Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread IV | 2016 PGA Tour Season

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
So happy for Rory.

Feel kicked in the gut learning about The King's death. Arnold Palmer has always been one of my heroes, period. Exceptional human being. He lived a long life, but losing him just doesn't seem fair.

What a horrendous year 2016 has been... the names that have departed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If Chappell isn't a top level golfer (and I agree that he isn't), then neither is Justin Thomas, that's for sure. You cannot argue that Thomas is better than Chappell right now, nor can you argue that he's been better over the past 12 months. Chappell's been better in literally every conceivable way. He's the pick.

Also, Chappell lost in the playoff after he made par on the first hole. Moore lasted 4 holes against him. If that's considered "wilting" then your standards are too high. If they fell apart and made bogeys/doubles, then maybe. But they didn't.

I didn't say Thomas was a top level golfer, but he's 23, he's young, he could bring the team a spark. He could play on the team for the next 20 years. Chappell's some very average player in the middle of his career who's had a career year, and will likely not have a year anywhere close to this year in the future. He hasn't even won a PGA Tour event in his career yet. He gets so many close finishes, but in the end, the top players usually find a way to win when its close.

Wilt or not, the end of that tournament shows why you don't pick Chappell or Moore. Neither have any ability to shut the door. You leave it open for someone like Rory, he barges it, and wins.

Jan 3, 2012
If Chappell isn't a top level golfer (and I agree that he isn't), then neither is Justin Thomas, that's for sure. You cannot argue that Thomas is better than Chappell right now, nor can you argue that he's been better over the past 12 months. Chappell's been better in literally every conceivable way. He's the pick.

Also, Chappell lost in the playoff after he made par on the first hole. Moore lasted 4 holes against him. If that's considered "wilting" then your standards are too high. If they fell apart and made bogeys/doubles, then maybe. But they didn't.

Yeah, except number of Tour wins.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I didn't say Thomas was a top level golfer, but he's 23, he's young, he could bring the team a spark. He could play on the team for the next 20 years. Chappell's some very average player in the middle of his career who's had a career year, and will likely not have a year anywhere close to this year in the future. He hasn't even won a PGA Tour event in his career yet. He gets so many close finishes, but in the end, the top players usually find a way to win when its close.

Everything you've said is true, but it doesn't change the fact that Chappell likely gives you a better chance at this Ryder Cup. I don't care about how JT could be a Ryder Cup lock later in his career. At this point in his career, there are players who are more likely to play better than him.

Wilt or not, the end of that tournament shows why you don't pick Chappell or Moore. Neither have any ability to shut the door. You leave it open for someone like Rory, he barges it, and wins.

I don't think losing in a playoff to the best player of this generation is much of an indictment on a player's ability. Besides, I'd rather take the guy who was in prime position the entire week and came up just short than the guy who lingered and came up 7 shots back. Plus, I'm not sure if Thomas's 1 career win (at a tournament hardly anybody watched) makes me any more confident about his closing ability at the most pressure-packed event in the game.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Pavel, are you still on the Ryan Lochte defense force?

I'm on the "Brazilian cops are corrupt and made a lot of stuff up, which was later proved with evidence that the media glossed over because they already got in their attack of Lochte, so while Lochte was stupid and did some things that he shouldn't have, it was blown out of proportion" force

Jan 3, 2012
Pavel, are you still on the Ryan Lochte defense force?

I'm on the "Brazilian cops are corrupt and made a lot of stuff up, which was later proved with evidence that the media glossed over because they already got in their attack of Lochte, so while Lochte was stupid and did some things that he shouldn't have, it was blown out of proportion" force

Someone bring me up to speed

that guy is braindead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad