Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
5-4 Rafa at the moment. He looks like a veteran pitcher who knows he doesn't have his best stuff tonight but is finding ways to hang in there anyway. Khachanov playing well, nothing wrong with that backhand so far in the match....goes to a breaker that Karen gums up early and never recovers, 7-3.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
2nd set: Rafa, whose play got sharper as the match progressed, provided a master class on breaking an opponent's game down, and, yes, he did indeed take advantage of Karen's limited quickness and his backhand. Rafa often hit Khachanov's opening strokes right back down the middle of the court, thus allowing the Russian to pick the angles (usually to Rafa's forehand side), and then Rafa would exploit the open court and Karen's lack of mobility by hitting to whatever empty spaces Khachanov provided. As Karen got more frustrated, his strokes, especially the backhand, began to crack. 6-4 was the score, but the set never felt close.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I think this is where the dream tournament ends for Stefanos.

6-2 with Rafa winning 100% of his first serves and 88% of his second serves. Tsitsipas didn't adjust to either the spin or the bounce that set.

6-2, 4-2 and Rafa just lost his second point on serve in the match.:amazed:

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Serving for the match at 5-4, the inexplicable happens to Rafa. Having lost only a total of three points on serve up to this point, he chokes a service game away to deuce the set at 5 apiece....Rafa takes the subsequent breaker to prevent what would have been a literally shocking turnaround. My vcash thanks him.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What a big splash of a week for Tsitsipas. He actually outdid Shapovalov last year who moved from #143 to #23 in a year. Stefanos just moved from #168 to #15 this year.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I had a feeling Tsitsipas' run would end today. I'm glad he made the second set as competitive as he did.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
That was probably the most entertaining Rogers Cup match I've attended. The crowd was fully won over by Stefanos by the end of the match. Big things to come from that kid in the future.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I got home to see Denis win over Tiafoe. Literally saw nothing but match point!

Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Didn't see the match but good to see Denis get the win.

Felix will be up tomorrow in Vancouver.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Not a good outing for Felix. Straight sets loss.

Denis up tonight against Edmund. Seems they play alot already :laugh:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis was supposed to start at 8:30, now that the women's match is going three sets they've listed it as 9:20 but I think it will be more like 10

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis started off slow but held. On serve at 3-2 now with Denis starting to cut down on the unforced errors.

The sound from the surrounding courts is so loud. You can hear the other ump as clearly as you can the one who is calling this match. The sound from this match and the taped one just before is off by a split second. You can hear the sound a split second before you see the impact of ball on strings.

Denis was up 15-40 and Edmund came back strong to hold. 3 all.

Denis was in all kinds of trouble on his serve but came through. 4-3 on serve.

4 all. Again, Denis was up 15-40 but Edmund came back. Denis is the more aggressive of the two while Edmund is playing defensively and pushing.

5-4 Denis, relatively easy hold. And Denis takes the first 6-4 on some kind of strange play by Edmund. He is having problems with the tape on his foot and ankle but sometimes his court positioning is odd. Playing in no man's land against a guy who hits deep isn't a good idea.

1-0 on serve for Denis. Very good service game.

Denis breaks for 2-0, he is playing so much better and doing well on long rallies.

3-0, on an excellent consolidation. Saved 3 break points to win this game.

4-0 Denis, another break, coming back from 0-40. Very impressive so far.

4-1 as Edmund breaks. 2 double faults didn't help.

4-2 Denis. Edmund takes a while to hold.

What the heck? 4-3 now

Denis is out of challenges. 4 all. One of Edmund's serves was out by almost a foot but nobody called it.

5-4 as Denis holds nicely.

5 all, dammit. Denis had match point but Edmund came up with a beautiful shot.

6-5 Denis at love. Come on, finish it before midnight.

Yes!!! 12:03 and Denis breaks to win 7-5.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei and Tuggy

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
By the way, the newly introduced first serve 25 second clock, meant to speed up the game, met with decidedly mixed results at the Roger's Cup. While it is a good idea to have a set limit on the time people can dawdle around on serve, in practice the policing of the device was very much all over the place. On occasion, the clock started whimsically whenever somebody decided to turn it on--there didn't seem to be an agreed upon "starting point." Sometimes it started during a discussion with the umpire, leaving the server in a scramble to get his serve off. More frequently, it would run out and nothing would come of it, especially when it was timing the top players like Rafa or Cilic. At other times, I noticed this with Rafa especially, it would conveniently pause for a few seconds to give Nadal a little extra time to begin his first serve. All in all, I think officials need to take this new procedure seriously or not use it at all.

Reactions: MsMeow

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I've been busy this summer. Trips to Vancouver, friends visiting from Winnipeg and then was at the cottage the week of the Rogers Cup. Also have sadly been neglecting this place ever since becoming a mod at MTF.

I'm trying to post here more, I also took a 'sabbatical' from HF in general after the Leafs playoff exit due to all the horrendous hot takes.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Now it's not until 1 PM.

Edit: And Raonic/Shapovalov has been moved to 2nd on Centre Court after the completion of Halep/Tomljanovic which currently sits at 4-6 6-3 4-3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad