All-Purpose Non-WWE Discussion Thread: NWA, IMPACT, AAA, and MLW, etc

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Among other things, yes. I give the guy a ton of credit, he doesn’t have to do this stuff.

I never read this thread, so hence quoting this months later, but I have to agree. I listen to their podcast weekly so call me a mark even though I'm not, but he and Meyers are really relishing their freedom from the WWE. More than that even, Cardona open relishes being a heel and is loving doing the Indy circuit. Just dropped his internet championship but picked up the AIW or whatever titles.

We need more of that nice fella Danhausen. That gimmick is MONEY.

NO SWEARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must have seen about 5 videos of him before I knew he was even in the ring. Didn't look the part at all until I saw him in the ring. I just assumed he was some YouTube personality/rasslin' fan. I think he's hilarious and I love the voice and the whole hunched over posture.

Reactions: GKJ

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I never read this thread, so hence quoting this months later, but I have to agree. I listen to their podcast weekly so call me a mark even though I'm not, but he and Meyers are really relishing their freedom from the WWE. More than that even, Cardona open relishes being a heel and is loving doing the Indy circuit. Just dropped his internet championship but picked up the AIW or whatever titles.

I must have seen about 5 videos of him before I knew he was even in the ring. Didn't look the part at all until I saw him in the ring. I just assumed he was some YouTube personality/rasslin' fan. I think he's hilarious and I love the voice and the whole hunched over posture.

The best part of Danhausen's gimmick is using teeth as foreign objects in his matches. The guy is hilarious. More important, he's over with his gimmick. He's made himself, has a built in audience that is devoted to him and could easily draw. He doesn't even need to win to be over. That's the great thing with his gimmick.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Kota Ibushi injured his arm or shoulder doing a phoenix splash during G1 final. Match had to be stopped, and it’s New Japan, and it’s Ibushi, so you know it had to be in a bad way

Reactions: CDJ

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Anyone here live in LA? Curious how PCW Ultra shows are. They have Stan Hansen booked for a meet & greet in January. Might have to go for that alone.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Just came to post the same thing. Despite what ROH is saying this could be the beginning of the end for them. :(

Kind of what it sounds like. I can tune in to ROH with no investment in any of the wrestlers and still enjoy it. It will be a shame if it folds.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Does this mean all of their wrestlers are free to work anywhere immediately? I'd like to see Jay Lethal in one of the big two.

I'm not too familiar with 95% of the ROH roster though.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Really sucks to hear that about ROH

this should bode well for MLW tho. They can probably cherry pick a few talents and get deeper as a roster

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds like the end game here for ROH is that they run more like a full independent without contracts. You’re either available for their dates or you’re not, you can keep coming back or you can leave for AEW or MLW or whoever without notice. Their champions can get poached, and just hope everyone does good business.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Does this mean all of their wrestlers are free to work anywhere immediately? I'd like to see Jay Lethal in one of the big two.

I'm not too familiar with 95% of the ROH roster though.

Hasn't Lethal turned down WWE multiple times? I think we're more likely to see him back in TNA. Maybe AEW or Japan.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Hasn't Lethal turned down WWE multiple times? I think we're more likely to see him back in TNA. Maybe AEW or Japan.

I'm not sure. I've always kind of wondered why WWE didn't sign him at some point but I never really looked into it.

And now I just remembered he had some sexual harassment allegations against him recently.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
WWE supposedly isn’t interested anymore (right now) in other wrestlers. They want to teach people how to wrestle from scratch.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think he has been one of the guys who would have to take a pay cut to sign a development deal with WWE as he makes more on his indy deals, but he isn't enough of a sure thing for WWE to go out and give him a deal bigger than that.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
More on the ROH situation from PWInsider:

A few Ring of Honor notes to clarify some confusion:

CONTRACTS:

No talents have been released from their contracts yet. Those who have deals running through the end of the year are under contract until that point and will be paid their full salary through 12/31.

Those with deals running into 2022 will remain under contract until March or April, receiving their full salary until the point they will receive a release.

All talents who wish to do so have been given permission to go work independent dates immediately if they don't conflict with November's TV tapings and the 12/11 Final Battle PPV. Obviously, every wrestler wants to wrestle, so they are all going to do that to make as much cash as they can. To a person, they all realize they are hitting a crowded open market and are doing what they can to be ahead of the game in the race for bookings.

TAPE LIBRARY:

I am not sure where this started but Sinclair Broadcast Group purchased the rights to whatever the 2002-2011 ROH tape library contained when they bought the company from Cary Silkin. We have gotten some emails about whether they actually owned the content prior to 2011, but considering they have utilized it many times for compilation DVDs and YouTube, they obviously have the rights. If they didn't, Cary Silkin could have made himself a mint selling it off to WWE or even AEW and that hasn't happened.

In regard to potential sale of the library, Joe Koff stated in our interview this past Wednesday that there are no conversations and no interest in selling the library. We have heard stories of different discussions in the past, but that doesn't mean it's currently talking place. Of course, things can always change tomorrow, but if we are going to take Koff at his word, there's no current sale discussions right now.

THE FUTURE:

We are told by numerous Ring of Honor talents that on the Zoom call this week, numerous talents called upon Joe Koff to tell them that the promotion was over if it was actually closing. During the call, Koff repeatedly told them that the company would continue on and resume live events in April.

The complete roster is booked for the November TV tapings per usual.

There had been plans to bring in several GCW talents to wrestle The Briscoes at the TV tapings in Baltimore as a way to extend the storyline where the Briscoes won the GCW Tag Team titles but there is no word whether that is still happening.

Tickets for the Final Battle PPV, which will be the last event for this incarnation of Ring of Honor, will go on sale for the public on Friday 11/5 at 10 AM EST on Ticketmaster.com. Tickets are already on sale for Honor Club subscribers.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
There’s a channel that plays exclusively old TNA impact matches at the Airbnb I’m at. Wild.

like literally. I’m watching Taylor Wilde rn lol

This shit can’t possibly get ratings but I’m here for a month baby! The gravy train is in town

LAX 1.0 vs LAX 2.0 rn

Last edited:

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
There’s a channel that plays exclusively old TNA impact matches at the Airbnb I’m at. Wild.

like literally. I’m watching Taylor Wilde rn lol

This shit can’t possibly get ratings but I’m here for a month baby! The gravy train is in town

LAX 1.0 vs LAX 2.0 rn

I think that channel is free on the Pluto Tv App

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Buddy Matthews vs. Okada in San Jose next Saturday

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I’m watching that impact channel on plutoTV or whatever and it’s occurring to me that they willingly hired Vince Russo twice after watching what he did to WCW

incredible

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m watching that impact channel on plutoTV or whatever and it’s occurring to me that they willingly hired Vince Russo twice after watching what he did to WCW

incredible
I think they lost a TV deal because of it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Jonah, the once-Bronson Reed, debuted for New Japan last night in San Jose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad