GDT: All Star Game

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I have only watched the first 2 games and i enjoyed it. Seeing great 8 and the kid play together like they did made this all star excellent to me. Format sucks and it would have been better had we had traditional 5 on 5 east vs west but it was still enjoyable for me.

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I have only watched the first 2 games and i enjoyed it. Seeing great 8 and the kid play together like they did made this all star excellent to me. Format sucks and it would have been better had we had traditional 5 on 5 east vs west but it was still enjoyable for me.
Somehow I forgot it was 3v3 until just before the game started. I was kinda bummed even though 3s is exciting.

Maybe I'm just too old school and miss the 90s All-Star games.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Tkachuk is the hometown guy.............except he's been there for 5 minutes, no NHL fan knows what city the Panthers actually play in, and few people in Southern Florida even know they have an NHL team.
You’ve been around for 9 years, how do you know so little about the NHL? No NHL fan? There’s fans from all over North America that come to Panther games, sooooo wrong.

The game’s grown here BECAUSE of the Panthers, so wrong again. I’ll let you research how it’s no in colleges, schools, more rinks than ever.
holy f***.

I wonder why the NHL is down 22%

Clearly because of the All-Star weekend?

Why do hockey fans whine so much? I don’t get it.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
This seems completely counterintuitive, but the league needs to go back to 5v5 for the ASG.

3v3 is BORING when the players are going at like 20% (if that). It’s slow. It’s also boring because individual skills get taken for granted; passes look easy, goals look easy. You actually get MORE potential for better plays 5v5 because a good pass looks better when it’s threaded through 3 players, a good goal is more exciting when a player has to beat 2 or 3 players to score.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I attended live in person (paid $299 for a last minute ticket on 8 rows from the glass) and the best thing about the afternoon was the live performance by Fall Out Boy lol.

The intensity of the game on-ice... was below a morning skate.

The arena, crowds, and facilities were great though. Mascots were having a blast entertaining and interacting closely with the crowd.

The Florida Panthers Dance team... uh... felt out of place.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Two things:
1) I understand giving the MVP to the local guy (Tkachuk) but Owen Nolan wasn’t given MVP when the ASG was at San Jose the first time SJ hosted. This was the game where Nolan “called” his shot on the way to a hat trick.
2) when ESPN interviewed Larkin after the game, behind him was someone holding a mic with Sky Sports and I’m just shocked a sports network in Britain would care about this non game! (Maybe they were there to see what Boehly was talking about saying the EPL should have a North versus South ASG!). :laugh:

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
I know ppl are blaming the league which is fair but certain players just love being corn balls. Pasternak, Marner and the Tkachucks are everything wrong with the modern NHL.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I attended live in person (paid $299 for a last minute ticket on 8 rows from the glass) and the best thing about the afternoon was the live performance by Fall Out Boy lol.

The intensity of the game on-ice... was below a morning skate.

The arena, crowds, and facilities were great though. Mascots were having a blast entertaining and interacting closely with the crowd.

The Florida Panthers Dance team... uh... felt out of place.
As long as you had a good time, that’s all that matters.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Guys shooting at swimboards and the golf course were funny. The fastest skater and the hardest shooter should always be there although both were a bit let downs this year. Just get rid of that stupid game.

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
Two things:
1) I understand giving the MVP to the local guy (Tkachuk) but Owen Nolan wasn’t given MVP when the ASG was at San Jose the first time SJ hosted. This was the game where Nolan “called” his shot on the way to a hat trick.
2) when ESPN interviewed Larkin after the game, behind him was someone holding a mic with Sky Sports and I’m just shocked a sports network in Britain would care about this non game! (Maybe they were there to see what Boehly was talking about saying the EPL should have a North versus South ASG!). :laugh:

The mvp was already voted on before nolan scored the 3 goal to complete the hat trick. The winner (recchi?) had also already scored a hat trick.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Two things:
Really weird coincidence that you brought up Owen Nolan, from Northern Ireland, and totally unrelated decades later… Sky Sports and British interest in the game.

One thing for sure though, they’re not making new fans from the ASG. They need to go back to 5 on 5 teal versus purple imo.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
The mvp was already voted on before nolan scored the 3 goal to complete the hat trick. The winner (recchi?) had also already scored a hat trick.
Dumb that they didn't wait a little longer to choose MVP because it looked weird that the LOCAL GUY - who scored a hat trick - didn't get the vote.
But whatevs, this is a meaningless "game". I wonder though if each member of the winning team keeps his share of the $1M or gives it to charity?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad