All Purpose Media Thread

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Most of our media are young guys that have just started following the sport I. The last 5 years and they write these heavy opinionated articles on players talent when they’ve never felt the edge of a blade. They’ve not coached or been coached. It’s like Vingan, but gotten worse.

Reactions: predhead1

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Most of our media are young guys that have just started following the sport I. The last 5 years and they write these heavy opinionated articles on players talent when they’ve never felt the edge of a blade. They’ve not coached or been coached. It’s like Vingan, but gotten worse.
I'm not sure that's vastly different than anywhere else even for veteran journalists... at least, if you are going by the written word. Ex-players tend to get into broadcast more. There are probably many hall of fame level sports journalists who never played the sports they cover. But they can write. Experience playing the game is not at all necessary.

Reactions: Kat Predator

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I'm not sure that's vastly different than anywhere else even for veteran journalists... at least, if you are going by the written word. Ex-players tend to get into broadcast more. There are probably many hall of fame level sports journalists who never played the sports they cover. But they can write. Experience playing the game is not at all necessary.
You don't have to be a professional. You can be a guy that never played past bantam hockey, but before you start telling me about positional play, please know what you're talking about, hell go join the local beer league or attend high school practices as a spectator, do something to build your knowledge foundation.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
You don't have to be a professional. You can be a guy that never played past bantam hockey, but before you start telling me about positional play, please know what you're talking about, hell go join the local beer league or attend high school practices as a spectator, do something to build your knowledge foundation.
Note that "please know what you're talking about" also doesn't require any of that stuff. Folks CAN learn by watching and reading. And they can have dumb takes with or without ever stepping on the ice. I know lots of coaches and teammates who have had some of the dumbest takes I've ever heard about hockey.

In the old days there'd be a boss somewhere deciding if somebody providing some form of media coverage was actually good at it or not, regardless of whether they had played before. Whereas nowadays anybody can just decide to cover anything they want to, and the internet gives them a platform, regardless of whether they are good at it or not, knowledgeable or not, insightful or not.

Of course there are still a few out there who do have bosses and are presumably getting paid something for their work, who are also not doing that great a job. But I guess in those cases, I would tend to blame the employer. If your guy isn't doing a good job, you are wasting your money paying them. But the others who are doing it for free out of their own interest? Or trying to earn their own income doing it freelance? They have carte blanche afaic. They are basically just posting here like we are, their opinions can be debated on the merit or lack thereof of those opinions, regardless of what the author's personal background was.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Eh the guy that created Russian hockey never played the game. He just read about it and watched some of it and put his own twist on it.

You can definitely learn the game without playing it, but the problem with most media is they aren't really interested in learning the game. They just want to be able to spit out stats and make it sound like they know what they are talking about.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Eh the guy that created Russian hockey never played the game. He just read about it and watched some of it and put his own twist on it.

You can definitely learn the game without playing it, but the problem with most media is they aren't really interested in learning the game. They just want to be able to spit out stats and make it sound like they know what they are talking about.

They want to spit out fancy stats without context to create the illusion that they know what they're talking about.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This is troublesome for those of us that watch the Bally feed for games. It’s August 14th and there is still no resolution on DSG’s bankruptcy.

I kind of hope the league just ends the market restrictions and puts it all on ESPN+ or something else outside of cable. Bally is the only reason I am still on Comcast. We just changed our internet to Google Fiber but Mr. Adz needed it to stay on Comcast internet a bit longer til he could get a connection on his computer fixed, so we haven't gathered up all the cable equipment to turn it in yet but when we do I will be Bally-less.

I read that some team out west was putting theirs on network (after reading this I see it was Vegas). It seems that others are at least inquiring about the possibility of taking over the contracts. Broadcasters Nexstar, Sinclair, Gray and Scripps in Talks With the NBA and NHL, Also Looking to Step in on Abandoned RSN Deals

This part sounds good: ...the NBA and NHL seem enthusiastic about exiting the pay TV ecosystem, which pays better base fees but greatly limits their reach and ability to engage fans.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I kind of hope the league just ends the market restrictions and puts it all on ESPN+ or something else outside of cable. Bally is the only reason I am still on Comcast. We just changed our internet to Google Fiber but Mr. Adz needed it to stay on Comcast internet a bit longer til he could get a connection on his computer fixed, so we haven't gathered up all the cable equipment to turn it in yet but when we do I will be Bally-less.

I read that some team out west was putting theirs on network (after reading this I see it was Vegas). It seems that others are at least inquiring about the possibility of taking over the contracts. Broadcasters Nexstar, Sinclair, Gray and Scripps in Talks With the NBA and NHL, Also Looking to Step in on Abandoned RSN Deals
ESPN+ and a VPN you can see all the games unless its on one of the big cable channels. Only time it gets to be an issue is in the playoffs, but the SCF were on ESPN+ as well.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
ESPN+ and a VPN you can see all the games unless its on one of the big cable channels. Only time it gets to be an issue is in the playoffs, but the SCF were on ESPN+ as well.
I know there are ways around the rules, but my preference is to watch the games legally. I have Roku and in poking around all the Roku and Freevee and other offerings I have found a broadcast of what I think is the NHL network (hard to tell this time of year as it's all reruns) and I saw where I could get at least one of those other ABC networks. The only thing giving me problems was the Bally stuff, and as you say I could get those if I changed my standards. And I am less likely to keep them as the season draws nearer, ha!

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I know there are ways around the rules, but my preference is to watch the games legally. I have Roku and in poking around all the Roku and Freevee and other offerings I have found a broadcast of what I think is the NHL network (hard to tell this time of year as it's all reruns) and I saw where I could get at least one of those other ABC networks. The only thing giving me problems was the Bally stuff, and as you say I could get those if I changed my standards. And I am less likely to keep them as the season draws nearer, ha!
Nothing illegal about it, all you are doing is changing the server location of your IP. Instead of routing out of Nashville its just routing out of Chicago, or St. Louis. Get far enough away and your stream will degrade pretty badly.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
ESPN+ still means missing 5-10 games a year between what is on TBS and NHLN .... and for some reason getting all of those as options on a single streaming service that isn't ridiculously priced is a pain.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
ESPN+ still means missing 5-10 games a year between what is on TBS and NHLN .... and for some reason getting all of those as options on a single streaming service that isn't ridiculously priced is a pain.
Yes, my friend in Nebraska has fits seeing the Preds when they're not on Hulu or ESPN+. He'll have to go to a bar to watch those games and that is annoying since he's already paid for "Preds games".

Reactions: weeze

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad