All Purpose Trade/Roster Building Thread XIII - the 23 deadline approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Seems like today or tomorrow would be the day(s) to get something done with no scheduled games til Wednesday and the market already drying up.

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I keep coming back to Florida mentally as well. Cap crunch, could be looking to shed some salary.

We’ve talked about Bennett ($4.425M AAV through 2025) but I’m more intrigued by Reinhart: signed through 2024, Florida might be relieved to get 6.5M off their cap, and he’s more of that offensive threat Carolina needs.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Schmaltz makes a lot more sense than Miller. Most fans say Miller is better at wing to start with, despite the ability to play center. Miller just signed the ufa contract we don’t sign.

Schmaltz is a pretty dynamic forward who’s nearly a ppg as the number one center on a bad team. He’s absolutely got the skill and enough all around game to be our 2C, and the contract is great. Hes a great skater with quick hands, he’s very similar to Aho, TT, and Necas. He’s going to play in our system, and perceived rough edged would be smoothed out.

The questions are will Rod want him as a center and are we looking for a more different player than what we have? I like Garland to be honest and think he’d fit, this guy is similar and imo a pretty big step forward from there. Rod likes strong centers and this guy isn’t, he’s smaller plus smart and quick. The faceoffs matter of course but there maybe could be something done there.

All I’m saying is that I’ve seen some negative conversation about this guy, and I’ve watched a couple of games and he’d be a very good fit. He’s no product of Keller. He’d skilled enough to play off Keller, who gets pts just as much in the other direction thanks to Schmaltz. He’d generally be a good addition at any time. Two seasons of nearly ppg when used as the top center? My biggest question is the health. He misses a lot of games.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Schmaltz makes a lot more sense than Miller. Most fans say Miller is better at wing to start with, despite the ability to play center. Miller just signed the ufa contract we don’t sign.

Schmaltz is a pretty dynamic forward who’s nearly a ppg as the number one center on a bad team. He’s absolutely got the skill and enough all around game to be our 2C, and the contract is great. Hes a great skater with quick hands, he’s very similar to Aho, TT, and Necas. He’s going to play in our system, and perceived rough edged would be smoothed out.

The questions are will Rod want him as a center and are we looking for a more different player than what we have? I like Garland to be honest and think he’d fit, this guy is similar and imo a pretty big step forward from there. Rod likes strong centers and this guy isn’t, he’s smaller plus smart and quick. The faceoffs matter of course but there maybe could be something done there.

All I’m saying is that I’ve seen some negative conversation about this guy, and I’ve watched a couple of games and he’d be a very good fit. He’s no product of Keller. He’d skilled enough to play off Keller, who gets pts just as much in the other direction thanks to Schmaltz. He’d generally be a good addition at any time. Two seasons of nearly ppg when used as the top center? My biggest question is the health. He misses a lot of games.
Hayton has primarily played 1C all season for Arizona.

Keller-Hayton-Schmaltz has been the top line.

Reactions: DaveG

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
we're 2nd in the league, top 5 in scoring and top 10 in PP since black friday, but the sky is falling? oh the narratives are good.

Irrelevant. The Canes playoff opponents are trading to get better, the Canes are not. It's a very simple equation. So yes, the sky is falling. Unless fixation on statistics is your thing, other than say, winning the cup.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

I wouldn't hate Schmaltz, but I think he would just be more of the same of what we already have. That's not necessarily bad, but for an offense that tends to go very hot and very cold, I would prefer someone who can create their own shot a bit more in hopes they can actively pull us out of those periodic funks.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
I wouldn't hate Schmaltz, but I think he would just be more of the same of what we already have. That's not necessarily bad, but for an offense that tends to go very hot and very cold, I would prefer someone who can create their own shot a bit more in hopes they can actively pull us out of those periodic funks.
do you get the sense things are chaotic right now with the front office? Was Meier a gut punch or are they positioned to strike quickly because they have already identified players?

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022

Schmaltz has 82 total faceoffs this year and he is rocking 40%. Arizona fans have said that he is absolutely not a Center. Too bad defensively and too bad at faceoffs.

Schmaltz is just Teravainen trading playmaking for goal scoring. Schmaltz has the same number of hits this year in 5v5 play (4) as Johnny Gaudreau. And Max Pacioretty in his 2 games.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Think someone said it before-acquiring Schmaltz makes it a heck of a lot easier to let Teravainen walk or even trade him next year. That would hold true regardless if Schmaltz played C or wing.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
do you get the sense things are chaotic right now with the front office? Was Meier a gut punch or are they positioned to strike quickly because they have already identified players?
Don't know anything definitive, but I do know we had put in a strong offer last weekend and SJ had been sitting on it. On Friday, the front office was frustrated nothing had been done and on Saturday Waddell was visibly pissed off during the game.

Piecing things together, SJ sat on our offer, shopped it back to NJ and then actively negotiated their deal with the Devils while keeping us on hold only to not let us counter in the end.

SlavinAway

Registered Jerk
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2017
Has there been anything out of STL saying Buchnevich wouldn't be moved? I know there was some discussion about it at one point but it seems to have died off.

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
With the cap space and all I get people are upset right now. But you have to remember that necessarily even David Copperfield wouldn't be able to pull a blockbuster trade out of rabbits ass given the circumstances. To be able to make a team significantly better via trade, needs favourable conditions. The league is more or less an inbred market. I bet there have been contingency plans, but it could have been Horvat or someone other traded already.

It's not like this is the last season of this core. Maybe this coming offseason we get better. I just hope they don't do anything stupid lol.

But what do I know. I don't get paid to run a hockey team.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
They are always discussing players and identifying targets.

Just because they were focused on Meier does not mean they were ignoring other potential deadline targets. Not only is that a ridiculous assertion, it goes against the entire history of this leadership group.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
They are always discussing players and identifying targets.

Just because they were focused on Meier does not mean they were ignoring other potential deadline targets. Not only is that a ridiculous assertion, it goes against the entire history of this leadership group.
Yep, we have plans B through F already identified and will just move on to the next one.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
With Nashville being in sell mode I’d like the Canes to take a run at Duchene. 3 more years after this one at $8m. Real money is less in years 2 and 3 and his M-NTC kicks in after this year. So if Nashville does want to rebuild and move money without being handcuffed then now is the time to do it. Especially since RyJo won’t going anywhere.

Dante Fabbro is another name that has been floated out there by the media as well. With Toronto, Boston, NJ, and NYR all loading up we have to do something.

Need that impact forward for sure but also looks at Boston’s back end now with Orlov. They are air tight. I really like our D core but if we want to go toe to toe we might need to make an addition back there too.

The speculation is that the defense market is a bit flooded and talent can be had for much less than forwards right now.
will Nashville continue to sell assets? I think so and would advocate for pursuing Duchene. the contract is ugly from a cap standpoint but actual salary starts to go down after next season. I originally floated Duchene and Jeannot for pick and jarvis. we now know Jarvis is not going anywhere so perhaps you float Morrow, Drury, 1st and 2nd for Duchene and Edholm. I have no idea about the comp and amount of salary retainage we would require. Edholm is a pending FA but you get a chance to evaluate him and make a trade in the summer involving a D man if Edholm is resigned. Duchene becomes 1RW and allows for Jarvis to move down for the playoffs.

This is the type of trade Carolina likes to do. Unfortunately, the comp will be very expensive unless Canes take on 100% of Duchene's contract. Nashville continues to reload with draft picks and prospects.

Yep, we have plans B through F already identified and will just move on to the next one.
that's what I thought. thanks for the perspective.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
He is not ideal but he would be another RHS in the top 6 and on the PP. He is an excellent skater, puck handler and playmaker and can create his own shot. Not as high-end as Necas's but he has a quick release one-timer after creating space for himself. He is not bad defensively but he is clearly bad on draws and another small, non-physical wing.

Anderson is paid to be a big bodied goal scorer, which he is. Getting assists isnt his game
Sorry but why do you always seem to embrace flawed guys like this in lieu of proposed deals that have KK going the other way? Hmmm.

moses malone 12

Oct 19, 2020
will Nashville continue to sell assets? I think so and would advocate for pursuing Duchene. the contract is ugly from a cap standpoint but actual salary starts to go down after next season. I originally floated Duchene and Jeannot for pick and jarvis. we now know Jarvis is not going anywhere so perhaps you float Morrow, Drury, 1st and 2nd for Duchene and Edholm. I have no idea about the comp and amount of salary retainage we would require. Edholm is a pending FA but you get a chance to evaluate him and make a trade in the summer involving a D man if Edholm is resigned. Duchene becomes 1RW and allows for Jarvis to move down for the playoffs.

This is the type of trade Carolina likes to do. Unfortunately, the comp will be very expensive unless Canes take on 100% of Duchene's contract. Nashville continues to reload with draft picks and prospects.

that's what I thought. thanks for the perspective.
correction. Ekholm is not pending FA. first year of a four year contract I believe.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Here was my list:

**&&*****&*wet blanket disclaimer...yes the odds on some of these are less than 1% but you need to ask.

*Larkin- less and less likely as Detroit is competing
*Duchene retained - Nashville is selling...no clue if they'd entertain a trade
*Reinhart - does Florida want any picks or to shed salary?
*EP - the send out the whole farm nothing is off the table if Vancouver is Willing to move him. Jarvis + Nishkinin +

*Gavrikov - after being spurned and Orlov being more affordable and better does CBJ lower their price?

*Saros - is Askarov near ready?

*Crouse - we need a big boy who is a load.
*Tom Wilson - Caps see the writing on the wall. They just need Backstom and Carlson to help Ovi record chase on the pp.

**if we strike out on anything exciting does Edm pay us to take Poolparty and we see if he'd be a fit in the bottom 6.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
On Chychrun - could they even beat out a team offering 2 1sts and a prospect? I hope they wouldn’t unless they’re getting Schmaltz too without adding something ridiculous (which it probably would take).

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Jarvis, Morrow, 2023 1st, 2024 1st (no protections on picks), Suzuki for Pettersson

if that random report a few months back about him wanting out of Vancouver is true.

Reactions: Sigurd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad