All-star team selected by NHL coaches (1927 to 1941)

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I've updated this post with the 1932-33 and 1933-34 teams.

All-star team selected by NHL coaches (1927 to 1941)

Comments:

1932-33
The writers had John Ross Roach as their first-team all star goaltender, and Charlie Gardiner on the second team. The coaches didn't have Roach on either team, instead they had Gardiner on their first team and Roy Worters on their second team.

The writers and coaches agreed on their four defencemen.

Up front, the coaches preferred Howie Morenz at first team centre, and the writers preferred Frank Boucher. They agreed on the wing choices for both teams.

1933-34
The coaches actually rated Earl Seibert the highest of any defenceman, while the writers didn't place him on an all-star team at all. This high rating by the coaches matches his high finish in Hart voting, but for some reason the writers couldn't find room for him on their all-star teams. The coaches demoted King Clancy to a second team spot, and Ivan Johnson dropped to 5th and out of an all-star spot.

The coaches and writers had the same goaltenders and the same forward line on the first team. On the second team, the coaches preferred Larry Aurie at 2nd team RW and the writers preferred Bill Cook.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I actually may have 1941-1942 coaches/managers poll too (well only the selected teams), but I have it only in my notes. Don´t have access to Newspapers.com right now and haven´t seen it clip worthy. There apparently was two different coaches voting after that season. Other was given to British United Press writer and other to Jim Hendy. The result was the same. The voting method bit differesnt BUP only asked one team in which Brimsek, Hextall and Lynn Patrick were unanimous.

I can bring that Hendy´s poll later, but if someone have access to that site it can be found from Victoria Daily Times 28. March 1942 page 14

The BUP poll was published in Ottawa Journal few weeks earlier.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
It's a shame that they stopped doing those coaches/managers polls.

Yeah, it is.

I believe what happened was the NHL switched in 1946-47 to polling the coaches for their official end of year all-star teams. So there was no reason for Jim Hendy or anyone else to compile unofficial teams.

Then they discontinued the coaches voting after 1949-50 and went back to writers. There were financial bonuses attached to the official teams for many players, and while the coaches couldn’t vote for their own players, Dink Carroll of the Montreal Gazette wrote there was talk that some coaches were engaging in strategic voting by leaving a competitor to their own player off the ballot.

By that time Jim Hendy had moved on to operate the Cleveland Barons instead of writing, and nobody else appears to have taken up the unofficial coaches’ votes.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad