Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
...and a nice win it was for Sinner. In the first set, Goffin seemed to have the upper-hand as Sinner slowly relaxed into the game, but by the second set, the issue didn't seem that much in doubt as Sinner's confidence grew while David's concentration waned.

Bublik and Rublev had a fun match, too. Bublik looked terrific in parts of the first set, but Rublev, playing very steady tennis, just patiently waited for his opportunities and he took advantage of them when they arrived

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Sinner and Carreno Busta are having a heck of a long and entertaining match. Both are having problems closing out.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Felix is currently playing on TSN 3, hope to see him get through this match and get into the semis.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Singer's loss will sting for awhile, coming back the way he did late in the fifth set, earning a pair of match points, but not being able to close the deal. Hard pill to swallow, but a very effective lesson to be learned from such a loss. I was so hoping for a Singer/Felix match up in the next round, too.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Bedene was running Felix pretty good in the early stages of that breaker. Good to see Felix really tough one out like that.

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Felix wins the first set.

Great serving from him in the first set.

Match is 100% on his racquet.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Great week for Felix, but bad day at the office today. Monfils was super steady but Felix was all over the place. Well deserved for Monfils though.

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Odd match in a way. Early on, I thought it might be Felix's day. I thought FAA's comeback from love-40 in the third game of the first set displayed every facet of the player we all want him to become. But then he got just a little careless at 40-15 in his next service game and that blew his still fragile concentration the rest of the set and into the second. Monfils played such smart patient tennis the rest of the match, teasing out errors on Felix's forehand and keeping constant pressure on from the backcourt. It was an old pro's sort of triumph.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Monfils looked like he was dying in between points. Felix doesn't have the killer instinct enough. When he has it he does well but there are so many rookie mistakes. Happy for Gael, he's always fun to watch

Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
6-2 Muguruza first set

Power is obviously still there with Clijsters, but her serve is way off at times, agility isn't what it used to be and it's painfully clear she's still carrying too much weight and is far from ideal game shape
Still nice to see some flashes of the player she once was though

Edit: 2nd set Muguruza raced to a quick 3-0 lead and Clijsters looked done, but she fought back brilliantly to get it to a tiebreak which Muguruza eventually won

Clijsters obviously hasn't lost her skills but I do wonder how much she will be able to improve physically, if she can then watch out

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Vasek down 1-4 and two points away from 1-5 and 2 breaks against Ruusuvuori, comes back to win the first set 7-6 in Marseille.

Vasek wins the second set 6-3 without too much trouble.

He'll get Hurkacz next.

Denis (bye in the first round) and Felix (Travaglia) are also there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad