Tennis: All Purpose Tennis Thread X

Status
Not open for further replies.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Denis takes the first. Milos had bad luck on break point against when the ball died after hitting a line or a soft spot on the court.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Didn't have a chance to watch, but impressive for Denis to have a strong run in a clay tournament.

How does seeding work for the majors? I know cutoff for entry happens early, but do they determine seedings closer to? If so, this run could see Shapovalov getting ranked for RG.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Battle of the up and coming teenagers at the Braga CH. Auger-Aliassme up against De Minaur.

Felix just took the first set 6-3.

Well things fell apart after that first set. De Minaur rolled through the next 2 sets.

Last edited:

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thiem beats Nadal in straight sets 5 and 3. I didn't see it and was shocked when I saw the match scores. Yesterday, though the sets scores against Schwartzman were ordinary (3 and 4), I thought Rafa looked a little out of sorts during various parts of the match. Diego had his opportunities. but today it would seem that Rafa finally hit a bit of a wall.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Just got home and thought Denis' match would be over but he took the first 7-5 and lost the second 7-6. Can anyone give a rundown of what's been happening?

2-1 Denis and up a break! The first game was easy for Kyle, who held at love. Denis won his game but missed a few first serves. And now he broke as Edmund made 2 unforced errors. Time for Denis to focus.

3-1 Denis, at love, a dominant service game.

3-2 Denis, with Kyle getting an easy hold.

4-2 Denis despite a number of missed first serves.

4-3 Denis. He needs more first serves in this upcoming game!

5-3 Denis as he tightens his game up. Funny, he hit one gorgeous first serve but Edmund hit a beautiful winner off it.

5-4 as Edmund holds after going 0-30 down

6-4 Denis wins! Final game had 4 great serves, with the final one being a wide ace.

Last edited:

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
According to people on MTF, Roger will take over the #1 ranking even though he's not playing.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Just got home and thought Denis' match would be over but he took the first 7-5 and lost the second 7-6. Can anyone give a rundown of what's been happening?

2-1 Denis and up a break! The first game was easy for Kyle, who held at love. Denis won his game but missed a few first serves. And now he broke as Edmund made 2 unforced errors. Time for Denis to focus.

5-3 Denis as he tightens his game up. Funny, he hit one gorgeous first serve but Edmund hit a beautiful winner off it.

6-4 Denis wins! Final game had 4 great serves, with the final one being a wide ace.
Nice to see Shapo close out a match with a stress free service game.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Massive win for Denis, and with Nadal out, it seems like a winnable tournament (tough, but not beating Nadal on clay tough). A win in the semis tomorrow would make him overtake Raonic as the top Canadian male player, which I think he's had that title ever since he came onto the scene.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005

Seriously, Edmund wanted a let. That's all on him for letting up.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
According to people on MTF, Roger will take over the #1 ranking even though he's not playing.
This is a fun and handy site for up-to-date rankings.

Live ATP Ranking

As you can see at this very moment Roger is #1 and Denis is a career high #29. Want to check on a player, click on his country to have his name standout: For example: click Latvia, scroll way down, find Gulbis at currently #129. The under a certain age groupings are informative, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tuggy

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I visit that site daily.

Nadal had basically the entire clay season to defend, so it was always going to be tough. I wouldn't have bet against it however.

Shapovalov gets Zverev tomorrow. Should be fun!

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A funny overhead shot of ball kids and linespeople scampering out of the way as Thiem returns an Anderson serve mere inches away from the flower pots at the back of the court.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Amazing what beating Rafa on clay can do for one's confidence. Dominant performance from Thiem today over Anderson (4 and 2). This was not the "leveled off" Thiem; this was an ascendent Thiem, miles of ceiling above him. He looked lethal most of the day.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A win over Zverev today, a tall order on clay, will nudge Denis just barely ahead of Milos, and mark the first time that Canada will have had simultaneously two players in the top 25. Can always hope.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
A win over Zverev today, a tall order on clay, will nudge Denis just barely ahead of Milos, and mark the first time that Canada will have had simultaneously two players in the top 25. Can always hope.

Tough ask to beat Zverev today.

First set to Zverev after one bad service game from Denis.

Off the rails now. Zverev taking over. 3-0 up two breaks

Last edited:

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Outclassed today by Zverev but still a very good week for Denis. No shame losing today.

Hopefully he can keep it going for the rest of the clay season.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Zverev knocks off an error-prone Thiem 4 and 4. Dominic's forehand was the pits all day, and Sascha played good, not great. But he did a lot of little things right. He had a fine day going down the line on his forehand, opening up court space in the process. And he seems to be trying to put a bit more oomph on his first serve (which caused Thiem fits) and on his forehand which he hit with both more pace and slightly more topspin. Excellent win for him. Bit of a statement perhaps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad