Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Quiet week for Canadians on tour. Felix was originally scheduled to play Marrakech, but decided to rest instead ahead of Monte Carlo next week. Right now he is #4 on the alt list, so could be in qualifying for hopefully the last time in his career :)

Denis will be there in MC but Raonic took the next couple weeks off to rest.

Andreescu is off until Madrid.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
They should give him a WC instead of forcing him to qualify. It's in their best interest since he's a draw now.

Reactions: kihei

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
They should give him a WC instead of forcing him to qualify. It's in their best interest since he's a draw now.

What I'm hoping is happening is if they're seeing if there's enough withdrawals that he gets main draw entry on his own, saving a wildcard for other purposes.

Apparently, Felix has committed to making his residence in Monaco (for the tax benefits I presume), which I would presume organisers take into account for handing out those spots.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John

What I'm hoping is happening is if they're seeing if there's enough withdrawals that he gets main draw entry on his own, saving a wildcard for other purposes.

Apparently, Felix has committed to making his residence in Monaco (for the tax benefits I presume), which I would presume organisers take into account for handing out those spots.

Anderson and Gasquet have already pulled out, so Felix only needs 2 more withdrawals.

But I do think the chances he gets a WC (if needed) are pretty good.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm not basing this list on rankings--just my opinion of the ten best current players never to be in the "top ten" but who should have been or will be:

FAA
Kyrgios
Fognini
Shapovalov
Khachanov
Tomic
Coric
de Minaur
Medvedev
Chung

Add and subtract if you feel so inclined

Last edited:

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I'm not basing this list on rankings--just my opinion of the ten best current players never to be in the "top ten" but who should have been or will be:

FAA
Kyrgios
Fognini
Shapovalov
Khachanov
Tomic
Coric
de Minaur
Medvedev
Chung

Add and subtract if you feel so inclined

Interesting list. Do you feel that the older ones, like Fognini, will find a way up there, or has the window passed.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
What a great story. The players who lost those two matches must have felt near suicidal afterwards, especially Ann Hulbert. 18 match points--almost unfathomable.

If I had to have guessed the circumstances that would lead to comebacks that large, I would have thought that an ill timed injury would be the culprit. It doesn't seem to be the case here though.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Looks like Felix got the wildcard.

Shapovalov has Nadal in his section of the draw, with a potential 3rd round match.

Felix has Zverev potentially in the second. That's a tough, but winnable match, andone that if he wins, quickly adds to his narrative of the youngster to watch on tour.

Reactions: Tuggy

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Looks like Felix got the wildcard.

Shapovalov has Nadal in his section of the draw, with a potential 3rd round match.

Felix has Zverev potentially in the second. That's a tough, but winnable match, andone that if he wins, quickly adds to his narrative of the youngster to watch on tour.

Great that he got the WC! Hope he's played his last qualifying match.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
17 year old Iga Swiatek (POL) rolls into the finals in Lugano. Someone to keep an eye on. She was a junior champion.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis on the schedule tomorrow in MC against Struff.
Monaco is 6 hours ahead of eastern time. TSN is showing matches starting at 5 - I will not be watching - so his match will probably be on around 7.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Monaco is 6 hours ahead of eastern time. TSN is showing matches starting at 5 - I will not be watching - so his match will probably be on around 7.

Denis took the first set but things didn't go so well after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad