All purpose trade / roster building thread part 2, the push for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
For next year consider if the 2C options are:
A) Player who scored 7 goals/22 points in 50 games the first season he played more than 1/2 an NHL season;
B) Player who scored 10 goals/25 points in 73 games the first season he played more than 1/2 an NHL season;
C) Player who scored 3 goals/5 points in 31 games in first two NHL partial seasons;
D) Player who scored 9 goals/29 points in 67 games in first NHL season;
E) Player who scored 6 goals/19 points in 53 games in first season he played more than 1/2 and NHL season.

A) Trocheck; B) Backlund; C) Nielsen; D) Plekanec; E) Wallmark.

And according to Hockeyviz, Wallmark increases the "threat" the Canes create by 20% when he is on the ice and reduces the threat they face by 10%.

Wallmark is a rookie. I will be the first to admit he isn't likely to score more than 20 goals, but I definitely think he has the potential to be a 15g/35a center. That is trading goals for assists but with the same overall production as Henrique. I have thought this since seeing him be the best player in Charlotte last season. And various analytic sites support the idea that he is significantly better than a 4th liner. I understand the desire for more production now. But I don't understand the thought that Wallmark shouldn't be considered a long-range decent 2C. His production is quite similar to others who have seen significant increases in production their second full season and beyond.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
For next year consider if the 2C options are:
A) Player who scored 7 goals/22 points in 50 games the first season he played more than 1/2 an NHL season;
B) Player who scored 10 goals/25 points in 73 games the first season he played more than 1/2 an NHL season;
C) Player who scored 3 goals/5 points in 31 games in first two NHL partial seasons;
D) Player who scored 9 goals/29 points in 67 games in first NHL season;
E) Player who scored 6 goals/19 points in 53 games in first season he played more than 1/2 and NHL season.

A) Trocheck; B) Backlund; C) Nielsen; D) Plekanec; E) Wallmark.

And according to Hockeyviz, Wallmark increases the "threat" the Canes create by 20% when he is on the ice and reduces the threat they face by 10%.

Wallmark is a rookie. I will be the first to admit he isn't likely to score more than 20 goals, but I definitely think he has the potential to be a 15g/35a center. That is trading goals for assists but with the same overall production as Henrique. I have thought this since seeing him be the best player in Charlotte last season. And various analytic sites support the idea that he is significantly better than a 4th liner. I understand the desire for more production now. But I don't understand the thought that Wallmark shouldn't be considered a long-range decent 2C. His production is quite similar to others who have seen significant increases in production their second full season and beyond.

I made this exact argument a few days ago, so I agree with you. But none of those guys played those early career games at 2C. They all broke in lower in the lineup. I have no problem with being patient for Wallmark and giving him a chance to grow into a 2C with his floor being a very good 4C. But he isn't a 2C now, and we badly need one.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
"So, we should trade Ferland for futures, which we then flip for a guy like Ferland, who we now desperately need since we traded Ferland."

Futures are like a mystery box. Futures could be anything. It could be another Ferland.

I mean, yeah. Trade Ferland, then use his return plus the abundance of picks and prospects we already have, to get a player that both a) will help with the playoff push, and b) won't walk away for nothing at seasons end.

The Canes can't afford to just let talented players walk. Especially not after they gave away even more talented, younger players to begin with. That's Milbury level, franchise crippling, waste of the last 5 years building mismanagement.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Not much available centers at the moment, that's the problem. Blues fightning for playoff position suddenly, you can cross Schenn of the list. Duchene is way to cheap. Predators won't let Turris go. Henrique is not that bad though he's signed with meh contract, probably is better at LW. Janmark is interesting but he's bottom six speedster playing as a wing in last two seasons. Hayes is UFA at the end of the season, worth a lot.

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
In Toronto board, there was a table that I found kind of interesting:

"coming into this year, here's the most points scored at age 20-21 in the previous decade:

1.McDavid 208
2.Stamkos 188
3.Tavares 148
4.Draisaitl 128
5.Forsberg 127
6.Monahan 125
7.Ehlers 124
8.Nylander 122
9.Rantanen 122
10.Eichel 121"

Aho is at this point in 125 points. Marner is going to be high in the list. Just thinking, when some people still think that asking over 8 M is overpaying. I hoe and think that he wants to construct winning team and is willing to give some amount of team friendliness, but 8M would mean a lot of that.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
I'm keeping an eye on Johansson, if the rest of the month goes well. He's a player that will likely slip through the cracks in a deep market; he should come at a modest cost. The FO can sell itself on plug-and-play chemistry with his former Washington linemate Williams.
MoJo getting overlooked because there's some good option but he's probably one of the cheapest target around here. I think we could resign him for good price eventually (UFA in the summer). After all he miss most of the last season, doesn't produce that much this.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
But he isn't a 2C now, and we badly need one.
Even on that point I am on the fence. I don't think Pittsburgh, or Vegas would argue that the Canes don't have the players they need. Even in both Calgary games the lineup was competitive. If you consider the NYR and Ottawa games, the truth is players like Aho, Slavin, Svechnikov didn't play well. Plus, while it is often not a concern, there is the chemistry thing--think Eric Staal in NY three seasons ago. I want the Canes to make the playoffs as much as anyone. I just am not as discouraged by what Wallmark in particular and the current lineup in general offers.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Apropos of nothing, if you were Ottawa’s GM and had a choice between extending Duchene or Stone for 8 years and the numbers were close enough to not be an important factor - who would you extend? Interested to see the opinions.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Looks like Aho switched agents to Gerry Johansson who also represents pending RFA Brayden Point:

Per The Athletic:
How the Matthews deal shifts the market for the next group...
(on Matthews deal)“That’s an interesting deal for everybody,” said The Sports Corporation CEO Gerry Johannson, who represents two prominent 2019 restricted free agents in Carolina’s Sebastian Aho and Tampa Bay’s Brayden Point. “This really does raise the bar in a significant way for the shorter term deal, which is a real benefit for the team and the player. Now, it’s on the table. It’s an option we can use, the teams can use. It’s just another option that is helpful for everybody.”
“They’re in the middle of it with trying to win a Cup,” Johannson said of putting Point talks on hold. “We have a good rapport with (Lightning GM) Julien (Brisebois). We have lots of time. … Same with Aho. They’re in a playoff push. We’re just going to leave it until after the season.

Overall sounds encouraging as far as agent-player-team relations go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad