Welcome back, Oleksiak ...

g6oQJ.gif

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why can't we keep nice things?

Best hope is Big Rig sits when Schultz come back and Maatta-Schultz sticks.

Pretty obvious they are playing who they think are the best 6 dmen, fit be damned.

I actually like Big Rig, but the combo of him and Maatta is puke worthy.

That’s really my issue. They don’t realize Maatta needs to be supported and by given him Oleksiak and playing him on the right side they are just setting him up for failure.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Welcome back, Oleksiak ...

Riikola taken out of the lineup after he had a bad game defensively and was on the ice for 2 goals against? I'm shocked. That is half sarcastic and half serious, it's totally expected that they'd scratch him but I'm a little surprised they'd make changes to a winning team.

8 game winning streak on the line, and we aren't giving up a lot of goals. Lets **** with the defense and put together a pairing that sucked ass and was a main factor in us losing so many games this season. Brilliant.

Riikola has been giving up a ton of goals over those 8 games, though.

So was Maatta?

Maatta also isn't a rookie and is relied on to play much tougher minutes.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
True, but even leaving aside the fact that we know its not fully meritocratic, Maatta logged the most PK time in that period and that's a pretty decent edge when not being the member of an under performing unit to leave the line up.

No doubt. Not arguing that Maatta should sit over Riikola. That's not realistic and probably not the best idea, but I don't get why you make a change when the D arguably looks the best it has all season and the team is rolling.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Riikola taken out of the lineup after he had a bad game defensively and was on the ice for 2 goals against? I'm shocked. That is half sarcastic and half serious, it's totally expected that they'd scratch him but I'm a little surprised they'd make changes to a winning team.

Riikola has been giving up a ton of goals over those 8 games, though.

I get the sentiment and agree. But Oleksiak has shown to be just as bad of a liability and arguably worse.

Reactions: Turin

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Something he's generally done better with Cough Drop as opposed to Oleksiak here.

I mean, there's a lot of logic to what they've done until I consider what its likely to look like on the ice and all the logic drains away.

No doubt. Not arguing that Maatta should sit over Riikola. That's not realistic and probably not the best idea, but I don't get why you make a change when the D arguably looks the best it has all season and the team is rolling.

Agreed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I get the sentiment and agree. But Oleksiak has shown to be just as bad of a liability and arguably worse.

I don't think either Riikola or Oleksiak have shown to be liabilities here :dunno:

Both are bottom pair guys who skate well and are questionable defensively, with offering 1 unique trait (toughness with Oleksiak, puck moving with Riikola). I think Riikola is more needed in general, but at the same point, I get why Oleksiak is getting in against Winnipeg. Riikola hasn't been good enough and Oleksiak hasn't been bad enough for me to really care that much about which one gets in.

Something he's generally done better with Cough Drop as opposed to Oleksiak here.

I mean, there's a lot of logic to what they've done until I consider what its likely to look like on the ice and all the logic drains away.

I think the biggest problem with Maatta-Oleksiak is that you shouldn't use them as a heavy defensive pairing, but if you don't use them like that, you don't have a pair to get those difficult minutes. If you're giving them 60%+ DZone starts, I expect them to do poorly. I just don't know who else you can give those difficult minutes to, because I don't think Pettersson-Johnson can handle them.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't think either Riikola or Oleksiak have shown to be liabilities here :dunno:

Both are bottom pair guys who skate well and are questionable defensively, with offering 1 unique trait (toughness with Oleksiak, puck moving with Riikola). I think Riikola is more needed in general, but at the same point, I get why Oleksiak is getting in against Winnipeg. Riikola hasn't been good enough and Oleksiak hasn't been bad enough for me to really care that much about which one gets in.

I would not describe Big Rig as a defender that skates well relative to Riikola. He skates well for a big dude, but Riikola is a smooth skater than can evade defenders with his skating. Big Rig just doesn't lumber around quite as much as you'd expect for his size.

As for which one is in, it has less to do with the individual players and more about fit and need on the whole blueline. We are a worse defense with Big Rig-Maatta than Maatta-Riikola.

I think the biggest problem with Maatta-Oleksiak is that you shouldn't use them as a heavy defensive pairing, but if you don't use them like that, you don't have a pair to get those difficult minutes. If you're giving them 60%+ DZone starts, I expect them to do poorly. I just don't know who else you can give those difficult minutes to, because I don't think Pettersson-Johnson can handle them.

So in conclusion, you agree it's a bad idea?

Reactions: Turin

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I would not describe Big Rig as a defender that skates well relative to Riikola. He skates well for a big dude, but Riikola is a smooth skater than can evade defenders with his skating. Big Rig just doesn't lumber around quite as much as you'd expect for his size.

As for which one is in, it has less to do with the individual players and more about fit and need on the whole blueline. We are a worse defense with Big Rig-Maatta than Maatta-Riikola.

Nah, I'd legitimately call Oleksiak a good skater. He's not just good for his size, he's a legitimately strong skater. Oleksiak's biggest problems are that he doesn't use his size well and his puck moving is mediocre.

So in conclusion, you agree it's a bad idea?

I think people overstate how much worse it is than Maatta-Riikola. Riikola is the better fit next to Maatta, but Oleksiak is also the better player, I think people ignore the 2nd and focus too much on the 1st.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Nah, I'd legitimately call Oleksiak a good skater. He's not just good for his size, he's a legitimately strong skater. Oleksiak's biggest problems are that he doesn't use his size well and his puck moving is mediocre.

I think people overstate how much worse it is than Maatta-Riikola. Riikola is the better fit next to Maatta, but Oleksiak is also the better player, I think people ignore the 2nd and focus too much on the 1st.

We disagree that Big Rig is a legitimately good skater. I'd call him average. Dumo is a good skater. Riikola is a good skater. Letang is a great skater. Maybe we have different bars.

I expect Big Rig-Maatta to get hemmed in their zone moe than Maatta-Riikola. Even if Big Rig is better, the net effect is a worse pairing IMO.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

Maybe it's just part of the development for Riikola. Have him sit a game and show him what they think he needs to work on through video, practice and watching a game in the stands.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm all for optimism but if you think that's the most likely explanation, I have a bridge to sell you ;)

Well we do have 7 top 6 D available so it's going to be a rotation and the 2 to rotate will be Oleksiak and Riikola for now.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Great the 3 Amigos are back at it again.
The issue for me is Rig doesn't do anything spectacularly enough to change up a roster thats rolling right now.
Riiko was also a part of PP2 which has scored some lately, too.
Dummies.

ETA: Rig was last place on the team in CF% in 2 of the 3 games before he played 9 seconds in WSH.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Its just so dumb. Instead of letting a young guy play through his ****, you just scratch him the first opportunity you get.

I dint think this decision has anything to do with Rikola and everything to do with Winnipeg. Theyre a big phyiscal bunch and our games with them tend to get chippy...hence Oleksiak. Not saying its right or wrong but there is at least a thread of why its happening.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I dint think this decision has anything to do with Rikola and everything to do with Winnipeg. Theyre a big phyiscal bunch and our games with them tend to get chippy...hence Oleksiak. Not saying its right or wrong but there is at least a thread of why its happening.

Yea, it's not like Riiko hasn't laid out guys in hits Rig could only dream of consistently since he's been in lately.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Its possible, but IMO it has to do with Riko's pair being scored on twice last game and you know Maatta isnt sitting so..

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Its possible, but IMO it has to do with Riko's pair being scored on twice last game and you know Maatta isnt sitting so..

Probably bit of both.

Reactions: Malkinstheman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad