Pre-Game Talk: All Purpose Off Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I would way, way rather have a “grit” type on the 4th line than cede that role to a defenseman. If they are so gung ho about having a tough guy still, find out what MacEntyre is doing.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would way, way rather have a “grit” type on the 4th line than cede that role to a defenseman. If they are so gung ho about having a tough guy still, find out what MacEntyre is doing.

By happy coincidence, I'd rather have Oleksiak on the 4th line than as a defenceman.

I'm not entirely sure how serious I am.

Reactions: Andy99 and Turin

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Well we do have 7 top 6 D available so it's going to be a rotation and the 2 to rotate will be Oleksiak and Riikola for now.

If they actually rotate that's fine. Maybe not best for team in short term, but could benefit in long run. That said, I don't think they will rotate consistently. Big Rig is higher on the depth chart.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
If they actually rotate that's fine. Maybe not best for team in short term, but could benefit in long run. That said, I don't think they will rotate consistently. Big Rig is higher on the depth chart.

I don’t think that’s conclusive. Oleksiak only has a higher ATOI than Ruhwedel. Sully will cut his playing time more than any other D. I imagine he is in because we are playing Winnipeg plus some other minor things

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
DK mentioned that the pens wanted some size against the Jets so they put Oleksiak in. I dont know if this means it was just for this game or he will stay in. Riko has averaged almost a minute more of icetime than Oleksiak, so its not like they dont trust him. I guess we just have to wait and see.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I don't think either Riikola or Oleksiak have shown to be liabilities here :dunno:

Both are bottom pair guys who skate well and are questionable defensively, with offering 1 unique trait (toughness with Oleksiak, puck moving with Riikola). I think Riikola is more needed in general, but at the same point, I get why Oleksiak is getting in against Winnipeg. Riikola hasn't been good enough and Oleksiak hasn't been bad enough for me to really care that much about which one gets in.

I think the biggest problem with Maatta-Oleksiak is that you shouldn't use them as a heavy defensive pairing, but if you don't use them like that, you don't have a pair to get those difficult minutes. If you're giving them 60%+ DZone starts, I expect them to do poorly. I just don't know who else you can give those difficult minutes to, because I don't think Pettersson-Johnson can handle them.

There are several other big differences between them. Most importantly, Riikola has brought the best out of Maatta. And of course, giving Riikola playing time is an investment towards his improvement as the season progresses. Oleksiak is what he is, at this point in his career.

Putting in Oleksiak isn't a great idea, and I don't have high hopes for the outcome.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Oleksiak-Maatta almost tanked the season. Plus minus is not an arguement, never mind smal samplel size plus minus. Rig is, always has been, always will be a scrub. Riikola at least has promise.

This one definitely frustrated me. Riikola is a youngster with great wheels and literally just brought the best out of Maatta. Maatta with Oleksiak is a Maatta I would trade for literally ANYTHING. That has to be some credit to Riikola. The pairing worked well. The defensive woes I noticed were more related to offensive turnovers as opposed to defenders making errors and that INCLUDES JJ/Maatta. Major credit to Pets/Riikola.

I am extremely disappointed if that is the decision.

Reactions: Andy99 and Turin

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The thing that is driving me crazy right now is we're not actually that in the clear playoffs-wise. The teams below us just keep winning too.

Though we have put enough separation with everyone below the Isles that we're probably ok there. But Isles could easily still knock us off if we falter again. Granted, how long can they keep that up? And Montreal/Boston could easily slip too. Probably Montreal more likely than Boston.

Imagine where we'd be without this win streak? It's come at a much needed time for sure.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The thing that is driving me crazy right now is we're not actually that in the clear playoffs-wise. The teams below us just keep winning too.

Though we have put enough separation with everyone below the Isles that we're probably ok there. But Isles could easily still knock us off if we falter again. Granted, how long can they keep that up? And Montreal/Boston could easily slip too. Probably Montreal more likely than Boston.

Imagine where we'd be without this win streak? It's come at a much needed time for sure.

That being said we are also 1 point away from 1st in the Metro with one game in hand.

Reactions: Pancakes

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Eh. Barring a miracle, we're now in a pack of 9 hunting 8 spots. I think that's about as much in the clear as you can be at this point unless you're Tampa or in a crap division.

It would be nice if the Metro didn't make up 4 of the NHL's top 8 by P% though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There are several other big differences between them. Most importantly, Riikola has brought the best out of Maatta. And of course, giving Riikola playing time is an investment towards his improvement as the season progresses. Oleksiak is what he is, at this point in his career.

Putting in Oleksiak isn't a great idea, and I don't have high hopes for the outcome.

See, I just don't see this. I think this is where I disagree, outside of that Minnesota game, I don't think Maatta was any better with Riikola than he was with Oleksiak. He still looked slow, he was still getting beat defensively and he was still showing only a fraction of his old puck moving. That pair may have looked less ugly, because Riikola is a better puck mover, but it wasn't any better and Maatta still looked like crap with it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Eh. Barring a miracle, we're now in a pack of 9 hunting 8 spots. I think that's about as much in the clear as you can be at this point unless you're Tampa or in a crap division.

It would be nice if the Metro didn't make up 4 of the NHL's top 8 by P% though.

BuT tHe MeTRo Is WoRSe ThAn ThE ATLanTic.

I think the Central is the worst division TBH.

Metro is easily the hardest.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
BuT tHe MeTRo Is WoRSe ThAn ThE ATLanTic.

I think the Central is the worst division TBH.

Metro is easily the hardest.

I'd go with the Pacific for worst. They and Central seem about even, but I think more Central teams are underperforming what they can be this season and next

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd go with the Pacific for worst. They and Central seem about even, but I think more Central teams are underperforming what they can be this season and next

Really?

Dallas, Chicago, and Minnie are the definition of mediocre.

Colorado is a mess beyond their top line.

Winni and Nash are good, but I have no faith in them being cup champs.

St. Louis I can agree with.

Pacific. San Jose and Vegas are on Nash and Winni’s level imo.

Calgary is a constant underachiever. Good to see them win finally.

Edmonton and LA are whatever.

Vancouver is basically Colorado and Anaheim should be better with that roster.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
looked at some numbers, possession wise both Caps and Pens middle of the pack, Capitls have one of the worst percentages of created high danger chances, but both Caps and Pens riding high PDO, Pens mainly due to great goaltending as of late and crazy SH%

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
looked at some numbers, possession wise both Caps and Pens middle of the pack, Capitls have one of the worst percentages of created high danger chances, but both Caps and Pens riding high PDO, Pens mainly due to great goaltending as of late and crazy SH%

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
This one definitely frustrated me. Riikola is a youngster with great wheels and literally just brought the best out of Maatta. Maatta with Oleksiak is a Maatta I would trade for literally ANYTHING. That has to be some credit to Riikola. The pairing worked well. The defensive woes I noticed were more related to offensive turnovers as opposed to defenders making errors and that INCLUDES JJ/Maatta. Major credit to Pets/Riikola.

I am extremely disappointed if that is the decision.

What’s so funny about the decision to put Olek in is that Sully in his presser today was asked about defending Winnipeg and said they need to have good stick detail, make the right reads and play smart...all three of which Olek is terrible at...lol

Reactions: ColePens

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

You could say, maybe because of their skill, that both the Caps and the Pens are more selective in the type of shots they take and you would be right...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Really?

Dallas, Chicago, and Minnie are the definition of mediocre.

Colorado is a mess beyond their top line.

Winni and Nash are good, but I have no faith in them being cup champs.

St. Louis I can agree with.

Pacific. San Jose and Vegas are on Nash and Winni’s level imo.

Calgary is a constant underachiever. Good to see them win finally.

Edmonton and LA are whatever.

Vancouver is basically Colorado and Anaheim should be better with that roster.

My gut says that Colorado are a better version of Vancouver, and that Dallas/Minnie's version of mediocre should be equal to what I expect from Anaheim. St Louis should be better, Hawks and Kings are roughly the same...

And lets not forget the Pacific have the Coyotes for lulz.

If Calgary are for reals and not having a bright spot before going back to normal, I guess that'd change my mind. But right now I don't believe.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
My gut says that Colorado are a better version of Vancouver, and that Dallas/Minnie's version of mediocre should be equal to what I expect from Anaheim. St Louis should be better, Hawks and Kings are roughly the same...

And lets not forget the Pacific have the Coyotes for lulz.

If Calgary are for reals and not having a bright spot before going back to normal, I guess that'd change my mind. But right now I don't believe.

Coyotes for lulz? They’re a pretty competitive team when they’re healthy. That D and goaltending have just been shat in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad