Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Watching Alcaraz is like watching a future king in waiting. And the wait may be shorter then we think.

Never mind a future slam winner; he looks like a generational talent.

Gonna be hard for me to top the predictions/bets I made last year regarding Alcaraz so no big early 2023 prognostications. That said I'm most looking forward to the following storylines:

1) Who is now the best player in the world - Carlos or Novak?
2) Does Nadal have one more French Open in him?
3) Will anyone else amongst the next (or is it next-next) gen win their first major?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Alcaraz withdraws from Australia with an injury. That actually lessens the potential seeding dilemma that the AO faces this year, what with Nole currently at #5, Medvedev at #8 and Zverev at #13. Bad news in every other way, though.

Reactions: Say Hey Kid

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In maybe the first important match-up of the year, Nole has a surprisingly easy time against Daniil, 3 and 4. It was a dominant performance in which Novak dictated points and pinned Medvedev deep on the baseline with great depth. Outside of an effective first serve, Daniil seemed at a loss how to counter.

Briefly the universe seemed to move over six inches to the left when Nole appeared to pull a thigh muscle that required a full medical time out. But it turned out to be nothing momentous after all. Indeed, Daniil was less than impressed, even mocking Nole's movement a little near the end of the match. Since his lost to Medvedev in the finals of the US Open in 2021, Nole has now won four straight matches against Daniil.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
In maybe the first important match-up of the year, Nole has a surprisingly easy time against Daniil, 3 and 4. It was a dominant performance in which Novak dictated points and pinned Medvedev deep on the baseline with great depth. Outside of an effective first serve, Daniil seemed at a loss how to counter.

Briefly the universe seemed to move over six inches to the left when Nole appeared to pull a thigh muscle that required a full medical time out. But it turned out to be nothing momentous after all. Indeed, Daniil was less than impressed, even mocking Nole's movement a little near the end of the match. Since his lost to Medvedev in the finals of the US Open in 2021, Nole has now won four straight matches against Daniil.
Why do athletes do things like that? It only makes the person being mocked more motivated.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Why do athletes do things like that? It only makes the person being mocked more motivated.
I think, in general, that athletes are pretty good at knowing when other athletes are styling it a bit. The temptation is to get annoyed and show the perpetrator up a little. It's not the first time Nole has played possum a tad. Djokovic was firmly in control of the match, so motivation wasn't a concern. Daniil was just making his little point. Boys will be boys.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Draper/Khachanov just ripping the ball.

Draper got tight serving for it at 5-4, but did well finishing it in the breaker.

Should be a big year for him if he can stay healthy, which is a big if.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
New Davis Cup format is gone !
The 3 billion, 25 year deal with Gerard Pique's Kosmos Group is gone. It was a ridiculous amount of money to throw at a new format, so no surprise that the Kosmos Group threw in the towel after a few years. Hopefully, the old format will be brought back because it is a unique competition.

Is there some insight here about selling your soul for money? Maybe, but 3 billion is a lot of money,

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Kwon over RBA in three sets in Adelaide; Gasquet in three sets over Norrie in Auckland. Both matches were absolute beauties, like watching chess from the baseline.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Absolutely fabulous idea for Wimbledon.

Only thing that would be better would be if doubles matches were reduced to a single set or, better, best two of three games to be played somewhere in the Scottish Highlands with results conferred to the general public exclusively by elderly carrier pigeons.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Top Dozen reasons why Nole is the best ever:

Tied with Rafa at 22 GS titles
Most weeks at #1 and counting: 374 (set to beat Graf's record of 377 shortly)
HIghest winning percentage of matches, men: 83.29%
Career winning records over Federer and Nadal
Most Masters titles: 38
Only player to win all 9 of the Masters titles and he has done it twice (two away, Monte Carlo and Cincy, from making it three times)
Most year-end #1 ranking: 7
All-time record GS finals: 33
He has made the finals in each GS tournament at least six times, a record
Most GS titles after 30 years of age; 10
Only male player to win two different GSs seven of more times
He is a French Open win away from winning each GSs at least three times

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
ATP finally completed its investigation of Zverev abuse claims. The organization found "insufficient evidence" to discipline Zverev.

Oct 18, 2006
Andreescu currently playing WTA 250 tournament in Thailand. Took a WC and is the top seed. She is currently leading 3-1 and should she win, she faces Marta Kostyuk.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Hearing Djokovic will not be able to play Indian Wells or Miami, but WILL be able to play the US Open this year.

He's still divisive to many, but he's also still the best player on the planet (and many would objectively say all time), and I for one am glad to see that he'll be in New York to soak up the adulation/derision on Ashe again this summer.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad