All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Jarvis, Morrow, 2023 1st, 2024 1st (no protections on picks), Suzuki for Pettersson

if that random report a few months back about him wanting out of Vancouver is true.

Holy Qualifying Offer, Batman!

SEASONCLAUSECAP HIT
Tooltip
AAV
Tooltip
P. BONUSES
Tooltip
S. BONUSES
Tooltip
BASE SALARY
Tooltip
TOTAL SALARY
Tooltip
MINORS SAL
Tooltip
2021-22$7,350,000$7,350,000$0$1,000,000$3,000,000$4,000,000$4,000,000
2022-23$7,350,000$7,350,000$0$0$7,800,000$7,800,000$7,800,000
2023-24$7,350,000$7,350,000$0$0$10,250,000$10,250,000$10,250,000
TOTAL$22,050,000$22,050,000$0$1,000,000$21,050,000$22,050,000$22,050,000

Actually $8.82M, he goes by the 120% rule.

Reactions: Chrispy

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
No. Can't say the same about this message board though.
You'd think we were #10 in the conference and desperate rather than #2 in the league second only to a team that's on pace to have the literal best regular season in NHL history. I'm confounded. I'd love to add, but if we do nothing, we're still absolutely elite.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
At this point, I'm halfway a fan of standing pat on any big deals and seeing what shakes loose in the offseason and at the draft.

I don't think the asset we need is available right now, we shouldn't waste assets to make a deal for the sake of dealing, and with everybody else loading up, the best way sometimes to win an arms race is to not run the race.

We're a good team. Plug the holes, acquire the depth guys we need, see what our money can buy us...and run it out. We can still compete for a Cup.

When something good shakes loose and everybody else is spent, we have assets to make our moves. If he tells 'peg to bugger off, maybe make a call on PLD?

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
You'd think we were #10 in the conference and desperate rather than #2 in the league second only to a team that's on pace to have the literal best regular season in NHL history. I'm confounded. I'd love to add, but if we do nothing, we're still absolutely elite.

Yeah but what about playoffs man!! PLAYOFFS!!

The way I'm looking at it is we're so used to playoffs now that we think we should somehow be entitled to a Cup run. I don't think it's that easy. Obviously. We may not have the team for it yet, but we certainly have some key pieces. Winning a Cup takes a lot more than adding some overpriced piece at the deadline. We could very easily go out and blow a bunch of prospects and draft picks on a player just to have one of our goalies get injured again and exit in the 1st or 2nd round. I just think you have to put some perspective on it, or you're just driving yourself crazy over what other teams are doing.

I doesn't mean I'm not a little frustrated about not landing one of the big names, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Hayton has primarily played 1C all season for Arizona.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz has been the top line.
I saw him win a draw last night, so I assumed he was taking right sided ones at least. I checked the logs and it shows him only taking one and losing it, when I saw him win the one I saw straight back so…

He was often covering in the middle as well defensively. He kills penalties too, he sent in Ghost for a shorty with a really nice pass. My bad if he hasn’t been playing there, but he does take draws on that right side, usually a couple a game.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
do you get the sense things are chaotic right now with the front office? Was Meier a gut punch or are they positioned to strike quickly because they have already identified players?

I think it could be a very simple explanation- they are just not willing to accept the pain necessary to load up at the deadline, and then are frustrated when they get beat out by other teams offers. And hey- it maybe Dundon is more interested in the financial aspects of having a perennial playoff team year in year out rather than rolling the dice on a big trade and have it potentially hobble the team going forward.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I get the front office’s reticence to make a trade that impairs future success but this may be the second TDL that they have been out maneuvered in the trade market while the team is in a cup window.

Our D is in their prime, goal tending is good (but unknown next year) and with Jersey and other young teams maturing it may be a short window for us to win the cup.

Having said that, if the current market ask is Jennott then it’s already too late to make a proper deal.

Still 5 days to go so not jumping off the ship yet…..

Cold water on Schmaltz:

Can’t listen right now….why not, thanks!

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
I saw him win a draw last night, so I assumed he was taking right sided ones at least. I checked the logs and it shows him only taking one and losing it, when I saw him win the one I saw straight back so…

He was often covering in the middle as well defensively. He kills penalties too, he sent in Ghost for a shorty with a really nice pass. My bad if he hasn’t been playing there, but he does take draws on that right side, usually a couple a game.
Arizona fans say that Schmaltz does play a Center type role offensively for that line. That he often is the one carrying the puck and dictating play.

Schmaltz is 2nd in goals over the past month with 10. Aho is 1st with 11. He has been playing well. I am not a huge fan of him being the big addition up front but he can work as an eventual Teravainen replacement.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Cold water on Schmaltz:

To summarize:

They have inquired about every big player on the market. Friedman thought they would want a right-shot D but he says they are happy with Chatfield. They will look for a left-shot.

He thinks Schmaltz is available. He thinks the Hurricanes have sent out signals that Schmaltz is not their target. One reason is the Cap situation which is excellent short-term but then it gets complicated up front with Staal, Aho, TT, Necas and Jarvis needing extensions soon.

He expects they want Necas and Jarvis to get re-signed this summer. He thinks there is concern that Schmaltz won't fit after next year. Out on Meier, not on Schmaltz, Carolina put together plans B and C while waiting on Meier.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Honestly I can't see anyone left that even helps us whos available.

We either step up or lose. At this point just take cap dumps for assets for the coming years / offseason whatever. You know you want to, just do it already

Reactions: chaz4hockey

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Honestly I can't see anyone left that even helps us whos available.

We either step up or lose. At this point just take cap dumps for assets for the coming years / offseason whatever. You know you want to, just do it already
There's not a lot of rentals out there that would help but there are players with term that could be available potentially.

Duchene, Reinhart, Ekholm, McCabe, etc.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think the real one to think about was Horvat... would he have been the right piece and would the borg have been OK with that contract extension. We likely could have beaten that offer from the Isles and it wouldn't have been too painful.

ROR chose his destination. No, he didn't have a NTC but the Blues were going to do right by him and send him where he wanted to go. He's an Ontario boy and his family is there so pretty clearly that was his choice and the Leafs also paid a big package.

Kane is choosing the Rangers so c'est la vie on that one.

Meier situation was always being funneled to NJ for whatever reason. Whether it was the GM's working together to make it happen or it was Meier's preferred destination, either way, it didn't seem like it was a truly open bidding process.

Tarasenko, we could have gotten as well but I think it was a bit of an overpay by NYR and not sure he is the right piece or would move the needle. He hasn't exactly started tearing it up in NY but time will tell.

Of the big boys on the rental market, Horvat probably was the one in terms of fit and price that we could have swung.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
To summarize:

They have inquired about every big player on the market. Friedman thought they would want a right-shot D but he says they are happy with Chatfield. They will look for a left-shot.

He thinks Schmaltz is available. He thinks the Hurricanes have sent out signals that Schmaltz is not their target. One reason is the Cap situation which is excellent short-term but then it gets complicated up front with Staal, Aho, TT, Necas and Jarvis needing extensions soon.

He expects they want Necas and Jarvis to get re-signed this summer. He thinks there is concern that Schmaltz won't fit after next year. Out on Meier, not on Schmaltz, Carolina put together plans B and C while waiting on Meier.
That’s why I struggled with Meier. 9+ for 8 years when we have everyone to sign still, just because we lost Patches this year didnt make sense. That’s why I thought if we make a longer term move it should be for a center. Not one that makes 9.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
yeah. Never wanted a rental but it is frustrating

It's only frustrating if you make it frustrating. Whatever they do (or don't do) is completely out of your control, so it's not worth getting worked up over.

Even if we do exactly nothing, the team has looked really good this year. We could use serious help on the PP, but I doubt any trade would improve that, because at this point, it seems like a mental thing.

Trading entire drafts for a player is exciting for deadline day, but not very practical. Especially considering two of the Lightning, Leafs, Rangers and Devils are going to be out in round 1, if the standings remain the same.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think the real one to think about was Horvat... would he have been the right piece and would the borg have been OK with that contract extension. We likely could have beaten that offer from the Isles and it wouldn't have been too painful.

ROR chose his destination. No, he didn't have a NTC but the Blues were going to do right by him and send him where he wanted to go. He's an Ontario boy and his family is there so pretty clearly that was his choice and the Leafs also paid a big package.

Kane is choosing the Rangers so c'est la vie on that one.

Meier situation was always being funneled to NJ for whatever reason. Whether it was the GM's working together to make it happen or it was Meier's preferred destination, either way, it didn't seem like it was a truly open bidding process.

Tarasenko, we could have gotten as well but I think it was a bit of an overpay by NYR and not sure he is the right piece or would move the needle. He hasn't exactly started tearing it up in NY but time will tell.

Of the big boys on the rental market, Horvat probably was the one in terms of fit and price that we could have swung.
Yup, Horvat was the one for me. This deadline felt dead for us/me after he got traded. He was the one guy that made some sense long term.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
With the other top contenders making significant adds, you have to add to keep up. The Canes have been great overall but they do have identifiable holes, several of which will get exploited in the playoffs. So they need to keep investigating trades.

Reactions: chaz4hockey

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It's only frustrating if you make it frustrating. Whatever they do (or don't do) is completely out of your control, so it's not worth getting worked up over.

Even if we do exactly nothing, the team has looked really good this year. We could use serious help on the PP, but I doubt any trade would improve that, because at this point, it seems like a mental thing.

Trading entire drafts for a player is exciting for deadline day, but not very practical. Especially considering two of the Lightning, Leafs, Rangers and Devils are going to be out in round 1, if the standings remain the same.

That's the crazy part. What the last few days actually does is make the rest of the regular season that much more interesting again. "If the standings remain the same" is now even more critical than it was before. Wild card + winner of Rangers/Devils (after they beat each other up) is a much different path than Rangers and then Devils. Either way winning in the playoffs is tough but now winning the division is even more important than it was on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad