, this guy is a stud. :sarcasm: But seriously, no one dig up by posts where I said they should trade Giroux. I also lose points for calling the Islanders a "good" team in the first post.

Doors

Jan 13, 2014
Sweden
here you go guys Ekblad playoffs mode, reminds me of Burns
863727ekblad.jpg

Funny that Weber on your avatar have the same facial expression as Ekblad on the pic, looks like they are brothers or something

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This team accomplished something remarkable, overcoming a lot of odds to get where they are. Though, it was still pretty stupid to keep Lavi on.

So much for the "Giroux is an awful captain" hypothesis, I guess?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Ha, I was going to post something along these lines. Count me as one who counted this team out. I usually have an optimistic outlook but with this start, even I thought they were toast.

This team reminds me a lot of the 2008 Phillies. Just saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad