OT: All Purpose NCAA Football Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
With so many early commits anymore, signing day has become more and more underwhelming.

There's still some strange **** that goes on that's interesting. I always like when parents refuse to sign off on the LOI. Or when a family member who randomly comes back into the picture after not being involved for a long time trying to get the kid to go to a certain school.

Ole Miss being under the NCAA's watch probably tones things down some though. :laugh:

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Looks like Willie is putting the players through the ringer out in Oregon.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/01/oregon_ducks_workouts_hospital.html

At least three Oregon Ducks football players were hospitalized after enduring a series of grueling strength and conditioning workouts at UO last week, The Oregonian/OregonLive has learned.

Offensive linemen Doug Brenner and Sam Poutasi and tight end Cam McCormick are in fair condition and remained at PeaceHealth Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend in Springfield on Monday, a hospital spokeswoman said. They have been in the hospital since late last week after workouts that occurred during the team's return from holiday break.

Poutasi's mother, Oloka, said that her son complained of very sore arms after the workouts and had been diagnosed with rhabdomyolysis, a syndrome in which soft muscle tissue is broken down with "leakage into the blood stream of muscle contents," according to the NCAA medical handbook. Depending on the severity, it has the potential to lead to damaged kidneys.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Looking like a December signing day along with February one is going to be a reality soon.

I saw coaches were trying to push for a four game limit before you burn a redshirt. They have a rule currently where if you play a certain amount of games & get hurt you can still redshirt. It happened to Jabrill Peppers his first year for example. The coaches want to get rid of getting hurt to be the qualifier.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Seems like half of these new rules the NCAA is passing recently are all because of Harbaugh. He had Michigan's spring game at IMG Academy in Florida this past year & that's been nixed going forward.

He hired the HC at Paramus Catholic in North Jersey where Rashaun Gary & other high end recruits went as a GA (he's since then promote him to a paid assistant) which Michigan would go on to land those guys. I don't know if it passed yet but they're trying to put a rule in where if you do that you're banned from recruiting any play from that high school for two years. That's if you hire them as GA or some other minuscule job that isn't a paid assistant.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
They should be banning Harbaugh's creepy sleepovers with recruits.

There's not a coach in college football that I enjoy watching fail as much I do with Harbaugh.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
They should be banning Harbaugh's creepy sleepovers with recruits.

There's not a coach in college football that I enjoy watching fail as much I do with Harbaugh.

He's really an odd dude. I knew he was a little crazy from his time with the 49ers because he would blow up on the sidelines a lot. But now closer to the east coast where he gets more publicity in the media & I'm really seeing he's a straight loon in all facets of life. :laugh:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
The wheels are starting to fall off Muschamp's 2017 cycle. His second best commit just flipped to FSU, and his best is probably about to flip to UGA.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I like the kid that said he would commit to whatever team won the bowl game between Miami and West Virginia. Just de-committed from WVU. Kids and their recruiting BS these days. All for attention.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I like the kid that said he would commit to whatever team won the bowl game between Miami and West Virginia. Just de-committed from WVU. Kids and their recruiting BS these days. All for attention.

I think he had a big week at the Army Bowl. I'd imagine some bigger schools are circling back as they try to fill their classes.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Kind of crazy Butch is still bringing in a class of around 30 kids this year. I get Bama & Ohio State doing it as they lose a lot of underclassmen every year to the draft. Butch & his staff can't develop for **** though. Now he's got a class of full of three stars instead of four & five stars unlike the previous classes because of it.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Kind of crazy Butch is still bringing in a class of around 30 kids this year. I get Bama & Ohio State doing it as they lose a lot of underclassmen every year to the draft. Butch & his staff can't develop for **** though. Now he's got a class of full of three stars instead of four & five stars unlike the previous classes because of it.

Yeah, he just took a commitment from a RB that was being offered by the likes of Iowa State and Florida A&M. He's gone if he doesn't get to Atlanta next year. Jim McElwain can't recruit for **** either, but at least he's a hell of a coach.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, he just took a commitment from a RB that was being offered by the likes of Iowa State and Florida A&M. He's gone if he doesn't get to Atlanta next year. Jim McElwain can't recruit for **** either, but at least he's a hell of a coach.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spo...n-alarming-deficiency-developing-49389767/Amp

Here's an article on the high end guys that haven't panned out there so far. Pretty much sums up the way things have gone there.

I can't see things going well for him next year. The end of this past year was ugly. The doormats of the SEC ran roughshod over his defense in the last few games there to top a pretty bad season. Barnett was probably one of the few worth a damn there & he's gone to the NFL.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Not to defend Butch, but Kamara, Hurd and Barnett were developed into impact players that'll do well at the next level. But yeah, their five star guys never really panned out.

Josh Malone should have never declared. He would have benefited greatly from a senior year with anyone but Dobbs at QB. Isaiah McKenzie shouldn't have declared either, but he would've gotten buried on UGA's depth chart next year by the 2016 and 2017 class. Godwin at PSU too. I don't get why so many receivers declare early every year when they didn't really do anything their junior year to separate themselves from a dozen or so other guys.

UT's window in the East is closing quick, imo. They don't have the natural recruiting base to compete with the likes of UGA and UF, who both seem to be trending in the right direction again. Muschamp seems like he has USCe back to being a tough out again as well.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Sparty is having a rough day to close out a rough year on the recruiting trail. They had a kid pass up a full ride to walk-on at Northwestern then had another pick South Alabama over them.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Matt Rhule salvaged a potential nightmare class. They're going to likely finish just inside the top 40 despite only having one commit when getting there. They had to get 25+ kids on board just in a month or two.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Sparty had their 60 seconds of success. Back to mediocrity with that clown Dantonio; PSU is about to take their rightful place they had the past few years before this year as B10 contenders. Except it'll last longer.

Johnk0728

Dec 28, 2016
Georgia had a heck of day. They were able to keep some of those Atlanta area kids home. Clemson's class is better than a lot of pundits think...they only had 14 to offer so it eschewed their rankings.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Georgia had a heck of day. They were able to keep some of those Atlanta area kids home. Clemson's class is better than a lot of pundits think...they only had 14 to offer so it eschewed their rankings.

Yeah, Kirby's first real class is better and deeper than anything Richt ever put together. His number one goal was locking down the state of Georgia, and while he'll never get them all, he certainly got a great haul from the fourth best state to recruit in the country. His class has pretty much been locked in for months now, so not losing anyone was a win in itself.

Surprised Dabo didn't just over-sign and trim the fat elsewhere like Saban (medical scholarships, greyshirting, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad