Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev/Sinner--how tasty is that?....erm, 6-1 in 24 minutes for Singer. Medvedev is left to talk to himself and anyone else who will listen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Can't watch but Sinner going 6-1 on Medvedev is pretty impressive stuff. See if Medvedev can bounce back, as Tuggy mentioned he has been struggling lately.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev returns the favour in the second set, 6-1. Sinner went off the boil a little but watching Daniil work his way back into a match is a thing of beauty: precise shot making, intelligent point construction; and patience. He is a maestro out there.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
With Medvedev in full control and a 4-love lead, Jannick hasn't a clue what to do about it, 6-2 and the match to Daniil. Very impressive.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev's little scoop backhand doesn't look like much of a shot at first, but it is one of the great defensive strokes in tennis right now. He seems to be able to keep points going forever because of it.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It would be nice but TSN doesn't have the rights to 250's in Canada. DAZN has rights to WTA and ATP 250's. TSN does have rights for everything else outside of Davis Cup.

As someone who still pays for cable, and has both of the major sports networks in Canada, it is a little frustrating, but, the presence of DAZN makes a lot of tennis accessible in Canada that otherwise wouldn't be, so I appreciate the role it plays.

Missing out on 250 level events is also not the end of the world. It's more an issue that wta events are not available outside of grand slams that's more troubling.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
PHH must be pissed at himself coming from 0-6 down only to lose in a 3rd set breaker.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
3 Canadians in the QF and none play each other. Hopefully we get to see at least two wins tomorrow.

Raonic also playing for a spot in the QF at Delray Beach tonight.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
3 Canadians in the QF and none play each other. Hopefully we get to see at least two wins tomorrow.

On the flip side, there's a Challenger event in Drummondville happening this week that had 9 Canadians in total playing that saw all of them flame out in the first or second round.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix is on the Acapulco entry list and Vasek is on the Calgary entry list for next week.

I wonder if either one will take the week off next week to rest up for IW.

Denis up first today and just underway against Bublik.

Pospisil/Tsitsipas
Medvedev/Simon
Gerasimov/Auger-Aliassime

is the schedule for today.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site

What's interesting for FAA and Shapo right now, is that even with a solid performance in an ATP level tournament, these results haven't helped them in the rankings this week.

When you look at their ranking breakdowns, they've had a lot of similar tournaments like this in the past year that they've exceeded their 20 tournament limits.

If they get to semis or finals, it starts to matter for 250 level events, but, that to really improve their ranking, performances in GS and Master events is what's needed.

These tournaments are still a help for confidence, and can help shore up points if they need to miss time for injury, but it's interesting to see where they're both at, and how the next step is more runs at big tournaments.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bublik/Shapo: it is only one match but it may give us some indication if Bublik is for real or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad