Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
What a breakthrough from Fog in what could be called his home tournament (he grew up and still lives in Northwest Italy less than an hour away from Monaco). Great opportunity for him to capture the biggest title of his career tomorrow.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I didn't see the earlier match but judging by the highlights Medvedev went out to a dominant 5-2 lead in the first set, blew the lead and lost the set, and never did find his mojo again. So the thoroughly unprepossessing Lajovic (career high #42 before this week) makes the Monte Carlo final. An Easter miracle proving the existence of God.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a breakthrough from Fog in what could be called his home tournament (he grew up and still lives in Northwest Italy less than an hour away from Monaco). Great opportunity for him to capture the biggest title of his career tomorrow.
I love how Fog just perched there in the bacckcourt time and time again, thoroughly relaxed, and just wailed away---like, "Hell, I got this, no sweat." You don't see that everyday against Nadal.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
I wonder if Federer is kicking himself for skipping this one, either way I'm looking forward to his clay debut this year without any expectations. I always liked watching him on clay since you could see him construct the points much more clearly than on other surfaces.

Reactions: kihei

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
I wonder if Federer is kicking himself for skipping this one

Skipping a tourney on the slowest European clay surface outside of the French Open in lieu of spending more time with his 4 children? Somehow I doubt it ;)

either way I'm looking forward to his clay debut this year without any expectations. I always liked watching him on clay since you could see him construct the points much more clearly than on other surfaces.

Me as well. I don't like his chances in the French Open, but on slightly faster clay courts such as Madrid he can still be dangerous.

Last edited:

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Fed Cup is also this weekend. Unsurprisingly Canada is down 0-2 against the Czech Republic, who have won this event 6 of the last 8 years(!)

Would be cool to see either Halep and Romania or Azarenka and Belarus win it all this year as it would be the maiden title for either nation.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Congrats to Fognini for his first Masters title. New career high for him at 31 years of age - always great to see perseverance pay off.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
FAA is seeded in Barcelona!! He and Shapo are both in Nishikori's quarter, though Fognini is probably the most in-form player in that section of the draw.

Reactions: MsMeow

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Really good Fed Cup match between Halep and Garcia (was just watching the highlights on Youtube)

You never see Simona try to pump up the crowd like she did here.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Congrats to Fognini! Always been an entertaining player (enigma).

Very happy to see him beat Nadal and lift the title today.

Canada got beat up as expected in Fed Cup.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Judging from the highlights, Lajovic was competitive but had no weapons to worry Fabio. Congrats to Fognini. It is about time he won a 1000.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Really good Fed Cup match between Halep and Garcia (was just watching the highlights on Youtube)

You never see Simona try to pump up the crowd like she did here.
That might actually be the match of the year.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Happy for Fabio, he's always had the talent to challenge for big titles, and at age 31, it's finally happened.

As for Rafa, that legit might be the first time I've ever seen him get bagelled on clay. Honestly though, at this point in his career, the only focuses should be his health and peaking at the majors. He's already more than proven himself in terms of winning Masters 1000 titles, being world number one and sustaining play throughout a calendar year.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Happy for Fabio, he's always had the talent to challenge for big titles, and at age 31, it's finally happened.

As for Rafa, that legit might be the first time I've ever seen him get bagelled on clay. Honestly though, at this point in his career, the only focuses should be his health and peaking at the majors. He's already more than proven himself in terms of winning Masters 1000 titles, being world number one and sustaining play throughout a calendar year.

Who bageled him? He lost 4 and 2 in the semis.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Who bageled him? He lost 4 and 2 in the semis.
Oh whoops my bad. The last time I checked the score it was 6-4, 5-0 Fognini so I just assumed he got bageled but an loss is still a loss and Rafa definitely needs to improve his form over the next couple months if he wants to win his 12th RG title

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Zverev out early again...his hold on #3 in the world is pretty shaky at the moment. He's #21 in the live race...

Felix will be up tomorrow in Barcelona against Jaziri. Denis up against Garin.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Zverev out early again...his hold on #3 in the world is pretty shaky at the moment. He's #21 in the live race...

Felix will be up tomorrow in Barcelona against Jaziri. Denis up against Garin.

5 a.m. eastern for Felix, approximately 10:30 for Denis

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Straight sets win for Felix. Into the 3rd round.

Nishikori next should be fun and winnable.

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Denis lost in straights

Yup, another lackluster performance on clay.

Felix first up tomorrow against Nishikori.

So Felix is the top Canadian in the live race (#12 overall). Seems like just a matter of time before Felix is the top ranked Canadian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce