ALL PURPOSE NBA expansion thread

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

Interesting. Seems all but official NBA is heading to Vegas and Seattle.

I am wondering if rumors are true, and Fenway Sports Group gets expansion team in Vegas, how that would work with Lebron James as minority shareholder. If he's still with the Lakers under contract, would he have to sell the share or somehow make his way to the new Vegas team?

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I wonder how soon the league denies the story.

It would make sense to add 2 soon. Curious to see if the have a 'process' and what groups from other markets apply

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Various people who work in the NBA who happen to have little to no decision making power in league matters, have said that the nba is committed to returning to Seattle and the league always responds that expansion is not on the table at this time and it will be revisited with the next CBA/TV Rights agreement.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Various people who work in the NBA who happen to have little to no decision making power in league matters, have said that the nba is committed to returning to Seattle and the league always responds that expansion is not on the table at this time and it will be revisited with the next CBA/TV Rights agreement.
That’s what the story suggest, announcement is coming in 2024 after new TV deal.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
With the exception of local fans in Seattle and Las Vegas, probably nobody is wanting this more than Minnesota as they’d likely get the nod over Memphis to be moved to the East in the resulting realignment. They’ve been isolated from the rest of the conference geographically for decades now.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
They where saying the same thing in 16/17.

Big difference Seattle has their new arena since then.

With the exception of local fans in Seattle and Las Vegas, probably nobody is wanting this more than Minnesota as they’d likely get the nod over Memphis to be moved to the East in the resulting realignment. They’ve been isolated from the rest of the conference geographically for decades now.

Also get OKC out of the NW division.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
it would be nice to have another Canadian team. Vancouver was not a bust and would still be around if ownership was not sold to heisley or any american that wanted to move it. I wonder if there are any groups in vancouver that are interested. It's going to a cost a lot but the investment is very good long term.

Reactions: Voight

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
it would be nice to have another Canadian team. Vancouver was not a bust and would still be around if ownership was not sold to heisley or any american that wanted to move it. I wonder if there are any groups in vancouver that are interested. It's going to a cost a lot but the investment is very good long term.

At this point, only way Vancouver or any Canadian city gets an NBA team is through relocation. I’m not sure any Canadian billionaire or group will be willing to shell out 2-3 billion American dollars to get an NBA team imo

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Interesting. Seems all but official NBA is heading to Vegas and Seattle.

I am wondering if rumors are true, and Fenway Sports Group gets expansion team in Vegas, how that would work with Lebron James as minority shareholder. If he's still with the Lakers under contract, would he have to sell the share or somehow make his way to the new Vegas team?

Well, the rumor is James would want to have a sizeable piece of a Vegas team. I.e. not just his minority share in FSG (less than 5%). Getting a bigger piece of FSG is going to expensive and theres no indication it would even be available, plus having a share wholly owned by him and not a corporation is more attractive to James.

Regardless this would likely be a first in NA sports. I don't think there would be much of a conflict between playing for one team & owning a piece of another. Technically you could "throw games" when playing them but thats extremely unlikely especially for someone with an ego the size of his.

Theoretically if his son goes to college he would be draft eligible 2024; LeBron is a free agent next year but most agree he'll sign a 1 year deal with the Lakers and then sign with whatever team picks up Bronny the year after. So if a Vegas team is announced next year to start playing in 2024, it could just workout that he plays for the team he owns a piece of.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Well, the rumor is James would want to have a sizeable piece of a Vegas team. I.e. not just his minority share in FSG (less than 5%). Getting a bigger piece of FSG is going to expensive and theres no indication it would even be available, plus having a share wholly owned by him and not a corporation is more attractive to James.

Regardless this would likely be a first in NA sports. I don't think there would be much of a conflict between playing for one team & owning a piece of another. Theoretically you could "throw games" when playing them but thats extremely unlikely especially for someone with an ego the size of his.

Theoretically if his son goes to college he would be draft eligible 2024; LeBron is a free agent next year but most agree he'll sign a 1 year deal with the Lakers and then sign with whatever team picks up Bronny the year after. So if a Vegas team is announced next year to start playing in 2024, it could just workout that he plays for the team he owns a piece of.
Didnt Lemieux own Penguins while playing

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Conflict of interest is too great and they have enough credibility issue as it is, after Donaughy revelation.

That was 15 years ago.

I highly doubt there would be much uproar if they let it happen. Besides, Silver lets the inmates run the asylum so I have a hard time believing he would tell LeBron of all people no.

Reactions: Reaser

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I find it odd that there is bickering over a hypothetical that has like 9 levels of variables that all have to play out the ever come to any kind of fruition.

Also, the people inside an asylum aren't inmates, they're patients. And there's another problematic thing with that phrase in this case.

Last edited:

nickp91

Jun 29, 2011
It’ll be a huge miss if the Vegas nba expansion team does not name themselves the Sin City Lights

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
That was 15 years ago.

I highly doubt there would be much uproar if they let it happen. Besides, Silver lets the inmates run the asylum so I have a hard time believing he would tell LeBron of all people no.
And they are still dealing with it. NBA referees have serious credibility issues.

Reactions: Mike Louis

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I see the NBA replacing the Northwest Division with the Mountain Division if Vegas and Seattle are in fact the new teams. The Mountain would consist of Denver, Phoenix, Portland, Seattle, and Utah. Vegas would go to the Pacific, Minnesota to the Central, and Oklahoma City to the Southwest.

Then the NBA can adopt a schedule format heavy on division games - you would play each non-division opponent twice (home and road), and play either 6 or 7 games against each division opponent depending on how big your division is.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Not to derail, but the NBA alignment possibilities are kinda terrible with SEA/VEG.
It actually wouldn't be bad assuming they go back to 4 divisions of 8 teams each. Funky Central though going from MIN to MIA though.

Pacific: SEA, PDX, SAC, GS, LAL, LAC, PHX, LV
SW: UT, DEN, SAT, DAL, HOU, NO, OKC, MEM
Central: MIN, MIL, CHI, IND, ATL, CLT, ORL, MIA
Atlantic: BOS, NYK, BKL, PHL, WSH, TOR, CLE, DET

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad