Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
You’re probably correct but man, we’ve all seen Murray in them skinny jeans. I feel like his gear is half his own body weight. I guess we shouldn’t be surprised that’s hes often hurt.
As often a guys barrel into him or land on top of him, I don't know that being bigger would make enough of a difference.

Reactions: wizmet12

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Something about Brassards comments about this teams inner circle of leaders seems odd to me. I get that he didn't work out and Sully tried and so did Brass but that article just seemed off to me.

In any case, Murray being hurt and Jarry being up is interesting. I still think Jars is gone at the deadline. There's a few teams still looking for a young future goalie and Jarry isn't a bad one to nab.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not the sort of hockey fan who's all about 'grit' and 'jam', but the team really needs to do more to protect their 'tender form being run. And avoid taking him out themselves. It happens with DeSmith, too. I can live with them taking some penalties being more proactive with guys getting too close.

Nothing you can do about that in today’s nhl tbh.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Something about Brassards comments about this teams inner circle of leaders seems odd to me. I get that he didn't work out and Sully tried and so did Brass but that article just seemed off to me.

In any case, Murray being hurt and Jarry being up is interesting. I still think Jars is gone at the deadline. There's a few teams still looking for a young future goalie and Jarry isn't a bad one to nab.

Why Hainsey literally said the same thing word for word?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

What did he say?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Derick Brassard opens up about failed trade, Penguins tenure

This has some good quotes from Brassard in it. It doesn't sound like there is any hard feelings between him and the team, it's just a situation that just didn't work out. My hunch on why he didn't work out here seems pretty close to what Brassard is thinking:

“The last five years I had the reputation of playing well in the playoffs,” Brassard said. “But my responsibilities in Ottawa and New York were playing in the top-six and playing 18-20 minutes a night. I’m someone who likes to play with emotion. I think the last five years I proved that. In Pittsburgh, I had a hard time getting involved in games and being myself.”

“Playing behind [Sidney Crosby] and [Evgeni Malkin], that was hard and challenging for me, trying to stay sharp, be on the ice and have a role,” Brassard said. “I was playing center behind not only the two best players on the team but probably the two best players of my generation at my position. I feel like sometimes it was hard to get involved.”

I don't really view this as reasonable and Brassard deserves criticism for it, you shouldn't have to be given a top-6 role to play engaged, but I'll give Brassard credit for being honest about the situation.

Reactions: Nakawick

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

This has some good quotes from Brassard in it. It doesn't sound like there is any hard feelings between him and the team, it's just a situation that just didn't work out. My hunch on why he didn't work out here seems pretty close to what Brassard is thinking:

I don't really view this as reasonable and Brassard deserves criticism for it, you shouldn't have to be given a top-6 role to play engaged, but I'll give Brassard credit for being honest about the situation.

I have no issue with it. We took a risk. Didn’t work out and got a player like McCann for it and added Bjugstad on top of it.

Reactions: TNT87

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
it makes sense to produce worse than usual behind Crosby and Malkin. It makes no sense to absolutely hurt your team when you do get on the ice, often with quality wingers. The one thing I’ll say in his defense is that he had to play in front of shitty defensemen too much.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Bjugstad seems awkward and not someone who necessarily processes the game all that well.

If he works with Sid, it's probably a case of adding a different dimension to two small speedy cerebral players with a behemoth having a wingspan of the entire slot area.
I am with you on this one, hope I am wrong, will see how long this will last

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
So where does Jori Lehtera go from here?

Does he stay in the NHL - or does he leave behind the world of professional hockey to embark on other "entrepreneurial activities"?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Its because you want something to be odd to you.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea

Thanks for posting that. I like Brassard more after reading. Some fits are bad, this, apparently was one, even though I thought it was a fantastic deal last year. Bonino did have super cold streaks, but he did seem to fit pretty well, which ain't easy with this team, and it is too bad we couldn't have negotiated a mutually agreeable deal. I can't imagine he's happier in Nashville...

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
Interesting article on Brassard. Sounds like JR/Organization’s expectations were a little too high if the plan was to put him on the third line.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Brassard's either washed up or, best case scenario, a head case. You're given Phil Kessel on your line, favourable zone starts AND you get to play against other team's 3rd tier players? And you can't make it work? That's on you, bud.

He was given pretty tough zone starts, but nothing a player of his supposed talent and emotion can’t handle. Sounds like he’s too high maintenance relative to his ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad